Best high end golf ball in the wind ?

Viking Golfer

Which one do you prefer ?
I need some advice for the best golf ball in windy conditions :drinks:

My ball of choice now is the Taylor Made Black Tp '07 ball - I still have 5 dozen left and love this ball for normal conditions.
Sometimes I could need a ball, that didn't balloon on me, when I'm playing in windy conditions - is the Tp Red the obvious choice here or would you recommend something else ?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I played in borderline gale force winds the other day.... To my surprise the hx tour 56 did the best of the TM Black TP LDP, Bridgestone e5 and TM Burner TP. By this I mean instead of a 6 iron getting taken 25 yards offline it only went about 17 yards offline....

We played 27 holes with 2 balls per person (empty course on a Wednesday).

I don't know how the pro's do it at the links courses in the uk... The wind completely threw my balance... I couldn't even putt properly....

There was an issue w/ the new Callaway balls a couple of years ago on tour because they weren't effected as dramatically by the wind as all the balls the pros were used to using. A couple of guys even took them out of play because they couldn't get used to how minimal the effect of the wind was on the new balls. There really must be something to the hex dimple pattern.

BDLz

Have played in wind all my life here in Oklahoma City. Days when it is 25-30 mph (which is normal) with gusts upward of that, playing a ball that performs well in crosswinds and into headwinds is critical. I have used every premium ball on the market and come to find that some balls perform better into crosswinds and others into headwinds. But only three models seem above the rest.

1. Bridgestone B330/ B330s.

2. Wilson Staff Staff Tx4 Pro.

IMO

Another vote for the Taylormade LDP Red

ditto, the tp red ldp is amazing in the wind, i've played in pretty heavy gusts and that ball doesn't balloon or get affected much by the wind. perfect when you're trying to hit those "hold" shots against a crosswind. second place would go to the callaway tour ix. but the tp red gets first because not only does it perform great in the wind, but it's great from 100 yds and in as well, it's really easy for me to control distance and spin with that ball as opposed to other balls i have tried. i usually go tp red for windy, tp black for normal conditions.

WITB 2023
- Srixon Zx5 mkII 10.5*, Tensei AV Blue 55s
-TSi2 16.5* Accra FX 2.0
-TSi2 18* hybrid, Fuji Motore F3
-TSi2 21* hybrid, Fuji Motore F3
-ZX7 5-PW, Fuji Pro 85
-50/54/58 Cleveland Zipcore TR, Fuji Pro 95 TS
-Sik Pro-C
-2023 Z-Star Diamond

tm tp red ldp and nike one black 2006 are the best wind balls i've used.

[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike covert tour 2.0 w/ diamana blueboard 83[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike sq 2 tour 15* w/ ust v2 95 tour[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 18* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 22* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike pro combo tour 4-pw[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 52*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 58*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]scotty cameron newport beach[/size][/font][/color]

TP Red LDP seems to be the least affected by the wind in my experience.

Agree 100% !

PING G430 Max 10K Driver 8º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 5

PING G430 Max 3 Wood 14º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 6

Titleist TSr2 5 Wood 18º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 7

Titleist TSr2 7 Wood 21º ~ GD Tour AD-XC 8

Srixon ZX4 Mk II Irons 5–7 ~ Project X IO 6.0

Srixon ZX5 Mk II Irons 8–P ~ Project X IO 6.0

Vokey Design SM9 Raw Wedges 'Voke' Handground 50.12F • 56.08M • 62.08M ~ Project X 6.0
Odyssey  Tri-Hot 5K Three ~ BGT Stability Tour 2 Polar
Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

for the wind i think the TP Red LDP works the best.

Cobra Speedzone 9* w/ Tensei Pro White 70x
Mizuno ST200 15* w/Accra TZ5 100x Prototype
Taylormade P790 2i w/Recoil 120x Prototype
Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 4i-5i w/DG X7
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged 6i-PW w/DG X7
Mizuno S18 50*/57* w/DG X100
Callaway MD5 64* w/DG S400
Kevin Burns Custom 9304

I played a TP Red LDP yesterday and it was as if the wind wasn't even blowing even though it was 15-20 mph. I didn't even think about that it was supposed to be a good wind ball till after several holes, the thing just goes straight. Sergio wasn't joking when he said it was great in the wind.

I totally agree and got the same reaction. The wind was blowing at least 25-30 mph right in our faces. The first two guys ballooned a couple of shots getting close to 200 yards, they average 250 or so. I was expecting the same thing, but my ball just soared into the wind like any other shot, although the wind knocked it down to 225.

TP Red LDP seems to be the least affected by the wind in my experience.

Agree 100% !

Agree agree 100% - apart from the fact that I prefer the Black LDP! :clapping:

I think TM has winners in the Red and Black LDP's...

cheers,

Soeren

My bag
TM SIM2 Max driver, G425 Max woods, Titleist 818 hybrid, Srixon Z565 irons, Vokey SM7 wedges, Yes Tracy III putter

It may not be a "high end" ball, but the Wilson Zip is the best wind ball I have played - period. Good distance, plenty of iron spin, and a reasonably durable cover. I have never been able to find Wilson's Tour ball, but I would be shocked if it didn't have similar performance. The shallow hex dimples are fantastic for wind play.

In terms of tour balls, all the Cally balls have worked best for me - again - Hex dimples.

• 2 years later...

Well this reply is two years too late but I'm glad I read all of the comments and replies. I'm sure you have found a great wind ball by now. I also play the Taylor Made Black TP as of a couple weeks ago. I was real happy with the ball. I never played it in over 10 mph winds until today. 35mph today and the ball was all over the place. Hitting straight into the wind it would do one of 3 things. Move way left with the draw, move way right with the fade and move sky high with a perfect straight shot and then move with the wind. I lost 5 balls in the first 9 holes. I thought I need a softer slow spin ball and looked in my bag for some used balls I had found. I spotted this Woman's Callaway Pearl. I didn't know what to expect, but I was really impressed. The ball was great. It didn't have a real soft feel to me. But OMG it cut through the wind and even shots I mis-hit slightly were still on the fairway. I'm thinking about blacking out the Pearl and using them on windy days. I wish they made a Mans version of the ball. To me it felt like a Bridgestone e6 but even straighter. Oh well that is my two cents worth. Although I like the Tp Black I will never use it again in high winds. I'll try the TP red
[quote name='Viking Golfer ' timestamp='1215056393' post='1148170']
I need some advice for the best golf ball in windy conditions :)

My ball of choice now is the Taylor Made Black Tp '07 ball - I still have 5 dozen left and love this ball for normal conditions.
Sometimes I could need a ball, that didn't balloon on me, when I'm playing in windy conditions - is the Tp Red the obvious choice here or would you recommend something else ?
[/quote]

I think the Cally HX Series followed closely by the Wilson TX4.

[/quote]

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

I play in wind all the time and the best ball I found was the Nike One Black or the Nike Tour D. I also like the Bridgestone B330s. I wish I could find several dozen of the Nike One Blacks, since they are no longer available. I am talking about the first generation Nike One Black.

Titleist 910D3 9.5 w/Diamana D+ 72s
Titleist 910F 15 w/stock Kai'li 75s
Titleist 910H 19 w/stock Kai'li 80s
Titleist AP2 712 3-W DGS300
Vokey SM4 52-08 & 56-11
Bettinardi BC6 34" 343g

Anyone that has success using TM TP Black undoubtedly appreciates it's spin. That being said, TM TP Black spun too much for me, so my choice for the wind I face was TM TP Red tournament, which I have a few dozen left. Callaway's comparable ball to TP Black is Callaway i(s).

Since the introduction of Callaway i(z) I switched and never looked back. It's fantastic in windy conditions. Callaway's i(z) ball is by far is not only superior feel overall it's longer then both TM TP Red, TM TP Black, and my prior ProV1X. I just hope Callaway doesn't mess with it for a while.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

Has anyone tested the TM Penta ? I play the TM Black, and the TM Reds are
not being made, to my knowledge. Seen a few comments on the Callaway i{z}'s,
curious to what you think of those balls around the greens? While I have played the
CALLAWAY I {Z}, found ball only, I have not bought any. Any further information you
could share?

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

Puttingmatt... use the search function. I wrote a rather lengthy review on Callaway i(z) a month or so after switching. As for the Penta - all I came away with after having one in play for 3 rounds was it's meant to be the "every man's ball"... cover feels too soft, and it's not as long as Red either. Sorry, I can't say much about Penta...

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

Thanks Pepperturbo, I will read it. I am always looking
at getting the most out of golfballs. I must say that I have been
quite happy with the TM blacks. I've gamed them for 2 - 3 seasons
now !!

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

I echo the TP Red LDP ball as one the best balls ever ! And I have non.. cant buy anymore.. and The Penta stinks ( sorry TMade engineers) . Rumours are that the tour guys are still using the Red- rebadged with Penta on it.

The Red on the drive and all long balls - wow. But around the 140 yards in, the Srixon Z Star is my choice by a smidgeon.

[/quote]

I've had good luck with the Nike One Tour D ball. I switched to this ball after playing the ProV1X. As a plus lots of places are selling them for $30 a dozen or less. Can't go wrong.