Johnny Miller Best Tip Ever

Johnnies tip about the left shoulder was just what I needed. I had more greens in regulation today because of that tip. Just one amazing iron shot after another. I just can't think him enough for this tip. Your awesome Mr.Miller!!!!!

Bag is in overhaul mode

Clubs identify as hacker set

From Johnny Miller: I feel sorry for players who struggle with swing mechanics — they never get to enjoy the game to its fullest. Sure, playing golf is fun even when you're not hitting it great, but imagine the thrill of maneuvering the ball into perfect position on every swing and not worrying about the next big miss. I assure you, it's magic.

Even if you have more than a few things wrong with your technique, I'll bet I can solve a bunch of them with one easy tip. I have dozens of fixes, and this one is near the top of the list. I've seen it work on golfers of all levels, from high-handicappers with chronic slices to the pros I played against. Heck, I use it when my own swing falls off track. It's about positioning your left shoulder so that you catch the ball first and the ground second when swinging an iron.

Here's how it works.

STEP 1: Take your normal address. Note the position of your left shoulder and burn it into your mind's eye.

STEP 2: Swing the club back. Regardless of whether you make a big or little turn, or a wide or narrow arm swing, your left shoulder will move out of the position it was in at setup — and this shoulder movement is perfectly okay. Ideally, your shoulder should move under your chin, but that's not critical.

STEP 3: Here's the important part. As you swing down, concentrate on returning your left shoulder to its starting position. I don't care how you do it — just do it.

Returning your left shoulder at impact to its address position does two things: First, it gives you clean contact, allowing you to trap the ball between the turf and the clubface. Second, it stops you from "hanging back" on your right side, or doing what I call the "sway and stay." Swaying and staying is a high-handicap move that produces slices and hooks in equal amounts.

Here's a helpful hint for the all-important Step 3. Picture a knife pointed at the outside of your left shoulder at address. Don't overdo the move to the point where the Knife plunges deep into your shoulder — just do it enough to feel a little puncture. In other words, cut your shoulder, not the ball.

• Like 1

Bag is in overhaul mode

> @platgof said:

> I feel sorry for players who struggle with swing mechanics — they never get to enjoy the game to its fullest. Sure, playing golf is fun even when you're not hitting it great, but imagine the thrill of maneuvering the ball into perfect position on every swing and not worrying about the next big miss. I assure you, it's magic.

>

> Even if you have more than a few things wrong with your technique, I'll bet I can solve a bunch of them with one easy tip. I have dozens of fixes, and this one is near the top of the list. I've seen it work on golfers of all levels, from high-handicappers with chronic slices to the pros I played against. Heck, I use it when my own swing falls off track. It's about positioning your left shoulder so that you catch the ball first and the ground second when swinging an iron.

>

> Here's how it works.

>

> STEP 1: Take your normal address. Note the position of your left shoulder and burn it into your mind's eye.

>

> STEP 2: Swing the club back. Regardless of whether you make a big or little turn, or a wide or narrow arm swing, your left shoulder will move out of the position it was in at setup — and this shoulder movement is perfectly okay. Ideally, your shoulder should move under your chin, but that's not critical.

>

> STEP 3: Here's the important part. As you swing down, concentrate on returning your left shoulder to its starting position. I don't care how you do it — just do it.

>

> Returning your left shoulder at impact to its address position does two things: First, it gives you clean contact, allowing you to trap the ball between the turf and the clubface. Second, it stops you from "hanging back" on your right side, or doing what I call the "sway and stay." Swaying and staying is a high-handicap move that produces slices and hooks in equal amounts.

>

> Here's a helpful hint for the all-important Step 3. Picture a knife pointed at the outside of your left shoulder at address. Don't overdo the move to the point where the Knife plunges deep into your shoulder — just do it enough to feel a little puncture. In other words, cut your shoulder, not the ball.

>

>

Respectfully...your profile says you're a 17 and you feel bad for those who struggle with swing mechanics? Are you a 17 who DOESN'T struggle with swing mechanics?

I'm glad you qualified the left shoulder under the chin tip from Miller with his actual words. This eliminates all the posts poking holes in that kind of tip. That said, the actual Miller tip seems complicated to implement. Watching your shoulder in your mind's eye while that mind's eye is loaded up with target visuals and perhaps other things seems to ask too much of that "eye".

But it's Miller talking here and I'd be very interested to hear from anyone who has tried to do what Miller advocates--other than the OP who for whatever reason has found W.O.O.D with this tip.

From what i gathered he is talking about how people who quit on the swing and leave the left shoulder or the left side stuck in gear so to speak. He is advocating a reference point to help golfers to make sure they keep the body parts moving together and letting the left side finish it's job instead of getting "left behind." That's my take. You would be surprised how many do this, especially seniors. The topic mainly covers irons and that is why it helped me the most, my iron play. Cheers mate!

Bag is in overhaul mode

> @DavePelz4 said:

> > @platgof said:

> > I feel sorry for players who struggle with swing mechanics — they never get to enjoy the game to its fullest. Sure, playing golf is fun even when you're not hitting it great, but imagine the thrill of maneuvering the ball into perfect position on every swing and not worrying about the next big miss. I assure you, it's magic.

> >

> > Even if you have more than a few things wrong with your technique, I'll bet I can solve a bunch of them with one easy tip. I have dozens of fixes, and this one is near the top of the list. I've seen it work on golfers of all levels, from high-handicappers with chronic slices to the pros I played against. Heck, I use it when my own swing falls off track. It's about positioning your left shoulder so that you catch the ball first and the ground second when swinging an iron.

> >

> > Here's how it works.

> >

> > STEP 1: Take your normal address. Note the position of your left shoulder and burn it into your mind's eye.

> >

> > STEP 2: Swing the club back. Regardless of whether you make a big or little turn, or a wide or narrow arm swing, your left shoulder will move out of the position it was in at setup — and this shoulder movement is perfectly okay. Ideally, your shoulder should move under your chin, but that's not critical.

> >

> > STEP 3: Here's the important part. As you swing down, concentrate on returning your left shoulder to its starting position. I don't care how you do it — just do it.

> >

> > Returning your left shoulder at impact to its address position does two things: First, it gives you clean contact, allowing you to trap the ball between the turf and the clubface. Second, it stops you from "hanging back" on your right side, or doing what I call the "sway and stay." Swaying and staying is a high-handicap move that produces slices and hooks in equal amounts.

> >

> > Here's a helpful hint for the all-important Step 3. Picture a knife pointed at the outside of your left shoulder at address. Don't overdo the move to the point where the Knife plunges deep into your shoulder — just do it enough to feel a little puncture. In other words, cut your shoulder, not the ball.

> >

> >

>

> Respectfully...your profile says you're a 17 and you feel bad for those who struggle with swing mechanics? Are you a 17 who DOESN'T struggle with swing mechanics?

You edited out the part that said "from Johnny Miller" (unless that wasn't there originally and OP added it later). That was Miller's quote, not OP's.

Sto Pro Veritate

> @Girevik said:

> > @DavePelz4 said:

> > > @platgof said:

> > > I feel sorry for players who struggle with swing mechanics — they never get to enjoy the game to its fullest. Sure, playing golf is fun even when you're not hitting it great, but imagine the thrill of maneuvering the ball into perfect position on every swing and not worrying about the next big miss. I assure you, it's magic.

> > >

> > > Even if you have more than a few things wrong with your technique, I'll bet I can solve a bunch of them with one easy tip. I have dozens of fixes, and this one is near the top of the list. I've seen it work on golfers of all levels, from high-handicappers with chronic slices to the pros I played against. Heck, I use it when my own swing falls off track. It's about positioning your left shoulder so that you catch the ball first and the ground second when swinging an iron.

> > >

> > > Here's how it works.

> > >

> > > STEP 1: Take your normal address. Note the position of your left shoulder and burn it into your mind's eye.

> > >

> > > STEP 2: Swing the club back. Regardless of whether you make a big or little turn, or a wide or narrow arm swing, your left shoulder will move out of the position it was in at setup — and this shoulder movement is perfectly okay. Ideally, your shoulder should move under your chin, but that's not critical.

> > >

> > > STEP 3: Here's the important part. As you swing down, concentrate on returning your left shoulder to its starting position. I don't care how you do it — just do it.

> > >

> > > Returning your left shoulder at impact to its address position does two things: First, it gives you clean contact, allowing you to trap the ball between the turf and the clubface. Second, it stops you from "hanging back" on your right side, or doing what I call the "sway and stay." Swaying and staying is a high-handicap move that produces slices and hooks in equal amounts.

> > >

> > > Here's a helpful hint for the all-important Step 3. Picture a knife pointed at the outside of your left shoulder at address. Don't overdo the move to the point where the Knife plunges deep into your shoulder — just do it enough to feel a little puncture. In other words, cut your shoulder, not the ball.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > Respectfully...your profile says you're a 17 and you feel bad for those who struggle with swing mechanics? Are you a 17 who DOESN'T struggle with swing mechanics?

>

> You edited out the part that said "from Johnny Miller" (unless that wasn't there originally and OP added it later). That was Miller's quote, not OP's.

The OP was edited which is what led to the comment.

Left shoulder focus works well for me

I have used this tip and also stuff from Carl Lohren with great success. Index under 2 fwiw

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

> @oukeith said:

> I could see people getting into trouble by starting the swing with their shoulder, which will get them outside in.

Not for a body oriented release like Miller, they just drop the arms and it comes down the line.

If you have an arm swing i'd expect to see it go outside in.

Taylormade Stealth Plus Mitsu Kai'li White 70S
Taylormade SIM2 15  Tour AD DI 8S
Mizuno MP 20 3-PW ProjectX 6.0
Vokey SM7 54S and 60M
Cameron Newport 2 CT
Titleist ProV1x Left dash

> @cardoustie said:

> Left shoulder focus works well for me

> I have used this tip and also stuff from Carl Lohren with great success. Index under 2 fwiw

Same here, when my game goes off the rails, it is usually due to tempo, (rushing from the top), or a rear shoulder dip causing an under plane swing that is too shallow and too much in to out. This shoulder move helps steepen my down swing and also helps me get back to my left side. I've never suffered from slow hips, so the focus on the upper body tends to catch me up to my hips if that makes sense. My index is also under 2.

• Like 1

> @DavePelz4 said:

> > @Girevik said:

> > > @DavePelz4 said:

> > > > @platgof said:

> > > > I feel sorry for players who struggle with swing mechanics — they never get to enjoy the game to its fullest. Sure, playing golf is fun even when you're not hitting it great, but imagine the thrill of maneuvering the ball into perfect position on every swing and not worrying about the next big miss. I assure you, it's magic.

> > > >

> > > > Even if you have more than a few things wrong with your technique, I'll bet I can solve a bunch of them with one easy tip. I have dozens of fixes, and this one is near the top of the list. I've seen it work on golfers of all levels, from high-handicappers with chronic slices to the pros I played against. Heck, I use it when my own swing falls off track. It's about positioning your left shoulder so that you catch the ball first and the ground second when swinging an iron.

> > > >

> > > > Here's how it works.

> > > >

> > > > STEP 1: Take your normal address. Note the position of your left shoulder and burn it into your mind's eye.

> > > >

> > > > STEP 2: Swing the club back. Regardless of whether you make a big or little turn, or a wide or narrow arm swing, your left shoulder will move out of the position it was in at setup — and this shoulder movement is perfectly okay. Ideally, your shoulder should move under your chin, but that's not critical.

> > > >

> > > > STEP 3: Here's the important part. As you swing down, concentrate on returning your left shoulder to its starting position. I don't care how you do it — just do it.

> > > >

> > > > Returning your left shoulder at impact to its address position does two things: First, it gives you clean contact, allowing you to trap the ball between the turf and the clubface. Second, it stops you from "hanging back" on your right side, or doing what I call the "sway and stay." Swaying and staying is a high-handicap move that produces slices and hooks in equal amounts.

> > > >

> > > > Here's a helpful hint for the all-important Step 3. Picture a knife pointed at the outside of your left shoulder at address. Don't overdo the move to the point where the Knife plunges deep into your shoulder — just do it enough to feel a little puncture. In other words, cut your shoulder, not the ball.

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > Respectfully...your profile says you're a 17 and you feel bad for those who struggle with swing mechanics? Are you a 17 who DOESN'T struggle with swing mechanics?

> >

> > You edited out the part that said "from Johnny Miller" (unless that wasn't there originally and OP added it later). That was Miller's quote, not OP's.

>

> The OP was edited which is what led to the comment.

Sorry guys, I added; from Johnny Miller when people thought it was my quote, I wish!

Bag is in overhaul mode

I came across Miller’s idea a couple of years ago. It really helps me. I use Ballard swing principles, and when you hang back with this method it is fatal. There is no way I can hang back by returning my lead shoulder to the address position. Also, returning the shoulder is a thought and feel that comes pretty easily to me. What I really like is that Miller’s idea isn’t something that I add to, or change from, my swing principles - it reinforces them, it helps me do them right. It fits.