Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

New TM p790 irons ???

Comments

• ASN21ASN21 #TeamTaylorMade Bay AreaMembers Posts: 252 ✭✭✭✭

@AG12 said:
    What’s everyone’s set make up with the 1st and 2nd gen P790s? I have 4-PW and I had to replace my 21* hybrid with a 19* to fell the gaps between the 21* 4 iron and my 15* 3wood. Previous set went up to 5 iron and then 21* hybrid and then 15* 3 wood

2 GAPR's and 5-AW

TaylorMade M6 10.5 - Aldila Rogue Black
    TaylorMade M6 3 Wood - Aldila Rogue Silver
    TaylorMade GAPR HI 3 & 4 - KBS Hybrid
    TaylorMade P790 5-AW - Project X LZ
    TaylorMade Milled Grind HI-TOE 56 & 60 - KBS HI-REV 2.0
    TaylorMade My Spider X
    TaylorMade TP5/X

• gleunggleung Members Posts: 77 ✭✭✭

@AG12 said:
    What’s everyone’s set make up with the 1st and 2nd gen P790s? I have 4-PW and I had to replace my 21* hybrid with a 19* to fell the gaps between the 21* 4 iron and my 15* 3wood. Previous set went up to 5 iron and then 21* hybrid and then 15* 3 wood

GAPR Mid 3 iron
    4 - PW P790 (2nd gen)
    Vokey 52, 56, 60

• AG12AG12 Members Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@gleung said:

@AG12 said:

GAPR Mid 3 iron
    4 - PW P790 (2nd gen)
    Vokey 52, 56, 60

Cool ok. Im going to stick with my 19* hybrid in the bag then for gapping purposes

Titleist TS2 9.5* Tensei Pro White 60S
    Titleist TS2 15* Tensei Pro White 70S
    Titleist TS2 19* HZRDUS Smoke Black 80HY
    TaylorMade P790 '19 4-PW Project X LZ 120 
    Titleist SM7 50.12F/54.10S DG S200
    TaylorMade Hi-Toe 58*/ATV KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 
    TaylorMade Spider X Navy 
    Titleist ProV1x #27
    WITB
  • cmb71cmb71 ClubWRX Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@MrShield said:
    BTW, my numb> @BiggErn said:

@MrShield said:

@JoeJoeJoeUrBoat said:

@MrShield said:

@JoeJoeJoeUrBoat said:
    So the top line was thicker than you’d like on the shorter irons, how did they perform?

No, the topline on 2-7 was thicker then I like, but I can live with it. Results was amazing. But for 8-P it’s not only topline, it’s the entire head. They are beasts! Chunky to a new level I’ve never encountered before when the long clubs are so good (and good looking). Have you seen the P in person?

Yes, but only the 7 iron on a demo cart. Again, what I'm asking is how did the short irons perform? If the numbers were good I'm okay with them being a little thick.

Make sure you see 8-P before ordering. If I remember correctly you were also an AP2 718 user. The mass of P790 P is at least the double of AP2 718. P790 P makes AP1 P look slim :-)

I have the original 790s and they were almost identical in size compared to AP2s. The difference in topline was minute. Blade length pretty much identical. My MG wedge looks looks more “chunky” than my P790 set AW. It’s a hollow club designed for a wide array of golfers so it’s not gonna have the profile of a baby blade.

P790 same size as AP2 718? You can’t be serious? 😂

Have you hold an AP2 pitch next to P790 pitch? Can you seriously say they are the same size? 🤔🙄

Definitely not the same. However, the biggest difference is with respect to the sole width... from address position, it is not that big of a difference really. Groove area is similar though (new P790 might actually seem shorter in some ways), but the AP2 '18 toe area creeps out more to my eye (PW-PW comps). Top-line on PW vs PW is definitely thicker on (new) P790.

Have you compared these 2 side by side? Not trying to instigate, but I have both sets and they are not all that far off from address. You can really see the difference when looking at the clubs grip down.

TaylorMade M5 Tour 9* - MC Tensei Pro Orange V2 60 TX
    TaylorMade M5 15* - Fuji Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 7
    TaylorMade GAPR LO 2 Iron - Nippon Modus Tour 105
    TaylorMade P7-TW 3-PW - Nippon Modus Tour 105
    TaylorMade Milled Grind Raw 54* & 60* - Nippon Modus 115 Wedge
    Scotty Cameron Phantom X 6 STR
  • BiggErnBiggErn Members Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@MrShield said:

@MrShield said:

@JoeJoeJoeUrBoat said:

@MrShield said:

@JoeJoeJoeUrBoat said:
    So the top line was thicker than you’d like on the shorter irons, how did they perform?

No, the topline on 2-7 was thicker then I like, but I can live with it. Results was amazing. But for 8-P it’s not only topline, it’s the entire head. They are beasts! Chunky to a new level I’ve never encountered before when the long clubs are so good (and good looking). Have you seen the P in person?

Yes, but only the 7 iron on a demo cart. Again, what I'm asking is how did the short irons perform? If the numbers were good I'm okay with them being a little thick.

Make sure you see 8-P before ordering. If I remember correctly you were also an AP2 718 user. The mass of P790 P is at least the double of AP2 718. P790 P makes AP1 P look slim :-)

I have the original 790s and they were almost identical in size compared to AP2s. The difference in topline was minute. Blade length pretty much identical. My MG wedge looks looks more “chunky” than my P790 set AW. It’s a hollow club designed for a wide array of golfers so it’s not gonna have the profile of a baby blade.

Have you hold an AP2 pitch next to P790 pitch? Can you seriously say they are the same size? 🤔🙄

Like I said, blade length is pretty much identical and the topline is a hair thicker on the 790. If you don’t believe it then go look for yourself.

@AG12 said:

@gleung said:

@AG12 said:

GAPR Mid 3 iron
    4 - PW P790 (2nd gen)
    Vokey 52, 56, 60

Cool ok. Im going to stick with my 19* hybrid in the bag then for gapping purposes

P790 4 iron has a loft of 21 degrees, so I think a 19* hybrid will go well with it!

@gleung said:

@AG12 said:

@gleung said:

@AG12 said:

GAPR Mid 3 iron
    4 - PW P790 (2nd gen)
    Vokey 52, 56, 60

P790 4 iron has a loft of 21 degrees, so I think a 19* hybrid will go well with it!

Sweet thanks man appreciate it!

TaylorMade Spider X Navy 
    Titleist ProV1x #27
    WITB
  • MrShieldMrShield SwedenMembers Posts: 281 ✭✭✭✭
    edited Sep 4, 2019 1:21pm #789

@BiggErn said:

@MrShield said:

@MrShield said:

@JoeJoeJoeUrBoat said:

@MrShield said:

@JoeJoeJoeUrBoat said:

Like I said, blade length is pretty much identical and the topline is a hair thicker on the 790. If you don’t believe it then go look for yourself.

I own both AP2 718 and P790. There is no resemblance whatsover. Remember we’re talking about 8-P here and especially the P. Even the AP3 is clearly smaller than P790. Also the topline I clearly thinner even on AP3 than P790.
    And then I’m not even mentioning the sole which is like night and day on AP2 and P790.

Not sure how you can state they are the same size, it’s simply not true. Not even close.

Titleist TS3 9.5* Hzrdus Smoke 60 6.0
    Titleist TS2 16.5* Hzrdus Smoke 70 6.0
    Titleist 818 H1 21* Tour AD DI 105s
    Titleist 718 T-MB 3-iron Tour AD Driving Iron 95s
    Titleist 718 T-MB 4-iron Dynamic Gold AMT White Tour s400
    Titleist 718 AP2 5-P Dynamic Gold AMT White Tour s400
    Titleist SM6 52:08 F-grind Dynamic Gold AMT White Tour s400
    Titleist SM6 58:10 V-grind Dynamic Gold AMT White Tour s400
    Odyssey 7 White Hot Pro 34" SuperStroke GTR Tour
    Titleist Pro V1 2019
  • TrueWRXTrueWRX Members Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

TXG at 9:30 2017 P790s vs 2019

• JoeJoeJoeUrBoatJoeJoeJoeUrBoat Leamington OntarioMembers Posts: 825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Sep 4, 2019 1:31pm #791

On TXG's page right now waiting for it to start. I already know they're not going to find much differences in performance, but the looks will be more of a "players" looking club for those who don't like looking down on chunkier irons. Just like every other review out there, lol.

915 D2 10.5 Tour Ad Di 6s
    910 15 Diamana Whiteboard 
    P790 UDI
    2019 P790 4-PW Dg 105 S300
    SM7 48, 54, 60
    Rory McIlroy Scotty Cameron
  • TrueWRXTrueWRX Members Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeJoeJoeUrBoat said:
    On TXG's page right now waiting for it to start. I already know they're not going to find much differences in performance, but the looks will be more of a "players" looking club for those who don't like looking down on chunkier irons. Just like every other review out there, lol.

exactly what they said

edited Sep 4, 2019 2:38pm #793

@MrShield said:

@BiggErn said:

@MrShield said:

@MrShield said:

@JoeJoeJoeUrBoat said:

@MrShield said:

@JoeJoeJoeUrBoat said:

I own both AP2 718 and P790. There is no resemblance whatsover. Remember we’re talking about 8-P here and especially the P. Even the AP3 is clearly smaller than P790. Also the topline I clearly thinner even on AP3 than P790.
    And then I’m not even mentioning the sole which is like night and day on AP2 and P790.

Not sure how you can state they are the same size, it’s simply not true. Not even close.

I disagree. Sole width (and top line) are the differences, not much from address position. Edit: these are both PW. New P790 left, 718 AP2 right.

• BiggErnBiggErn Members Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Sep 4, 2019 4:21pm #794

@MrShield said:

@BiggErn said:

@MrShield said:

@MrShield said:

@JoeJoeJoeUrBoat said:

@MrShield said:

@JoeJoeJoeUrBoat said:

I only know what I see.

• GolfSwangGolfSwang Members Posts: 10 ✭✭

Have there been any sightings of these in Canadian golf shops yet? Demo heads? Besides TXG...

@GolfSwang said:
    Have there been any sightings of these in Canadian golf shops yet? Demo heads? Besides TXG...

Golf Town in BC has had the new P790 demo heads for a couple weeks now. In fact, I was fitted mid-August and my custom ordered set arrived Aug 28th (before their official on-sale date of Sep 6th).

• larciellarciel I play for eagle Members Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Any word on 50% bonus trade in offer for buying p790?

• fredstarfredstar Members Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Went to Cool Clubs today and got fit into these. Distance gain of 18 yards carry with 6i over my i200's. Feel great and seemed to suit me well.

Nike TW13
    Nike Lunar Control 4
    Jordan Flight Runner
    Ecco Biom Hybrid
    Mizuno Wave GTX
    Nike TW14 Masters 
    Nike React Vapor 2

Callaway Rogue Driver
    Callaway Rogue SZ 3 wood
    Srixon u45 20*, 23*
    Ping i200 Irons
    Vokey SM7 wedges
    TM TP Mullen putter
  • J9293J9293 Members Posts: 328 ✭✭✭✭

@fredstar said:
    Went to Cool Clubs today and got fit into these. Distance gain of 18 yards carry with 6i over my i200's. Feel great and seemed to suit me well.

You have an 18 yard distance gain because you hit a 5 iron loft on these new 790s compared to your 6 iron.

Driver: [font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Ping G400 Max - HZRDUS Yellow Handcrafted 6.0[/font]
    3 Wood:[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,] Ping G400 - Alta CB[/font]
    Hybrid:[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,] Ping G400 - Alta CB[/font]
    Irons: [font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Bridgestone J40 DPC - LZ 6.0[/font]
    Wedges:[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,] Callaway X-Forged - S300[/font]
    Putter:[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,] Scotty Cameron Red X5[/font]
    Ball:[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,] Titleist Pro V1x[/font]
  • JoeJoeJoeUrBoatJoeJoeJoeUrBoat Leamington OntarioMembers Posts: 825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Sep 5, 2019 1:50pm #800

@J9293 said:

@fredstar said:

You have an 18 yard distance gain because you hit a 5 iron loft on these new 790s compared to your 6 iron.

The captain has arrived!!!

Can we stop pretending people are unaware of the stronger lofts?

915 D2 10.5 Tour Ad Di 6s
    910 15 Diamana Whiteboard 
    P790 UDI
    2019 P790 4-PW Dg 105 S300
    SM7 48, 54, 60
    Rory McIlroy Scotty Cameron
  • macedanmacedan Members Posts: 371 ✭✭✭✭

@AG12 said:

I played 5-PW before with a 21* G Crossover. Since switching to P790's I know play 4-PW, and the top of my bag as remained consistent with 15* 3W and 18* 5W, although at a course length of 6,400 yards I find I use my 4i plenty and not much above it.

Ping G400 10*
    Mizuno ST180 3W 16*
    Taylormade Aeroburner 5W 18*
    Taylormade P790 (4-PW)
    Cleveland CBX 50/11
    Titleist Vokey SM5 54/10
    Cleveland RTX-3 58/9
    Taylormade Spider Tour Black
    Ball: K-Sig
    Bag: Pushcart - Maxfli Honors Carry - Taylormade Flextech Lite 
    Cart: TGW Players 

@macedan said:

@AG12 said:

I played 5-PW before with a 21* G Crossover. Since switching to P790's I know play 4-PW, and the top of my bag as remained consistent with 15* 3W and 18* 5W, although at a course length of 6,400 yards I find I use my 4i plenty and not much above it.

Thank you I actually went on a similator yesterday and found that the Driver, 3 wood (15) then 19 hybrid before my 4 iron. Perfect gapping

TaylorMade Spider X Navy 
    Titleist ProV1x #27
    WITB

@larciel said:

It would be great if TaylorMade offered something like this on their website. I know Callaway always does this for their big new drops and it definitely helps the price hit of buying something new.

TaylorMade My Spider X
    TaylorMade TP5/X

edited Sep 5, 2019 3:32pm #804

@ASN21 said:

@larciel said:

It would be great if TaylorMade offered something like this on their website. I know Callaway always does this for their big new drops and it definitely helps the price hit of buying something new.

They did late last year into early 2019. I got a great offer on my Ping i500's last February. It is not permanent though, so you need to check frequently or just sign up for their emails.

• jll62jll62 MinneapolisClubWRX Posts: 2,197 ClubWRX

@ASN21 said:

@larciel said:

They had a 150% trade-in offer for the M5/M6 launch. I don't think the 790 release is big enough.

TaylorMade M5 9.0, Tensei Orange V2 70TX, 44.5"
    TaylorMade M5 Rocket 3, Tensei Blue X, 42.5"
    TaylorMade P-790 UDI 2, Aerotech SteelFiber i95 S
    TaylorMade RSi TP 3-PW, KBS C-Taper S+
    TaylorMade Milled Grind 52 Raw, DG S400 Tour Issue
    TaylorMade Hi-Toe 58, DG S400 Tour Issue
    TaylorMade Black Copper Soto, 34"
    TaylorMade TP5

jll62's WITB

I should clarify my previous statement. I do recall seeing a bonus on their website in the past but I wish they did it more often for the higher end releases.

TaylorMade My Spider X
    TaylorMade TP5/X

• fredstarfredstar Members Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@J9293 said:

@fredstar said:

Thanks Einstein!

Nike TW13
    Nike Lunar Control 4
    Jordan Flight Runner
    Ecco Biom Hybrid
    Mizuno Wave GTX
    Nike TW14 Masters 
    Nike React Vapor 2

Callaway Rogue Driver
    Callaway Rogue SZ 3 wood
    Srixon u45 20*, 23*
    Ping i200 Irons
    Vokey SM7 wedges
    TM TP Mullen putter

No complaints so far with the new P790s. Love the feel and forgiveness these clubs offer and they look sweet in the bag and at address

TaylorMade Spider X Navy 
    Titleist ProV1x #27
    WITB
  • kush614kush614 Members Posts: 967 ✭✭✭✭✭

Irons arrived today and they are gorgeous! Went went the DG 105 black and it looks awesome. Coming from PXG 0211, I’m loving how much more compact these look at address. Can’t wait to hit them tomorrow!

• chriswchrisw Members Posts: 79 ✭✭✭

@GolfSwang said:

I know modern golf in Mississauga Ontario has them in for fittings

@kush614 said:
    Irons arrived today and they are gorgeous! Went went the DG 105 black and it looks awesome. Coming from PXG 0211, I’m loving how much more compact these look at address. Can’t wait to hit them tomorrow!

Post pics if you can would love to see them with the black shafts!

TaylorMade Spider X Navy 
    Titleist ProV1x #27
    WITB

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji