Old Mizunos vs. demo Srixon....what to do?

2717B2717B Members Posts: 279 ✭✭

I’ve been playing my Mizunos for about 10 years. Regular flex, 105g shaft, 2 degrees upright. I like the looks of the Srixon Z785’s and decided to demo. The Srixons are stiff shaft, 120g and standard lie. After a couple of hours of hitting 6 irons side by side, I can tell very little difference in the ball flight, how they hold greens etc. 6 of one, a half dozen of the other. I don’t have real data to share, but could not tell much difference between the two. I’ve got some $ saved for new irons, but it seems hard to justify buying another set. Now what?

Comments

• 2putttom2putttom # 1 Oregon Duck fan Members Posts: 10,009 ✭✭

Srixon

Tour Exotics E 10 15*
    Srixon 785's w/G P MCC plus 4
    Mizuno T 7 52 MP T7 56 &60
    Bobby Grace [font=comic sans ms,cursive]SNYPER [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]II [/font][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]46"[/font][/font]
    Oregon Ducks Bag
  • moadhiamoadhia Members Posts: 284 ✭✭

Stick with mizuno. With free shaft and grip upgrade included in the price, get a proper fitting done and you will be very happy

• RogerinNewZealandRogerinNewZealand Members Posts: 2,403 ✭✭

Both are good but buy the Srixons and try something different that is also going to have a Cult Following within 5 years.Swapping shafts is a standard task as a wrx'r !

2019 May

Ping [email protected] 10.5
    Tee 16.5
    Tm V Steel @ 18

Mizuno MP 63 DGR300 at D4

Vokey SM5 50 08 F Old SM at 54 and SM6 58S 10

Titleist Scotty Mid Slant Pro Platinum at 34 and a Half!

• greenwavegolfergreenwavegolfer Members Posts: 142 ✭✭

@moadhia said:
    Stick with mizuno. With free shaft and grip upgrade included in the price, get a proper fitting done and you will be very happy

Srixon has tons of free shaft/grip options too. I'd say as many as Mizuno. Also I don't think his question was new Mizunos or the Srixons but rather the Srixons or just keep the old irons since they're giving him the same results.

WITB:

Ping G400 LST 10º (Playing 9º) Accra TZ5 65 M4
    Titleist T-MB 2i (17º) Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 95X
    Srixon Z-785 3i/4i Nippon Modus Tour 120X
    Srixon Z-Forged 5i-PW Nippon Modus Tour 120X
    Titleist SM5 50º SM6 54º, 58º Dynamic Gold S200
    Ping Sigma 2 Tyne
  • MRL1984MRL1984 Members Posts: 247 ✭✭

If there is no notable difference then spend your money elsewhere. I know it's the wrx way but no point spending the money to change the look of your club.

• TommyjTommyj Members Posts: 396 ✭✭

Save your money until you find something better than your current setup.

• craz-ecraz-e Members Posts: 4,117 ✭✭

Keep your money in your pocket!
    If you are intent on buying wait until something knocks your socks off!

Driver = Ping G410 Plus even flow black 6.0
    3 wood = Ping G410 Tour S
    Irons = Miura 1957 Baby Blades Project X LZ 6.0 (4-PW)
    Wilson Staff FG59 DG S300's (4-PW)
    Titleist 718 MB Project X LZ 6.0 (4-PW)
    Wedges = Titleist Vokey SM6 52*, 56* and 60*

Putter = Wilson Staff 8882
    Ball = Titleist AVX
  • JAMH03JAMH03 Members Posts: 623 ✭✭

@2717B said:
    I’ve been playing my Mizunos for about 10 years. Regular flex, 105g shaft, 2 degrees upright. I like the looks of the Srixon Z785’s and decided to demo. The Srixons are stiff shaft, 120g and standard lie. After a couple of hours of hitting 6 irons side by side, I can tell very little difference in the ball flight, how they hold greens etc. 6 of one, a half dozen of the other. I don’t have real data to share, but could not tell much difference between the two. I’ve got some $ saved for new irons, but it seems hard to justify buying another set. Now what?

• Regrip,
    • Adjust loft and lies.
    • New wedges
    • Driver fitting!
    • Putter fitting
    • lets go!

Comparisons are odious.

• 2717B2717B Members Posts: 279 ✭✭

Appreciate the comments. I agree, my 10 y.o. Mizunos are hard to beat. The kid in me wants something new, but the rationale part of me says stick with what works......even if it isn’t the latest and greatest.

I also find it interesting that with everything I have read about getting fit, the set up of the two irons could not be more different......yet they seemed to perform similarly on the course. Go figure!

• rxk9fanrxk9fan MidwestMembers Posts: 794 ✭✭

For me, the choice between the two brands in general is if you work best with the conventional Mizuno sole or the Srixon V sole. Outside of that, both do great forgings so the feel, finish, etc.. is very close.

Mizuno 190ST with Tensei Blue Stiff
    Taylormade M4 tour 3 wood with stiff Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited
    Cobra Baffler 6 with UST Elements Stiff
    Srixon U65 4i with SteelFiber R
    Srixon Z765 with SteelFiber R shafts
    Vokey 58, 54, 50
    O-Works 7s

I am thinking about playing golf next year instead of HOing clubs!  
    Oh, changed my mind and still HOing ....but HC finally moving in the right direction.
    Definitions: HOing is changing any spot in your bag 3 or more times in a year
                       Optimizing is changing any/every spot in your bag up to twice a year :-)
  • chisagchisag Members Posts: 2,968 ✭✭

... I the most people would be shocked at how little they hit their irons during a round. Chart a round and write down all the irons you use and my guess is several won't be used at all. That said, they are still the Crown Jewels of our bag and I currently have 4 sets I use. The P760's and Cobra Tour Forged are interchangeable while the P790s and 588TT's have different attributes but are equally fun to play. I think most of us "upgrade" our irons because it is fun, not for an increase in performance. Although now that irons are $1100 to $1500 a set it isn't as much fun as it used to be. So your Mizuno's will probably be just as effective as some new Srixons, just not as much fun.

Cobra F9 Tour Length ... Atmos Blue TS 65s
    Cobra F9 15.5* ... Atmos Blue TS 75s
    Tailor-made RBZ Tour 18.5 and 21.5 hybrid ... Matrix Altus 85s
    TaylorMade UDi 18* TP 2 iron... HZRDUS Black 85hy
    4-pw TaylorMade P760 ... Recoil Prototype 95's
    SM6 52* F Grind /SM7 D Grind 58* ... Recoil 110s
    Bobby Grace 6330 ... 33.5"