Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Central IL Golfers Den

Murphy76Murphy76 Members Posts: 100 ✭✭✭

I reside in central IL near Champaign/Urbana. Any other locals wish to chime in on local courses and culture?

Remember, Steve Stricker is our patron saint...... B)

Comments

• TheMagicStingerTheMagicStinger Members Posts: 688 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm over in blono. You ever make it this way?

• Murphy76Murphy76 Members Posts: 100 ✭✭✭

Nope, not yet. any good courses over there?

• TheMagicStingerTheMagicStinger Members Posts: 688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Jul 21, 2019 1:56am #4

Sure, Weibring is solid.

The Den and Prairie Vista are fun as well.

If you ever make it this way on a weekday let me know! I just started playing again so I'm hyper inconsistent... But I'll play.

@Murphy76 said:
    Nope, not yet. any good courses over there?

• cadoipicadoipi Members Posts: 14 ✭✭

For early morning rounds I go to Lake of the Woods, for midday rounds I go to the U of I course, and for afternoons I go to Stone Creek. This is mainly due to when they have special rates. Stone Creek is by far the most interesting/challenging/maintained course of the three, but it is hard to say no to $20 rounds elsewhere. Without a rangefinder the U of I course can be frustrating, since there is no indicator for the depth of the pin location.

• jbrunkjbrunk Central IllinoisMembers Posts: 644 ✭✭✭✭✭

Checking in, I live in Bloomington and spent most of my summer on Ironwood & Weibring (ISU) in Normal. Both very well maintained this season. The new bunkers at ISU are pretty. I would travel to Champaign or Peoria, but there’s plenty here with five quality 18-hole public courses in town.

Cobra F9 1W Rogue MAX 65
    Cobra F6 3W HZRDUS Smoke 75
    Cobra F9 Tour 5W HZRDUS Smoke 75
    Ping G 4Hy NV 2KXV Green 85H
    Callaway XF/MB 5i-PW Modus3 120
    Mizuno S18 52 56 60
    Piretti Teramo CS

• Murphy76Murphy76 Members Posts: 100 ✭✭✭

I played Ironhorse in Tuscola a little while ago. Course was in Horrible shape.

• cadoipicadoipi Members Posts: 14 ✭✭

@Murphy76 said:
    I played Ironhorse in Tuscola a little while ago. Course was in Horrible shape.

I played there last Monday and I agree, though at least the greens were in decent shape compared to the rest of the course. The course was in better shape in the early summer. I imagine that many of its patrons are involved with agriculture (due to its location), and farmers are likely keeping their purse strings tight this year.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file