2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Truckee / Tahoe courses

mizzyplayer

Last Saturday I played Coyote Moon and Old Greenwood. The greens at Old Greenwood were ok, but the greens at CM were slow and not rolling well. My morning round was interesting to say the least. I was paired up with three bachelor party bros that acted and talked like like they were on the tour and were all 25+ handicaps. These are the kind of guys whose egos will never allow them to be any good at golf.

The starter successfully persuaded them from playing the tips, but couldn't talk them off the blues. The worst of them (really bad but at least he joined me on the white tees) was dressed head to toe like Tiger and had the longest pre-shot routine I have ever seen. We had as much as two holes open in front of us and despite being told to speed up (the ranger knew I wasn't the problem) they just got slower. The funny thing is I found out later in the round the starter could tell these guys were going to be a problem and told the ranger to keep an eye on them. A good started just knows lol.

In order to make my 2:10 tee time at OG after the 9th hole I drove right to the 10th tee hit and took off. I do not like being rude, but the whole situation was ridiculous and the party bros were completely oblivious. I played 10-12 like a flash and the foursomes I caught up with were nice enough to let me play through. I ran into the starter again on the signature par 3 and he told me he was going back to have another talk with them. Took approx 2:45 to play the front and 1:15 to play the back lol.

I have the worst luck at Coyote Moon. OG is my favorite of the Tahoe courses I have played. I love Jack's courses that are geared toward putting the emphasis on shots into the green.

That sounds like a terrible way to spend time in Truckee. I once played a 3.5 hour 9 at Gray's crossing due to all the people. Turned around and played the empty front in 1.5 hours. I hate getting paired up with people that insist on playing the tips, and then proceed to hit it everywhere, and drag our rounds out by looking for there ball. It has gotten to the point where i just straight up ask them if they have considered playing from different tee's. I've gotten a few mixed responses, sometimes good and sometimes not so great.

A buddy and I just played Gray's on Saturday and it was really nice. The greens aren't quite there yet, still pretty grainy, but still rolled pretty well. We had a dream round as there was next to no one on the course, and we couldn't have had better weather.

I have avoided playing in Truckee when I go up there. I go out of my way to make the drive to play Grizzly Ranch or Whitehawk Ranch. I just feel like the courses are wonderful, pace of play is never an issue, and the price is right. Courses in Truckee area are great, but more and more I find myself avoiding them.

I have played Coyote Moon, Old Greenwood, Grays, and Incline Village and the only consistent problem I have had is at Coyote Moon. I do not know what it is about that place, but I find myself even standing in line longer than you should have to in pro shop.

I will amend this by saying the other consistent problem I have is reading the greens at Incline Village but that is my fault haha.

Have not played Whitehawk or Grizzly, but did play Bailey Creek last Labor Day weekend. Beautiful course and that Kentucky Blue grass rough is brutal when it is long!!!

Had my parents in town visiting so played the past few days. Grizzly ranch Thursday, Northstar yesterday, and Whitehawk today.

Whitehawk was in the best shape. I love that course! Wish I played it more often so I could read the greens better. Lots of teirs and undulations killed me with way too many (5 I think?) 3 putts. Pace of play was right at 4 hours on a Saturday.

Grizzly was about 50/50 Green conditions. Hard to judge lags since the 1/2 that were in good shape rolled true but the other 1/2 that were kinda grainy rolled at 3/4 speed. Overall good conditions and for $85 twilight you can't beat it.

Northstar took a beating over the winter. First time I've played there this season and its definately in the worst shape I've ever seen it. It's 5 minutes from my house so I play a fair amount (some years buy a season pass) there. Probably 1/3 of the greens are severely damaged and the rest are bumpy, punched, or sanded. Im going to give it till mid July before I give it another shot. Hopefully it recovers this season!

Have played quite a few early season rounds at Ponderosa and old brockway. Pondi greens have a good amount of ice damage but are finally starting to recover. Temp greens in place on 3 holes. Fairways are fine.

Brockway put in the work this winter with a snowblower keeping the greens clear of ice & snow. Probably the best shape I've seen them early season.

> @Eric267 said:

> Had my parents in town visiting so played the past few days. Grizzly ranch Thursday, Northstar yesterday, and Whitehawk today.

>

> Whitehawk was in the best shape. I love that course! Wish I played it more often so I could read the greens better. Lots of teirs and undulations killed me with way too many (5 I think?) 3 putts. Pace of play was right at 4 hours on a Saturday.

>

> Grizzly was about 50/50 Green conditions. Hard to judge lags since the 1/2 that were in good shape rolled true but the other 1/2 that were kinda grainy rolled at 3/4 speed. Overall good conditions and for $85 twilight you can't beat it.

>

> Northstar took a beating over the winter. First time I've played there this season and its definately in the worst shape I've ever seen it. It's 5 minutes from my house so I play a fair amount (some years buy a season pass) there. Probably 1/3 of the greens are severely damaged and the rest are bumpy, punched, or sanded. Im going to give it till mid July before I give it another shot. Hopefully it recovers this season!

>

> Have played quite a few early season rounds at Ponderosa and old brockway. Pondi greens have a good amount of ice damage but are finally starting to recover. Temp greens in place on 3 holes. Fairways are fine.

>

> Brockway put in the work this winter with a snowblower keeping the greens clear of ice & snow. Probably the best shape I've seen them early season.

Yeah you really can't beat Whitehawk, course is so playable for all skill levels and the conditioning is always top notch. I will say that you do need to put your ball on the correct section of those greens, many of them are like 3 greens in one and if you are not on the correct section 2 putting will be a challenge. I'm a little surprised that grizzly wasn't in better shape. I was up there in May and didn't seem to notice any putting issues with the greens, hopefully they didn't have any issues. Grizzly is more demanding than Whitehawk, but I feel like it's a bit more picturesque. Sounds like you had a great trip!

• 2 weeks later...

Considering going up there in August for the first time in 15 years. Never golfed up there. Only course I know is Edgewood, but I don't know if it's worth $280. Any challenging courses (5 handicap) around Tahoe would be appreciated.

917D2 - Diamana D+ 70

917F2 - Diamana D+ 80

818H1 - Tensei CK Blue 80

716 AP2 - S300

SM7 50.08F, 54.10S, 58.12K

Pro Platinum Newport '99 w/ SuperStoke GT Pistol

ProV1

Just want to try this: Schaffer's mill... hmm... Schaff - haffer. Weird and now it displays fully after not displaying the first time, OK it doesn't display again.

And while not played Truckee/Tahoe, have played Placer County and Grizzly Ranch is an excellent course.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

> @Dsevans8 said:

> > @Eric267 said:

> > Had my parents in town visiting so played the past few days. Grizzly ranch Thursday, Northstar yesterday, and Whitehawk today.

> >

> > Whitehawk was in the best shape. I love that course! Wish I played it more often so I could read the greens better. Lots of teirs and undulations killed me with way too many (5 I think?) 3 putts. Pace of play was right at 4 hours on a Saturday.

> >

> > Grizzly was about 50/50 Green conditions. Hard to judge lags since the 1/2 that were in good shape rolled true but the other 1/2 that were kinda grainy rolled at 3/4 speed. Overall good conditions and for $85 twilight you can't beat it.

> >

> > Northstar took a beating over the winter. First time I've played there this season and its definately in the worst shape I've ever seen it. It's 5 minutes from my house so I play a fair amount (some years buy a season pass) there. Probably 1/3 of the greens are severely damaged and the rest are bumpy, punched, or sanded. Im going to give it till mid July before I give it another shot. Hopefully it recovers this season!

> >

> > Have played quite a few early season rounds at Ponderosa and old brockway. Pondi greens have a good amount of ice damage but are finally starting to recover. Temp greens in place on 3 holes. Fairways are fine.

> >

> > Brockway put in the work this winter with a snowblower keeping the greens clear of ice & snow. Probably the best shape I've seen them early season.

>

> Yeah you really can't beat Whitehawk, course is so playable for all skill levels and the conditioning is always top notch. I will say that you do need to put your ball on the correct section of those greens, many of them are like 3 greens in one and if you are not on the correct section 2 putting will be a challenge. I'm a little surprised that grizzly wasn't in better shape. I was up there in May and didn't seem to notice any putting issues with the greens, hopefully they didn't have any issues. Grizzly is more demanding than Whitehawk, but I feel like it's a bit more picturesque. Sounds like you had a great trip!

I guess I could have put that statement about grizzly a little differently.. None of the greens were in bad condition by any means. More like half were in perfect summer condition and the other half ( good but slower) were still a little springy. Definately nothing went south since you went.

Exactly right about Whitehawk basically being 3 greens in One on quite a few holes.. Really have to pay attention to the pin placement chart and be on the correct tier if you want to score well. Conditioning better than any of the public courses in Truckee (IMO) at 1/2 to 2/3 the $$$

> @DukeOfChinoHills said:

> Considering going up there in August for the first time in 15 years. Never golfed up there. Only course I know is Edgewood, but I don't know if it's worth $280. Any challenging courses (5 handicap) around Tahoe would be appreciated.

Edgewood is a great course but $280 is a little steep. I've only played it early/late season when it was around $125-150 which is totally worth it.

Weather you stay in North or South lake will have a pretty big impact on where you play. South lake has only Edgewood and Lake Tahoe muni with Incline championship being the next closest at about 40 min away. If you stay in North lake the options are much better and closer.

If it's your choice I would stay in Truckee or Kings Beach which puts you kind of in the middle of everything. From Truckee you can also make the 45 minute drive up to Plumas County for a few more options. There's a thread around where people list favorites in order if you want to do a search for it.

Truckee:

Coyote moon

TMC; Old greenwood/Greys crossing

Plumas:

Whitehawk

Grizzly ranch

The Dragon

If you have connections

Private:

Martis camp

Schafers mill (Monday public play)

Clear creek

Montreux

Northstar and Tahoe donner are both fun courses but both took a beating over the big winter and not sure if they will fully recover this season. Not quite in the same class as the others either. If you can only sneak in 9 one day Old Brockway is a fun course that's worth walking a twilight 9

• 2 weeks later...

> @Dsevans8 said:

> I have avoided playing in Truckee when I go up there. I go out of my way to make the drive to play Grizzly Ranch or Whitehawk Ranch. I just feel like the courses are wonderful, pace of play is never an issue, and the price is right. Courses in Truckee area are great, but more and more I find myself avoiding them.

I'm playing Grizzly and Whitehawk in early September for the first time. Hope conditions are good.

• Like 1

> @Roadking2003 said:

> > @Dsevans8 said:

> > I have avoided playing in Truckee when I go up there. I go out of my way to make the drive to play Grizzly Ranch or Whitehawk Ranch. I just feel like the courses are wonderful, pace of play is never an issue, and the price is right. Courses in Truckee area are great, but more and more I find myself avoiding them.

>

> I'm playing Grizzly and Whitehawk in early September for the first time. Hope conditions are good.

I think they should be excellent! I live close and usually go mid May and beginning of October to take advantage of their play all day specials. Courses are usually in great shape every time I'm up there. I think you will enjoy them.

• 3 weeks later...

@BUCKEYERBALL88 Glad to hear that you enjoyed your round at Grizzly! In general I am often impressed by the conditions of the course, considering it spends 5+ months under heavy snow. I noticed you said B- as far as design... Tell me about some of the things that you liked and didn't like. For me personally I don't know if I would rate the design any less than the B+ range, but I could be swayed to go lower or higher depending on what was brought to my attention. I would love to hear what you have to say, always love talking Grizzly Ranch!

> @Dsevans8 said:

> @BUCKEYERBALL88 Glad to hear that you enjoyed your round at Grizzly! In general I am often impressed by the conditions of the course, considering it spends 5+ months under heavy snow. I noticed you said B- as far as design... Tell me about some of the things that you liked and didn't like. For me personally I don't know if I would rate the design any less than the B+ range, but I could be swayed to go lower or higher depending on what was brought to my attention. I would love to hear what you have to say, always love talking Grizzly Ranch!

Actually the it is the consistent snow cover over the entire winter that contributes to the course being in such nice shape. The snow insulates the ground from exposure to wind chill and freezing rain which will mess up a golf course.

As a former New Englander I can tell you the winters where we had a lot cold weather, but not a lot of snow led to the courses being in tough shape with "winter burn" damage. Fortunately those kind of unusual winters didn't happen often. The last winter I remember like that before I moved to Cali the courses never recovered and were damaged all summer.

> @rbark11 said:

> > @Dsevans8 said:

> > > @rbark11 said:

> > > When does it typically start snowing in Tahoe? I’m gonna be heading up there in early December and would love to golf up there if possible

> >

> > Most courses will be closed by mid October. Unfortunately December is not golf season.

> I was afraid of that. Thanks

>

If you really want to play there is a good chance you could get out and play in the Reno area at that time of year, unless there is a freak storm

> @rbark11 said:

> > @Dsevans8 said:

> > > @rbark11 said:

> > > When does it typically start snowing in Tahoe? I’m gonna be heading up there in early December and would love to golf up there if possible

> >

> > Most courses will be closed by mid October. Unfortunately December is not golf season.

> I was afraid of that. Thanks

>

Courses near Sac will be open although the weather will probably be 50's and it may rain.

Has anyone had the opportunity to play Lahontan, Martis Camp, Schaffers Mill, or Clear Creek? Was wondering how you would rank those and their difficulty of getting on. I am fairly certain that I could get access to Martis Camp, but I'm afraid to know what it will cost me haha! Any info would be appreciated.

Schaeffers Mill - unless it has changed, has Monday access for NCGA members.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

> @Dsevans8 said:

> > @duffer987 said:

> > Schafers Mill - unless it has changed, has Monday access for NCGA members.

>

> Do you know the price by any chance?

No I don't, I never took up the offer, but would assume around $200?

I did a quick email check and it's been years since I've gotten a promotional email about it, so maybe it's not on anymore, I'd just check their site/drop 'em a quick mail to check.

F.T.

> @duffer987 said:

> > @Dsevans8 said:

> > > @duffer987 said:

> > > Schafers Mill - unless it has changed, has Monday access for NCGA members.

> >

> > Do you know the price by any chance?

>

> No I don't, I never took up the offer, but would assume around $200?

> I did a quick email check and it's been years since I've gotten a promotional email about it, so maybe it's not on anymore, I'd just check their site/drop 'em a quick mail to check.

Yeah I figured it would be about that much. I'll give them a call and see what they say.