Building my bag for the season

MyherobobhopeMyherobobhope hey there, blimpy boy. Flying through the sky so fancy free.Members Posts: 2,105 ✭✭

I'm not sure anyone even wanders in here much, but I am going to lay this out (again) for myself, and hopefully update as pieces fall into place...
I am an 8 handicap with a 110+ mph swing speed... I'm currently gaming old clubs and slowly replacing them as money and opportunity come knocking. I play one course, and usually play it from the 2nd longest tees. (Hunting Creek CC in Louisville, KY - Par 72 6680 Yards 73.1 Rating 136 Slope)

On the par 5s, 1 requires either a 300 yard carry (don't have it in my bag yet) or a 250 yard shot to the bottom of a hill, and the other three require well positioned 280+ drives to hit in 2 where a miss doesn't kill my chances at birdie.

On the par 4s, 6 don't require me to hit driver but reward me with under 100 yards in on a good drive, 3 require driver to have a mid iron or less in to the green and 1 it makes 0 sense to hit driver on (I've done it, a 60 yard shot off an uphill lie isn't awesome).

So my goals for my bag are:
Driver - 280+... Need to find a driver I have more confidence in, and get my launch and spin down. That's a combination problem of swing and club.
Fairway Wood: I haven't figured out what I'm doing here. My plan is to go to a fitting and see how my dispersion changes at various lengths and lofts. 240+ straight will be the goal, but I'll want something I can still attack greens with from the fairway on the par 5s. Thinking it through, the right club could be tee shot, second shot on the three par 5s I can reach if I can get it to the correct line.
Driving Iron / Hybrid: Just got my first test run in on this for $50. 18 degree Adams with a ProForce V2 X-Stiff Hybrid shaft... If I can hit this bad mother and it stays down the way I want it to... it's going to be perfect on some of the shorter par 4s
Rescue / Punch Long Iron: I'm not sure if this is going to be a 4 iron, a hybrid or something else... Just something I can keep low and work the ball with. Mostly used to position myself for shot #3 on par 5s if I can't reach it.
5-PW: I got fit for these and just need the $ to finish the set... Mizuno Hot Metal Pros. I freaking love my PW in it... stupid money.
GW, SW, LW: I've already pulled the trigger on the 50 degree in vokey... Will buy Vokeys in 54 for sand / soft shots and 58 for tight lies and flops... My goal is to make these clubs best friends with my driver and give myself a good shot of birdie anytime I hit the ball past the 100 yard marker. That's obviously going to take some practice.

My goal this season is to get more fairways hit with driver, play smarter golf (which also means hitting driver less when it won't reward me) and get deadly from under 100 yards.

I want to use an aggressive swing to put myself into a good position to make birdie... I think if I can get that done, I'll significantly improve my scoring.

Current Bag (Rebuilding as of 5/6/19)
Driver: Adams Fast 12 LS with Matrix Black Tie (to be replaced)
3W: Adams Fast 12 with Excalibur (to be replaced)
Hybrid: Bridgestone j40 with Excalibur (to be replaced)
4-9: Taylor Made Oversize (to be replaced)
PW: Mizuon HMP with DG120 Stiff (5/6)
50 degree Vokey with DG120 Stiff (5/6)
56 and 60 degree Cleveland Wedges (to be replaced)
Odyssey Tank #7 (only club I'm keeping this season)