Dallas/Ft Worth Area Courses

cjblake09

I'm a member at Hurricane Creek up in Anna so I don't get around much to play other courses and, when I do, it's mostly on the northern side of the metroplex.

Did play Stonebridge Ranch Dye Course last weekend and they have really let the rough grow back up. It was windy and it would be an understatement to say it played tough. Course is in really good shape with the greens still on the firm side after they replace them a year or two ago.

I don't know if it is just me, but I play almost everywhere in DFW to include most Club Corp courses, and I have not seen one course with immaculate conditions this year. I am really disappointed, because I had guys travel from out of town to visit after I was raving at all of the courses we have here and how great they are. Needless to say I shoved my foot in my mouth. I even had them on Tier 1 Club Corp courses and they were shocked. All guys from NY.

What the heck is going on in DFW? Why cant anyone figure out how to water and maintain the courses here?

> @Trying4Better said:

> I don't know if it is just me, but I play almost everywhere in DFW to include most Club Corp courses, and I have not seen one course with immaculate conditions this year. I am really disappointed, because I had guys travel from out of town to visit after I was raving at all of the courses we have here and how great they are. Needless to say I shoved my foot in my mouth. I even had them on Tier 1 Club Corp courses and they were shocked. All guys from NY.

>

> What the heck is going on in DFW? Why cant anyone figure out how to water and maintain the courses here?

I think the large amount of rain this spring has been a big hindrance. The courses should start to be in better shape now that we are leaving the rainy season (hopefully). They really don't have much excuse for everything to not be greened up nicely now.

TaylorMade QI10 9* - Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 8TX

TaylorMade Stealth+ 15* - Fujikura Ventus Red 9TX

NIKE Vapor Fly Pro 3-4i - Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 95X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5 - KBS Tour 130X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 6-PW - DG TI X100

Mizuno T22 Raw 50* S, 55* D | TaylorMade Hi Toe 60* - DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Select Squareback +

> @Trying4Better said:

> I don't know if it is just me, but I play almost everywhere in DFW to include most Club Corp courses, and I have not seen one course with immaculate conditions this year. I am really disappointed, because I had guys travel from out of town to visit after I was raving at all of the courses we have here and how great they are. Needless to say I shoved my foot in my mouth. I even had them on Tier 1 Club Corp courses and they were shocked. All guys from NY.

>

> What the heck is going on in DFW? Why cant anyone figure out how to water and maintain the courses here?

I've heard similar reports. I will say that our course has really come on in the last month and is really in good shape. And, as I mentioned, I played the Dye Course last weekend and it was also in really good shape.

The spring was much cooler and wetter than normal. Therefore, warm season grasses never really got going until recently. Also, the cool, wet conditions were perfect growing conditions for fungal diseases. Lack of water is definitely not the issue.

For predominantly bermuda grass courses (most or all public courses in DFW), there were a few warm days in late February when the bermuda grass started to grow (expending a lot of saved up energy/resources), followed by a hard freeze, which shut it back down. I think that this also set it back a few weeks. The course I work for has some bermuda target/practice greens that went from dormant, to green, then hard freeze, then turned black, all within a week in late February.

There are certainly several courses in DFW right now with immaculate conditions. However, I'm sure it has been a rough go until recently for the bermuda guys.

> @TexasTurf said:

> The spring was much cooler and wetter than normal. Therefore, warm season grasses never really got going until recently. Also, the cool, wet conditions were perfect growing conditions for fungal diseases. Lack of water is definitely not the issue.

>

> For predominantly bermuda grass courses (most or all public courses in DFW), there were a few warm days in late February when the bermuda grass started to grow (expending a lot of saved up energy/resources), followed by a hard freeze, which shut it back down. I think that this also set it back a few weeks. The course I work for has some bermuda target/practice greens that went from dormant, to green, then hard freeze, then turned black, all within a week in late February.

>

> There are certainly several courses in DFW right now with immaculate conditions. However, I'm sure it has been a rough go until recently for the bermuda guys.

Thanks everyone for the input. Trying to grasp the odd growing seasons and grass here in TX. You mention some courses with immaculate conditions, where are they? I definitely would like to play them.

> @Trying4Better said:

>

Which Club Corp courses have you played? And were all of them in less than stellar conditions?

> @"North Texas" said:

> > @Trying4Better said:

> > I don't know if it is just me, but I play almost everywhere in DFW to include most Club Corp courses, and I have not seen one course with immaculate conditions this year. I am really disappointed, because I had guys travel from out of town to visit after I was raving at all of the courses we have here and how great they are. Needless to say I shoved my foot in my mouth. I even had them on Tier 1 Club Corp courses and they were shocked. All guys from NY.

> >

> > What the heck is going on in DFW? Why cant anyone figure out how to water and maintain the courses here?

>

> Which Club Corp courses have you played? And were all of them in less than stellar conditions?

Hackberry and Glen Eagles - Kings come to mind.

> @Trying4Better said:

> > @"North Texas" said:

> > > @Trying4Better said:

> > > I don't know if it is just me, but I play almost everywhere in DFW to include most Club Corp courses, and I have not seen one course with immaculate conditions this year. I am really disappointed, because I had guys travel from out of town to visit after I was raving at all of the courses we have here and how great they are. Needless to say I shoved my foot in my mouth. I even had them on Tier 1 Club Corp courses and they were shocked. All guys from NY.

> > >

> > > What the heck is going on in DFW? Why cant anyone figure out how to water and maintain the courses here?

> >

> > Which Club Corp courses have you played? And were all of them in less than stellar conditions?

>

> Hackberry and Glen Eagles - Kings come to mind.

Have never played either one of those. I would be shocked if Stonebriar was in less than stellar condition. It's always been thought of as one of Club Corp's best courses around. And, as I mentioned, the Dye Course at Stonebridge Ranch is in stellar condition other than they punched their greens a couple weeks ago. They are fairly new greens as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey DFW golfers. I'll be down that way July 25th & 26th, and really want to play some course's I didn't get to when I lived there year's ago. I really want to play Texas Star, have been thinking of Grapevine or Cowboys course as well but Cowboys is like $200. If anyone can get me out on Vaquero, Dallas National, or Brook Hollow that'd be fun. I'll be staying near 35 and Wycliff but not scared to drive.

Oh and what would be the go-to steak house in Fort Worth to go to? My wife and I never hung out there for the seven years we lived in Plano Frisco area.

Titleist 915 D3 8.5* W/ Fujikura Speeder Pro74, set at A1
Titleist 915 FD 15* W/ Diamana 70 Whiteboard, set A1
Mizuno MP4 3-P W/ Nippon Modus3 130X
Mizuno T5 50*, 54*, 58* 50 & 54 with Modus 130x and 58 with Modus wedge 125x
Byron Morgan 006 GSS

Thanks man, but we've been to Bobs before, at the Plano location. I'd certainly be down to meet up with you though and anyone else that'd be interested.

Byron Morgan 006 GSS

> @KeithM38 said:

> Hey DFW golfers. I'll be down that way July 25th & 26th, and really want to play some course's I didn't get to when I lived there year's ago. I really want to play Texas Star, have been thinking of Grapevine or Cowboys course as well but Cowboys is like $200. If anyone can get me out on Vaquero, Dallas National, or Brook Hollow that'd be fun. I'll be staying near 35 and Wycliff but not scared to drive.

>

> Oh and what would be the go-to steak house in Fort Worth to go to? My wife and I never hung out there for the seven years we lived in Plano Frisco area.

Del Frisco Silver Eagle in downtown FW. Order the bone in filet, which is sometimes off menu but they have it.

> @KeithM38 said:

> If anyone can get me out on Vaquero, Dallas National, or Brook Hollow that'd be fun. I'll be staying near 35 and Wycliff but not scared to drive.

>

2 of those 3 are on thousandgreens.com but you are going to need a high end private club membership yourself to get access.

> @"North Texas" said:

> I'm a member at Hurricane Creek up in Anna so I don't get around much to play other courses and, when I do, it's mostly on the northern side of the metroplex.

>

What's the latest on Jim Stalder's health, the head golf pro at Hurricane Creek C.C. in Anna? Is he still affiliated with Hurricane Creek C.C.? I know back 4-5 years ago Jim was still awaiting a kidney transplant and he was undergoing daily dialysis treatments. I recall that his insurance benefits had expired and he needed help in paying for his necessary procedures - something I was happy to help with on various occasions.

I have always enjoyed playing Hurricane Creek, but haven't played it in a while. It's a gem of a golf course that too few golfers in the Metroplex know about because it's up the road a ways. The staff there always treated me well, and I like the course. And, the food is always good - especially the cobbler and ice cream! The only thing I didn't care for was the driving range orientation in the morning was right into the rising sun...

Anyway, would appreciate knowing how Jim's health is doing, if you know...

> @KeithM38 said:

> Hey DFW golfers. I'll be down that way July 25th & 26th, and really want to play some course's I didn't get to when I lived there year's ago. I really want to play Texas Star, have been thinking of Grapevine or Cowboys course as well but Cowboys is like $200. If anyone can get me out on Vaquero, Dallas National, or Brook Hollow that'd be fun. I'll be staying near 35 and Wycliff but not scared to drive.

>

> Oh and what would be the go-to steak house in Fort Worth to go to? My wife and I never hung out there for the seven years we lived in Plano Frisco area.

My personal favorite steaks in the DFW area are at Al Biernat's and Town Hearth. Would recommend the former for a traditional steakhouse done perfectly, latter if you prefer dry aged steaks, edgy cocktails and a livelier, louder vibe. As mentioned earlier, Bob's is an excellent choice as well.

So it looks like I'll be playing Gentle Creek up in Prosper on the 25th, have a buddy thats a member there. So where do I go on Friday the 26th, Texas Star, Cowboys, or Old American? All of them I have never played and want to go to the best place I can. Thanks all.

Byron Morgan 006 GSS

> @KeithM38 said:

> So it looks like I'll be playing Gentle Creek up in Prosper on the 25th, have a buddy thats a member there. So where do I go on Friday the 26th, Texas Star, Cowboys, or Old American? All of them I have never played and want to go to the best place I can. Thanks all.

Old American is the easy choice out of those 3

Ping G430 LST 9* Graphite Design VF 6

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 15* Fujikura Ventus Blue 7
Callaway Apex UW 19* Fujikura Ventus TR Red 8
TaylorMade Stealth 2 Plus Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 9

Titleist T100 5-PW Vokey SM9 50* Fujikura Axiom 125
Artisan 55*DS+LE 59* DR+LE Nippon Modus3 125 wedge
LAB DF3

> @burns9304 said:

> > @KeithM38 said:

> > So it looks like I'll be playing Gentle Creek up in Prosper on the 25th, have a buddy thats a member there. So where do I go on Friday the 26th, Texas Star, Cowboys, or Old American? All of them I have never played and want to go to the best place I can. Thanks all.

>

> Old American is the easy choice out of those 3

Really? Ok I'll look more into them.

Byron Morgan 006 GSS

> @Trying4Better said:

>

Not just ClubCorp courses in DFW area but the same with those in the Houston area. The Woodlands CC courses are not in very good shape, with the exception of the Tournament Course as they have $100k higher budget than the others due to the Champions Tour Insperity Tournament. Our dues have increased a minimum of 4% per year but the golf maintenance budget has not. The Golf Course Superintendent's know what needs to be done but they are handcuffed by Management at Corporate in Dallas. They keep the cups in the same location for 3 days prior to moving them and don't mow the greens daily so the green speeds average about 8-9 on the stimp. Also they purchased the cheapest golf carts they could buy and ours after less than 3 years are falling apart, broken windshields, steering that doesnt work, carts breaking down on the golf course, flat tires etc. Recently one of the courses didnt have enough carts for play on a Saturday as 17 of the 50 carts were broken down.

Ping G430 Max 10K w Alta 55

Ping G430 5 wood w PD-70

Ping G425 7 wood w Slay 55

Ping G430 9 wood w Speeder EVO6

Ping G430 6 Hybrid w PX Red Smoke
Srixon ZX5 6-PW w Recoil 660

Vokey SM8 50.12 F Grind w Recoil 95
Vokey SM10 56.12 D Grind w Recoil 95
Vokey Wedgeworks 60.08 K Grind w Recoil 95

Odyssey Jailbird