Is the 2019 ProV1 a terrible ball?

BM5D

I have been playing the TP5x for the last 2 seasons. I recently ran out of TP5x balls and was playing away from my home course. This particular course only sells Titleist balls. So I grabbed a sleeve of 2019 ProV1 and headed to the first tee. Right off the bat, the ball sounded terrible off my 2 iron which usually rewards a good hit with a thwap and hiss. I thought maybe I caught it off the toe. Just a dead click sound.

This theme continued throughout the round and this was coupled with losing no less than 5-7 yards with every club. Into the wind? Forget it. I actually joked at one point and said "heads up" to my playing partner because the ball straight climbed the 10mph headwind and almost appeared to be coming backwards. It wasn't, but you know what I mean.

Greenside spin was nonexistent. My "stabby" lob wedge which usually checks and sits was rolling out 10+ yards. Overall I was just disgusted with how the ProV1 performed compared to the TP5x. Does anyone actually play this ball with any success?

sounds to me you are just very used tot he TP5X. The 5X definitely is lower spin on the mid irons but with wedges the Pro Vs, both models, certainly spin much more for me.

Personally I use Tour BX or Pro V1 X with the BX winning just. I have tried the 19 Pro V1, TP5 and TP5X, Z Star XV and out of them all the TP5X was my least favourite. Everyone is different it seems.

• Like 2
  • Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

> @BM5D said:

> I have been playing the TP5x for the last 2 seasons. I recently ran out of TP5x balls and was playing away from my home course. This particular course only sells Titleist balls. So I grabbed a sleeve of 2019 ProV1 and headed to the first tee. Right off the bat, the ball sounded terrible off my 2 iron which usually rewards a good hit with a thwap and hiss. I thought maybe I caught it off the toe. Just a dead click sound.

>

> This theme continued throughout the round and this was coupled with losing no less than 5-7 yards with every club. Into the wind? Forget it. I actually joked at one point and said "heads up" to my playing partner because the ball straight climbed the 10mph headwind and almost appeared to be coming backwards. It wasn't, but you know what I mean.

>

> Greenside spin was nonexistent. My "stabby" lob wedge which usually checks and sits was rolling out 10+ yards. Overall I was just disgusted with how the ProV1 performed compared to the TP5x. Does anyone actually play this ball with any success?

> @BM5D said:

> I have been playing the TP5x for the last 2 seasons. I recently ran out of TP5x balls and was playing away from my home course. This particular course only sells Titleist balls. So I grabbed a sleeve of 2019 ProV1 and headed to the first tee. Right off the bat, the ball sounded terrible off my 2 iron which usually rewards a good hit with a thwap and hiss. I thought maybe I caught it off the toe. Just a dead click sound.

>

> This theme continued throughout the round and this was coupled with losing no less than 5-7 yards with every club. Into the wind? Forget it. I actually joked at one point and said "heads up" to my playing partner because the ball straight climbed the 10mph headwind and almost appeared to be coming backwards. It wasn't, but you know what I mean.

>

> Greenside spin was nonexistent. My "stabby" lob wedge which usually checks and sits was rolling out 10+ yards. Overall I was just disgusted with how the ProV1 performed compared to the TP5x. Does anyone actually play this ball with any success?

Nope. No good players play the ProV. It's a disgusting rock. Great insight.

• Like 3

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

Sounds like a problem with contact more than the ball.

• Like 3

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

playing the 19 prov1 all summer. greenside spin is legit. maybe just hitting it TOO flush?

edited because summer has been in effect in texas for a few months*

9* TSI3 Tour AD-IZ6x

TS2 3w 15* Tour AD MT-7X

915Hd 2 Hybrid - KBS Prototype 75s 

Srixon 4-P 585/785 Combo KBS Tour V 110s

Vokey 50F/54D/58M TI S400

Putter: Odyssey WHP 7

Do you work for TaylorMade?

Kidding aside, I cannot say I've had the same experience. ProV is a solid ball, IMO.

• Like 1

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

Never loved the 2017 V1x the way that I loved the 2015 version but the 2019 V1x has been brilliant for me.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

I like the 2019 Pro-V1 yellow so much I purchased the buy 3 get 1 free with free personalization this spring. I was a Titleist resister for the past decade as I felt they were highly overrated and overpriced. But after testing the yellow version I was hooked.

Its longer off the driver than the other balls I was playing and wedge and green-side spin are excellent. They spin slightly more off the mid and short irons than I normally like, but I was willing to overlook that as the results with the driver and wedges were too good to dismiss.

I tried the TP5 and TP5X and found them both inconsistent for me. Just goes to show - different strokes for different folks.

• Like 4

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 6X

PXG Gen 5 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

When you start out by instantly disliking the sound the ball made when struck with your 2-iron (???) then it's probably a sure thing that you'll attribute every slightly less than satisfactory shot to the golf ball you already instantly disliked.

The obsession of golfers on this forum with the sound a golf ball makes continues to fascinate me. I've heard people I play golf with talk about the sound a certain *driver* makes being really loud. But can't recall anyone specifically complaining about the sound a certain ball makes. And don't get me started on reviews which start with the sound a ball makes with the putter!

> @"North Butte" said:

> When you start out by instantly disliking the sound the ball made when struck with your 2-iron (???) then it's probably a sure thing that you'll attribute every slightly less than satisfactory shot to the golf ball you already instantly disliked.

>

> The obsession of golfers on this forum with the sound a golf ball makes continues to fascinate me. I've heard people I play golf with talk about the sound a certain *driver* makes being really loud. But can't recall anyone specifically complaining about the sound a certain ball makes. And don't get me started on reviews which start with the sound a ball makes with the putter!

funny when I got fit for my Artisan putter, I tried the three levels of Milling for the face and John asked me which one I preferred and I said I hardly notice a difference so we went mid! some people are far more susceptible to different things, swing weight gets me big time.

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

> @scott_Donald said:

> > @"North Butte" said:

> > When you start out by instantly disliking the sound the ball made when struck with your 2-iron (???) then it's probably a sure thing that you'll attribute every slightly less than satisfactory shot to the golf ball you already instantly disliked.

> >

> > The obsession of golfers on this forum with the sound a golf ball makes continues to fascinate me. I've heard people I play golf with talk about the sound a certain *driver* makes being really loud. But can't recall anyone specifically complaining about the sound a certain ball makes. And don't get me started on reviews which start with the sound a ball makes with the putter!

>

> funny when I got fit for my Artisan putter, I tried the three levels of Milling for the face and John asked me which one I preferred and I said I hardly notice a difference so we went mid! some people are far more susceptible to different things, swing weight gets me big time.

My big bugaboo is grips. If I'm honest, trying any club with certain types of grips on it is a waste of time. If the grip doesn't fit my hand and feel good (I don't usually wear a glove) I simply can't give it a fair tryout.

I can just about ignore a Tour Velvet type (although I hate them) but any of the Winn or Superstroke or other plasticky slick type grips just ruin the whole thing. Or those white NDMC types (the white was way slicker and nastier than the other colors).

ProV is a great ball. You just have a preference for the TP5X. I hate TM drivers, why? Not sure but I haven’t hit one I liked since they put bubble shafts in them.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

I played the tp5x for two years and it was most definitely ten yards longer than the pro v and tp5 for me. It spun about as much as a rock for me as well though, so I gave the pro v1x a go.

Wow, for me (other users may find different results) the v1x gives me the same distance as the ‘17 tp5x but with much better spin off the wedges. The standard pro v1 is shorter than the tp5x but again gives me much better spin off the wedges.

The facts are this, whether you’re a titleist or Taylormade lover, all four balls are good balls. It’s finding one that’s right for your game. You’d be better with the v1x if you like the tp5x.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 10 set at 11 Hzrdus Red CB
Titleist TSI2 16.5 Tensei Blue

Ping G 17.5 set at 18.5 Ping tour shaft.
Titleist TS3 hybrid 21 Tensei Blue
Taylormade 2023 p790 5-PW kbs tour lite
Vokey SM9 50°/12° SM8 56°/14° and SM9 60°/10°
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport two
Taylormade TP5x

[i]Remember there are no pictures on a scorecard, only a number. [/i]

Simple solution, don't buy anymore.

I don't care for any of the ProV1/1x balls, never have.

JMO

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5) Ventus TR 5 R

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or AI Smoke 6-GW Tensei white 75 R

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

I had played the 17 pro v1 after I was fit at the 2017 Titleist trip and loved it. I put the 19 in play last week and it felt like a different ball and less accurate. I lost a sleeve in 14 holes. I havent done that since I was a kid, I usually play a ball for 2-3 rounds. maybe a bad day, maybe the balls, maybe who knows. Wasnt a good start to the relationship

Titleist Trip - New Bedford

Titleist TSi3 8* with Tensei AV Raw White 65X
Titleist 915 Fd 15 with diamana d+80X
Titleist 918H2 18* with Tensei CK White 90X
Titleist ap2 716 4-gw with Amt x100
Vokey sm9 54, 58 with Amt x100

Evnroll ER2

See 2019 prov1 experience thread.

• Like 1

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

I don’t see how OP can judge greenside spin by rollout when he also said in the post he was away from home playing a course he isn’t familiar with. Greens were probably firmer or springy compared to his home greens. As far as climbing the wind, I’ve always noticed the same thing with ProV1.

Current WITB

TAYLORMADE M5 9* (Tensei Pro white 80tx)
PING i25 14* (KuroKage Proto 70xx)
SRIXON ZU85 2i (C-TAPER 130x)
SRIXON Z785 4-PW (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 50S (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 55W (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 60X (C-TAPER 130x)
TAYLORMADE Spider Tour Black (no alignment aid)
BRIDGESTONE TOUR Bx 

> @ThunderBuzzworth said:

> I don’t see how OP can judge greenside spin by rollout when he also said in the post he was away from home playing a course he isn’t familiar with. Greens were probably firmer or springy compared to his home greens. As far as climbing the wind, I’ve always noticed the same thing with ProV1.

TB...so nice to see you back and posting. How's the game Sir?

> @DavePelz4 said:

> > @ThunderBuzzworth said:

> > I don’t see how OP can judge greenside spin by rollout when he also said in the post he was away from home playing a course he isn’t familiar with. Greens were probably firmer or springy compared to his home greens. As far as climbing the wind, I’ve always noticed the same thing with ProV1.

>

> TB...so nice to see you back and posting. How's the game Sir?

Just been kinda reading the past few months without posting but I’m always around for the most part. The game is spotty this year. When I hit it really well I struggle making the putts that turn decent rounds into great rounds. Shooting a lot of scores around par but if a few putts were to drop here and there it could turn into a great summer

• Like 1

Current WITB

TAYLORMADE M5 9* (Tensei Pro white 80tx)
PING i25 14* (KuroKage Proto 70xx)
SRIXON ZU85 2i (C-TAPER 130x)
SRIXON Z785 4-PW (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 50S (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 55W (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 60X (C-TAPER 130x)
TAYLORMADE Spider Tour Black (no alignment aid)
BRIDGESTONE TOUR Bx