Iron shaft selection

2717B ·  
2717B2717B Members  283WRX Points: 87Posts: 283 Greens

I’ve been trying some new irons (Srixon 785’s). The stock offering is a Modus 120 s flex. After comparing the ball flight, dispersion etc. to my 105g R Dynamic Golds, I don’t see much difference in ball flight, dispersion etc. In short, I felt like I hit the stock club just fine. I’m sure I could try another dozen shafts, and at the end of the day, a fitter would recommend a couple, and tell me to go play and get used to them. I have heard good things about so many shafts. That said, I recall that the Modus has more flex in the butt end. I have a feeling that one could second guess their decision with so many choices. Is the Modus 120 s too much for someone with a 95 mph driver ss (fairly smooth tempo). My HCP is a 4. Perhaps Srixon feels that that shaft just fits the head well.....and I should take their word for it? I bought stock irons last time and that turned out pretty good. Interestingly, I got fit for a driver a few years ago, but do better with a stock offering that was a gift. What to do.....ugggggh.

Posted:

Comments

• MattGolfsMattGolfs San DiegoMembers  146WRX Points: 78Handicap: 11.4Posts: 146 Fairways

I went to a demo day a couple weeks ago and got fit by the Mizuno swing DNA to the Modus 120s. I was playing mp64s with DGS300s and after the fitting ended up finding the Srixon z785 with the Modus 120 S shafts at a killer deal so I bought them. I was a little nervous about how much lighter the modus 120s. My driver swings is 95-105 and the modus don’t feel too soft and I prefer their weight now to the DGs!

Posted:
    • PING G400 Max 9° w/ Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 60 6.5 flex
    • Titleist 915F 3 Wood w/ Diamana S+ 70 Stiff flex
    • Callaway Apex 3 hybrid w/ Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage Black 80 gram stiff
    • Srixon Z785 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff
    • Cleveland RTX4 50°10 and 56°10 w/ KBS C-Taper stiff
    • Taylormade Hi-Toe 60°ATV w/ KBS hi-rev 2.0
    • Byron Morgan 620
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • GolfrnutGolfrnut Members  7596WRX Points: 433Posts: 7,596 Titanium Tees

On -, @2717B said:

I’ve been trying some new irons (Srixon 785’s). The stock offering is a Modus 120 s flex. After comparing the ball flight, dispersion etc. to my 105g R Dynamic Golds, I don’t see much difference in ball flight, dispersion etc. In short, I felt like I hit the stock club just fine. I’m sure I could try another dozen shafts, and at the end of the day, a fitter would recommend a couple, and tell me to go play and get used to them. I have heard good things about so many shafts. That said, I recall that the Modus has more flex in the butt end. I have a feeling that one could second guess their decision with so many choices. Is the Modus 120 s too much for someone with a 95 mph driver ss (fairly smooth tempo). My HCP is a 4. Perhaps Srixon feels that that shaft just fits the head well.....and I should take their word for it? I bought stock irons last time and that turned out pretty good. Interestingly, I got fit for a driver a few years ago, but do better with a stock offering that was a gift. What to do.....ugggggh.

The 120 S and the 105 R aren't that far apart. I don't think I have numbers for the 105 DG shaft, but would not be surprised in the lower/tip is stiffer in the 105 R than the 120 S. IIRC the standard weight DG R flex is. The 120 is not that stiff a profile, they are softer than their DG counterparts. There is going to be about a 10 gram weight difference between the two.

Don't overthink things too much.

Posted:
    TM M3 440 w/ Speeder Evo II 6.1 TS
    TM M4 13.5 "Small Version"  w/ BB S+ 70
    Taylormade P790 2 UDI w/ DG 105R or M3 19* 5W w/ BB S+ 70
    Taylormade P790 3 Iron w/ DG AMT White R300
    4-PW Nike VR Pro MBs w/ DG AMT White R300
    Callaway MD3 52* & 58* PM grind
    Odyssey MXM 1W
  • Stuart_GStuart_G New HampshireMembers  24803WRX Points: 1,485Posts: 24,803 Titanium Tees

On -, @2717B said:

Is the Modus 120 s too much for someone with a 95 mph driver ss (fairly smooth tempo). My HCP is a 4. Perhaps Srixon feels that that shaft just fits the head well.....and I should take their word for it? I bought stock irons last time and that turned out pretty good. Interestingly, I got fit for a driver a few years ago, but do better with a stock offering that was a gift. What to do.....ugggggh.

Stock offerings are selected for a lot of different reasons - but how well they fit the head model isn't one of them - or not one that anyone should take seriously. The shaft needs to be a good fit for the player and their swing - the head doesn't care what shaft is swinging it - and the shaft doesn't care what head is on the end of it. And stock shafts are not necessarily inferior just because they are the stock offerings (particularly with irons) so that's not a valid reason to shy away from them.

The concept that a shaft can be "too much" or "cant handle" a particular swing speed is a very common misconception. From the shaft's standpoint - there is very little requirement as far as how much loading there should be or too much loading. Or to put it another way, there is no actual objective "ideal" as to how much loading there should be in the shaft - and therefore how much stiffness a particular individual should play.

The only concept that really matters or makes a big difference for stiffness comes from the perceptions from the player as to whether it's too much or not enough. If a player develops certain expectations (usually based on past experience) on how much loading/unloading they should feel, and a particular shaft does not meet those expectations - then problems in the swing can be a result.

Shaft weight is generally a much more important spec to consider - and how well the heft feel matches with your particular tempo and rhythm.

So simply put - with your skill level and experience - put a little faith in your perception of how the shaft feels (both for stiffness and weight). If it feels good and performs well, then that's almost the best you can ask for. If it doesn't feel quite right and/or you think it might take some time to adjust to the different feel, then I'd say move on to a different selection.

Posted:
  • mogc60mogc60 Members  1016WRX Points: 486Posts: 1,016 Platinum Tees

The above post should be in the holy book of golf. If all shafts were blank and unmarked or labeled we would all use what feels and works best without the stigma of flex being too much or too little. Awesome post and well explained.

Posted:

CALLAWAY EPIC FLASH SZ 9 EV BLACK 75 6.5 44 1/4”
    CALLAWAY EPIC FLASH SZ 15 MATRIX HD9 STRONG 41.5”
    WILSON FG5 TOUR 17* RIP PHENOM 100 S
    SRIXON Z FORGED 3-PW CATALYST 100 6.5
    CLEVELAND RTX4 50* CATALYST 100 6.0
    CLEVELAND RTX4 54* CATALYST 100 6.0
    CLEVELAND RTX4 58* MODUS 120X
    SEEMORE mFGP20 PLATINUM 38”
    SNELL MTB-X

• avguyavguy Replacement Player Sonoran Desert, AZMembers  1129WRX Points: 143Posts: 1,129 Platinum Tees

Starting in 2008, I began playing more than 1x/mo., and acquiring many golf sets. At times, I had 4 iron sets to rotate in. This diseased approach is required for me to keep interested in golf, as it was never my fav. outdoors hobby. ;)

So, now down to 3 sets of irons, shaft weight and feel is an item I can notice. My current sets are all rated at stiff or firm flex steel, with the range going from 107>110>115g. They are also different OEMs for the shafts. I think the key is staying so spec close. In the past, I played all heavier shafts with 115g at the bottom end going up to 128g. Again, close enough for rotation in same month. YMMV

Posted:
    BAG ONE:                                                                                                                                    BAG TWO:
    D-Titleist 917 D2                                                                                                              D-Cobra F9 Tour Length 
    5- Mizuno MP titanium                                                                                                    3-TM R11ti
    H-Titleist 915 H1 18, Titleist 816  H1 21, Hireko CF 25                                                 H-TM 2.0 SF 18 & 21, Cobra AC 25
    I - Titleist T100 5-P/Kurokage TiNi 105                                                                          I - TM P7605-P/Recoils 110 
    W- Mizuno 52, Vokey SM6 58                                                                                        W- Mizuno 53, & 58
    P- Bellum Winmore Midi  787                                                                                         P-Guerin TS Black 370

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.