Johnny Miller Best Tip Ever

platgof ·  
platgofplatgof platgofClubWRX  2061WRX Points: 302Handicap: 17Posts: 2,061 ClubWRX

Johnnies tip about the left shoulder was just what I needed. I had more greens in regulation today because of that tip. Just one amazing iron shot after another. I just can't think him enough for this tip. Your awesome Mr.Miller!!!!!

Posted:

Ping GMax 10.5
Cobra F9 5 & 7 Wd
Callaway OS 5 & 6 Hybrid
Ping G 700 6-Aw
SM7 50 F, 56 F & 58* D
Toulon Columbus
ERC
Garmin S20
Clubs this week

Comments

• burritos4breakfastburritos4breakfast hawai'iMembers  325WRX Points: 109Posts: 325 Greens

whats the tip

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • DivdevilDivdevil Members  54WRX Points: 51Posts: 54 Bunkers

Link?

Posted:
  • BuzzkillBuzzkill Marshals  7170WRX Points: 564Handicap: 3Posts: 7,170 Marshals

On -, @platgof said:

Johnnies tip about the left shoulder was just what I needed. I had more greens in regulation today because of that tip. Just one amazing iron shot after another. I just can't think him enough for this tip. Your awesome Mr.Miller!!!!!

This?

Posted:
    Baggin' Cobras
    Handicap:  3

• platgofplatgof platgof ClubWRX  2061WRX Points: 302Handicap: 17Posts: 2,061 ClubWRX

thanks buzzkill

Posted:

Ping GMax 10.5
    Cobra F9 5 & 7 Wd
    Callaway OS 5 & 6 Hybrid
    Ping G 700 6-Aw
    SM7 50 F, 56 F & 58* D
    Toulon Columbus
    ERC
    Garmin S20
    Clubs this week

Advertisement
  • carreracarrera Northern CaliforniaMembers  2647WRX Points: 192Posts: 2,647 Titanium Tees

That thought would seem to promote shifting the upper body (too far) forward on the downswing.

Posted:
    Cobra F9 Tour Length - Hzrdus Smoke 70 stiff
    Cobra F9 14.5 - Atmos Blue Stiff
    Callaway Epic Hybrid - Recoil 780 stiff
    TM790 - Steelfiber R 4-UW
    Ping Glide 2,0 wedges 54SS/58ES  - Recoil 95 F3
    TM Spider Tour
    Srixon Z-Star
  • platgofplatgof platgof ClubWRX  2061WRX Points: 302Handicap: 17Posts: 2,061 ClubWRX

From Johnny Miller: I feel sorry for players who struggle with swing mechanics — they never get to enjoy the game to its fullest. Sure, playing golf is fun even when you're not hitting it great, but imagine the thrill of maneuvering the ball into perfect position on every swing and not worrying about the next big miss. I assure you, it's magic.

Even if you have more than a few things wrong with your technique, I'll bet I can solve a bunch of them with one easy tip. I have dozens of fixes, and this one is near the top of the list. I've seen it work on golfers of all levels, from high-handicappers with chronic slices to the pros I played against. Heck, I use it when my own swing falls off track. It's about positioning your left shoulder so that you catch the ball first and the ground second when swinging an iron.

Here's how it works.

STEP 1: Take your normal address. Note the position of your left shoulder and burn it into your mind's eye.

STEP 2: Swing the club back. Regardless of whether you make a big or little turn, or a wide or narrow arm swing, your left shoulder will move out of the position it was in at setup — and this shoulder movement is perfectly okay. Ideally, your shoulder should move under your chin, but that's not critical.

STEP 3: Here's the important part. As you swing down, concentrate on returning your left shoulder to its starting position. I don't care how you do it — just do it.

Returning your left shoulder at impact to its address position does two things: First, it gives you clean contact, allowing you to trap the ball between the turf and the clubface. Second, it stops you from "hanging back" on your right side, or doing what I call the "sway and stay." Swaying and staying is a high-handicap move that produces slices and hooks in equal amounts.

Here's a helpful hint for the all-important Step 3. Picture a knife pointed at the outside of your left shoulder at address. Don't overdo the move to the point where the Knife plunges deep into your shoulder — just do it enough to feel a little puncture. In other words, cut your shoulder, not the ball.

Posted:

Ping GMax 10.5
    Cobra F9 5 & 7 Wd
    Callaway OS 5 & 6 Hybrid
    Ping G 700 6-Aw
    SM7 50 F, 56 F & 58* D
    Toulon Columbus
    ERC
    Garmin S20
    Clubs this week

• DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area.ClubWRX  25400WRX Points: 2,557Handicap: 2 ManyPosts: 25,400 ClubWRX

I thought the tip was hit it 1 groove higher.

Posted:
  • DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area.ClubWRX  25400WRX Points: 2,557Handicap: 2 ManyPosts: 25,400 ClubWRX

On -, @platgof said:

I feel sorry for players who struggle with swing mechanics — they never get to enjoy the game to its fullest. Sure, playing golf is fun even when you're not hitting it great, but imagine the thrill of maneuvering the ball into perfect position on every swing and not worrying about the next big miss. I assure you, it's magic.

Even if you have more than a few things wrong with your technique, I'll bet I can solve a bunch of them with one easy tip. I have dozens of fixes, and this one is near the top of the list. I've seen it work on golfers of all levels, from high-handicappers with chronic slices to the pros I played against. Heck, I use it when my own swing falls off track. It's about positioning your left shoulder so that you catch the ball first and the ground second when swinging an iron.

Here's how it works.

STEP 1: Take your normal address. Note the position of your left shoulder and burn it into your mind's eye.

STEP 2: Swing the club back. Regardless of whether you make a big or little turn, or a wide or narrow arm swing, your left shoulder will move out of the position it was in at setup — and this shoulder movement is perfectly okay. Ideally, your shoulder should move under your chin, but that's not critical.

STEP 3: Here's the important part. As you swing down, concentrate on returning your left shoulder to its starting position. I don't care how you do it — just do it.

Returning your left shoulder at impact to its address position does two things: First, it gives you clean contact, allowing you to trap the ball between the turf and the clubface. Second, it stops you from "hanging back" on your right side, or doing what I call the "sway and stay." Swaying and staying is a high-handicap move that produces slices and hooks in equal amounts.

Here's a helpful hint for the all-important Step 3. Picture a knife pointed at the outside of your left shoulder at address. Don't overdo the move to the point where the Knife plunges deep into your shoulder — just do it enough to feel a little puncture. In other words, cut your shoulder, not the ball.

Respectfully...your profile says you're a 17 and you feel bad for those who struggle with swing mechanics? Are you a 17 who DOESN'T struggle with swing mechanics?

Posted:

no, it's the one above, my fault there

Posted:

Ping GMax 10.5
    Cobra F9 5 & 7 Wd
    Callaway OS 5 & 6 Hybrid
    Ping G 700 6-Aw
    SM7 50 F, 56 F & 58* D
    Toulon Columbus
    ERC
    Garmin S20
    Clubs this week

Advertisement

that is from Johnny Miller, of course I struggle!!

Posted:

Ping GMax 10.5
    Cobra F9 5 & 7 Wd
    Callaway OS 5 & 6 Hybrid
    Ping G 700 6-Aw
    SM7 50 F, 56 F & 58* D
    Toulon Columbus
    ERC
    Garmin S20
    Clubs this week

• juliette91juliette91 Members  1556WRX Points: 170Posts: 1,556 Platinum Tees

I'm glad you qualified the left shoulder under the chin tip from Miller with his actual words. This eliminates all the posts poking holes in that kind of tip. That said, the actual Miller tip seems complicated to implement. Watching your shoulder in your mind's eye while that mind's eye is loaded up with target visuals and perhaps other things seems to ask too much of that "eye".

But it's Miller talking here and I'd be very interested to hear from anyone who has tried to do what Miller advocates--other than the OP who for whatever reason has found W.O.O.D with this tip.

Posted:

From what i gathered he is talking about how people who quit on the swing and leave the left shoulder or the left side stuck in gear so to speak. He is advocating a reference point to help golfers to make sure they keep the body parts moving together and letting the left side finish it's job instead of getting "left behind." That's my take. You would be surprised how many do this, especially seniors. The topic mainly covers irons and that is why it helped me the most, my iron play. Cheers mate!

Posted:
    Post edited by platgof on

Ping GMax 10.5
    Cobra F9 5 & 7 Wd
    Callaway OS 5 & 6 Hybrid
    Ping G 700 6-Aw
    SM7 50 F, 56 F & 58* D
    Toulon Columbus
    ERC
    Garmin S20
    Clubs this week

• cpeckcpeck North new jerseyMembers  651WRX Points: 302Handicap: leftyPosts: 651 Golden Tee

if your wearing the back pack while doing this do you need sharpen the knife before hand so it goes through the strap? asking for a friend

Posted:

For your friend it is next to the ear.

Posted:

Ping GMax 10.5
    Cobra F9 5 & 7 Wd
    Callaway OS 5 & 6 Hybrid
    Ping G 700 6-Aw
    SM7 50 F, 56 F & 58* D
    Toulon Columbus
    ERC
    Garmin S20
    Clubs this week

Advertisement
  • GirevikGirevik Thrifty Scott Members  887WRX Points: 167Posts: 887 Golden Tee

On -, @DavePelz4 said:

On -, @platgof said:

I feel sorry for players who struggle with swing mechanics — they never get to enjoy the game to its fullest. Sure, playing golf is fun even when you're not hitting it great, but imagine the thrill of maneuvering the ball into perfect position on every swing and not worrying about the next big miss. I assure you, it's magic.

Here's how it works.

Respectfully...your profile says you're a 17 and you feel bad for those who struggle with swing mechanics? Are you a 17 who DOESN'T struggle with swing mechanics?

You edited out the part that said "from Johnny Miller" (unless that wasn't there originally and OP added it later). That was Miller's quote, not OP's.

Posted:
    Sto Pro Veritate
  • oukeithoukeith MichiganMembers  177WRX Points: 61Handicap: Mid-capperPosts: 177 Fairways

I could see people getting into trouble by starting the swing with their shoulder, which will get them outside in.

Posted:

On -, @Girevik said:

On -, @DavePelz4 said:

On -, @platgof said:

Here's how it works.

You edited out the part that said "from Johnny Miller" (unless that wasn't there originally and OP added it later). That was Miller's quote, not OP's.

The OP was edited which is what led to the comment.

Posted:
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Tasmania to CanadaMembers  13772WRX Points: 2,622Handicap: 0.9 >< 3.8Posts: 13,772 Titanium Tees

Left shoulder focus works well for me
    I have used this tip and also stuff from Carl Lohren with great success. Index under 2 fwiw

Posted:

Ping G400 LST 10.6* GD BB 7s
    Ping G400 3w 13.5* Oban Revenge 65x
    Ping G400 5w 16.5* Blueboard Ion 73x
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* GD Tour AD DI 95x
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* GD Tour AD DI 105x
    Ping Blueprint 6 - PW UST Recoil 110
    Vokey SM2 50-54tvd-59tvd-64 s400 onyx
    Piretti Matera Elite torched

• BottleCapBottleCap Members  1495WRX Points: 254Posts: 1,495 Platinum Tees

On -, @oukeith said:

I could see people getting into trouble by starting the swing with their shoulder, which will get them outside in.

Not for a body oriented release like Miller, they just drop the arms and it comes down the line.

If you have an arm swing i'd expect to see it go outside in.

Posted:
    Taylormade M5 Mitsubishi Kuro Kage XD 70 S
    Titleist 917 F3 GD TourAD IZ 8S
    Mizuno MP 69 3-PW DG S400
    Vokey SM7 54S and 60M
    Cameron Newport 2 CT
    Bridgestone Tour B XS

Advertisement
  • kowalgolfkowalgolf Members  217WRX Points: 51Handicap: 12Posts: 217 Fairways

I've used this in the past. Got it from Monte's D for D video. Separate left shoulder from chin to initiate DS.

Posted:
  • DShepleyDShepley Members  197WRX Points: 133Handicap: 2Posts: 197 Fairways

On -, @cardoustie said:

Left shoulder focus works well for me
    I have used this tip and also stuff from Carl Lohren with great success. Index under 2 fwiw

Same here, when my game goes off the rails, it is usually due to tempo, (rushing from the top), or a rear shoulder dip causing an under plane swing that is too shallow and too much in to out. This shoulder move helps steepen my down swing and also helps me get back to my left side. I've never suffered from slow hips, so the focus on the upper body tends to catch me up to my hips if that makes sense. My index is also under 2.

Posted:

Callaway Epic Sub Zero - Rogue Max 65 S

TM R15 3 Wood - Speeder Evo Tour Spec S

Srixon ZU85 18* - Recoil F4

Adams CMB (4-Gap) - KBS C-Taper S

Titleist Vokey SM7 54* & 58*

Rife Cayman Brac - Island Finish

• StanksStanks Everything I post is confrontational Members  1804WRX Points: 267Handicap: ?Posts: 1,804 Platinum Tees

Very solid tip from a rockstar of a player, Johnny Miller. Montes left shoulder out and down on the D for D and efficent swing series helps exponentially as well.

Posted:

On -, @DavePelz4 said:

On -, @Girevik said:

On -, @DavePelz4 said:

On -, @platgof said:

Here's how it works.

The OP was edited which is what led to the comment.

Sorry guys, I added; from Johnny Miller when people thought it was my quote, I wish!

Posted:

Ping GMax 10.5
    Cobra F9 5 & 7 Wd
    Callaway OS 5 & 6 Hybrid
    Ping G 700 6-Aw
    SM7 50 F, 56 F & 58* D
    Toulon Columbus
    ERC
    Garmin S20
    Clubs this week

• oukeithoukeith MichiganMembers  177WRX Points: 61Handicap: Mid-capperPosts: 177 Fairways

I found myself using this thought on the range yesterday. It’s actually a great mental picture to help you stay balanced and centered throughout the swing.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • musclefrontmusclefront Members  448WRX Points: 365Posts: 448 Greens

kind of similar to replace left shoulder with right shoulder feel on the downswing as well. whatever works!

Posted:
  • BarfolomewBarfolomew #worstWRXer Members  1924WRX Points: 403Posts: 1,924 Platinum Tees

oh crap what about my left shoulder?

Posted:
    G410 LST
    3 wood M2 HL
    OnOffOnAgain Kuros 4-P
    Cleveland Blob
    SeeMore Butts
  • torbilltorbill Members  425WRX Points: 285Posts: 425 Greens

I came across Miller’s idea a couple of years ago. It really helps me. I use Ballard swing principles, and when you hang back with this method it is fatal. There is no way I can hang back by returning my lead shoulder to the address position. Also, returning the shoulder is a thought and feel that comes pretty easily to me. What I really like is that Miller’s idea isn’t something that I add to, or change from, my swing principles - it reinforces them, it helps me do them right. It fits.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • PowderedToastManPowderedToastMan Members  4287WRX Points: 1,502Posts: 4,287 Titanium Tees

I think about my left shoulder in my swing usually when it feels like it’s dislocating. I don’t recommend that feel.

Posted:
    Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being. Reformed club ho.

In the bag:

PING. Lots of PING.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.