GIVEAWAY: Vokey SM8 60* Wedge- ENTER HERE, PING Heppler Anser 2 Putter- ENTER HERE.

New TM p790 irons ???

Comments

• calogecaloge Members  471WRX Points: 93Posts: 471 Greens

On -, @fredstar said:

On -, @Davethegolfer said:

Ti review is up on Alex Etches -Golf Box reviews

Pointless reviews, has he ever said an iron or club sux? No because they are a retailer.

What a strange comment. Who's making bad clubs? Enjoy the review, and take from the numbers what you can.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • ShakespeareShakespeare Members  221WRX Points: 108Posts: 221 Fairways

On -, @hankmoody said:

On -, @TheMoneyShot said:

On -, @Laznasty said:

On -, @TheMoneyShot said:

Any reviews on the Ti version yet?

Thanks for posting this video!

Wow...the reviewer is swinging his 7i at 101 mph and getting 205 yards . That's what happens with a hot face and super fast swing I guess.

Sadly...I wouldnt know about the fast swing part.

Posted:
  • SwingBluesSwingBlues We are the Old Dark Navy Blues Members  3515WRX Points: 171Posts: 3,515 Titanium Tees

Love the YT reviews. The new P790s look great but not thrilled with the Ti, cannot see any reason to get personally. Right now, keeping my Gen 1, perhaps next year the new ones. Fantastic job with the Gen 2 in looks though, but performance wise, the Gen 1 was tough to beat in the first place... B)

Posted:
    Callaway Epic Flash SubZero 9*, Fujikura Ventus 6-S finished 44.5"
    Honma 737 13* 3 wood, Vizard A 50S shaft
    Honma 737 18* 5 wood, Vizard A 50S shaft
    Taylormade UDI 2 iron, 18* KBS C-Taper Lite

Taylormade P790 4-PW, Dynamic Gold 105 S300 with ProSoft inserts, Pure Wrap grips
    Ben Hogan 2018 Equalizer 48* and 52* Forged wedges
    Nike Engage Toe Sweep 56* wedge
    Directed Force Reno "2.05" (Presse IV tweaked) Putter with BGT Stability shaft

Ball: Srixon XV, 2019 Taylormade TP-5x
    Swing: PPGS, a Surgite !!!
  • fredstarfredstar Members  1345WRX Points: 271Handicap: 4Posts: 1,345 Platinum Tees

On -, @caloge said:

On -, @fredstar said:

On -, @Davethegolfer said:

Ti review is up on Alex Etches -Golf Box reviews

Pointless reviews, has he ever said an iron or club sux? No because they are a retailer.

What a strange comment. Who's making bad clubs? Enjoy the review, and take from the numbers what you can.

It's like a car dealer reviewing cars he is selling. Would Golfbox or Rick Shiels give a more honest review?

Posted:
    Nike Tour Premiere
    Nike TW13
    Jordan Flight Runner
    Ecco Biom Hybrid
    Nike TW14 Masters 
    Nike React Vapor 2
    Nike AM97

Sim Max driver
    M6 3, 5 woods
    Vokey SM7 wedges
    Scotty Fastback T22
  • JoeJoeJoeUrBoatJoeJoeJoeUrBoat Leamington OntarioMembers  887WRX Points: 179Handicap: 4.9Posts: 887 Golden Tee

When are these going to be out to demo at local retailers?

Posted:
    TS3 10.5 HZRDUS Smoke 6.0
    TS3 15 HZRDUS Smoke 6.0
    TS3 19 HZRDUS Smoke 6.0
    PXG Gen 3 0311p 3-PW DG120
    0311 Forged 52-56-60 DG120
    Rory McIlroy Scotty Cameron "RORS"
  • Stevens24Stevens24 Members  160WRX Points: 109Posts: 160 Fairways

SO if you listen to the podcast the taylor made guys say that with the tech and traditional lofts the ball height would be through the roof. Crossfield test the T200 and had the same height and similar spin(500 revs) to his club yet they were 12 yards longer. The lower CG and changed MOI require stronger loft to control height. Would you really want a 7 iron that goes 170 feet in the air on a normal shot??

Posted:

Advertisement
  • the bishopthe bishop Members  4010WRX Points: 1,012Posts: 4,010 Titanium Tees

On -, @Stevens24 said:

Would you really want a 7 iron that goes 170 feet in the air on a normal shot??

Not in Texas!

Posted:
    W/S Cortex 10.5*
    W/S C300 15*
    W/S C300 20*/23*
    W/S Staff Model 5-P
    W/S Staff Model 52/56/60
    W/S Bucktown
  • jacincmjacincm Members  60WRX Points: 65Posts: 60 Bunkers

Agreed^^
    I struggle with the longer irons because they are....well longer. If a P790 7 iron goes longer than say a P730 7 iron at the same length, then I'm all for it. I love my current P790s because my typical miss is thin and it is very very forgiving in that area. The ball flies shorter but it runs forever, ultimately making up for that lost distance.

Posted:

Yea...i only care about spin really...a 7 iron with the loft of a bladed 5 iron needs to spin at least 5000 rps or greater at my swing speed...if you swing it tour speed fast and it spins 5000 then i cant play them because my spin will be too low. So i will have to test them because weakening them to get more spin gets them too high ...usually for me. I guess they are not going to be for me...at least not yet

Posted:
  • EricWGolfEricWGolf Members  768WRX Points: 454Posts: 768 Golden Tee

On -, @Shakespeare said:

Yea...i only care about spin really...a 7 iron with the loft of a bladed 5 iron needs to spin at least 5000 rps or greater at my swing speed...if you swing it tour speed fast and it spins 5000 then i cant play them because my spin will be too low. So i will have to test them because weakening them to get more spin gets them too high ...usually for me. I guess they are not going to be for me...at least not yet

In modern head design, spin numbers aren’t as important as they once were thought to be. With multi-material heads like he P790, you can get high launch, peak height, and proper descent angle with lower spin.

Are focused on spin because you are concerned about launch, height, distance, or descent?

Posted:

Advertisement
  • cardia10cardia10 Members  2637WRX Points: 265Posts: 2,637 Titanium Tees

The TI is kind of like in 1994 or 1996 when Callaway did the BIg Bertha irons in the gold color. Didn't matter at all other than cost and cool factor. I don't see a problem with offering a premium option with a cost, because some people will pay it just t have it. Much like a Toyota Camry and a Lexus. looks pretty similar at 100 yards.

Posted:
  • jdang307jdang307 Members  210WRX Points: 46Posts: 210 Fairways

Just thinking but the TI isn’t a beautiful club or anything. Why not the m5 or m6. Unless you really want the somewhat consistent look.

Posted:

Has anyone shown monitor differences between the old and new yet? Wonder if TM put an embargo on them for a little?

Nothing wrong with the embargo as that’s good business. Just Surprised nobody did that I saw.

Posted:
  • BiggErnBiggErn Members  2913WRX Points: 785Posts: 2,913 Titanium Tees

On -, @jdang307 said:

Has anyone shown monitor differences between the old and new yet? Wonder if TM put an embargo on them for a little?

Nothing wrong with the embargo as that’s good business. Just Surprised nobody did that I saw.

The same people do the reviews every time. Just look at the review and the new one. Not much difference other than minor aesthetics.

Posted:
  • jay_dwightjay_dwight Members  543WRX Points: 160Handicap: .1Posts: 543 Golden Tee

Comparison pics of 790’s as well as with 760.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • TheMoneyShotTheMoneyShot ***FIGJAM/Twirl of Doom*** Members  32374WRX Points: 1,873Posts: 32,374 Titanium Tees

Really liking the looks of the newer version. Looking forward to seeing what the performance difference may be.

Posted:

On -, @EricWGolf said:

On -, @Shakespeare said:

In modern head design, spin numbers aren’t as important as they once were thought to be. With multi-material heads like he P790, you can get high launch, peak height, and proper descent angle with lower spin.

Are focused on spin because you are concerned about launch, height, distance, or descent?

Its more of a control thing....i dont play soft greens really...so ..lets say a 27 deg 5 iron spins 5200...if my 27.5 deg 7 iron spins lets say 4200 ..it would only work if i could hot it high enough to payoff. Guys with fast swing speeds could do it, but im afraid my launch window would be somewhere between the new 7iron and my old 5 iron,but spinning much less
    Kind of would defeat the purpose of the stronger lofts since i would probably weaken them. That being said..the pxg,s seem to spin pretty good for stronger lofted irons..so maybe its still worth testing.

Posted:
  • jll62jll62 MinneapolisClubWRX  2391WRX Points: 688Handicap: +2.2Posts: 2,391 ClubWRX

On -, @Shakespeare said:

On -, @EricWGolf said:

On -, @Shakespeare said:

Its more of a control thing....i dont play soft greens really...so ..lets say a 27 deg 5 iron spins 5200...if my 27.5 deg 7 iron spins lets say 4200 ..it would only work if i could hot it high enough to payoff. Guys with fast swing speeds could do it, but im afraid my launch window would be somewhere between the new 7iron and my old 5 iron,but spinning much less
    Kind of would defeat the purpose of the stronger lofts since i would probably weaken them. That being said..the pxg,s seem to spin pretty good for stronger lofted irons..so maybe its still worth testing.

It's a bit of a half-truth that spin is the key factor to stopping balls on greens. When you're dealing with mid and long irons, descent angle takes over in terms of importance. That's what Eric is trying to say.

Posted:
    TaylorMade M5 8.0, Diamana Kai'li 60S, 44.75"
    TaylorMade M5 Rocket 3, Tensei Blue X, 42.5"
    TaylorMade SIM Max Rescue 19, Fujikura Atmos Blue Tour Spec 8X Hybrid
    TaylorMade P790 3, Nippon Modus 130 stiff
    TaylorMade P750 4-PW, Nippon Modus 130 stiff
    TaylorMade MG2 52, DG S400 Tour Issue
    TaylorMade Hi-Toe 58, DG S400 Tour Issue
    TaylorMade Itsy Bitsy JDay Proto, 34"
    TaylorMade TP5

jll62's WITB
  • OspreyCIOspreyCI Valley of the SunMembers  5516WRX Points: 499Handicap: 10Posts: 5,516 Titanium Tees

I don’t see a difference....

Posted:
    PXG 0811x Gen2 smoke Yellow
    TM M4 15* AD DI 6S Black
    TM M2 #3 19* Fujikura
    PXG 0211 4-PW Modus 120S
    TM MG2 50* Modus 120S
    TM MG2 54*
    TM HT 60*
    PXG Gen2 Gunboat

On -, @jll62 said:

On -, @Shakespeare said:

On -, @EricWGolf said:

On -, @Shakespeare said:

Kind of would defeat the purpose of the stronger lofts since i would probably weaken them. That being said..the pxg,s seem to spin pretty good l >

On -, @jll62 said:

On -, @Shakespeare said:

On -, @EricWGolf said:

On -, @Shakespeare said:

It's a bit of a half-truth that spin is the key factor to stopping balls on greens. When you're dealing with mid and long irons, descent angle takes over in terms of importance. That's what Eric is trying to say.

Understood...but spin is more about stopping balls on greens...consistant spin is needed for consistancy in yardage...the law of diminishing returns would put me in a hybrid at 19 degrees before a iron at 19 degrees..only because a lack if swing speed at a certain point in the iron would negate decent angle stopping power. Like I said..these irons ( at least the ti version) are probably too strong lofted...at least fo me

Posted:

Advertisement
  • HifadeHifade Sleepin' on the job. Slacker! Dayton, OHCharter Members  5347WRX Points: 184Handicap: +3Posts: 5,347 Titanium Tees

shinier sole, lower magic goop port screw, more rounded topline and slightly smaller blade length

Posted:
    PING G410 LST 9* - "Tour Issue" ALTA RED "X" 
    PING G410 15* - MITZ TENSEI PRO ORANGE 70X
    PING G410 17* & 19* - MITZ TENSEI BLUE X & EF BLACK X
    TAYLORMADE BLACK P790's - SPECIAL, TOUR ISSUE, BLACK KBS TOUR V 125'S (HSx1)
    CALLAWAY PM2 54* X & 58* X - ORIGINAL PX Satin 5.5's (HSx1)
    ODYSSEY STROKE LAB EXO 7S - CUSTOM
    2017 BRIDGESTONE B330 Tour #1's & TITLEIST PRO V #1'X
  • gioguy21gioguy21 NJMembers  8165WRX Points: 1,386Handicap: +1.5 (1194646)Posts: 8,165 Titanium Tees

On -, @Hifade said:

shinier sole, lower magic goop port screw, more rounded topline and slightly smaller blade length

all that makes me want to hit these ...they would be awesome in long irons. i liked the P790 3i i had last year as a driving iron (still pissed i sold it!)

Posted:

Tour M3 460 / 10.1* (set -2*) / RIPx 65TX tipped 2" playing 44.25"
    Epic Flash SZ / 3+ (set -1/N) / HZRDUS Smoke Black 75g 6.5 tipped 2"
    Epic CF17 3i / Tensei PW Hybrid 100TX
    Apex MB Chrome / 3-PW / Modus 130 X
    MD4 Chrome / 52, 56, 60 / DG 115 S200 (for now)
    Piretti Tour 801R / 35.5"
    SC Futura X Broomstick Putter experiment

I wonder if that badge area is necessary (with the black indent around it). Without it the thing would **** near be blade looking from the outside.

Posted:
  • TrueWRXTrueWRX Members  2097WRX Points: 402Posts: 2,097 Platinum Tees

Old vs new

Posted:

• Golf64Golf64 Go Habs Go! Ontario, CanadaMembers  8482WRX Points: 488Handicap: ScotchPosts: 8,482 Titanium Tees

Got our fit cart in yesterday. Looks better vs. older one. Soft feel, but 'clicky'. Spin was low. 4,000 and about one club longer than my usual 7 iron. Some of the shafts come with VSS too.

Posted:
    Super Bowl LII Champions
    Fly Eagles Fly!

Advertisement
  • JoeJoeJoeUrBoatJoeJoeJoeUrBoat Leamington OntarioMembers  887WRX Points: 179Handicap: 4.9Posts: 887 Golden Tee

Is the stock offering DG105? I wonder what shafts you could get at no up-charge. I'm hoping MODUS 105 is one of them!

Posted:
    TS3 10.5 HZRDUS Smoke 6.0
    TS3 15 HZRDUS Smoke 6.0
    TS3 19 HZRDUS Smoke 6.0
    PXG Gen 3 0311p 3-PW DG120
    0311 Forged 52-56-60 DG120
    Rory McIlroy Scotty Cameron "RORS"
  • Lefty431Lefty431 Members  1145WRX Points: 140Posts: 1,145 Platinum Tees

I love original 790 in the 4-6 to go along with my 770 7-pw!! Perfect combo, but don’t know if it’ll be worth the upgrade for the new version

Posted:
    Driver: 9* Callaway Rogue sub zero w/ hzrdus yellow 6.5
    3w: 15* Callaway epic w/ aldila rogue 110 s flex
    Hybrid: 19* Mizuno Jpx 900 w/ fujikura s flex
    DI:  Adams dhy 21* w/ aldilla green S flex
    Irons: Mizuno mp 18 sc 5-pw w/ Nippon modus 3 120x
    Wedges: Vokey sm7 raw 50 F, 55 S, 60 M w/ dynamic gold black s400
    Putter: Scotty Cameron newport 3 w/ super stroke
  • SoloShot84SoloShot84 Members  491WRX Points: 208Posts: 491 Greens

On -, @jay_dwight said:

Man thank you for your pictures!
    can you post more in-depth comparison picture with P760 please?
    possiblely 4irons?
    I am on market for 4 iron to blend with my P760/P730 combo set

Posted:

Advertisement
  • jay_dwightjay_dwight Members  543WRX Points: 160Handicap: .1Posts: 543 Golden Tee

On -, @SoloShot84 said:

On -, @jay_dwight said:

Man thank you for your pictures!
    can you post more in-depth comparison picture with P760 please?
    possiblely 4irons?
    I am on market for 4 iron to blend with my P760/P730 combo set

I only have the 790 in 7 iron demo head.
    I have 790-760-730 combo set. The 790’s and 760’s blend VERY well.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.