2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

The G.O.A.T Putter by theputtingengineer

I cannot believe there is no talk about this putter on here as it gaining a ton of attention on Instagram. The putter is supposedly made to be an almost exact replica of Tiger's famous Newport Tri sole. It features a GSS 326 gram head, a Kbs CT Tour putter shaft, and is to be installed with a ping blackout grip just like the one Tiger has been using throughout his career. The stock specs are also identical to Tiger's with the putter having a loft of 4 degrees and a lie of 70 degrees and a length of 35 inches. The putter has caught already so many people's attention that there is a second batch of putters available to pre order starting on June 3rd for a price of $400. I would love to hear if anyone on here has already ordered there's and when it comes in to tell us what your initial thoughts are. I want to give tremendous props to the designer of this putter as I think it is a genius idea and could not come at a better time. Like who on here doesn't want to play Tigers exact putter?

Not really "designed" is it. Just a straight copy of Scotty's newport 2 (yes it's a rip off of of an anser blah blah). He shouldn't be praised for designing it. CNC program that's all.

Me personally i'd prefer a complete replica, vertical stamping and all not just the same shape with a cherry bomb. The putter looks lost without the Titleist script, vertical stamping and tigers name on the bumpers.

> @cforselius said:

> I have seen it on Instagram but they lost me when they said that they used GSS. Its not even a real thing. Its just a Trademark from Scotty. And then they go on in their comments saying how hard it was to come across the material and so on. Pure ****.

GSS stands for German Stainless Steel.

If it was just ‘Trademark from Scotty’ - they wouldn’t be able to advertise it. It is universally excepted in the putter world what GSS stands for.

Rob

• Like 1

> @"Rob McHugh" said:

> > @cforselius said:

> > I have seen it on Instagram but they lost me when they said that they used GSS. Its not even a real thing. Its just a Trademark from Scotty. And then they go on in their comments saying how hard it was to come across the material and so on. Pure ****.

>

> GSS stands for German Stainless Steel.

> If it was just ‘Trademark from Scotty’ - they wouldn’t be able to advertise it. It is universally excepted in the putter world what GSS stands for.

>

> Rob

I am very well aware of what GSS stands for. I deal with german manufactures every day and they all laugh at the idea of GSS and what it means in the golf world when I tell them. Its plain regular stainless steel. And it is just a Trademark from Scotty, Im looking at his trademarks as I write this.

In the end, I dont care. What bothers me is that they are "defending" it by saying how hard it was to come by, and how lucky they were, and how lucky we should be that they managed to find this magic material. In that case, my company should be super lucky to have all our HUNDREDS of machines made in Germany by German Stainless steel. God, we were lucky finding all that GSS for our machines...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I think my razor blades are made from GSS.

• Like 2

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

Callaway 2007 X-Forged 5-PW/ PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 / Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2.5+ 

Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you must keep moving

I saw it and kinda mixed on it. Yeah it's nice but it kinda looks unfinished at the same time. Also with how many Tiger style putters there are today it's just another one in the mix.

But for any lefties reading this they are releasing a batch of LH so probably the easiest way to get this style of putter if you've been after one.

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

> @M4TT said:

> Not really "designed" is it. Just a straight copy of Scotty's newport 2 (yes it's a rip off of of an anser blah blah). He shouldn't be praised for designing it. CNC program that's all.

> Me personally i'd prefer a complete replica, vertical stamping and all not just the same shape with a cherry bomb. The putter looks lost without the Titleist script, vertical stamping and tigers name on the bumpers.

I agree with you that it is practically a stolen copy of Scotty’s work and there are pieces missing to it. But what I really mean is instead of spending $1,500 or more on a Titleist replica or limited run, for $400 it’s not a bad value. It just bugs me that Scotty does not make putters like he used to, but at the same time that’s what makes them so special.

GSS is very over rated in terms of feel in my option. There is very little support/rational for GSS to be priced higher than Silver by Scotty Cameron however they sellout at the Gallery Store every week. This week the GSS Camerons were priced at $6k-9K, so just under the price of 18 Karat gold prices. Priced like a precious metal!

TM M5 10.5 with Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8X
Ping Stretch 13* with Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7X
Ping 410H 19* with Graphite Design Tour AD DI 95X
Miura Bades 4-PW
Miura Wedges 51,55,59
Callaway PM 64
BB2  or one of my T.P. Mills handmade 

> @DrJACOB said:

> GSS is very over rated in terms of feel in my option. There is very little support/rational for GSS to be priced higher than Silver by Scotty Cameron however they sellout at the Gallery Store every week. This week the GSS Camerons were priced at $6k-9K, so just under the price of 18 Karat gold prices. Priced like a precious metal!

?????

> @jtitleist12 said:

> I like the look of the head but the plumbers neck needs more refinement. The look of the hosel/neck doesn't fit with the rest of the head of the putter. 326g is far too light as well.

One of the best players to walk this earth still uses 326g, possibly more useful to *good* putters......Time to quit consoling the yippers with 350g+ heads and 2x4 foam grips.

• Like 2

TM 2016 M2 12*(-2 setting) - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Wilson D9 18* 4i, KBS Max-R, 39.5”

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5
Mack Daddy CB 56.14(2* weak)  60.12(3*  weak)

Edel Brick

> @cforselius said:

> > @"Rob McHugh" said:

> > > @cforselius said:

> > > I have seen it on Instagram but they lost me when they said that they used GSS. Its not even a real thing. Its just a Trademark from Scotty. And then they go on in their comments saying how hard it was to come across the material and so on. Pure ****.

> >

> > GSS stands for German Stainless Steel.

> > If it was just ‘Trademark from Scotty’ - they wouldn’t be able to advertise it. It is universally excepted in the putter world what GSS stands for.

> >

> > Rob

>

> I am very well aware of what GSS stands for. I deal with german manufactures every day and they all laugh at the idea of GSS and what it means in the golf world when I tell them. Its plain regular stainless steel. And it is just a Trademark from Scotty, Im looking at his trademarks as I write this.

>

> In the end, I dont care. What bothers me is that they are "defending" it by saying how hard it was to come by, and how lucky they were, and how lucky we should be that they managed to find this magic material. In that case, my company should be super lucky to have all our HUNDREDS of machines made in Germany by German Stainless steel. God, we were lucky finding all that GSS for our machines...

CFOR is spot on the money

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

3w Stealth 2 + 15* Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”  

2i TMAG P790 2i Hzdus 100g X  

Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) PX 7.0 Std Length -2 flat from Titleist Spec 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

GSS = greatest sham in golf

Now I will give Don “Scotty” Cameron props for being a master marketer. Albeit, I think Toulon is a way better milled product right now along with Bettinardi.

Maybe the new Scotty’s that showed up on tour will be the new retail??? One could only hope. “Tour inspired” insert , laughable

• Like 2

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

3w Stealth 2 + 15* Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”  

2i TMAG P790 2i Hzdus 100g X  

Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) PX 7.0 Std Length -2 flat from Titleist Spec 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

> @"A.Princey" said:

> > @jtitleist12 said:

> > I like the look of the head but the plumbers neck needs more refinement. The look of the hosel/neck doesn't fit with the rest of the head of the putter. 326g is far too light as well.

> One of the best players to walk this earth still uses 326g, possibly more useful to *good* putters......Time to quit consoling the yippers with 350g+ heads and 2x4 foam grips.

>

>

I definitely don’t need “consoling” as I don’t have the yips...

IIRC, Tiger has used lead tape on the sole of his Cameron putter for a number of years so I doubt his playing headweight is 326g anymore.

> @jtitleist12 said:

> > @"A.Princey" said:

> > > @jtitleist12 said:

> > > I like the look of the head but the plumbers neck needs more refinement. The look of the hosel/neck doesn't fit with the rest of the head of the putter. 326g is far too light as well.

> > One of the best players to walk this earth still uses 326g, possibly more useful to *good* putters......Time to quit consoling the yippers with 350g+ heads and 2x4 foam grips.

> >

> >

> I definitely don’t need “consoling” as I don’t have the yips...

> IIRC, Tiger has used lead tape on the sole of his Cameron putter for a number of years so I doubt his playing headweight is 326g anymore.

>

The lead tape is to make up for weight lost from numerous restorations over the years. The last restoration was around 10 years ago.

> @mjbfyb said:

> > @jtitleist12 said:

> > > @"A.Princey" said:

> > > > @jtitleist12 said:

> > > > I like the look of the head but the plumbers neck needs more refinement. The look of the hosel/neck doesn't fit with the rest of the head of the putter. 326g is far too light as well.

> > > One of the best players to walk this earth still uses 326g, possibly more useful to *good* putters......Time to quit consoling the yippers with 350g+ heads and 2x4 foam grips.

> > >

> > >

> > I definitely don’t need “consoling” as I don’t have the yips...

> > IIRC, Tiger has used lead tape on the sole of his Cameron putter for a number of years so I doubt his playing headweight is 326g anymore.

> >

>

> The lead tape is to make up for weight lost from numerous restorations over the years. The last restoration was around 10 years ago.

>

>

Except Tiger has said, many times, that he never wanted to have Scotty refinish/restore it due to fear of changing the feel...

• Like 1

I think what these guys are doing is kind of cool. Yes, they are grabbing someone else's design (who grabbed someone else's design), but they're putting hitting a spot in the market that SC refuses to hit. People have been clamoring for an OTR quality and, most importantly, priced Tiger-ish putter for a long time. SC has continued to ignore that market and pump out inserts and changeable weights.

An SC Newport currently runs $399 brand new, and that is with some serious manufacturing volume and efficiencies. That fact that these guys are able to come in at the same price doing small runs is pretty good. It doesn't have the SC name all over, so if labels are your thing, this obviously won't work for you. As an equipment nerd, I'm digging watching other equipment nerds do their thing!

> @"Big A HG" said:

> What type of shaft does Tiger use in his putter? I swear Larry Bobka talked a bit about it on the Gear Drive podcast (episode 1), but can't locate that bit of the conversation. If I recall correctly, Tiger uses a pencil tip shaft, but I could be wrong.

Going completely off memory here ...Tiger's putter shaft is a variant of the ' micro bell "

used in the old 8802 putters. Also known as the ' head speed ' . ( TT SC- YHSF or YSC )

The hosel cup on his putter had to be slightly modified to make this shaft fit....

• Like 1

> @jtitleist12 said:

> > @"A.Princey" said:

> > > @jtitleist12 said:

> > > I like the look of the head but the plumbers neck needs more refinement. The look of the hosel/neck doesn't fit with the rest of the head of the putter. 326g is far too light as well.

> > One of the best players to walk this earth still uses 326g, possibly more useful to *good* putters......Time to quit consoling the yippers with 350g+ heads and 2x4 foam grips.

> >

> >

> I definitely don’t need “consoling” as I don’t have the yips...

> IIRC, Tiger has used lead tape on the sole of his Cameron putter for a number of years so I doubt his playing headweight is 326g anymore.

>

At the British Open, more or less, lead tape was added to adjust for the slow greens, but when you look at his Scotty today(Masters 2019) the sole is shiny, polished stainless. There's no lead tape on the bottom now, I can promise you that, otherwise it'd be a dull grey, gum looking affair.

s9wpsbl1te2x.jpg

TM 2016 M2 12*(-2 setting) - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Wilson D9 18* 4i, KBS Max-R, 39.5”

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5
Mack Daddy CB 56.14(2* weak)  60.12(3*  weak)

Edel Brick

> @jtitleist12 said:

> > @mjbfyb said:

> > > @jtitleist12 said:

> > > > @"A.Princey" said:

> > > > > @jtitleist12 said:

> > > > > I like the look of the head but the plumbers neck needs more refinement. The look of the hosel/neck doesn't fit with the rest of the head of the putter. 326g is far too light as well.

> > > > One of the best players to walk this earth still uses 326g, possibly more useful to *good* putters......Time to quit consoling the yippers with 350g+ heads and 2x4 foam grips.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > I definitely don’t need “consoling” as I don’t have the yips...

> > > IIRC, Tiger has used lead tape on the sole of his Cameron putter for a number of years so I doubt his playing headweight is 326g anymore.

> > >

> >

> > The lead tape is to make up for weight lost from numerous restorations over the years. The last restoration was around 10 years ago.

> >

> >

>

> Except Tiger has said, many times, that he never wanted to have Scotty refinish/restore it due to fear of changing the feel...

“I’ve sent it to Scotty a couple of times to get re-blasted and a couple times to get worked on, but I haven’t done that in over a decade.”

https://golfweek.com/2019/05/08/tiger-woods-magic-putter-scotty-cameron/