Golf Camps

leezer99leezer99 I swear I am quitting this site every day...Members Posts: 1,076 ✭✭

Anyone attending college golf camps this summer? For those that have attended in the past how did it go and was it worth while?

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

Tagged:

Comments

• kekoakekoa ClubWRX Posts: 8,908 ClubWRX

@leezer99 said:
    Anyone attending college golf camps this summer? For those that have attended in the past how did it go and was it worth while?

Attended one at ucla. It was fun for the kids to meet Devon Bling. Not really worth it unless you are a good 12-15 yr old though. IMO

• tiger1873tiger1873 Members Posts: 1,060 ✭✭
    edited Jun 13, 2019 12:19pm #3

We have attended a few and they vary a lot depending on the coach and school. My advice is stay away from top ranked schools for camps. They usually are a Mill have way too many kids and charge a lot. Honestly these ones are sort of a waste of time for juniors.

You are far better off to go to a smaller school where there are not many kids attending camps. You will be surprised at the personal attention your kid will get. These schools are also the ones that don't have kids falling all over to commit too. My daughter made a real connection with a few coaches this way and they took a genuine interest in her game. I also found my kid does better in school because they know they have to if they want to play golf in college.

Also to find the camps for smaller schools you need to reach out to the coaches and ask about camps there are not always advertised.

• leezer99leezer99 I swear I am quitting this site every day... Members Posts: 1,076 ✭✭

@tiger1873 said:
    We have attended a few and they vary a lot depending on the coach and school. My advice is stay away from top ranked schools for camps. They usually are a Mill have way too many kids and charge a lot. Honestly these ones are sort of a waste of time for juniors.

You are far better off to go to a smaller school where there are not many kids attending camps. You will be surprised at the personal attention your kid will get. These schools are also the ones that don't have kids falling all over to commit too. My daughter made a real connection with a few coaches this way and they took a genuine interest in her game. I also found my kid does better in school because they know they have to if they want to play golf in college.

Also to find the camps for smaller schools you need to reach out to the coaches and ask about camps there are not always advertised.

This is a great perspective and something I hadn't thought of.

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

• Golfingdawg19Golfingdawg19 Members Posts: 368 ✭✭

My daughter is 11 and I started looking into them this year. We will do one next summer when she is 12. Most of the bigger school seem to run their camps around 4 days and the cost is around $1000 if you are staying overnight.

• heavy_hitterheavy_hitter Members Posts: 3,105 ✭✭

My opinion is that if you are going to a college camp for instruction, you are going for the wrong reason. You send them to an overnight camp to teach them to grow up. You send them to start a relationship with the coaches at the school. They are going to camp to have fun and if they learn something while there then great. The kid needs to be old enough to get a gauge of where they fit in the the terms of collegiate golf as they are able to ask questions to the coaching staff.

edited Jun 13, 2019 1:48pm #7

@heavy_hitter said:
    My opinion is that if you are going to a college camp for instruction, you are going for the wrong reason. You send them to an overnight camp to teach them to grow up. You send them to start a relationship with the coaches at the school. They are going to camp to have fun and if they learn something while there then great. The kid needs to be old enough to get a gauge of where they fit in the the terms of collegiate golf as they are able to ask questions to the coaching staff.

I have to agree the camps are not for instructions or learn golf if you still trying to find a swing then these camps are not for you. I seen people put kids in these camps that have no business being there and the kids just goof off. Not a way to impress a coach.

For the serious golfers though they will still learn valuable stuff especially when it comes to competing at a higher level. Some kids will get more than others out of it. Camps are perfect time to figure out what kind of school and team you want to be on and a chance as parent to get to know the coach.

Also forget to mention smaller lower ranked schools (probably below 50) generally run less than $500 for camp and many times they have trouble actually filling them.

@tiger1873 said:

@heavy_hitter said:

I have to agree the camps are not for instructions or learn golf if you still trying to find a swing then these camps are not for you. I seen people put kids in these camps that have no business being there and the kids just goof off. Not a way to impress a coach.

For the serious golfers though they will still learn valuable stuff especially when it comes to competing at a higher level. Some kids will get more than others out of it. Camps are perfect time to figure out what kind of school and team you want to be on and a chance as parent to get to know the coach.

Also forget to mention smaller lower ranked schools (probably below 50) generally run less than $500 for camp and many times they have trouble actually filling them.

Colleges use them to get extra cash to their assistant coaches.

• JuniorGolfParentJuniorGolfParent Members Posts: 38 ✭✭

Is it fair to say that these college golf camps are like "try outs" to get the attention of college coaches? And if so, do they even look at the younger participants, since so much can change between now and when they would actually be on the coach's radar (14 or 15)?

@JuniorGolfParent said:
    Is it fair to say that these college golf camps are like "try outs" to get the attention of college coaches? And if so, do they even look at the younger participants, since so much can change between now and when they would actually be on the coach's radar (14 or 15)?

My daughter went to a camp at a major University on the woman's golf scene. Coach befriended her and helped her a lot in the recruiting process. She even recommended her going to a different school although she did give her a small offer to the school she was coaching. Coaches can be assets to help you get to where you want to go. I wouldn't call the camps try-outs.

@JuniorGolfParent said:

I would say they aren't like tryouts at all. The one day camp we attended had about 10 kids all under 11. The coach liked what he saw, but obviously didn't draft any commitment letters afterwards. The assistant coach was there and already has several HS guys on his radar for recruitment. The most valuable thing we go from it was the Q&A session where the parents were able to pick the coaches brain a bit about what he looks for and the best path to possibly get recruited. There was one kid there who was 14 and was pretty good, but I don't think anything panned out for him. Again, the one day camp was $295 and was fun, but probably wont do it again. I firmly believe that most camps are conducted primarily to make money and not as recruitment tool.

edited Jun 13, 2019 5:44pm #12

@kekoa said:

@JuniorGolfParent said:

I would say they aren't like tryouts at all. The one day camp we attended had about 10 kids all under 11. The coach liked what he saw, but obviously didn't draft any commitment letters afterwards. The assistant coach was there and already has several HS guys on his radar for recruitment. The most valuable thing we go from it was the Q&A session where the parents were able to pick the coaches brain a bit about what he looks for and the best path to possibly get recruited. There was one kid there who was 14 and was pretty good, but I don't think anything panned out for him. Again, the one day camp was $295 and was fun, but probably wont do it again. I firmly believe that most camps are conducted primarily to make money and not as recruitment tool.

I've heard UCLA , USC and Miami are camps to be avoided at all costs. They all just there to make money and it is a benefit for the coach being a top school. They after all don't really need to recruit that hard either for the best talent.

Going to a Camp in places such as Notre Dame or LSU or even Cal poly will yield a much better result there a little lower on the totem pole and have a hard time getting quality recruits. I learned in a lot cases they put on camps hoping some of the better or more promising local kids show up. These schools really put their best foot forward.

I learned from camps that top schools are not really the best place if you don't plan on becoming pro and want a education.

• iteachgolfiteachgolf Members Posts: 16,792 ✭✭

@tiger1873 said:

@kekoa said:

@JuniorGolfParent said:

I've heard UCLA , USC and Miami are camps to be avoided at all costs. They all just there to make money and it is a benefit for the coach being a top school. They after all don't really need to recruit that hard either for the best talent.

Going to a Camp in places such as Notre Dame or LSU or even Cal poly will yield a much better result there a little lower on the totem pole and have a hard time getting quality recruits. I learned in a lot cases they put on camps hoping some of the better or more promising local kids show up. These schools really put their best foot forward.

I learned from camps that top schools are not really the best place if you don't plan on becoming pro and want a education.

LSU and ND absolutely don’t need to hold camps to find recruits. They recruit nationally and go after highly ranked players. Plenty of the top golf programs are also at extremely good academic institutions.

@iteachgolf said:

@tiger1873 said:

@kekoa said:

@JuniorGolfParent said:

LSU and ND absolutely don’t need to hold camps to find recruits. They recruit nationally and go after highly ranked players. Plenty of the top golf programs are also at extremely good academic institutions.

ND struggles recruiting on the female side. Just saying.

@heavy_hitter said:

@iteachgolf said:

@tiger1873 said:

@kekoa said:

@JuniorGolfParent said:

Everyone struggles with girls. There’s not enough talent to go around. There’s the top programs and everyone else. I know the men’s coach and they recruit very well.

@iteachgolf said:

@heavy_hitter said:

@iteachgolf said:

@tiger1873 said:

@kekoa said:

@JuniorGolfParent said:

Everyone struggles with girls. There’s not enough talent to go around. There’s the top programs and everyone else. I know the men’s coach and they recruit very well.

I was talking about girls not boys. On the boys side they have plenty of recruits. Girls have a much better deal then boys when it comes to college.

@tiger1873 said:

@iteachgolf said:

@heavy_hitter said:

@iteachgolf said:

@tiger1873 said:

@kekoa said:

@JuniorGolfParent said:

I was talking about girls not boys. On the boys side they have plenty of recruits. Girls have a much better deal then boys when it comes to college.

Even with girls golf camps are as meaningful as any other camp you could attend that’s not golf related. If a girl is pretty good she’s gonna get looks and if she’s really good she will a ton of choices. The issue will be too many options, not too few. IMO time would be better spent working with their coach and playing an extra tournament than going to a camp

edited Jun 14, 2019 12:07am #18

@iteachgolf said:

@tiger1873 said:

@iteachgolf said:

@heavy_hitter said:

@iteachgolf said:

@tiger1873 said:

@kekoa said:

@JuniorGolfParent said:

Even with girls golf camps are as meaningful as any other camp you could attend that’s not golf related. If a girl is pretty good she’s gonna get looks and if she’s really good she will a ton of choices. The issue will be too many options, not too few. IMO time would be better spent working with their coach and playing an extra tournament than going to a camp

Going to a college camp is also about having fun and peeking into a program. We practice and do tournaments all the time this is a golf related break. It is also about finding the correct fit and showing my daughter that golf will open up doors off the course as well. I want her to focus on school and this helps keep her motivated to work hard in school.

The sad truth for girls is playing college and graduating is very important before turning pro. The reason I say that is unless your in the top 25% on the LPGA you not going to make as much as an average graduate. Seen far too many girls throw away their future because turned pro too soon.

Post edited by tiger1873 on
  • Golfingdawg19Golfingdawg19 Members Posts: 368 ✭✭

The reason I would do it would be for the social aspect of it and also for my daughter to have an experience away from being home. If it was all about golf, then I would definitely just spend that money with a coach.

• MetalfabMetalfab Members Posts: 77 ✭✭

We are from the same town and my kids play with Devon and his brother all the time when he’s in town from UCLA. Such an awesome kid

@kekoa said:

@leezer99 said:

Attended one at ucla. It was fun for the kids to meet Devon Bling. Not really worth it unless you are a good 12-15 yr old though. IMO

@Metalfab said:
    We are from the same town and my kids play with Devon and his brother all the time when he’s in town from UCLA. Such an awesome kid

@kekoa said:

@leezer99 said:

I agree. I can tell he is just an all around good kid. I wish he played a bit better at the US Open though. Wish him the best as he continues through UCLA and hopefully the PGA Tour.