Michelle Wie out of US Women's Open

Shilgy

Not really a surprise at this point but Wie has withdrawn from next week's championship.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/39512337

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

> @mallrat said:

> To be honest, I don’t see much more professional golf from her.

Unfortunately, I agree with this assessment if I had to bet on one scenario. Medical outcomes are a bit random (both ways) but she's always been banged up, and just playing the odds it's not going to get easier. Even if she wants to put in the effort (to be a better than average player), I'm not sure her body will let her do so. Add in potential life changes and getting healthy/making cuts on tour for a couple of years would probably be a reasonably good outcome. One more win (any tournament) would be amazing.

> @agolf1 said:

> > @mallrat said:

> > To be honest, I don’t see much more professional golf from her.

> Unfortunately, I agree with this assessment if I had to bet on one scenario. Medical outcomes are a bit random (both ways) but she's always been banged up, and just playing the odds it's not going to get easier. Even if she wants to put in the effort (to be a better than average player), I'm not sure her body will let her do so. Add in potential life changes and getting healthy/making cuts on tour for a couple of years would probably be a reasonably good outcome. One more win (any tournament) would be amazing.

>

Michelle Wie is in the same boat as Maria Sharapova with regard to their Nike contracts.

They need to show good faith effort to recuperate in order to be paid millions per year.

> @18majors said:

> > @agolf1 said:

> > > @mallrat said:

> > > To be honest, I don’t see much more professional golf from her.

> > Unfortunately, I agree with this assessment if I had to bet on one scenario. Medical outcomes are a bit random (both ways) but she's always been banged up, and just playing the odds it's not going to get easier. Even if she wants to put in the effort (to be a better than average player), I'm not sure her body will let her do so. Add in potential life changes and getting healthy/making cuts on tour for a couple of years would probably be a reasonably good outcome. One more win (any tournament) would be amazing.

> >

>

> Michelle Wie is in the same boat as Maria Sharapova with regard to their Nike contracts.

> They need to show good faith effort to recuperate in order to be paid millions per year.

Anyone know how much longer her big contracts run? That would be an natural exit point.

The 75th ranked player on the money list last year still made a quarter of a million dollars. She could cut back her schedule to 20 tournaments and still break into the top 50.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

If Wie were a stock, it would be classified as “Junk”.

TM SIM2 Max Driver

TM SIM2 Max 3 & 5

PXG 0311 XF Gen 1 4-W 

Titleist SM8 Black Wedges 48-54-58

Srixon Q-Star Tour 
2009 Custom Scotty Cameron Welded Neck 009 35/330g (with a slap of lead tape for sauciness)
“Check your Ego at the Club House and Play the Correct Tees”

She always struck me as someone who was good at golf but didn't love it.

I think she saw more of the "world" when she got to Stanford, realized that she didn't want golf to be her whole life, but also realized that she could make a lot of money, and didn't want to get a real job. Weirdly, the same for most US women in golf who get to the peak for a while (Creamer, Pressel, Gulbis).

She did win a US Open, so it's not like she really underachieved, but I would say that's far from winning the Masters.

Seeing the hunger, discipline and sacrifice evident amongst the current crop of South Koreans I think Wie is simply out-classed at this point (like many players are). When you add other names like Brooke Henderson and Minjee Lee I just don't think Michelle Wie is a name that means that much to a real fan.

I won't say she doesn't want to be out there. She certainly wanted to win 2014 and was healthy enough to do it. I don't know if that's tapered off or if injuries have truly just gotten in the way. Whatever the case, I think she'll be happy to keep showing up and making a few appearances at tournaments each year. I don't really see her quitting and walking away. I'm sure she has the financial freedom to do that but I don't know what she'd honestly be doing with herself and at 30 it's not like you want to just sit around pretending.

TSR3 (Dr) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2 (3w / 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-P) (Nippon Modus3)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

> @legitimategolf said:

> Good riddance

That's a poor attitude to take towards Wie.

At the end of the day she has way more talent than you or I. She can cite multiple professional wins which include a US Open victory at an historic course.

I get the cynicism given the hype that surrounded her but you don't say "good riddance" to someone of Wie's caliber.

It's a bad look...unless of course you've won a few PGA Tour titles yourself?

> @Ferguson said:

> They're running a KT Tape special on her website.

>

> 4 rolls for the price of 2 with a copy of a ticket from an LPGA event.

> Or, 30% off 6 rolls if you decided not to go and can submit a "good reason" for not going.

>

Haha, that's cold. Did she kick your dog or something?

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

> @playar32 said:

> She always struck me as someone who was good at golf but didn't love it.

>

> I think she saw more of the "world" when she got to Stanford, realized that she didn't want golf to be her whole life, but also realized that she could make a lot of money, and didn't want to get a real job. Weirdly, the same for most US women in golf who get to the peak for a while (Creamer, Pressel, Gulbis).

>

> She did win a US Open, so it's not like she really underachieved, but I would say that's far from winning the Masters.

She definitely underachieved. 5 wins in 14 years as a pro. Career riddled with injury and lack luster play.

> @GoGoErky said:

> She definitely underachieved.

She underachieved compared to what though? Next to expectations set by the media which are, at the end of the day, absolutely meaningless?

Who cares who someone else thought she should be? She is her own person with her own life story.

I don't think you can knock anyone who has 5 wins and a US Open to their credit alongside a boatload of sponsorship money.

She won at life. Knocking her for expectations that were conjured up by God-knows-who some 15+ years ago sounds really petty at this stage IMHO.

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

> @MelloYello said:

> > @GoGoErky said:

> > She definitely underachieved.

>

> She underachieved compared to what though? Next to expectations set by the media which are, at the end of the day, absolutely meaningless?

>

> Who cares who someone else thought she should be? She is her own person with her own life story.

>

> I don't think you can knock anyone who has 5 wins and a US Open to their credit alongside a boatload of sponsorship money.

>

> She won at life. Knocking her for expectations that were conjured up by God-knows-who some 15+ years ago sounds really petty at this stage IMHO.

Yes compared to hype she underachieved. Just as Rickie has on the pga tour.

Everyone’s entitled to their own opinion and if some feel she underachieved for whatevet reason or vice versa they are free to think that way.

When you look at the potential compared to results they don’t match up and thus imo she underachieved.

Nothing petty about having an opinion that disagrees with someone else’s opinion.

> @GoGoErky said:

> > @MelloYello said:

> > > @GoGoErky said:

> > > She definitely underachieved.

> >

> > She underachieved compared to what though? Next to expectations set by the media which are, at the end of the day, absolutely meaningless?

> >

> > Who cares who someone else thought she should be? She is her own person with her own life story.

> >

> > I don't think you can knock anyone who has 5 wins and a US Open to their credit alongside a boatload of sponsorship money.

> >

> > She won at life. Knocking her for expectations that were conjured up by God-knows-who some 15+ years ago sounds really petty at this stage IMHO.

>

> Yes compared to hype she underachieved. Just as Rickie has on the pga tour.

>

> Everyone’s entitled to their own opinion and if some feel she underachieved for whatevet reason or vice versa they are free to think that way.

>

> When you look at the potential compared to results they don’t match up and thus imo she underachieved.

>

> Nothing petty about having an opinion that disagrees with someone else’s opinion.

Everyone underachieves compared to the hype. Tiger "only" has 15 majors, yet he was hyped to win everyone he entered. The way Palmer was hyped you would have believed he won every major from 1960-1965.

It's not a petty thing (I don't think), its a realization that playing golf for a living is the achievement, anything else is essentially gravy. It comes down a lot to one swing, one break at that level, hard to project when it's those outcomes.

The Michelle Wie story is essentially he played well in a Hawaii event against men and almost made the cut. Then, she said she wants to play the Masters. Then she did well in a couple of LPGA majors. It's not like she won a ton of amateur events (she did win the Publinks), but it wasn't US Women Amateurs left and right. Underachieving, I think, is a guy like Ryan Moore; had a great amateur year, and has one tour events, played on Ryder cup teams. But winning on tours are hard. Look at Patrick Cantlay, he shot 60 on tour in college. Now he has a couple of wins.

> @playar32 said:

> > @GoGoErky said:

> > > @MelloYello said:

> > > > @GoGoErky said:

> > > > She definitely underachieved.

> > >

> > > She underachieved compared to what though? Next to expectations set by the media which are, at the end of the day, absolutely meaningless?

> > >

> > > Who cares who someone else thought she should be? She is her own person with her own life story.

> > >

> > > I don't think you can knock anyone who has 5 wins and a US Open to their credit alongside a boatload of sponsorship money.

> > >

> > > She won at life. Knocking her for expectations that were conjured up by God-knows-who some 15+ years ago sounds really petty at this stage IMHO.

> >

> > Yes compared to hype she underachieved. Just as Rickie has on the pga tour.

> >

> > Everyone’s entitled to their own opinion and if some feel she underachieved for whatevet reason or vice versa they are free to think that way.

> >

> > When you look at the potential compared to results they don’t match up and thus imo she underachieved.

> >

> > Nothing petty about having an opinion that disagrees with someone else’s opinion.

>

> Everyone underachieves compared to the hype. Tiger "only" has 15 majors, yet he was hyped to win everyone he entered. The way Palmer was hyped you would have believed he won every major from 1960-1965.

>

> It's not a petty thing (I don't think), its a realization that playing golf for a living is the achievement, anything else is essentially gravy. It comes down a lot to one swing, one break at that level, hard to project when it's those outcomes.

>

> The Michelle Wie story is essentially he played well in a Hawaii event against men and almost made the cut. Then, she said she wants to play the Masters. Then she did well in a couple of LPGA majors. It's not like she won a ton of amateur events (she did win the Publinks), but it wasn't US Women Amateurs left and right. Underachieving, I think, is a guy like Ryan Moore; had a great amateur year, and has one tour events, played on Ryder cup teams. But winning on tours are hard. Look at Patrick Cantlay, he shot 60 on tour in college. Now he has a couple of wins.

Cantlay is a need to wait and see situation. He dealt with injuries for 3 years. He’s played well the last couple years

> @MelloYello said:

> > @GoGoErky said:

> > She definitely underachieved.

>

> She underachieved compared to what though? Next to expectations set by the media which are, at the end of the day, absolutely meaningless?

>

> Who cares who someone else thought she should be? She is her own person with her own life story.

>

> I don't think you can knock anyone who has 5 wins and a US Open to their credit alongside a boatload of sponsorship money.

>

> She won at life. Knocking her for expectations that were conjured up by God-knows-who some 15+ years ago sounds really petty at this stage IMHO.

Expectations she and her family created - everyone knows that.

Wearing the KT tape to "demonstrate her injuries" and get attention.

She won at life - what does that mean?

That's she drives a Kia, has blonde hair and can order at Starbucks?

She's 29 - her life has yet to begin.

And marriage? She can't hold a swing together for 4 rounds - marriage is a commitment.

I give it 36 months or less.

> @Ferguson said:

> > @MelloYello said:

> > > @GoGoErky said:

> >

> > She underachieved compared to what though? Next to expectations set by the media which are, at the end of the day, absolutely meaningless?

> >

> > Who cares who someone else thought she should be? She is her own person with her own life story.

> >

> > I don't think you can knock anyone who has 5 wins and a US Open to their credit alongside a boatload of sponsorship money.

> >

> > She won at life. Knocking her for expectations that were conjured up by God-knows-who some 15+ years ago sounds really petty at this stage IMHO.

>

>

> Expectations she and her family created - everyone knows that.

> Wearing the KT tape to "demonstrate her injuries" and get attention.

>

> She won at life - what does that mean?

> That's she drives a Kia, has blonde hair and can order at Starbucks?

> She's 29 - her life has yet to begin.

>

> And marriage? She can't hold a swing together for 4 rounds - marriage is a commitment.

> I give it 36 months or less.

>

>

Haha, wow...bro...I know it's the internet but jeez, that level of bitterness ain't a good look on anyone!

Listen bud, when you're set for life by age 30 and have multiple wins with a major to your credit at the highest level of your respective sport...you've won the first third of your life by anyone's measuring stick this side of guys named Woods and Nicklaus. Michelle can walk away knowing the hundreds of thousands of practice reps were worth it.

I find your comments about her personal life just sour grapes. Why even be like that? Just sounds real immature.

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

> @GoGoErky said:

>

> Yes compared to hype she underachieved. Just as Rickie has on the pga tour.

>

> Everyone’s entitled to their own opinion and if some feel she underachieved for whatevet reason or vice versa they are free to think that way.

>

> When you look at the potential compared to results they don’t match up and thus imo she underachieved.

>

> Nothing petty about having an opinion that disagrees with someone else’s opinion.

But these aren't just storylines. They're real people. You can say Rickie underachieved but how do you know that? Last I checked _you are what your record says you are._

So instead of saying Rickie ought to have a major by now why don't we just look at the facts. He doesn't have any.

I know you think about him and that makes you believe he's good, but who cares how many ads he's in or how many Golf Digest covers he's been on? That doesn't determine who wins tournaments, does it?

Expectations are for writers and those same writers often get the ire of athletes for spouting a bunch of nonsense about how things ought to be. You know, we don't write history. We record history. Let's remember that.

Michelle Wie has way more game than me. I think that's awesome.

She has way more money than me. I think that's awesome, too.

I would love to be great at golf and rich....oh, and still young? Yeah, that's _#winning_ if I ever saw it. She's got a connection to Stanford and is getting ready to move into a new phase of life with marriage.

Why would any of that put someone off?

I would never try and stop someone from being a grumpy old man but at the same time, I'm just offering a hand up saying, _'you don't have to be that way.'_ You can just be happy for her if you choose to let the resentment go.

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

> @MelloYello said:

> > @Ferguson said:

> > > @MelloYello said:

> > > > @GoGoErky said:

> > > > She definitely underachieved.

> > >

> > > She underachieved compared to what though? Next to expectations set by the media which are, at the end of the day, absolutely meaningless?

> > >

> > > Who cares who someone else thought she should be? She is her own person with her own life story.

> > >

> > > I don't think you can knock anyone who has 5 wins and a US Open to their credit alongside a boatload of sponsorship money.

> > >

> > > She won at life. Knocking her for expectations that were conjured up by God-knows-who some 15+ years ago sounds really petty at this stage IMHO.

> >

> >

> > Expectations she and her family created - everyone knows that.

> > Wearing the KT tape to "demonstrate her injuries" and get attention.

> >

> > She won at life - what does that mean?

> > That's she drives a Kia, has blonde hair and can order at Starbucks?

> > She's 29 - her life has yet to begin.

> >

> > And marriage? She can't hold a swing together for 4 rounds - marriage is a commitment.

> > I give it 36 months or less.

> >

> >

>

> Haha, wow...bro...I know it's the internet but jeez, that level of bitterness ain't a good look on anyone!

>

> Listen bud, when you're set for life by age 30 and have multiple wins with a major to your credit at the highest level of your respective sport...you've won the first third of your life by anyone's measuring stick this side of guys named Woods and Nicklaus. Michelle can walk away knowing the hundreds of thousands of practice reps were worth it.

>

> I find your comments about her personal life just sour grapes. Why even be like that? Just sounds real immature.

>

>

>

Sorry, I just tell it like it is. In my humble opinion, she aligned herself with the wrong people and the result was a poor career (given her access to monetary resources and instructors).

How do you know she feels "set for life?"

Is marriage going to make it better?

> @Ferguson said:

> > @MelloYello said:

> > > @Ferguson said:

> > > > @MelloYello said:

> > > > > @GoGoErky said:

> > > > > She definitely underachieved.

> > > >

> > > > She underachieved compared to what though? Next to expectations set by the media which are, at the end of the day, absolutely meaningless?

> > > >

> > > > Who cares who someone else thought she should be? She is her own person with her own life story.

> > > >

> > > > I don't think you can knock anyone who has 5 wins and a US Open to their credit alongside a boatload of sponsorship money.

> > > >

> > > > She won at life. Knocking her for expectations that were conjured up by God-knows-who some 15+ years ago sounds really petty at this stage IMHO.

> > >

> > >

> > > Expectations she and her family created - everyone knows that.

> > > Wearing the KT tape to "demonstrate her injuries" and get attention.

> > >

> > > She won at life - what does that mean?

> > > That's she drives a Kia, has blonde hair and can order at Starbucks?

> > > She's 29 - her life has yet to begin.

> > >

> > > And marriage? She can't hold a swing together for 4 rounds - marriage is a commitment.

> > > I give it 36 months or less.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > Haha, wow...bro...I know it's the internet but jeez, that level of bitterness ain't a good look on anyone!

> >

> > Listen bud, when you're set for life by age 30 and have multiple wins with a major to your credit at the highest level of your respective sport...you've won the first third of your life by anyone's measuring stick this side of guys named Woods and Nicklaus. Michelle can walk away knowing the hundreds of thousands of practice reps were worth it.

> >

> > I find your comments about her personal life just sour grapes. Why even be like that? Just sounds real immature.

> >

> >

> >

>

> Sorry, I just tell it like it is. In my humble opinion, she aligned herself with the wrong people and the result was a poor career (given her access to monetary resources and instructors).

> How do you know she feels "set for life?"

> Is marriage going to make it better?

>

>

First off, she is _financially_ set for life which is a _huge accomplishment_ for someone twice her age, let alone someone still in their relative youth. I applaud her for that. If she wasn't a prodigy and didn't put in the work early she never would've gotten the backing of Nike and all that.

In regards to her swing changes, I'm with you. I would've preferred her do something different and manage herself differently.

Lastly, why do you even feel that need to bring up her personal life? How does her marriage even concern you? To me, your comments are quite rude and just seem out of line. If that's your opinion I don't see the need to publish it on the internet as though people need to read it. Sorry to sound rude, but _you_ brought that stuff into it.

You clearly don't like her. Now, don't get me wrong. I understand. Some folks just seem annoying. I personally think YJS is as narcissistic as they come. He's Ian Poulter without the British humor and with a better golf game, all of which makes him 10x worse!

But to hate on Michelle Wie just seems silly. She's as nice as they come. I don't sense any condescension there at all.

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

> @Ferguson said:

> > @MelloYello said:

> > > @GoGoErky said:

> >

> >

> >

> >

>

>

> Expectations she and her family created - everyone knows that.

> Wearing the KT tape to "demonstrate her injuries" and get attention.

>

> She won at life - what does that mean?

> That's she drives a Kia, has blonde hair and can order at Starbucks?

> She's 29 - her life has yet to begin.

>

> And marriage? She can't hold a swing together for 4 rounds - marriage is a commitment.

> I give it 36 months or less.

>

>

Your last comment is obnoxious and uncalled for.

Tough crowd.

I wish Michelle well and hope she enjoys a happy and successful life. The world is full of haters that love to throw around words like "underachiever" and bag on her for her various other personnel reasons. She'll be back playing, and I believe, winning again, and golf will be better off for it. She's a fan magnet (and to a lesser extent, a hater magnet), and the game needs more people like her.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

> @Ferguson said:

> And if all we see as fans is the hype and marketing, what else do you/we know?

To each his own.

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS