MEMBER REVIEWS: TaylorMade MySpider X Putters! See What Members Are Saying!

7sxlpl3oq2k1.jpg

We want to say thank you to all the members who applied for the TaylorMade MySpider X Putter testing. We wish we could have selected everyone, but the testers are...

@toc

@nattybohknows

@Justmuckit

@sdcfan18

@"DFS PFD"

Make sure to ask any questions you might have on their reviews. We also want to give a big THANK YOU to TaylorMade for putting on this testing event!

CJPSignatureV3.png.c58dade69e39827f99ae02c309fb82e2.png

Instagram  |  iTunes  |  SoundCloud  |  Spotify | YouTube

Boy have I got a lot to say about this putter and the design process! But first:

91xk5aery9fa.jpeg

7o4j6j5g0c3y.jpeg

wihcuoc886g7.jpeg

9kx3r54nadl4.jpeg

So, minimal background: I really liked the original spider tour (red version) a couple of years ago. I found it incredible stable and easy to get putts started online, the only problem I had was the insert. I hated the lack of feel off the face and it was difficult for me to control distance. When I heard the Spider X was a little softer and lively, I tried it, loved it, and ordered one in my specs. I've been putting brilliantly with it and seriously considered ordering a MySpider X in a particular color scheme (UCF Knights!!!!) when lo and behold I'm a lucky winner of this giveaway!

**Order Process:**

I have nothing but positives to laud on the process itself. The design interface was smooth, it took only a few seconds to see my changes in picture form, and I was very impressed with how many individual aspects of the putter could be customized in a myriad of colors. There were two ordering options, though, that I found troublesome: 1. I would have preferred a single or triple dot alignment but that neither was offered, 2. The lack of specs that could be changed. The alignment issue isn't a huge deal, I went with the short line and I like it just fine. I would have liked to be able to change grips and alter loft/lie and that to me was a fairly significant downside. So much so that I would have a hard time paying for a custom putter that I can't fully customize. The colors are very cool and I enjoy having a truly unique putter, but being told to take a brand new custom putter to a local shop and pay for loft/lie adjustments would likely be a deal breaker for me.

**Performance:**

As I stated in another post on this thread, I intentionally went with a non-white (in this case silver) insert to test the whole surlyn/aluminum theory even though I much prefer the white surlyn insert. The silver insert is indeed aluminum and the spec sheet I received with the putter confirms this. The first few times I rolled the putter at home on a big moss and then once on the practice green at my club were less than impressive. I do not enjoy SuperStroke grips at all and the loft/lie being a little stronger/more upright than I'm used to just made the whole experience rather awkward. Setting up over the ball was just different enough to bother me, and the feel was too firm and kind of dead. Was my actual putting performance bad? No probably not; I still holed putts and rolled the ball on my intended lines (with a few pulls here and there). After putting on the practice green I decided I had given the SuperStroke enough of a chance and installed a regular sized pistol grip that I normally use. Bam, right there the feel improved dramatically. I could honestly use either insert interchangeably at this point. It could just be a comfort thing with a grip I'm used to, or maybe the grip itself changes the feel off the face. I have no clue, all I know is that once I changed the grip it was a night and day difference for me.

Unfortunately, I could not get used to the visual of the stock loft/lie. The regular Spider X I've been using is just a couple degrees weaker and flatter, but every putter I've had for the last 6-7 years have been the same specs so I think I'm just used to my hands being in a certain position and forward pressing a certain amount. Maybe it's all in my head, who knows? I did go back to my regular Spider X for some competitive rounds in the last few weeks and noticed an immediate boost in performance and confidence.

**Bottom Line:**

I'm so appreciative of both GolfWRX and TaylorMade for the chance to design and roll one of these putters. I'm a big fan of the Spider putters in general and being able to design a truly one-of-a-kind club with such a simple, streamlined web interface is so cool. For my money, though, I think having some grip model options as well as loft and lie customization would make the experience truly perfect for the consumer. I'll have the putter adjusted as soon as I find someone I trust enough not to screw it up and I'm sure it'll be back in my bag for years to come. Thanks for reading, let me know if I left anything out!

Glove: ML
Tees: 2 3/4
Towel: white
Repair tool: metal
Ball Marker: largest poker chip in the world
Iron headcovers: wait, what?

The feedback system is annoying

I will edit this post to add my review as my putter was just ordered Tuesday.

First I would like to thank WRX and Taylormade- the last time I won any type of contest was Junior year of highschool and I won tickets to a concert festival because I called the radio station at 11:30PM when I don't think alot of people were listening. True story I got pulled over by a cop driving home for speeding while on the phone with them (I had my provisional license and had to be home by midnight) and was trying to give them the vital information prior to the officer reaching my car window (this was pre-cell phone law) and secured the tickets and only a warning but I digress.

For the design process a few things went into factor- I have no sense of style, I have an aversion to going too bold, and I also found out a few years back after 30 years of life that I was significantly Deutan Color Deficient (red-green). My favorite color up until that point was green which apparently becomes an issue when the green I see is completely different from the green the rest of the world sees. Therefore, while my original design had green in it, I scrapped it for the blue. My golfing co-worker also tried to peer pressure me into a bunch of designs but I kept it relatively simple (but gave him the pink site line as a concession). I liked the DJ spiders but wanted a site line, I like the color blue, and i thought my bold gamble would be to carry the blue into the face which might backfire but I thought it might be another 18 years until I win a contest again so why not. I did not go with the true path alignment because the white to my eye would be distracting. I also have no depth perception in my left eye so the truth path and what I see are two totally different things.

As someone who never owned a spider and converted to a mallet a few years back (I went from hand me down Wilson blade to a Odysessy White Hot Pro 2.0 to a Newport 2 to a O Works 7s) I am really excited for the opportunity and hope it helps improve a generally weak area of my game.

Congrats to reviewers!

Driver: TaylorMade SIM MAX (10.5 degrees - set to 9.75 and 1.5 degrees open)

Shaft: Aldila Rogue 130 White 70 TX (at 45" and tipped 1")

3-wood: TaylorMade SIM (15 degrees)

Shaft: Aldila Rogue 130 Black 70 TX (at 43" and tipped 1")

UDI: *** Under Construction ***

Irons: TaylorMade P-7MC 4-PW (1 degree upright)

Shaft: Nippon Pro Modus3 Tour 120 X

Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zipcore Tour Rack (Raw) 52.10, 56.12 & 60.12

Shaft: Nippon Pro Modus3 Wedge 125

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Mid-Slant (at 34")

• 2 weeks later...

> @Justmuckit said:

> Be on the lookout guys. Received shipping notification from FedEx that I have something coming from China. Matches description of where other TM putters have been shipped from.

>

> QUAN SHENG MACHINERY IND CO. LTD

Just got the same notice, explains why there aren’t many adjustments available.

Glove: ML
Tees: 2 3/4
Towel: white
Repair tool: metal
Ball Marker: largest poker chip in the world
Iron headcovers: wait, what?

The feedback system is annoying

> @Justmuckit said:

> Be on the lookout guys. Received shipping notification from FedEx that I have something coming from China. Matches description of where other TM putters have been shipped from.

>

> QUAN SHENG MACHINERY IND CO. LTD

And...It's getting delivered the day I leave for vacation. Dammit.

You're crazy, FedEx. Two days from China to Memphis, then 3 days from Memphis to St. Louis - a four hour drive. Go figure.

> @Justmuckit said:

> > @Justmuckit said:

> > Be on the lookout guys. Received shipping notification from FedEx that I have something coming from China. Matches description of where other TM putters have been shipped from.

> >

> > QUAN SHENG MACHINERY IND CO. LTD

>

> And...It's getting delivered the day I leave for vacation. Dammit.

>

> You're crazy, FedEx. Two days from China to Memphis, then 3 days from Memphis to St. Louis - a four hour drive. Go figure.

And just got notification that it's on the truck for delivery today, two days early. Hope to get it on the course tomorrow, then I leave for Kohler/Sand Valley on Wednesday.

I am so jealous! These putters look great. I look forward to hearing the feedback.

Callaway Epic Flash 9 degree with Hzrdus Smoke 70 stiff
Callaway Epic Flash 5 wood (-1) with AD-TP 7S
Callaway Epic 3 and 4 hybrid with Graphite Design AD-DI 85S
Callaway X-Forged with Nippon Modus 105X 
Edel 51, 56, 60 wedges with KBS 610 stiff shafts
Scotty Cameron NP2
Ball: Titleist ProV1x

You guys who got something OTHER THAN the "white" insert, got the aluminum one, yes ?

And the guy (sdcfan ?) with the white insert got the Surlyn one ?

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

Absolutely loving mine, got a few match play rounds under the belt with it and have rolled the ball fairly well. My only gripe would be it is not as good as my red Spider for moderate to longer putts, I have struggled severely with getting the pace correct, I think that's because this putter feels much lighter than the OG. Still rolls the ball well and inside of 10' I feel like I'm going to make everything thanks to the alignment system.

d9wq0gsmf3g8.jpg

1aif2jm46jgv.jpg

It's VERY early in the process, but here's my initial thought:

Background: I have as close to a SBST stroke as you can get, so mallets like these are perfect for me. About two weeks before the winners were announced, I bought an Evnroll ER5 and have been putting lights-out with it. Also, I received the Spider 2 days before we left on vacation to play Whistling Straits and Sand Valley - so the testing I've done so far have been on greens that are NOTHING like what I play at home.

The biggest takeaway for me? This thing is TOO LIGHT. I need a heavier putter to help keep my stroke and tempo grooved. I like the way it looks, feels and sets up - until I have to draw the putter head back, then I'm a hot mess. I'm going to order the heavier weights for it and give it some time on the greens I'm used to playing and I'll report back.

Sorry for the delayed response in my review-

I took it out Tuesday for its test run at Whiskey Creek in MD on a course I've only played once before with a contractor's CEO and COO as part of my foursome so needless to say it was a risk.

Tale of the tape- Compared to my O-Works 7s it actually felt significantly heavier. I typically choke down on the O-Works a bit. Comparing the two-

O-Works-35" 350 Gram Head, 104 Gram SuperStroke Mid Slim 2.0 CounterCore Putter Grip

Spider-34.75" 355 Gram Head, 83 Gram SuperStroke GTR 1.0

Explains the swing weight definitely feeling heavier. I had a 2014 Newport 2 that felt similar in terms of weight.

For ordering the putter I went with the short slant model due to having no depth perception in my left eye and I have a pretty arcing putter swing. It is tough finding the right mallet that is not SBST.

First impressions-

Feel- In my putter transition from a blade (I had the WHP 2.0 originally), I have found that I don't like overly soft putters. Part of the reason I parted with the Newport was I learned milled putters felt mushy to me and I wanted something that felt quicker. Then I promptly got a 7s with the micro-hinge and it has a soft feel as well for me. While having the soft feel helped control the short putts I struggled badly with anything over 10 feet. And realistically, the super short putts I am taking a gimmie anyways. The Spider definitely felt firmer to me and it felt like it got out there quicker. Sound wise I didnt notice any clickiness or anything but I also dont really pay attention to sound during a round.

Visual- Having never played a spider, I thought the head would be larger then it was. I am not saying it is compact to the point of difficulty, but maybe past iterations and more of a oversized look to them or maybe my playing partners have always played the OS model. I liked the look of it and I really like how the paint job turned out. Being Maryland weather is absolute garbage year round between rain and humidity so we will see how the paint holds up and hopefully there is no flaking issues.

Overall- I really like the putter, it is still early in the process so I will report back after a few rounds.

PS- my round ended up being a disaster but it had nothing to do with my putting.

34 putts and 33 putts en route to shooting 74, 72 this weekend. Gonna try going the lead tape route to make this work for me better. I found on short putts I've struggled with keeping my stroke consistent with the weight of this putter (relative to normal) Normally average 29-31 putts/round so I'll keep tinkering with it and hopefully find the magic formula.

> @"DFS PFD" said:

> 34 putts and 33 putts en route to shooting 74, 72 this weekend. Gonna try going the lead tape route to make this work for me better. I found on short putts I've struggled with keeping my stroke consistent with the weight of this putter (relative to normal) Normally average 29-31 putts/round so I'll keep tinkering with it and hopefully find the magic formula.

Good to know I'm not the only one struggling with the weight.

I'm far from a club building expert, but comparing it to my Evnroll ER5 has confused the hell out of me.

Both are 35"

Both are 355g heads.

ER5 has a 117g grip

Spider has a 83g grip

Yet both of them measure E3 on the SW scale. But the ER5 feels MUCH heavier.

I was always lead to believe that the lighter the grip, the heavier the head would feel - but that's not the case here.

Thoughts?

> @Justmuckit said:

> > @"DFS PFD" said:

> > 34 putts and 33 putts en route to shooting 74, 72 this weekend. Gonna try going the lead tape route to make this work for me better. I found on short putts I've struggled with keeping my stroke consistent with the weight of this putter (relative to normal) Normally average 29-31 putts/round so I'll keep tinkering with it and hopefully find the magic formula.

>

> Good to know I'm not the only one struggling with the weight.

>

> I'm far from a club building expert, but comparing it to my Evnroll ER5 has confused the **** out of me.

>

> Both are 35"

> Both are 355g heads.

> ER5 has a 117g grip

> Spider has a 83g grip

>

> Yet both of them measure E3 on the SW scale. But the ER5 feels MUCH heavier.

>

> I was always lead to believe that the lighter the grip, the heavier the head would feel - but that's not the case here.

>

> Thoughts?

I have no experience with swing weighting clubs, I am shooting in the dark here so if you find the answer please fill me in as well!