Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

WILD HORSE

BENNYSUPREMEBENNYSUPREME Members Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
edited Jul 3, 2008 in Great Plains #1
TOP 20 AFFORDABLE
AT ONE TIME WAS #3

SHORT COURSE @ 6800 YARDS WITH A 73 COURSE RATING AND 125 SLOPE FROM TIPS.

LINKS STYLE COURSE, PRIMARY ROUGHT 3 TO 4 INCHES AND 4 TO 6 FEET WIDE THEN IT GOES UP TO YOUR KNEES. BUNKS IN THE MIDDLE OF THE FAIRWAYS AND GUARD VERY SMALL GREENS. AROUND THE GREENS ARE SHAVED, AND CAN BE VERY WINDY, ALSO ITS VERY QUITE UNTIL THE TRAIN ROLLS THROUGH, YOU GOTTA LOVE SMALL TOWNS.

NOT MUCH TO DRIVE RANGE BUT PRACTICE GREEN WAS NICE, CLUB HOUSE COULD BE BETTER.

EASY COURSE IF YOU CAN HIT THE FAIRWAYS (I SAY THAT BECAUSE I SHOOT A 80 FIRST TIME PLAYING IT AND RARELY SHOOT THAT ON MY HOME COURSE)

GREENS FEE WITH CART, RANGE BALLS, COURSE TOWEL, RANGE BOOK, COURSE SHIRT @ 40% OFF RACK I PAID A LITTLE OVER $100
JDM TMade SLDR set @ 11.5* w/Speeder 757
Adams Tour LS 15* w/DI7x
Adams Tour LS 19* w/DI8x & 23* 9031
Adams MB2 5-GW w/Black Nickle KBS Tour S
Machine M6 Inspirer
50*/54*/58* Satin Puglielli wedge kbs tourS
WITB Link

Comments

• I_HATE_SNOWI_HATE_SNOW Members Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Great course, one of the nicest set of greens I've seen, large, firm and fast, not sure what you consider small. Ranks up there with Eisenhower for the best course I've played.
  • BENNYSUPREMEBENNYSUPREME Members Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    small as in you can probably put 1 1/2 greens on the smallest greens I normally put on @ the Eisenhower
    JDM TMade SLDR set @ 11.5* w/Speeder 757
    Adams Tour LS 15* w/DI7x
    Adams Tour LS 19* w/DI8x & 23* 9031
    Adams MB2 5-GW w/Black Nickle KBS Tour S
    Machine M6 Inspirer
    50*/54*/58* Satin Puglielli wedge kbs tourS
    WITB Link
  • 307golf307golf Powder River, Let'er Buck! Members Posts: 1,408 ✭✭
    Excellent golf course. Beautiful. The challenge is in the wind... Makes me want to move back to Nebraska.image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rolleyes:' />

Big rolling greens, wide rolling fairways. Try to avoid the bunkers...

307golf
  • slpgolf08slpgolf08 Members Posts: 92
    Great golf course, we played a college tournament there last season and i was luck enough to ace the 9th hole in our practice round. Look out for the wind though, we played in a constant 30-35 mph wind throughout the tournament and the same hole I aced in the practice round the day before I had to hit DRIVER just to reach the green in the first round. Overall its a very fun course.
  • sabramsabram Members Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Sep 14, 2010 #6
    Here is a link to photos of all 18 holes at Wild Horse from July 2010

[url="http://sports.webshots.com/album/578350873CmvhqJ"]Wild Horse pix[/url]

2686626300100544033LFmfum_th.jpg
  • sosinsurrsosinsurr Banned Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Love this course. Great winter rates. We paid $15 for the "junior" fees and played 36 holes that day. It was an absolutely beautiful day out. We left around 5am to get there for our 9:30 tee time. We had absolutely no one in front or behind us. So the two of us (one scratch, the other a 4) breezed through the course quickly. That's why we decided to play another 18. We had absolutely no wind at all that day, and it was simply gorgeous out. Probably was around 65 or so, not bad for late October.
  • SleeperAwakenedSleeperAwakened Members Posts: 3
    A few years ago, I was in Omaha on business. I had read about Wild Horse and was so intrigued I drove four hours each way just to play it. Well worth it! Since tee times at Sand Hills are a bit tough to snag, this is a pretty decent backup.
  • ChancemanChanceman Members Posts: 627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone stayed in the cabins at Wild Horse? Is there a restaurant at the course or is it better to go into the town? Is golf included in the rate? is it walkable?
  • StetsonStetson Members Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    No Inhavent stayed in the cabins

Pro Shop is a sandwich or hot dog

Not sure

Very walkable
    Driver: Ping G400 (Tour AD IZ)
    3w: Ping G400 SFT (Tour AD DI)
    3H: Ping G400 (Tour AD DI)
    3i: Cobra King Utility 21* (Accra)
    4-P: PXG 0311T (KBS $-Taper)
    Wedges: 51* Edel TRP, 55* Edel DVR, 60* Vokey Links K
    Putter: PXG Mini Gunboat H

Is Gothenberg a decent place to stay for 2 nights or is North Platte a better option for bars and burgers etc?

North Platte. Isn’t exactly NYC but you can get good food and a fancy fufu beer haha

Wife at home. Boys only.

It will be a blast, WH is a great place.

Looking forward to it. Seems very warm out there.

• CRAFTYLEFTY20CRAFTYLEFTY20 Members Posts: 54 ✭✭

Kearney would be an ideal place to stay if your looking for bars/burgers.

• Juan73Juan73 JuanTheGolfer Members Posts: 537 ✭✭✭✭✭

During the middle of June I played Wild Horse, Bayview, Awarii Dunes... and a few others including Prairie Club, Tatanka, ... During this trip I did overnights in North Platte, Gothenburg and Kearney.
    If I played Wild Horse, I would prefer to stay in Kearney versus North Platte... by a LONG shot. While it is 68 miles versus 34 to N. Platte. It has a couple of excellent burger and beer places just north off the exit, near the Marriott Courtyard. Pictures from inside the two restaurants I ate at.

And Wild Horse is pretty easy with NO wind, however, bring out the wind and it is an entirely different story... and if you are wild off the tee, bring lots of balls and a calculator.

edited Sep 11, 2019 10:46pm #18

Middle of June is a decent time to go. If you go in august and wind is blowing at a usual rate the greens become extremely difficult. Not to mention all the other elements of extremely hard and fast.

But ya you are right that NP sucks

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights