Sand Wedge an Idiot Could Use

BeerPerHole

> @BeerPerHole said:

> This is what I need...a sand wedge an idiot could use. Any suggestions? I've been playing this 54/12 wedge I found on a rack, I think It's a Ping Tour S. Almost no bottom to this thing. Been wanting to get a more traditional sand wedge. Ping Glide or Cleveland model(?)-

I'm not sure about idiot proof, but I really like the Cleveland CBX. I have a 54/12, bent to 55 so it has a bit more bounce and 60/10. My short game has gotten much better with them.

• Like 1

Woods: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9*, Ventus Blue 6S / TM Stealth Plus+, 15*, MCA Diamana Thump 75S
Hybrid: PXG 0317 X Proto 3H & 4H, Ventus Blue 7S

Irons: Takomo IRON 101, 5-PW, Accra T90i S
Wedges: Cleveland CBX ZipCore  48* Accra T90i S, 53* & 58*, Accra T100i S
Putter: Evnroll ER 1.2, Tour KBS GPS, 33",
 SuperStroke MidSlim 2.0
Ball: Maxfli Tour
Bag/Cart: Callaway Fairway 14 Stand Bag / Clicgear 4.0 / Alphard Club Booster V2 / V2 Swivel Kit
Accessories: Arccos 360 / Garmin G80 / Nikon Coolshot Pro Stabilized

> @BeerPerHole said:

> This is what I need...a sand wedge an idiot could use. Any suggestions? I've been playing this 54/12 wedge I found on a rack, I think It's a Ping Tour S. Almost no bottom to this thing. Been wanting to get a more traditional sand wedge. Ping Glide or Cleveland model(?)

Go on ebay, find an old Ping Eye 2 sand wedge in your dot color. Alternatively, the Glide 2.0 ES wedges are pretty good out of bunkers.

• Like 1
Ping G410 9*
Tour Edge EXS 3w, 5w
Ping i210 4-U
Ping Glide Stealth 54, 60
Ping Anser 85029 Dalehead
Srixon Z-Star or Q-Star tour depending on conditions

> @BeerPerHole said:

> ... I've been playing this 54/12 wedge I found on a rack, I think It's a Ping Tour S. Almost no bottom to this thing. ...

What is the specific problem you're having with the wedge? If you play in softer sand, you may need a wider sole that doesn't dig in as much.

Also, you might check your grip. If you have a strong grip and have trouble getting the ball up, try a weak grip. This helps you maintain the loft rather than closing down the clubface.

If you can give us specifics on the problem, we can give you better suggestions.

• Like 1

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

> @BeerPerHole said:

> This is what I need...a sand wedge an idiot could use. Any suggestions? I've been playing this 54/12 wedge I found on a rack, I think It's a Ping Tour S. Almost no bottom to this thing. Been wanting to get a more traditional sand wedge. Ping Glide or Cleveland model(?)

What type of bunkers do you play out of? Very soft sand or hardly and sand under the ball? On the margin, this could impact what type of wedge is best. But there is also some basic technique that is needed to hit a half decent shot with any club.

The Ping 54/12 Tour S seems like a pretty basic/normal wedge that could be used in a variety of situations. Maybe an extra 2 degrees of loft would help but I don't think it would make a huge difference.

The Cleveland Smart Sole and Callaway Sure Out are two options depending on what your issue is. Are you more likely to chunk it/leave it in the bunker or thin it over the other side of the green?

If its a more traditional shape then you have the Cleveland CBX or the Ping Glide 2.0, with the edge to the CBX for forgiveness.

If your not as bothered by looks then id say that the Cleveland smart sole (58*) is the most forgiving sandwedge, followed by the Callaway Sure Out (I have the 64*). Cant play and fancy shots with these (flops etc). Its pretty much square face or nothing due to the large sole, but what they do, they do well.

If I play on a particularly dry course I think about swapping out the SS and sure out with something more traditional, but I mostly play them with more shaft lean and a little forward in my stance off tight lies to mitigate the larger bounce on them (both around 10* but with huge soles). The Smart Sole is great out of the rough as well.

> @Hertsjoatmon said:

> If its a more traditional shape then you have the Cleveland CBX or the Ping Glide 2.0, with the edge to the CBX for forgiveness.

> If your not as bothered by looks then id say that the Cleveland smart sole (58*) is the most forgiving sandwedge, followed by the Callaway Sure Out (I have the 64*). Cant play and fancy shots with these (flops etc). Its pretty much square face or nothing due to the large sole, but what they do, they do well.

> If I play on a particularly dry course I think about swapping out the SS and sure out with something more traditional, but I mostly play them with more shaft lean and a little forward in my stance off tight lies to mitigate the larger bounce on them (both around 10* but with huge soles). The Smart Sole is great out of the rough as well.

glide 2.0 with es sole is so idiot proof it should be illegal. can play spinner or chunk n run so easily

Thanks guys. More specifics? I've been so bad out of the bunkers I have taken to re-learning the technique. In doing that I'm changing my bad shaft lean at impact, not much else changing. I play out of soft bunkers (our club). Many of the munis around here have crap cement-style bunkers. But, I'm not worrying about that. I appreciate the input on gear here so far. Matches where I was starting to look.

If you play out of soft bunkers, look at the CBX in 54/12 and 56/12. The wider sole would help you out of soft sand.

For _concrete sand_ bunkers: take a PW and pick ball off the top, barely nipping the sand.

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

Ψ  Backups:

Cleveland cbx wedges are the best I've used so far. Definitely give them a shot, it's made my short game much more consistent all around.

• Like 1

Srixon ZX7/Cobra Radspeed XB

ZX 3w Riptide/Cobra radspeed motore F3

ZX 19/22 hy Riptide 

Cobra FT 5-Pw,Aw KBS/ Cobra F9 5-pw,aw 

Cbx ZC 54/Cbx FF 58 Dgold

Cobra sport 45/Cleveland elevado

Srixon QST/Titleist Pro V1 or whatever urethane balls I may find 

For soft sand, the Vokey K Grind is probably the most idiot-proof wedge you can find, and that's coming from one huge idiot. Prior to putting a Vokey Forged 58K in the bag, I'd gone 0/9 getting up & down from the sand on the year, and since I switched I'm at 60% on 15 attempts.

• Like 1

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

> @ChipNRun said:

> If you play out of soft bunkers, look at the CBX in 54/12 and 56/12. The wider sole would help you out of soft sand.

>

> For _concrete sand_ bunkers: take a PW and pick ball off the top, barely nipping the sand.

Yes sir. This is what I figured out a while back - picking the ball off the cement bunkers.

I'd go Ping ES type sole, which was patterned off the original Eye 2 sole shape. The sole on these clubs is concave and helps keep the club from submarining into the sand. A 58 would be a good choice if you more typically play (and struggle) with a 54. Money well spent.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

I recommend a ping eye 2 xg gorge. People have stated most reasons why already but I’ll add that it’s made of 17-4 steel I think. It’s basically indestructible and perfect to protect your other clubs from rocky traps or other hairy situations and then you can use it as a hoe in your victory garden when not on the course.

F6 baffler
MP54
T7/S18/eye2XG Lob
Classic #3

I developed the chipping yips last year and bought a Cleveland Smart Sole sand wedge and a chipper. I have a CBX 54* for anything in between. It really is helping because I had to learn how to chip /pitch in a different way. It's a completely different look at address and kind of shocked my system out of the yips. It was like starting with a clean sheet of paper. No preconceptions and no expectations.

And not one single person made fun of me for carrying a chipper and an orthopedic sand wedge.

Cleveland CBX wedge. It's _almost_ like cheating.

Driver: Ping G400 LST LAGP Black Tie 60 X 
3 Wood: Titleist TS3 16.5* Diamana WhiteBoard 80 X 
DI: Callaway UT Forged 18* KBS Tour Prototype HB 95 S
Irons: Callaway Apex MB Raw (Tour Issue Wide Groove) 4-PW KBS C-Taper Lite 110s Hardstepped
Wedges: Callaway MD4 52* 56* S Grind KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 125 S | Nike VRS DS 60*(Hand Ground) Nippon Wedge 125 S
Putter: Bettinardi Short Kuchar Model

> @BeerPerHole said:

> > @ChipNRun said:

> > If you play out of soft bunkers, look at the CBX in 54/12 and 56/12. The wider sole would help you out of soft sand.

> >

> > For _concrete sand_ bunkers: take a PW and pick ball off the top, barely nipping the sand.

> Yes sir. This is what I figured out a while back - picking the ball off the cement bunkers.

>

So for this method, do you accelerate through? Just hit it like a normal pitch? I've never been able to hit out of concrete sand before and am intrigued as this sounds pretty idiot proof. Do I pretty much just take the exact same swing as a pitch off of fairway from equal distance or are there changes to setup, follow through ect.?

@timbo08 ,

Regarding cement bunkers... remember that a PW has lower loft than a SW, so it may come out a bit hotter. Key thing is to take away club smoothly - **not too far back** - and accelerate through the ball. (If you overswing and try to slow down on follow-through you'll blow the shot.) It's something you just have to practice a little.

Ψ  Backups:

Tour Edge 1 out wedge. I got one as a throw as a throw in when I bought some CB Pro wedges. It sat in the closet for a couple of years because” I could never use one of those”. I pulled it last spring and it hasn’t left my bag since. Really is close to idiot proof.

Driver- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

4H- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699U 21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges - Sub 70 286 50+54 degree

Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach #11

Ping Glide 2.0, 58, ES on its way. Funny...just tonight I was digging through my collection of odd clubs in the garage before a practice session with my buddy. Happened to find a club I didn't know I had - an old, somewhat rusty Volkey 60 degree wedge. Messing around with it. Very nice shape to this club and it's butter off the grass.

Thanks for the input on this, guys.

• Like 1