18 hole playoff

Railroading13

MAN I miss the 18 hole playoff format for the open. I know it hasn't happened yet... I have a feeling we will see a playoff next week and all it will do is annoy me because I will miss the old format. It was unique and really put all eyes in the golfing world on that 1 round, it was a truer test and identified the winner in a much better way. Anti-climatic? Maybe, but for golf purests the 18 hole playoff was must see TV and allowed golfers a chance to really study the best in the game in a long-challenging-pressure situation. Have to work Monday? Tough s***, watch it on your phone or computer.

eh, maybe ... it was certainly unique, and mirrored the grind of the 72 hole tournament ... i like the 4 hole aggregate playoff format of the Open ... don't like the 2-hole aggregate of the US Open ... wouldn't mind a 9-hole playoff ... would be something to have seen a playoff without sudden death that required 18 holes for each tie (1946) ... shows the grit of a lloyd mangrum to have played 72 holes in 2 days to win ...

> @Hawkeye77 said:

> Yep, that Goosen vs. Brooks playoff was a real sizzler.

>

> Lucky if all of it was televised, period.

>

> Almost nobody watched them ("all eyes on the golfing world" - lol, all eyes on As The World Turns).

People who were/are passionate about the game were certainly watching, casual fans maybe not, but should we cater the national championship to casual fans? Absolutely not.

Its just too big of an expense to have everyone stay for one more day to watch a couple in playoff, when they could have finished it the day before.

They get terrible ratings, except the Tiger/Rocco playoff, and everyone wanting to watch The View are pissed.

Can you imagine if the Super Bowl finished in a tie, and they said, "Come back tomorrow for a full 4 quarters of overtime. Kickoff at 9:00am".

Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
Bobby: I play because I love it.
Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.

I much prefer the 18 hole playoff, but I can see the benefits of something shorter. Two holes is a joke, though, you can barely even call it an aggregate score. The British Open 4-hole seems like a good compromise but I’d guess that the USGA and TV networks live in fear of not getting it in before dark and coming back Monday for twenty minutes of golf.

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - 10.5*
Fairway: Callaway Epic Max - 15*, 21*, 25*

Hybrid:  Ping G425 30*
Irons: TaylorMade Stealth 7-AW
Wedges: PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 56* 

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 62*
Putter:  Directed Force 2.1
Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft

> @BrianMcG said:

>

> Its just too big of an expense to have everyone stay for one more day to watch a couple in playoff, when they could have finished it the day before.

> They get terrible ratings, except the Tiger/Rocco playoff, and everyone wanting to watch The View are pissed.

>

> Can you imagine if the Super Bowl finished in a tie, and they said, "Come back tomorrow for a full 4 quarters of overtime. Kickoff at 9:00am".

Anyone who watches The View is pissed anyway.

• Like 2

> @Railroading13 said:

> People who were/are passionate about the game were certainly watching, casual fans maybe not, but should we cater the national championship to casual fans? Absolutely not.

You're telling me people who are passionate about the game don't have jobs? Or they are so unnecessary to their job that they can skip it and watch golf instead? Ridiculous.

BTW - I'm not opposed to an 18 hole playoff. I'm opposed to one that is being played while most of the adults in the USA are at work. If they started the 4th round on Sunday early enough to play an 18 hole round on Sunday in the case of a tie, I'd be fine with that.

> @Steele47 said:

> > @BrianMcG said:

> >

> > Its just too big of an expense to have everyone stay for one more day to watch a couple in playoff, when they could have finished it the day before.

> > They get terrible ratings, except the Tiger/Rocco playoff, and everyone wanting to watch The View are pissed.

> >

> > Can you imagine if the Super Bowl finished in a tie, and they said, "Come back tomorrow for a full 4 quarters of overtime. Kickoff at 9:00am".

>

>

> Anyone who watches The View is pissed anyway.

Tell it like it is brother !!

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @"Mr. Hogan" said:

> > @Railroading13 said:

> > People who were/are passionate about the game were certainly watching, casual fans maybe not, but should we cater the national championship to casual fans? Absolutely not.

> You're telling me people who are passionate about the game don't have jobs? Or they are so unnecessary to their job that they can skip it and watch golf instead? Ridiculous.

>

> BTW - I'm not opposed to an 18 hole playoff. I'm opposed to one that is being played while most of the adults in the USA are at work. If they started the 4th round on Sunday early enough to play an 18 hole round on Sunday in the case of a tie, I'd be fine with that.

>

Lots of people work jobs with Monday’s off, myself included. Lots of people have access to their phones/computer and could stream the round. Look at this forum during the week, most everyone on here posts during work

18 hole playoff = total buzz kill.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

> @"Darth Putter" said:

> 18 holes, satisfactory if you're a millennial with no attention span.

> 36 holes is the true playoff contest. And if you're still tied like Billy Burke and George Von Elm in 1931, you play another 36 hole playoff.

I like it, but...

Why mandate a set number of holes? Play a mandatory 18 and then just continue playing until the player(s) who are behind quit. Then the winner can claim manly man superiority over all golfdom while humiliating the quitters as, well, quitters.

> @Railroading13 said:

> > @Hawkeye77 said:

> > Yep, that Goosen vs. Brooks playoff was a real sizzler.

> >

> > Lucky if all of it was televised, period.

> >

> > Almost nobody watched them ("all eyes on the golfing world" - lol, all eyes on As The World Turns).

>

> People who were/are passionate about the game were certainly watching, casual fans maybe not, but should we cater the national championship to casual fans? Absolutely not.

We shouldn't but welcome to the ESPN-ification of golf. They've been catering to the casual fan since Tiger won his first Masters. Casual fan pays the bills.

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

> @Ferguson said:

> I hope it's not this Monday. I am already taping "Bagger Vance IV - Road to Inverness"

>

> Anyone know if you can record two things at once?

Isn't it time for a Tin Cup marathon again?

Back to the playoff. 4 hole aggregate, then iif still tied settle it the way real men used to settle things......pistols at 20 paces.

I definitely think it shouldn't be just 2 holes, but I understand why they scrapped the 18 hole playoff. Having to get volunteers, media, A/V crew, transportation, logistics, and everything else that's involved with putting on a golf tournament is crazy when you think they've all begun the wrap up and move on process but are then told "oh yeah we need you all to come back tomorrow"

WITB
Taylormade SIM2 10.5* Ventus Black 6X
Taylormade SIM 19* AD-DI 7X

Taylormade Stealth 3h Ventus Blue 9X
Mizuno MP-69 4-PW Modus 120 S
Vokey SM9 50 - 55 - 60 DGTI S400 

Scotty Cameron GoLo 6

I get the huge expense for having an 18 hole playoff with almost no financial gain, but they are getting $93 million a year, they can take care of those costs if the alternative is a 2 hole aggregate. I would much prefer to see something more like the 3 or 4 hole aggregate if they want to go that route.

I also don't have a ton of luxury of seeing the rounds during most Monday's as I am working, but with how infrequently any kind of Monday finish seems to happen, I will survive if I don't see it.

> @MidwestGolfBum said:

> I get the huge expense for having an 18 hole playoff with almost no financial gain, but they are getting $93 million a year, they can take care of those costs if the alternative is a 2 hole aggregate. I would much prefer to see something more like the 3 or 4 hole aggregate if they want to go that route.

>

> I also don't have a ton of luxury of seeing the rounds during most Monday's as I am working, but with how infrequently any kind of Monday finish seems to happen, I will survive if I don't see it.

Yeah at the very least make it a 3-4 hole playoff, 2 leaves too much up to chance

WITB
Taylormade SIM2 10.5* Ventus Black 6X
Taylormade SIM 19* AD-DI 7X

Taylormade Stealth 3h Ventus Blue 9X
Mizuno MP-69 4-PW Modus 120 S
Vokey SM9 50 - 55 - 60 DGTI S400 

Scotty Cameron GoLo 6

> @Ferguson said:

> I hope it's not this Monday. I am already taping "Bagger Vance IV - Road to Inverness"

>

> Anyone know if you can record two things at once?

If you have a Sony Beta upstairs and a VHS downstairs you should be good to go Ferg.

You may need to delete some older Phil Mickelson highlites to make space on the tapes

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

I think it should be a 3 hole playoff that covers a par 3, par 4 and par 5. And the 18th has to be one of those holes for the majority of the fans parked there

At Pebble it happens to work well with holes 16, 17, and 18. Other places you may need to jump around a little

Tee off 1 hour earlier to make it happen. 2 holes is silly

Amazing they used to play 36 on Saturday and then a playoff was 36 on Sunday. All done in wool pants to boot

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

> @cardoustie said:

> > @Ferguson said:

> > I hope it's not this Monday. I am already taping "Bagger Vance IV - Road to Inverness"

> >

> > Anyone know if you can record two things at once?

>

> If you have a Sony Beta upstairs and a VHS downstairs you should be good to go Ferg.

> You may need to delete some older Phil Mickelson highlites to make space on the tapes

I just got a second VHS for the second floor, and put the Beta in the attic (pull it for holidays, etc.)

I'm covered.

I accidentally recorded over Phil last year when my wife had a pool party with her running pals. I filmed it.

I'm no Bob Crane but the party was a success.

• Like 1

I loved the 18 hole playoff. I felt that it helped the U.S. Open distinguish itself from other majors (beyond making courses incredibly or impossibly difficult). If they wanted to change it, which I get in an era of shortened attention spans, then they should have gone to a four hole playoff. Doing two holes is just silly and it seems they did that because the Open has four and the PGA has three.