We have launched our new enhanced Editor. There is an overview and tutorial Here.

Upgrading from Callaway MD2 to MD4 - but which spec to pick?

nickc909 ·  
nickc909nickc909  1WRX Points: 0Members Posts: 1

Hi,
I am looking to upgrade my dependable Callaway MD2 60 degree wedge to a new MD4 version.
My MD2 60 is the 14C bounce/grind version.

I see MD4 60 offers 8C and 12X versions - which of these is the closest match to my MD2 60 14C?
Thanks.

Posted:

Comments

• AndygoldersonAndygolderson  38WRX Points: 13Members Posts: 38

I think the bounce is dependant on your personal preference and playing style / conditions.
    I own 4 Md4's all in an s-grind and it's pretty nice and general purpose i'd say. If you're cutting down steep behind the ball, you'd be looking for X grind and if you're looking to be more versatile and playing wide open, then C would be better.
    With the S grind i notice when playing wide open, i have to keep well on the knees and pretty low to avoid cutting the ball with the sole and flying over. the 60degree seems to be much more forgiving for this though, despite them all being 10 bounce s-grind.

It's fairly well explained fomr their website;

Pro Tip: C-Grind and the new X-Grind Mack Daddy 4 wedges are ideal for golfers that like to play a variety of different shots or play at a course that offers a wide range of lies. W-Grind and S-Grind Mack Daddy 4 wedges are extremely versatile and ideal for golfers who primarily like to hit their wedge shots with a square face.
    C-Grind
    Increased relief, especially at the heel, makes it easier to play a variety of shots with the face open. Ideal for medium-to-shallow attack angles and/or rm course conditions. 8° bounce.
    S-Grind
    Medium-width sole with slight ribbon at the back and moderate heel relief to keep the leading edge low through impact, promoting solid contact on open-faced shots. 10° bounce.
    W-Grind
    Sole is wider at the center and toe and narrower at the heel, with moderate heel relief and generous front-to- back camber. That prevents digging without increasing bounce, and keeps the leading edge close to the turf at impact. More versatile than our previous W-Grind. 12° bounce.
    X-Grind
    This new grind features a narrow, high-bounce crescent sole, with the low point near the front. Excellent for moderate-to-steep attack angles and medium-to-soft course conditions. 12° bounce.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.