New TM p790 irons ???

Comments

• calogecaloge Members Posts: 452 ✭✭✭✭

@fredstar said:

@Davethegolfer said:
    Ti review is up on Alex Etches -Golf Box reviews

Pointless reviews, has he ever said an iron or club sux? No because they are a retailer.

What a strange comment. Who's making bad clubs? Enjoy the review, and take from the numbers what you can.

• ShakespeareShakespeare Members Posts: 90 ✭✭✭

@hankmoody said:

@TheMoneyShot said:

@Laznasty said:

@TheMoneyShot said:
    Any reviews on the Ti version yet?

Thanks for posting this video!

Wow...the reviewer is swinging his 7i at 101 mph and getting 205 yards . That's what happens with a hot face and super fast swing I guess.

Sadly...I wouldnt know about the fast swing part.

• SwingBluesSwingBlues We are the Old Dark Navy Blues Members Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Love the YT reviews. The new P790s look great but not thrilled with the Ti, cannot see any reason to get personally. Right now, keeping my Gen 1, perhaps next year the new ones. Fantastic job with the Gen 2 in looks though, but performance wise, the Gen 1 was tough to beat in the first place... B)

Callaway Epic Flash SubZero 9*, Fujikura Ventus 6-S finished 44.5"
    Honma 737 13* 3 wood, Vizard A 50S shaft
    Honma 737 18* 5 wood, Vizard A 50S shaft
    Taylormade UDI 2 iron, 18* KBS C-Taper Lite

Taylormade P790 4-PW, Nippon Modus 3 105 with ProSoft inserts, Grip Master Perforated leather grips
    Ben Hogan 2018 Equalizer 48* and 52* Forged wedges
    Nike Engage Toe Sweep 56* wedge
    Directed Force Reno "2.05" with BGT Stability shaft (Presse V tweaked)

Ball: Srixon XV, 2019 Taylormade TP-5x
    Swing: PPGS, a Surgite !!!
  • fredstarfredstar Members Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@caloge said:

@fredstar said:

@Davethegolfer said:
    Ti review is up on Alex Etches -Golf Box reviews

Pointless reviews, has he ever said an iron or club sux? No because they are a retailer.

What a strange comment. Who's making bad clubs? Enjoy the review, and take from the numbers what you can.

It's like a car dealer reviewing cars he is selling. Would Golfbox or Rick Shiels give a more honest review?

Nike TW71 FF
    Nike TW13
    Nike Lunar Control 4
    Jordan Flight Runner
    Ecco Biom Hybrid
    Mizuno Wave GTX

Callaway Rogue Driver
    Callaway Rogue SZ 3 wood
    Srixon u45 20*, 23*
    Ping i200 Irons
    Ping Glide 50, 54, 58
    Odyssey RSX Milled Fang
  • JoeJoeJoeUrBoatJoeJoeJoeUrBoat Leamington OntarioMembers Posts: 781 ✭✭✭✭✭

When are these going to be out to demo at local retailers?

915 D2 10.5 Tour Ad Di 6s
    910 15 Diamana Whiteboard 
    P790 UDI
    Miura CB 501 4-PW PX 5.5 Rifle
    SM2 52, 56, 60
    Rory McIlroy Scotty Cameron
  • Stevens24Stevens24 Members Posts: 149 ✭✭✭

SO if you listen to the podcast the taylor made guys say that with the tech and traditional lofts the ball height would be through the roof. Crossfield test the T200 and had the same height and similar spin(500 revs) to his club yet they were 12 yards longer. The lower CG and changed MOI require stronger loft to control height. Would you really want a 7 iron that goes 170 feet in the air on a normal shot??

• the bishopthe bishop Members Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Stevens24 said:
    Would you really want a 7 iron that goes 170 feet in the air on a normal shot??

Not in Texas!

Dynacraft Avatar Evolution  V2 High Launch - S
    W/S C300 15* Fuji Speeder Pro - S
    W/S C300 20*/23* Fuji Speeder Pro - S
    W/S Fi5 5-P  DGS300
    W/S PMP 52/56/60  KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
    Scotty Newport Pro Platinum
  • jacincmjacincm Members Posts: 56 ✭✭

Agreed^^
    I struggle with the longer irons because they are....well longer. If a P790 7 iron goes longer than say a P730 7 iron at the same length, then I'm all for it. I love my current P790s because my typical miss is thin and it is very very forgiving in that area. The ball flies shorter but it runs forever, ultimately making up for that lost distance.

Yea...i only care about spin really...a 7 iron with the loft of a bladed 5 iron needs to spin at least 5000 rps or greater at my swing speed...if you swing it tour speed fast and it spins 5000 then i cant play them because my spin will be too low. So i will have to test them because weakening them to get more spin gets them too high ...usually for me. I guess they are not going to be for me...at least not yet

• EricWGolfEricWGolf Members Posts: 646 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Shakespeare said:
    Yea...i only care about spin really...a 7 iron with the loft of a bladed 5 iron needs to spin at least 5000 rps or greater at my swing speed...if you swing it tour speed fast and it spins 5000 then i cant play them because my spin will be too low. So i will have to test them because weakening them to get more spin gets them too high ...usually for me. I guess they are not going to be for me...at least not yet

In modern head design, spin numbers aren’t as important as they once were thought to be. With multi-material heads like he P790, you can get high launch, peak height, and proper descent angle with lower spin.

Are focused on spin because you are concerned about launch, height, distance, or descent?

• cardia10cardia10 Members Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

The TI is kind of like in 1994 or 1996 when Callaway did the BIg Bertha irons in the gold color. Didn't matter at all other than cost and cool factor. I don't see a problem with offering a premium option with a cost, because some people will pay it just t have it. Much like a Toyota Camry and a Lexus. looks pretty similar at 100 yards.

• jdang307jdang307 Members Posts: 179 ✭✭✭

Just thinking but the TI isn’t a beautiful club or anything. Why not the m5 or m6. Unless you really want the somewhat consistent look.

Has anyone shown monitor differences between the old and new yet? Wonder if TM put an embargo on them for a little?

Nothing wrong with the embargo as that’s good business. Just Surprised nobody did that I saw.

• BiggErnBiggErn Members Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@jdang307 said:
    Has anyone shown monitor differences between the old and new yet? Wonder if TM put an embargo on them for a little?

Nothing wrong with the embargo as that’s good business. Just Surprised nobody did that I saw.

The same people do the reviews every time. Just look at the review and the new one. Not much difference other than minor aesthetics.

• jay_dwightjay_dwight Members Posts: 525 ✭✭✭✭✭

Comparison pics of 790’s as well as with 760.

• TheMoneyShotTheMoneyShot ***FIGJAM/Twirl of Doom*** Members Posts: 31,005 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Really liking the looks of the newer version. Looking forward to seeing what the performance difference may be.

@EricWGolf said:

@Shakespeare said:

In modern head design, spin numbers aren’t as important as they once were thought to be. With multi-material heads like he P790, you can get high launch, peak height, and proper descent angle with lower spin.

Are focused on spin because you are concerned about launch, height, distance, or descent?

Its more of a control thing....i dont play soft greens really...so ..lets say a 27 deg 5 iron spins 5200...if my 27.5 deg 7 iron spins lets say 4200 ..it would only work if i could hot it high enough to payoff. Guys with fast swing speeds could do it, but im afraid my launch window would be somewhere between the new 7iron and my old 5 iron,but spinning much less
    Kind of would defeat the purpose of the stronger lofts since i would probably weaken them. That being said..the pxg,s seem to spin pretty good for stronger lofted irons..so maybe its still worth testing.

• jll62jll62 ClubWRX Posts: 2,147 ClubWRX

@Shakespeare said:

@EricWGolf said:

@Shakespeare said:

Its more of a control thing....i dont play soft greens really...so ..lets say a 27 deg 5 iron spins 5200...if my 27.5 deg 7 iron spins lets say 4200 ..it would only work if i could hot it high enough to payoff. Guys with fast swing speeds could do it, but im afraid my launch window would be somewhere between the new 7iron and my old 5 iron,but spinning much less
    Kind of would defeat the purpose of the stronger lofts since i would probably weaken them. That being said..the pxg,s seem to spin pretty good for stronger lofted irons..so maybe its still worth testing.

It's a bit of a half-truth that spin is the key factor to stopping balls on greens. When you're dealing with mid and long irons, descent angle takes over in terms of importance. That's what Eric is trying to say.

TaylorMade M5 9.0, Tensei Orange V2 70TX, 44.5"
    TaylorMade M2 T3 (2016 deep face), Graphite Design Purple Ice 85X, 42.5"
    TaylorMade P-790 UDI 2, Aerotech SteelFiber i95 S
    TaylorMade RSi TP 3-PW, KBS C-Taper S+
    TaylorMade Milled Grind 52 Raw, DG S400 Tour Issue
    TaylorMade Hi-Toe 58, DG S400 Tour Issue
    TaylorMade Black Copper Soto, 34"
    TaylorMade TP5

jll62's WITB
  • OspreyCIOspreyCI Valley of the SunMembers Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t see a difference....

PXG Gen2 0811x 10.5 Tensei Pro White 60s
    TM M2 15* Speeder 757 Evo TS
    TM M2 #3 19* Fujikura
    PXG 0211 4 Iron Elevate Tour
    TM P790 5-AW Modus 105
    TM MG 54*
    TM HI TOE 60*
    PXG Gen2 Gunboat

@jll62 said:

@Shakespeare said:

@EricWGolf said:

@Shakespeare said:

Kind of would defeat the purpose of the stronger lofts since i would probably weaken them. That being said..the pxg,s seem to spin pretty good l > @jll62 said:
    @Shakespeare said:

@EricWGolf said:

@Shakespeare said:

It's a bit of a half-truth that spin is the key factor to stopping balls on greens. When you're dealing with mid and long irons, descent angle takes over in terms of importance. That's what Eric is trying to say.

Understood...but spin is more about stopping balls on greens...consistant spin is needed for consistancy in yardage...the law of diminishing returns would put me in a hybrid at 19 degrees before a iron at 19 degrees..only because a lack if swing speed at a certain point in the iron would negate decent angle stopping power. Like I said..these irons ( at least the ti version) are probably too strong lofted...at least fo me

• HifadeHifade Sleepin' on the job. Slacker! Dayton, OHCharter Members Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

shinier sole, lower magic goop port screw, more rounded topline and slightly smaller blade length

PING G410 LST 9* - ALTA RED "X" 
    PING G410 15* - MITZ TENSEI PRO ORANGE 70S
    TITLEIST 20* 815 Hybrid - Fuji HB 8.8 Tour Spec
    TAYLORMADE BLACK P790's - SPECIAL, TOUR ISSUE, BLACK KBS TOUR V "S" (HSx1)
    CALLAWAY PM2 54* X & 58* X - ORIGINAL PX Satin 5.5's (HSx1)
    ODYSSEY STROKE LAB EXO 7S - CUSTOM
    2017 BRIDGESTONE B330 Tour #1's & TITLEIST PRO V #1's
  • gioguy21gioguy21 NJMembers Posts: 7,929 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Hifade said:
    shinier sole, lower magic goop port screw, more rounded topline and slightly smaller blade length

all that makes me want to hit these ...they would be awesome in long irons. i liked the P790 3i i had last year as a driving iron (still pissed i sold it!)

Epic Flash SZ / 9* (set N/S) / HZRDUS Smoke Green Hulk 60 6.5TX tipped 1.25"
    Epic Flash SZ / 3+ (set -1/N) / HZRDUS Smoke Black 75g 6.5 tipped 2"
    Epic Flash / 5 (set N/S) / BF 90TX Tipped 1.75"
    718 T-MB 2I / PX Flighted 7.0
    785 / 3-PW / PX 7.0
    RTX4 / 52, 59 / DG S400
    Piretti Tour 801R / 35.5"

I wonder if that badge area is necessary (with the black indent around it). Without it the thing would **** near be blade looking from the outside.

• TrueWRXTrueWRX Members Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
  • Golf64Golf64 Go Habs Go! Ontario, CanadaMembers Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Got our fit cart in yesterday. Looks better vs. older one. Soft feel, but 'clicky'. Spin was low. 4,000 and about one club longer than my usual 7 iron. Some of the shafts come with VSS too.

All Mizuno bag for this year.
    ST-190 Driver, 3/5 wood
    919F 4-pw, gw Nippon 105R
    S18 54, 60
    SC NP2
    Srixon Z Star(2019)

Super Bowl LII Champions
    Fly Eagles Fly!
  • JoeJoeJoeUrBoatJoeJoeJoeUrBoat Leamington OntarioMembers Posts: 781 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is the stock offering DG105? I wonder what shafts you could get at no up-charge. I'm hoping MODUS 105 is one of them!

915 D2 10.5 Tour Ad Di 6s
    910 15 Diamana Whiteboard 
    P790 UDI
    Miura CB 501 4-PW PX 5.5 Rifle
    SM2 52, 56, 60
    Rory McIlroy Scotty Cameron
  • Lefty431Lefty431 Members Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 15, 2019 2:45pm #599

I love original 790 in the 4-6 to go along with my 770 7-pw!! Perfect combo, but don’t know if it’ll be worth the upgrade for the new version

Driver: 9* Callaway Rogue sub zero w/ hzrdus yellow 6.5
    3w: 15* Callaway epic w/ aldila rogue 110 s flex
    Hybrid: 19* Mizuno Jpx 900 w/ fujikura s flex
    DI:  Adams dhy 21* w/ aldilla green S flex
    Irons: Mizuno mp 18 sc 5-pw w/ Nippon modus 3 120x
    Wedges: Vokey sm7 raw 50 F, 55 S, 60 M w/ dynamic gold black s400
    Putter: Scotty Cameron newport 3 w/ super stroke
  • SoloShot84SoloShot84 Members Posts: 409 ✭✭✭✭

@jay_dwight said:

Man thank you for your pictures!
    can you post more in-depth comparison picture with P760 please?
    possiblely 4irons?
    I am on market for 4 iron to blend with my P760/P730 combo set

• jay_dwightjay_dwight Members Posts: 525 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SoloShot84 said:

@jay_dwight said:

Man thank you for your pictures!
    can you post more in-depth comparison picture with P760 please?
    possiblely 4irons?
    I am on market for 4 iron to blend with my P760/P730 combo set

I only have the 790 in 7 iron demo head.
    I have 790-760-730 combo set. The 790’s and 760’s blend VERY well.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file