Johnny Miller Best Tip Ever

platgofplatgof platgofClubWRX Posts: 1,533 ClubWRX

Johnnies tip about the left shoulder was just what I needed. I had more greens in regulation today because of that tip. Just one amazing iron shot after another. I just can't think him enough for this tip. Your awesome Mr.Miller!!!!!

GBB Fusion HT 13.5
F9 5-6 WD
F9 7-8 WD
OS 5 & 6 Hybrid
CF16 5-PW
Glide AW, SW, LW
TM Spider Pro Red C/S
B330RX

Comments

• burritos4breakfastburritos4breakfast hawai'iMembers Posts: 280 ✭✭
  • DivdevilDivdevil Members Posts: 20 ✭✭
  • BuzzkillBuzzkill Marshals Posts: 6,827 mod

@platgof said:
    Johnnies tip about the left shoulder was just what I needed. I had more greens in regulation today because of that tip. Just one amazing iron shot after another. I just can't think him enough for this tip. Your awesome Mr.Miller!!!!!

This?

WITVB (What's in the Vessel bag) - Cobra, Taylormade & Titleist
    Handicap:  3
  • platgofplatgof platgof ClubWRX Posts: 1,533 ClubWRX

thanks buzzkill

GBB Fusion HT 13.5
    F9 5-6 WD
    F9 7-8 WD
    OS 5 & 6 Hybrid
    CF16 5-PW
    Glide AW, SW, LW
    TM Spider Pro Red C/S
    B330RX
  • carreracarrera Members Posts: 2,579 ✭✭

That thought would seem to promote shifting the upper body (too far) forward on the downswing.

Cobra F9 Tour Length - Hzrdus Smoke 70 stiff
    Cobra F9 14.5 - Atmos Blue Stiff
    Callaway Epic Hybrid - Recoil 780 stiff
    Cobra King 3/4 Utility - Recoil 780 Smacwrap F4
    Cobra King Forged TEC Black - Recoil 95 F4 5-PW
    Cobra King Black wedges 54/58 versatile grinds - Recoil 110 F4
    Odyssey 2Ball
    TM TP5X
    edited Jun 10, 2019 12:43am #9

From Johnny Miller: I feel sorry for players who struggle with swing mechanics — they never get to enjoy the game to its fullest. Sure, playing golf is fun even when you're not hitting it great, but imagine the thrill of maneuvering the ball into perfect position on every swing and not worrying about the next big miss. I assure you, it's magic.

Even if you have more than a few things wrong with your technique, I'll bet I can solve a bunch of them with one easy tip. I have dozens of fixes, and this one is near the top of the list. I've seen it work on golfers of all levels, from high-handicappers with chronic slices to the pros I played against. Heck, I use it when my own swing falls off track. It's about positioning your left shoulder so that you catch the ball first and the ground second when swinging an iron.

Here's how it works.

STEP 1: Take your normal address. Note the position of your left shoulder and burn it into your mind's eye.

STEP 2: Swing the club back. Regardless of whether you make a big or little turn, or a wide or narrow arm swing, your left shoulder will move out of the position it was in at setup — and this shoulder movement is perfectly okay. Ideally, your shoulder should move under your chin, but that's not critical.

STEP 3: Here's the important part. As you swing down, concentrate on returning your left shoulder to its starting position. I don't care how you do it — just do it.

Returning your left shoulder at impact to its address position does two things: First, it gives you clean contact, allowing you to trap the ball between the turf and the clubface. Second, it stops you from "hanging back" on your right side, or doing what I call the "sway and stay." Swaying and staying is a high-handicap move that produces slices and hooks in equal amounts.

Here's a helpful hint for the all-important Step 3. Picture a knife pointed at the outside of your left shoulder at address. Don't overdo the move to the point where the Knife plunges deep into your shoulder — just do it enough to feel a little puncture. In other words, cut your shoulder, not the ball.

GBB Fusion HT 13.5
    F9 5-6 WD
    F9 7-8 WD
    OS 5 & 6 Hybrid
    CF16 5-PW
    Glide AW, SW, LW
    TM Spider Pro Red C/S
    B330RX
  • DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area.ClubWRX Posts: 24,678 ClubWRX

I thought the tip was hit it 1 groove higher.

• DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area.ClubWRX Posts: 24,678 ClubWRX

@platgof said:
    I feel sorry for players who struggle with swing mechanics — they never get to enjoy the game to its fullest. Sure, playing golf is fun even when you're not hitting it great, but imagine the thrill of maneuvering the ball into perfect position on every swing and not worrying about the next big miss. I assure you, it's magic.

Even if you have more than a few things wrong with your technique, I'll bet I can solve a bunch of them with one easy tip. I have dozens of fixes, and this one is near the top of the list. I've seen it work on golfers of all levels, from high-handicappers with chronic slices to the pros I played against. Heck, I use it when my own swing falls off track. It's about positioning your left shoulder so that you catch the ball first and the ground second when swinging an iron.

Here's how it works.

STEP 1: Take your normal address. Note the position of your left shoulder and burn it into your mind's eye.

STEP 2: Swing the club back. Regardless of whether you make a big or little turn, or a wide or narrow arm swing, your left shoulder will move out of the position it was in at setup — and this shoulder movement is perfectly okay. Ideally, your shoulder should move under your chin, but that's not critical.

STEP 3: Here's the important part. As you swing down, concentrate on returning your left shoulder to its starting position. I don't care how you do it — just do it.

Returning your left shoulder at impact to its address position does two things: First, it gives you clean contact, allowing you to trap the ball between the turf and the clubface. Second, it stops you from "hanging back" on your right side, or doing what I call the "sway and stay." Swaying and staying is a high-handicap move that produces slices and hooks in equal amounts.

Here's a helpful hint for the all-important Step 3. Picture a knife pointed at the outside of your left shoulder at address. Don't overdo the move to the point where the Knife plunges deep into your shoulder — just do it enough to feel a little puncture. In other words, cut your shoulder, not the ball.

Respectfully...your profile says you're a 17 and you feel bad for those who struggle with swing mechanics? Are you a 17 who DOESN'T struggle with swing mechanics?

no, it's the one above, my fault there

GBB Fusion HT 13.5
    F9 5-6 WD
    F9 7-8 WD
    OS 5 & 6 Hybrid
    CF16 5-PW
    Glide AW, SW, LW
    TM Spider Pro Red C/S
    B330RX

that is from Johnny Miller, of course I struggle!!

GBB Fusion HT 13.5
    F9 5-6 WD
    F9 7-8 WD
    OS 5 & 6 Hybrid
    CF16 5-PW
    Glide AW, SW, LW
    TM Spider Pro Red C/S
    B330RX
  • juliette91juliette91 Members Posts: 1,472 ✭✭
    edited Jun 10, 2019 8:26pm #14

I'm glad you qualified the left shoulder under the chin tip from Miller with his actual words. This eliminates all the posts poking holes in that kind of tip. That said, the actual Miller tip seems complicated to implement. Watching your shoulder in your mind's eye while that mind's eye is loaded up with target visuals and perhaps other things seems to ask too much of that "eye".

But it's Miller talking here and I'd be very interested to hear from anyone who has tried to do what Miller advocates--other than the OP who for whatever reason has found W.O.O.D with this tip.

edited Jun 11, 2019 9:18pm #15

From what i gathered he is talking about how people who quit on the swing and leave the left shoulder or the left side stuck in gear so to speak. He is advocating a reference point to help golfers to make sure they keep the body parts moving together and letting the left side finish it's job instead of getting "left behind." That's my take. You would be surprised how many do this, especially seniors. The topic mainly covers irons and that is why it helped me the most, my iron play. Cheers mate!

Post edited by platgof on
    GBB Fusion HT 13.5
    F9 5-6 WD
    F9 7-8 WD
    OS 5 & 6 Hybrid
    CF16 5-PW
    Glide AW, SW, LW
    TM Spider Pro Red C/S
    B330RX
  • cpeckcpeck North new jerseyMembers Posts: 557 ✭✭

if your wearing the back pack while doing this do you need sharpen the knife before hand so it goes through the strap? asking for a friend

For your friend it is next to the ear.

GBB Fusion HT 13.5
    F9 5-6 WD
    F9 7-8 WD
    OS 5 & 6 Hybrid
    CF16 5-PW
    Glide AW, SW, LW
    TM Spider Pro Red C/S
    B330RX
  • GirevikGirevik Thrifty Scott Members Posts: 778 ✭✭
    edited Jun 11, 2019 12:12pm #18

@DavePelz4 said:

@platgof said:
    I feel sorry for players who struggle with swing mechanics — they never get to enjoy the game to its fullest. Sure, playing golf is fun even when you're not hitting it great, but imagine the thrill of maneuvering the ball into perfect position on every swing and not worrying about the next big miss. I assure you, it's magic.

Here's how it works.

Respectfully...your profile says you're a 17 and you feel bad for those who struggle with swing mechanics? Are you a 17 who DOESN'T struggle with swing mechanics?

You edited out the part that said "from Johnny Miller" (unless that wasn't there originally and OP added it later). That was Miller's quote, not OP's.

Sto Pro Veritate
  • oukeithoukeith Members Posts: 164 ✭✭

I could see people getting into trouble by starting the swing with their shoulder, which will get them outside in.

@Girevik said:

@DavePelz4 said:

@platgof said:

Here's how it works.

You edited out the part that said "from Johnny Miller" (unless that wasn't there originally and OP added it later). That was Miller's quote, not OP's.

The OP was edited which is what led to the comment.

• cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Tasmania to CanadaMembers Posts: 12,285 ✭✭

Left shoulder focus works well for me
    I have used this tip and also stuff from Carl Lohren with great success. Index under 2 fwiw

Ping G410 LST 12* Blueboard TI 53x
    Ping G400 13.9* Blueboard 63x
    Ping G400 5w 16.5* Blueboard 73x 
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* Mitsu KK 80s
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* Mitsu KK 80s
    Ping Blueprint 6-8i DG xp115 x100 p-spec
    Ping Blueprint 9i-PW DG s400 orange dot
    Vokey sm2 TVD M grind 50*, 54* & 60* DG s400 Onyx
    Piretti Matera Elite (torched)
  • BottleCapBottleCap Members Posts: 1,390 ✭✭

@oukeith said:
    I could see people getting into trouble by starting the swing with their shoulder, which will get them outside in.

Not for a body oriented release like Miller, they just drop the arms and it comes down the line.

If you have an arm swing i'd expect to see it go outside in.

Titleist TS2 GD TourAD DI 7S
    Titleist 917 F3 GD TourAD IZ 8S
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3-4 DG AMT S300
    Mizuno MP-18 5-PW DG S400
    Vokey SM7 54M and 60M
    Cameron Newport 2 CT
    Bridgestone Tour B XS
  • kowalgolfkowalgolf Members Posts: 210 ✭✭

I've used this in the past. Got it from Monte's D for D video. Separate left shoulder from chin to initiate DS.

• DShepleyDShepley Members Posts: 44 ✭✭
    edited Jun 11, 2019 3:33pm #24

@cardoustie said:
    Left shoulder focus works well for me
    I have used this tip and also stuff from Carl Lohren with great success. Index under 2 fwiw

Same here, when my game goes off the rails, it is usually due to tempo, (rushing from the top), or a rear shoulder dip causing an under plane swing that is too shallow and too much in to out. This shoulder move helps steepen my down swing and also helps me get back to my left side. I've never suffered from slow hips, so the focus on the upper body tends to catch me up to my hips if that makes sense. My index is also under 2.

• StanksStanks Everything I post is confrontational Members Posts: 1,360 ✭✭

Very solid tip from a rockstar of a player, Johnny Miller. Montes left shoulder out and down on the D for D and efficent swing series helps exponentially as well.

@DavePelz4 said:

@Girevik said:

@DavePelz4 said:

@platgof said:

Here's how it works.

The OP was edited which is what led to the comment.

Sorry guys, I added; from Johnny Miller when people thought it was my quote, I wish!

GBB Fusion HT 13.5
    F9 5-6 WD
    F9 7-8 WD
    OS 5 & 6 Hybrid
    CF16 5-PW
    Glide AW, SW, LW
    TM Spider Pro Red C/S
    B330RX
  • oukeithoukeith Members Posts: 164 ✭✭

I found myself using this thought on the range yesterday. It’s actually a great mental picture to help you stay balanced and centered throughout the swing.

• musclefrontmusclefront Members Posts: 157 ✭✭

kind of similar to replace left shoulder with right shoulder feel on the downswing as well. whatever works!

• BarfolomewBarfolomew #worstWRXer Members Posts: 1,401 ✭✭

oh crap what about my left shoulder?

G30 LST
    3 wood M2 HL
    OnOffOnAgain Kuros 4-P
    Cleveland Blob
    SeeMore Butts
  • torbilltorbill Members Posts: 336 ✭✭

I came across Miller’s idea a couple of years ago. It really helps me. I use Ballard swing principles, and when you hang back with this method it is fatal. There is no way I can hang back by returning my lead shoulder to the address position. Also, returning the shoulder is a thought and feel that comes pretty easily to me. What I really like is that Miller’s idea isn’t something that I add to, or change from, my swing principles - it reinforces them, it helps me do them right. It fits.

• PowderedToastManPowderedToastMan Members Posts: 3,957 ✭✭

I think about my left shoulder in my swing usually when it feels like it’s dislocating. I don’t recommend that feel.

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being. Reformed club ho.

In the bag:

PING. Lots of PING.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file