NCAA Men’s Championship

Admittedly haven’t watched much more than an hour today. Match play is better drama, plus it’s a holiday weekend.

My one thought leading into tomorrow: Cowboys are STACKED. Three players in the top 10. Number one amateur in the world was their fourth score, still came in at 15! Just ridiculous. Three teams moving on to match play had their highest ranking stroke play score lower than 15th.

Would have enjoyed seeing Auburn make the 8th spot, give a little more interest for the Driven show.

> @BertGA said:

> Admittedly haven’t watched much more than an hour today. Match play is better drama, plus it’s a holiday weekend.

>

> My one thought leading into tomorrow: Cowboys are STACKED. Three players in the top 10. Number one amateur in the world was their fourth score, still came in at 15! Just ridiculous. Three teams moving on to match play had their highest ranking stroke play score lower than 15th.

>

> Would have enjoyed seeing Auburn make the 8th spot, give a little more interest for the Driven show.

I watched quite a bit yesterday. I have two observations;

1. Wolff is a very talented golfer and we will see him on the Tour soon.

2. Wolff has the ugliest swing I have ever seen for a golfer at that level. He looks like a 15 capper with all those moving parts. I have no idea how he makes that ugly swing work.

> @Roadking2003 said:

> > @BertGA said:

> > Admittedly haven’t watched much more than an hour today. Match play is better drama, plus it’s a holiday weekend.

> >

> > My one thought leading into tomorrow: Cowboys are STACKED. Three players in the top 10. Number one amateur in the world was their fourth score, still came in at 15! Just ridiculous. Three teams moving on to match play had their highest ranking stroke play score lower than 15th.

> >

> > Would have enjoyed seeing Auburn make the 8th spot, give a little more interest for the Driven show.

>

> I watched quite a bit yesterday. I have two observations;

>

> 1. Wolff is a very talented golfer and we will see him on the Tour soon.

> 2. Wolff has the ugliest swing I have ever seen for a golfer at that level. He looks like a 15 capper with all those moving parts. I have no idea how he makes that ugly swing work.

Strip away everything except for impact position and you'll see he's in a perfect position every time. The ball doesn't care how you got there.

• Like 1
There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

> @leezer99 said:

> > @Roadking2003 said:

> > > @BertGA said:

> > > Admittedly haven’t watched much more than an hour today. Match play is better drama, plus it’s a holiday weekend.

> > >

> > > My one thought leading into tomorrow: Cowboys are STACKED. Three players in the top 10. Number one amateur in the world was their fourth score, still came in at 15! Just ridiculous. Three teams moving on to match play had their highest ranking stroke play score lower than 15th.

> > >

> > > Would have enjoyed seeing Auburn make the 8th spot, give a little more interest for the Driven show.

> >

> > I watched quite a bit yesterday. I have two observations;

> >

> > 1. Wolff is a very talented golfer and we will see him on the Tour soon.

> > 2. Wolff has the ugliest swing I have ever seen for a golfer at that level. He looks like a 15 capper with all those moving parts. I have no idea how he makes that ugly swing work.

>

> Strip away everything except for impact position and you'll see he's in a perfect position every time. The ball doesn't care how you got there.

I agree. It obviously works for him. I've just never seen such an ugly swing on such a good golfer.

I think Rickie Fowler used to have what I called a 'slashing swing' until it got toned down by (Butchie?). If Furyk can make it this far and at this age on PGA tour with that funky 'back, up over and drop it down under' swing, Wolff is no problem :smiley: .

> @leezer99 said:

> > @Roadking2003 said:

> > > @BertGA said:

> > > Admittedly haven’t watched much more than an hour today. Match play is better drama, plus it’s a holiday weekend.

> > >

> > > My one thought leading into tomorrow: Cowboys are STACKED. Three players in the top 10. Number one amateur in the world was their fourth score, still came in at 15! Just ridiculous. Three teams moving on to match play had their highest ranking stroke play score lower than 15th.

> > >

> > > Would have enjoyed seeing Auburn make the 8th spot, give a little more interest for the Driven show.

> >

> > I watched quite a bit yesterday. I have two observations;

> >

> > 1. Wolff is a very talented golfer and we will see him on the Tour soon.

> > 2. Wolff has the ugliest swing I have ever seen for a golfer at that level. He looks like a 15 capper with all those moving parts. I have no idea how he makes that ugly swing work.

>

> Strip away everything except for impact position and you'll see he's in a perfect position every time. The ball doesn't care how you got there.

GHIN Index 12.9
LH Epic Flash Driver-LH, 10.5*, Project X EvenFlow Riptide 50 (Light)
LH Callaway Rogue 5-wood (18*), 7-wood (20*); Aldila Synergy 60-Reg
LH Callaway Rogue ST Pro 4-AW, Recoil Dart 75 F3
LH Cleveland RTX 50*, 54*, 58*
LH Odyssey Double Wide Stroke Lab Putter

A sore point for OSU'ers was that if they never did the switch where they went to Medal/Match Play, OSU would have had at least another 3 National Championships. Add salt to injury, OSU athletic director at the time was a proponent FOR MATCH PLAY and at the time it was instituted, OSU won medal play 2 years running only to lose in match play (I believe)..... that was a sore spot. Not sure if those were the losses to Augusta State at the time or earlier?

I think i'd like another type of match play I've seen played at some collegiate events called "The Maxwell" (after famed golf course architect, Perry Maxwell). All 5 players on a team count, and you compute the best 4 scores of the five on every hole (instead of tossing the highest scoring player of the 5 out and only using the 4 lowest ones). That way, you don't get one guy who seems to feel he didn't contribute as most likely even that guy would have had some of his scores count on some holes.

> @BertGA said:

> Admittedly haven’t watched much more than an hour today. Match play is better drama, plus it’s a holiday weekend.

>

> My one thought leading into tomorrow: Cowboys are STACKED. Three players in the top 10. Number one amateur in the world was their fourth score, still came in at 15! Just ridiculous. Three teams moving on to match play had their highest ranking stroke play score lower than 15th.

>

> Would have enjoyed seeing Auburn make the 8th spot, give a little more interest for the Driven show.

GHIN Index 12.9
LH Epic Flash Driver-LH, 10.5*, Project X EvenFlow Riptide 50 (Light)
LH Callaway Rogue 5-wood (18*), 7-wood (20*); Aldila Synergy 60-Reg
LH Callaway Rogue ST Pro 4-AW, Recoil Dart 75 F3
LH Cleveland RTX 50*, 54*, 58*
LH Odyssey Double Wide Stroke Lab Putter

I watched a bit yesterday and I could not believe the lead that OSU has gained over the other schools. Last I looked, USC was sitting in last place at like +50 or something. smh. That course must be really hard, but Wolffe is making it look pretty damn easy. His swing is a bit odd, but I bet it looks a lot better in person. Oh and Furyks swing is a lot worse and he can't fly 3 iron 270+ even in his prime. :)

I played Division 1 college golf (yes, it was eons ago), I can't believe that every player needs to be 'coached' on every shot like I'm seeing this week. Back when I played, you'd maybe see the coach once during a round if it looked like you needed some encouragement.

Now get off my lawn!

• Like 1

Adams 9015D 10.5 Matrix Ozik
TM M2 Deep Face 3HL Fuji Atmos 6
Callaway Apex 20 Steelfiber hls780
Adams Pro Mini 23 Steelfiber i95
Adams A12 Pro Black 5-9PW Steelfiber i95
Adams CB2 GW Steelfiber i95
Vokey SM6 Black 54 S-Grind Steelfiber i110 CW
Vokey Oil Can 58 V-Grind Kuro Kage TiNi 105
Scotty Cameron Pro Plat Newport Mil Spec

It's not how fast you play, it's how well you play fast!

> @mcputter said:

> I played Division 1 college golf (yes, it was eons ago), I can't believe that every player needs to be 'coached' on every shot like I'm seeing this week. Back when I played, you'd maybe see the coach once during a round if it looked like you needed some encouragement.

> Now get off my lawn!

I think the coaches are mostly walking with their one and two guys until they are finished then they hike back to the other players for the remaining 3 or 4 holes.

> @mcputter said:

> I played Division 1 college golf (yes, it was eons ago), I can't believe that every player needs to be 'coached' on every shot like I'm seeing this week. Back when I played, you'd maybe see the coach once during a round if it looked like you needed some encouragement.

> Now get off my lawn!

i was thinking the exact same thing. i think it just makes the player nervous. might be good for course management but i'd assume the team aspect takes care of that anyway.

i would also wonder if your teammates standing there hooting and hollering is really amenable to top golf. i noticed it more with the women.. again, it would just make me nervous.

i remember i was in my high school skiing championships doing incredibly well in the slalom when my teammate (who ski raced every weekend, whereas i never had before), just out of the bushes headed straight for a gate to cheer me on. i crashed. to him and experienced racers that was normal but not to a novice racer like myself

> @Roadking2003 said:

> > @leezer99 said:

> > > @Roadking2003 said:

> > > > @BertGA said:

> > > > Admittedly haven’t watched much more than an hour today. Match play is better drama, plus it’s a holiday weekend.

> > > >

> > > > My one thought leading into tomorrow: Cowboys are STACKED. Three players in the top 10. Number one amateur in the world was their fourth score, still came in at 15! Just ridiculous. Three teams moving on to match play had their highest ranking stroke play score lower than 15th.

> > > >

> > > > Would have enjoyed seeing Auburn make the 8th spot, give a little more interest for the Driven show.

> > >

> > > I watched quite a bit yesterday. I have two observations;

> > >

> > > 1. Wolff is a very talented golfer and we will see him on the Tour soon.

> > > 2. Wolff has the ugliest swing I have ever seen for a golfer at that level. He looks like a 15 capper with all those moving parts. I have no idea how he makes that ugly swing work.

> >

> > Strip away everything except for impact position and you'll see he's in a perfect position every time. The ball doesn't care how you got there.

>

> I agree. It obviously works for him. I've just never seen such an ugly swing on such a good golfer.

Two-plane steep to shallow is all the hype as is his coach GG (coaches Akshay as well). A lot of flow like Chambelee has been preaching (no restricted hip). Gained Sung Kang and Danny Lee 20+ yards (Kang recently won and Lee was in the mix at the PGA). My guess is you’ll see more swings with similar movements (not as drastic) with the upcoming stars the next 10 years. It’s definitely more powerful to just turn and burn than rely on flipping the hands for speed.

Wolff had some kind of sports injury when he was younger (can't remember what), and I think that caused him to swing like that. His coach (GG, "it's wet scoobie" etc.) didn't want to change it and actually taught him that first move that he uses to trigger the swing where he rotates to his left. I love watching that kid swing. Tired of the cookie cutter perfect swings. And his teammate Hovland may be my favorite young player. He has an infectious personality and a great smile that seems to suggest that he really loves doing what he's doing. Seems to be extremely grateful for what he's able to do.

> @mcputter said:

> Now get off my lawn!

I suspect it’s the stakes of this tournament. Exposure from placing high. East Lake Cup for the top 4. If those coaching moments gain two or three stokes, or a couple holes in match, it could make a difference. I would have to imagine your ability to recruit top talent is determined by the results and television coverage of this tournament.

I also think much of the coaching involves settling nerves. I can’t imagine playing with TV cameras and golf channel personalities wandering the course. It’s a bit unlike any other tournament they typically play.

This has become one of my favorite events of the year. That was just exciting golf all day long. I wouldn’t touch the format, you don’t have that kind of tension any other way. Speed of play was ridiculous at the end, though. They need to find a way to keep this moving; they got really close to finishing at 6:30 tomorrow morning.

Hovland is going to be my favorite player for years to come. He’s the total package and has a great attitude out there. Really fun to watch and you get the feeling he’d have been just as gracious if he’d lost today.

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - 10.5*
Fairway: Callaway Epic Max - 15*, 21*, 25*

Hybrid:  Ping G425 30*
Irons: TaylorMade Stealth 7-AW
Wedges: PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 56* 

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 62*
Putter:  Directed Force 2.1
Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft

Even though my son is a huge OK State fan I was secretly rooting for Texas to win only because of them being the underdog and I was tired of hearing about how great the team is/was. Tomorrow we'll be rooting for Stanford to support grandpa's alma mater.

Sucks to see OK State lose on a horseshoe lip out but I was rooting for Texas to beat OK State so it’s cool. Bouchau and Wolff seem like super nice guys, same with the Govechny (sp?) that won the match for Texas. OK State coach looked like he was on the verge of tears during the Billy Ray Brown interview. I’m all for different schools winning the NCAAs every year; a “dynasty” seems like it should be relegated to pro sports.

I missed the story yesterday that the Stanford player cracked his driver. They then said that the rules official said he wasn't allowed to replace it because it was cracked. I had to look at the new rules and was shocked to see the USGA in it's infinite wisdom had decided that cracked drivers weren't considered damaged. Thankfully it all ended well but that is one stupid rule.

They play incredibly slow. The coaches stepping in every other second absolutely ruin it.

• Like 1

Callaway 816 DBD - Mitsubishi MMT 70
PXG 0341X 3W - HZRDUS Yellow Hand Crafted
Callaway Epic SZ 5W - Aldila Tour Blue
Honma TW747V 4-10 - Accra 80i
Corey Paul Raw 50*

Vega VW-06 54*

Scratch 58*
Tour Cameron NP2

> @"Ronnie Mundt" said:

> Sucks to see OK State lose on a horseshoe lip out but I was rooting for Texas to beat OK State so it’s cool. Bouchau and Wolff seem like super nice guys, same with the Govechny (sp?) that won the match for Texas. OK State coach looked like he was on the verge of tears during the Billy Ray Brown interview. I’m all for different schools winning the NCAAs every year; a “dynasty” seems like it should be relegated to pro sports.

I really wanted the Horns to win but didn't like seeing a three-putt to end it all. I feel for that kid. He'll never forget the ending.

OTH, Chervony's birdie on 18 to extend the match was spectacular. He's the only Sr playing for Texas. They have three freshmen so should have a good team again next year.

> @"Sonja Henie" said:

> Wolff had some kind of sports injury when he was younger (can't remember what), and I think that caused him to swing like that. His coach (GG, "it's wet scoobie" etc.) didn't want to change it and actually taught him that first move that he uses to trigger the swing where he rotates to his left. I love watching that kid swing. Tired of the cookie cutter perfect swings. And his teammate Hovland may be my favorite young player. He has an infectious personality and a great smile that seems to suggest that he really loves doing what he's doing. Seems to be extremely grateful for what he's able to do.

Wow! What a story. Thanks for posting.

> @toc said:

> Good lord does this course ever seem impossible. Looks about as unfun as golf could possibly be.

My wife and I were talking about the golf course last night. It doesn't look at all appealing to play. The tree in the middle of the 15th fairway and the "X" (crisscross) shaping of holes 1 and 18 seem like something begging for attention rather than letting the quality of the golf experience speak for itself.

> @mcputter said:

> Now get off my lawn!

I wish the NCAA would change the rules to not allow the coach on the course or greens. Should only be able to talk to the player from green to the next tee box. Way to much interaction slowing down the pace. I got bored last night because of how long it was taking.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

> @falken19150 said:

> 1) Ban the push carts

> 2) Ban the player coaching

> Still was a lot of fun to watch some of the matches. Wolfffffffff generates some incredible ball speeds with that swing.

Why ban the push carts? Carrying is horrific on the back and push carts can save 1 to 2 strokes a round. I thought it was refreshing to see all of the men pushing.

• Like 1

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.