Cobra King forged CB/MB

Comments

• QuigleyDUQuigleyDU Members Posts: 6,898 ✭✭

@cadman88 said:

@QuigleyDU said:
    I just worry about the very compact head. I think it may be the smallest out there.

I currently play Adams XTD Forged irons (I have 3 sets..) and I didn't find the 2019 Cobra MB's that hard to hit.. they are not as small as you'd think, but I'm also waiting to see and hit the Ping Blueprints before I more on either of them.

I have hit them a bunch, well at least the 7 iron. They are pretty much the same size as the blueprints. Just a different toe shape.

Driver: Callaway Epic SubZero 3D 10.5*, Fujikura Ventus 7X
    Fairway: NIKE VAPOR 13*
    3-4 IRON: MIZZY MP18MMC FLIHI
    5-9 IRONS: MP5 DG AMT X100
    WEDGES; CLEVELAND RTX4: 48, 53, 58, 64
    PUTTER; Directed Force 2.1
    BALL; various, ask me that day.
  • arobbins3arobbins3 MichiganMembers Posts: 16 ✭✭

Been wavering on these for some time now. I have hit both the 2016 and the 2019 versions. Best looking iron in golf, IMO. Feel and performance is solid. I'm left handed so my options are slim to pretty much none in terms of any hope of finding a used set. Would be coming from a set of VR Pro combos.

Cobra F9 (9.5°) - Atmos Black 6s
    Cobra F9 (14.5°) - Atmos Blue 7s
    Titleist 816 H1 (19° and 23°) - Fuji Motore Speeder 8.8 HB TS
    Cobra KING Forged CB/MB (5-PW,GW) - Project X LZ 6.0
    Miura 2018 Wedge Series (55° and 60°)
    TaylorMade Spider X

• BearQBearQ Break 2 Rebuild Members Posts: 3,485 ✭✭

@firstbatch said:
    I did happen upon a ‘19 mb gap wedge (50 deg) at golf galaxay used rack which was like new for $45. Been comparing it against my 50 deg ping stealth which has been money. So far it’s virtually identical except it seems like the compact cobra gets thru the ruff a little easier. So Zprime got me thinking maybe pick up some mb’s in 8-pw and build a back up set 😁

**** I thought I was the only playing the Gap MB lol. My 25% Black Friday custom order was a steal but $40...Well done mate

Cobra LTD Pro 9.5* - Matrix Type C 70X
    TM M2 Tour 15* - Matrix Black Tie 80M4-X
    Bridgestone XD-H 18* - Speeder TS 9.8X 
    Srixon Z945 (4-P) - Nippon SPB X
    Cobra MB (50*)  Nike VR Forged (56DS)  Cleveland RTX2 raw (60.08W)
    Spider Tour Black 

• dmeeksDCdmeeksDC ClubWRX Posts: 2,208 ClubWRX

@Golfingfanatic said:

@dmeeksDC said:

@Golfingfanatic said:

@cadman88 said:

Those are the older version with no tungsten weight in the sole.. they had them in black for a while as well as the satin. The 2019 version is not being offered in satin as of yet.

Still an ok deal I'd say. They have some tungsten in the toe, but none in the sole. That's the only difference. KBS shafts has me more worried. Bent tips are still a thing, aren't they?

No, they really aren’t a thing. Have personally never had one bend. An urban legend borne of someone saying some CTaper tips bent years ago. Probably someone who likes a competitor’s shaft. Tons of pro golfers play KBS shafts. And any tip could bend if you slam it into something hard enough. I have seen Project X and DG shafts with bent tips. Bad golfers do break things. But the notion that KBS has a design flaw that causes them to bend easily is completely false.

There are quite a few threads on WRX about KBS shafts bending. A bit more than an urban legend I'd say.

Oh I know. Not arguing that. But wrxers also create many urban legends and then perpetuate them for years. A bent tip does not mean it can only have one cause. I don’t doubt tips have bent, but I do think it is anecdotal and I also think if it did happen, it was a batch or a correctable supply issue, not a reason to avoid the C Taper shaft forever (which is almost always the ‘problem’ KBS shaft cited, not the Tour or $ Taper.) I’ve played so many of them and had them pulled to put in new heads and none have bent. Who can attribute a bent tip to absolutely, definitely a flaw? Also could be operator error. It is possible to bend the tip of any shaft if you slam it into the ground hard enough.
    There are plenty of pros on every tour playing KBS shafts, so they’re clearly not seeing any issue with the tips and if there were problems, they would not play them. That is stronger evidence to me, so all I am saying is I would not avoid KBS shafts due to posts on golfwrx. It is basically the internet of golf. A lot of information and misinformation, so you always need to see for yourself. The $Taper is an excellent shaft and for my game has been a great one, just like DG 120 and PX Rifles and the Nippon 125. I’m no loyalist when it comes to golf shafts!

Ping G400 9 degrees, Ping Tour stiff shaft, 65 grams
    Callaway XHot2 Pro 5 wood, 17 degrees, Aldila Tour Blue stiff shaft
    Titleist 915F fairway, 21 degrees, Diamana Blue 70 stiff
    Srixon 565 4 iron, Nippon 980GH stiff shaft
    Adams CMB irons, 5-PW, KBS C Taper regular shafts (110g)
    Titleist Vokey SM7 50 degree, F grind, Dynamic Gold S200 shaft
    Callaway Mack Daddy 2 54-degree wedge, S grind, DG wedge shaft
    Ben Hogan TK wedge, 59 degree, KBS black wedge shaft
    TaylorMade TP Chaska putter, sliver, 34 inches
  • NRJyzrNRJyzr Allez Allez Allez Minnesota, USAMembers Posts: 6,354 ✭✭

@dmeeksDC said:
    There are plenty of pros on every tour playing KBS shafts, so they’re clearly not seeing any issue with the tips and if there were problems, they would not play them.

This is somewhat ironic considering the recent story of Stricker at The Memorial, and his KBS Prototype shafts. :)

The Ever Changing Bag!

Driver: Cobra King LTD, ProtoPype 80x or RIP 80x, 43.5" -or- SuperDeep 9.5*, ProtoPype 80x or NV85x, 43.5"
    3w: Cobra King LTD, Motore F1 85 X, 42.5"
    2h:  TM Stage 2 Tour, Nv105 stiff -or- 1 iron: Maxfli Revolution, DGS400
    2-PW, Golden Ram Tour Grind, Dynamic S
    SW: Ram Tour Grind Feel Matched 58*, DGS
    Putter: Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34.5", PP58 midsize grip
    (Cleveland Huntington Beach #1 35" -or- Mizuno TPM-2, 35" as backups)
    Balls: in no particular order... Wilson Staff FG Tour, Duo Urethane, or 50 Elite, Srixon ZStar/ZStar XV, Snell MTB Black... will trot out Maxfli HT-100 or Elite 90 from time to time
    Shoes by True Linkswear
  • hartrick11hartrick11 San DiegoMembers Posts: 47 ✭✭

I went all CB with the $tapers 5-gw, felt like I needed any help I could get even if marginal and/or placebo. The lower CG and wider sole is more forgiving to my mind at least! Best looking irons around IMO, and the finish is really durable. I am 25 rounds in with them and they still clean up looking close to new.

I also added a forged tec black 4 iron and this set is going to stick for a long time.

Driver: Cobra F8+, Hzrdus Black
    3w: Cobra F7, AD DI
    UT: TaylorMade Gapr LO, KBS Proto
    Irons: Cobra King Forged CB, KBS $ Taper
    Wedges: Bridgestone Tour B X-W1 54 & 60
    Putter: Scotty Cameron California Hollywood

• BearQBearQ Break 2 Rebuild Members Posts: 3,485 ✭✭

@dmeeksDC it’s not an urban legend lol. Kbs c taper is bent tips problems for sure. 1000s of user accounts, my personal experience and our golf shop 95% c tapers sets that are pulled at least one shaft is bent. It’s not user error, it’s not installation error, they have been flawed.

Cobra LTD Pro 9.5* - Matrix Type C 70X
    TM M2 Tour 15* - Matrix Black Tie 80M4-X
    Bridgestone XD-H 18* - Speeder TS 9.8X 
    Srixon Z945 (4-P) - Nippon SPB X
    Cobra MB (50*)  Nike VR Forged (56DS)  Cleveland RTX2 raw (60.08W)
    Spider Tour Black 

• KeithM38KeithM38 Members Posts: 561 ✭✭

@cadman88 said:
    I'm thinking either a full set of Cobra MB's or a set of the Ping Blueprints. I've only hit the Cobra's but I was very impressed with them.

I think you might be disappointed when you hit the Blueprints. I hit them against the TWs, the TWs are harder than the cobras and the Blueprints I feel are way harder than the TWs. I could very much tolerate the TWs but no way would I buy the Pings.

Titleist 915 D3 8.5* W/ Fujikura Speeder Pro74, set at A1
    Titleist 915 FD 15* W/ Diamana 70 Whiteboard, set A1
    Mizuno MP4 3-P W/ Nippon Modus3 130X
    Mizuno T5 50*, 54*, 58* 50 & 54 with Modus 130x and 58 with Modus wedge 125x
    Byron Morgan 006 GSS
  • smithy23smithy23 UKMembers Posts: 35 ✭✭

@QuigleyDU said:

@giogolf said:
    I hate that i got involved in this thread.. Now I want a set of Cobra CB

jump off the bridge with me...

I may join you on the bridge .....

M5 9.75* Oban Isawa
    M5 17* 5WD Fairway Metal Oban Isawa
    TM UDI 17* Proj X HZDS Black X
    MP18 Fli HI 4# 5# KBS C Taper Lite X
    JPX 900 Tour 6-PW C Taper Lite X
    Mizzy S18 53* IP Blue Wedge KBS C Taper Lite S
     Hi Toe 60* Wedge KBS Hi Rev S
    Evnroll ER1 / Spider X
    TP5

Set of Vapor Pro Blades as Backup Slightly Tweaked! 
  • tgoodspe1991tgoodspe1991 New EnglandMembers Posts: 815 ✭✭

@KeithM38 said:

@cadman88 said:
    I'm thinking either a full set of Cobra MB's or a set of the Ping Blueprints. I've only hit the Cobra's but I was very impressed with them.

I think you might be disappointed when you hit the Blueprints. I hit them against the TWs, the TWs are harder than the cobras and the Blueprints I feel are way harder than the TWs. I could very much tolerate the TWs but no way would I buy the Pings.

I've been hearing this regarding the Blueprints. So disappointing to hear... I have been anxiously awaiting PING to release these irons, but was really turned off when I saw the use of "forged" 8620 carbon steel... Also, their price with any sort of upcharge shaft is Miura level. I might one day try the Blueprints, but I am very hesitant to pull the trigger on a $2,000+ set of irons that don't even feel that good when struck.

However, I disagree with some above posters saying the Cobra MB's feel hard. I was hitting them yesterday with C-Taper 120 stiff shafts, and it literally felt like hitting a marshmallow. Incredibly soft and solid feel (to me).

“Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same
    time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented."
    - Arnold Palmer
  • Big BenBig Ben Members Posts: 9,039 ✭✭
    edited Jun 5, 2019 12:12pm #72

Every attempt Ping has made at a forged iron has been clicky. I’m not surprised to hear the Blueprints feel this way. The Cobras are as good if not better than anything out there. Im a huge Ping fan just not a fan of there forged efforts.
    YMMV

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
    Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
    Fairway: Titleist 917F2
    Hybrid: A-Grind
    2 iron: Ping Rapture
    Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
    Putter: Evnroll 9.1
    Balls: ProV1

@tgoodspe1991 said:

@KeithM38 said:

@cadman88 said:

I've been hearing this regarding the Blueprints. So disappointing to hear... I have been anxiously awaiting PING to release these irons, but was really turned off when I saw the use of "forged" 8620 carbon steel... Also, their price with any sort of upcharge shaft is Miura level. I might one day try the Blueprints, but I am very hesitant to pull the trigger on a $2,000+ set of irons that don't even feel that good when struck.

However, I disagree with some above posters saying the Cobra MB's feel hard. I was hitting them yesterday with C-Taper 120 stiff shafts, and it literally felt like hitting a marshmallow. Incredibly soft and solid feel (to me).

I didn't think the blueprints felt hard and solid strikes. I just think that with it being pretty small your margin for error is also very small. I am also not a fan of the DG 120 shaft. I think that is also contributing to a less than stellar feel. With a decent shaft and middle strike, they feel as good as anything out there. They feel the exact same as anything forged out of 1020. 8620 and 1020 are the exact same on a hardness scale so you wouldnt be able to tell the difference.

@QuigleyDU said:

@tgoodspe1991 said:

@KeithM38 said:

@cadman88 said:

I didn't think the blueprints felt hard and solid strikes. I just think that with it being pretty small your margin for error is also very small. I am also not a fan of the DG 120 shaft. I think that is also contributing to a less than stellar feel. With a decent shaft and middle strike, they feel as good as anything out there. They feel the exact same as anything forged out of 1020. 8620 and 1020 are the exact same on a hardness scale so you wouldnt be able to tell the difference.

They are? I thought I read 8620 is harder and more durable which is why most OEM's use it in wedges, and I'm sure why PING uses it as they are known for their durability.

“Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same
    time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented."
    - Arnold Palmer

@tgoodspe1991 said:

@QuigleyDU said:

@tgoodspe1991 said:

@KeithM38 said:

@cadman88 said:

They are? I thought I read 8620 is harder and more durable which is why most OEM's use it in wedges, and I'm sure why PING uses it as they are known for their durability.

not harder, just more wear resistant due to additional alloys.

• WardonationWardonation Members Posts: 1,434 ✭✭

SO I went Cobra MB's but they had the arrcos in the grip, so I regripped them and swing wieght fell down to D0.5... Now these irons are laed taped as I am not a fan of tip weights of more than a couple gram...

@Wardonation said:
    SO I went Cobra MB's but they had the arrcos in the grip, so I regripped them and swing wieght fell down to D0.5... Now these irons are laed taped as I am not a fan of tip weights of more than a couple gram...

Yeah the Cobra Arrcos grips at .25" in length. If you regrip them then you're going to lose that length and lose swing weight. Best to order straight from Cobra without those grips because they will then properly adjust everything.

- Arnold Palmer
  • cadman88cadman88 Advanced Member Buffalo / Rochester, NYMembers Posts: 2,378 ✭✭
    edited Jun 5, 2019 2:15pm #78

@Wardonation said:

I see on their website that the Steel Length specs w/Connect grip are +1/4" longer than those without them. I noticed that their 5 iron is 38.25" / 38.50" @ D2... now I'm thinking of ordering mine without the connect grip so that if I want to change out my grips later I won't have the swing weight issues you have. Thoughts..?

EDIT.. I see post above states same..

• Taylormade 2017 M2 9.2°, Tensei Blue 60x (45" D3, 271 CPM's)
    • Taylormade M3 15°, Tensei Blue 75x (43" D3.5 276 CPM's)
    • Taylormade M3 19°, Tensei Blue 75x (42" D3.5 277 CPM's)
    • Taylormade M3 Rescue @ 22.5°, Tensei Blue 80HYs (40.25" D4 277 CPM's)
    • Adams XTD Forged 5-PW, GW UST TourSPX Recoil Prototype 95g F5
    • Taylormade Hi-Toe 56°, Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 (D5)
    • Taylormade Hi-Toe 60°, Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 (D5)
    • Scotty Cameron GoLo 3 35"
              Testing ;
              2019 Cobra King Forged MB 5-PW, GW, KBS $-Taper 120s

@cadman88 said:

@Wardonation said:

I see on their website that the Steel Length specs w/Connect grip are +1/4" longer than those without them. I noticed that their 5 iron is 38.25" / 38.50" @ D2... now I'm thinking of ordering mine without the connect grip so that if I want to change out my grips later I won't have the swing weight issues you have. Thoughts..?

Definitely order it without the Cobra Connect grip. You'll get the club swing weighted properly and can exchange grips freely without worrying.

- Arnold Palmer
  • cadman88cadman88 Advanced Member Buffalo / Rochester, NYMembers Posts: 2,378 ✭✭

@tgoodspe1991 said:

@cadman88 said:

@Wardonation said:

Definitely order it without the Cobra Connect grip. You'll get the club swing weighted properly and can exchange grips freely without worrying.

Certainly makes the most sense to me.. thanks..!

• Taylormade 2017 M2 9.2°, Tensei Blue 60x (45" D3, 271 CPM's)
    • Taylormade M3 15°, Tensei Blue 75x (43" D3.5 276 CPM's)
    • Taylormade M3 19°, Tensei Blue 75x (42" D3.5 277 CPM's)
    • Taylormade M3 Rescue @ 22.5°, Tensei Blue 80HYs (40.25" D4 277 CPM's)
    • Adams XTD Forged 5-PW, GW UST TourSPX Recoil Prototype 95g F5
    • Taylormade Hi-Toe 56°, Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 (D5)
    • Taylormade Hi-Toe 60°, Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 (D5)
    • Scotty Cameron GoLo 3 35"
              Testing ;
              2019 Cobra King Forged MB 5-PW, GW, KBS $-Taper 120s

I really like these cobras but, I have to wait and see what mizuno comes out with... I just have too.

• ZPrimeZPrime Ultimate Game Members Posts: 309 ✭✭

Swing weight question. I have CB/MB that had Arrcos and I changed them Midsized. I don’t mind the .25 shorter but will a change in swing weight really make much difference? They feel fine (haven’t played hem yet) but does the altered swing weight effect anything other than how they feel? I’ve never been much of a swing weight guy and just curious to how it effects performance

Mizuno JPX900 Driver 661 S or Cobra F9 Smoke 6.0
    Cobra F9 Tour w/ Hzrdus Smoke S 6.0
    Cobra F9 hybrid
    Cobra King MB/CB '18 w $ taper 120s
    Mizuno Blue T7 52, 56, 62
    Scotty Limited Global 2018

@ZPrime said:
    Swing weight question. I have CB/MB that had Arrcos and I changed them Midsized. I don’t mind the .25 shorter but will a change in swing weight really make much difference? They feel fine (haven’t played hem yet) but does the altered swing weight effect anything other than how they feel? I’ve never been much of a swing weight guy and just curious to how it effects performance

Swingweight will most noticeably change the feel of a golf club when swung because you're changing the balance of the club when measured as a fulcrum. Grip your club normally it feels one way, if you flip it around and grip it with the head in your hands and the grip at the bottom, it feels insanely light. The club weight didn't change, but the balance of where that weight is changed in relation to how you're holding the club.

Swingweight will also have a very marginal effect on the flex of a shaft, but I don't think that's really not something to be concerned with.

- Arnold Palmer

Well.... I took the jump off the bridge!

TaylorMade Spider X

• balls_deepballs_deep Members Posts: 699 ✭✭

@arobbins3 said:

Look good

Cobra F9 Speedback 9° Tour Spec Atmos Black 6x
    Titleist 917F2 15.75° Aldila Rogue Black 70s
    Titleist 816H1 20° & 23° Accra FX200H M4
    Ping iBlade 4-PW DGS300
    Vokey SM7 50F 54S 58D DGS200
    Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2 350g 34.5"
    Pro V1x

Currently - 8.7

@balls_deep said:

@arobbins3 said:

Look good

Awesome!!!

@QuigleyDU said:

@balls_deep said:

@arobbins3 said:

Look good

Awesome!!!

What shaft? I really want these with the $ tapper.

• The_ChampThe_Champ CanadaMembers Posts: 28 ✭✭

For those who had the pervious version, how do they compare?

WITB

Driver: Taylormade M3 10.5* 460 - Tensei Pro Blue 60X

3 Wood: Taylormade Rocketballz Stage 2 tour 14*- Rocketfuel 70S

Driving iron: Taylormade P790 UDI 18* - UST Recoil 85X

4iron-AW: Callaway Steelhead Pro CF 17 - Dynamic Gold XP 105S

56*SS & 60*TS: Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth - Ping Wedge shaft

Putter: Taylormade Spider Tour Red - Superstroke GT 1.0

Backups

4 Hybrid: Taylormade Rocketballz 22*- Rocket fuel 80S

putter: Odyssey White Hot 2ball blade
  • ldchristopherldchristopher Members Posts: 941 ✭✭

The sole is noticeably thicker in the CBs than the MBs but that's literally the only difference. They both have very small blade lengths, minimal offset, and are a bit more forgiving than a traditional MB or CB that doesn't have any tech in it.

Driver: Titleist 917 D2 10.5° w/ Aldila Rogue Max 65 stiff
    3 Wood: Titleist 917 F2 15° w/ Aldila Rogue Black 80 stiff
    5 Wood: Titleist 917 F2 18˚ w/ Mitsubishi Diamana Whiteboard 80 extra stiff
    Hybrid: Titleist 816H 21˚ w/ Aldila Rogue Max 85 stiff
    Irons: Mizuno JPX 919 Forged (4-5 iron) and Tour (6-PW) w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff
    Wedges: Titleist Vokey Cold Forged 52°/8° 58°/10°
    Putter: Piretti Cottonwood II w/ black onyx finish
  • StanksStanks Everything I post is confrontational Members Posts: 1,282 ✭✭

@The_Champ said:
    For those who had the pervious version, how do they compare?

Looks wise, the same. Feel wise, a smidge harder because of the tungsten. They are great great irons. Not much was changed. Different stock shaft. The CNC milling on the face might be new feature but don't expect it to last through shots because of obvious wear. Paint scheme is a little new too.

@QuigleyDU said:

@QuigleyDU said:

@balls_deep said:

@arobbins3 said:

Look good

Awesome!!!

What shaft? I really want these with the $ tapper.

Project X LZ - $ Taper was a close second choice.

TaylorMade Spider X