Getting back at it .. Ping g2, i3+ or i5?

GRJ_PINGGRJ_PING Members Posts: 12 ✭✭

Before I decide on going after a new or newer used set of irons I need a set to get me back in the groove. I’ve been off the course for over 6 years and I have a set of G2s and my dad has a set of i5s and i3+ in the garage. Which set of irons is the best get back on the course with? I figure I can play a few times a week over the next 3 months and grab a new set in the fall for a bday present to myself. I’m using my of rapture v2 driver, woods and hybrids.

Thanks!

Comments

• 3ack3ack SCMembers Posts: 123 ✭✭

Why not just take all 3 sets to the range, hit a few with each and see what feels best then go from there?

Hammer 6.5*
    GX7 12*
    Warrior Golf 3-PW
    Squarestrike UW
    Alien 56*
    Double Duty Putter
  • GRJ_PINGGRJ_PING Members Posts: 12 ✭✭

Duh - haha that’s a great idea. The G2 and i3+ Are regular flex and the i5 are stiff. Let em rip.

• cgasuckscgasucks Members Posts: 2,210 ✭✭

They're all great clubs. IMO the I3+ and I5 give out an extra edge. The I3+ were played by Scott Mccarron for the longest time, and D.A. Points still uses the I5s till this day (though heavily modified with less offset and legal grooves).

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft
    Titleist DCI 990 Irons (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold shafts in S300
    Taylormade ATV 54 deg & 58 deg wedges with stock KBS shafts
    Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts
    Ping Anser 2 Stainless Steel Putter

@cgasucks said:
    They're all great clubs. IMO the I3+ and I5 give out an extra edge. The I3+ were played by Scott Mccarron for the longest time, and D.A. Points still uses the I5s till this day (though heavily modified with less offset and legal grooves).

Thanks for the feedback- taking the i3+ out on a date tonight. I never really liked the G2 looks wise.

• CDLgolfCDLgolf Members Posts: 838 ✭✭

I played the i3+ for10 years. In my opinion they are a fantastic set if irons. Been using the ie1 since they came out but could easily play the i3+ again.

Cobra F8
    Ping G25 3 wood
    Ping G25 20 & 23 hybrid G30 26 hybrid
    Ping i e1 6- uw
    Ping Tour Gorge 56 & 60
    Odyssey

@CDLgolf said:
    I played the i3+ for10 years. In my opinion they are a fantastic set if irons. Been using the ie1 since they came out but could easily play the i3+ again.

I took them out to range - i3+ bring me back to my youth. I’m all in on the i3+ sending them to aping tomorrow am for new grips and a tumble. I never fell for the G2 at address and the i5s are nice at address but i3+ just felt better - maybe the cushion shafts have something to do with that.

• bamagolfbamagolf Members Posts: 178 ✭✭

I had the G2 back when. Very nice clubs. I can’t speak for the others since I never had those.

Ping G400 LST 10* (set at 9*)
    Ping G400 3W 14.5*
    Callaway XR OS 3H 19*
    Ping G410 4-LW
    TM Spider X 35"

@gbartwrx said:
    i5s all the way

i5 are nice but the long irons felt better and went farther on with the i3+’s.