Would you wanna use a tee on #7 at Pebble?

BarfolomewBarfolomew #worstWRXerMembers Posts: 1,401 ✭✭

Seems strange the pros use a tee when hitting wedge. When a pro is a 100 yards out sittin perfectly in the fairway would they want to tee that shot up if allowed? I wouldn't think so as they pure that shot so often and the tee seems to change the distance/height/spin it comes off etc... So many are missing the 7th green long or left and very little wind right now and they know exactly how long it plays downhill so no excuse there... just seems if it were a fairway shot they would hit better. Tiger came up way short...

PLUS on the tee you can place the ball for a perfect lie vs fairway... What ya think?

G30 LST
3 wood M2 HL
OnOffOnAgain Kuros 4-P
Cleveland Blob
SeeMore Butts

Comments

• hoselpaloozahoselpalooza Members Posts: 78 ✭✭

aphibarnrat got it pretty close ;)

• SNIPERBBBSNIPERBBB Hit Ball Hard SE OhioMembers Posts: 2,509 ✭✭

Would feel too weird not using a tee off the tee box, so nope.

2016 M1 9.5 tuned to 7.5
    TM r15 3 wood
    Adams Idea Pro 2h/4h
    Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
    Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
    Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
    Vokey SM7 58* M Grind
  • rkodaveyrkodavey Members Posts: 111 ✭✭

In all my life, I've never seen a pro not use a tee on a tee shot, no matter how short the hole. The better question is why would they not tee it up? Why not give yourself a perfect lie for a given shot?

• MoonlightgrmMoonlightgrm Members Posts: 887 ✭✭

Lee Trevino said “If they let you use a tee, why wouldn’t you? Always tee it up.”

• lookylookitzadamlookylookitzadam Members Posts: 480 ✭✭

Some pros will tee up the wedge to hit it higher to take off spin or distance by hitting higher on the club face depending on the shot they are playing. Phil and Tiger did it on that odd par3 tiebreaker hole in "The Match".

@lookylookitzadam said:
    Some pros will tee up the wedge to hit it higher to take off spin or distance by hitting higher on the club face depending on the shot they are playing. Phil and Tiger did it on that odd par3 tiebreaker hole in "The Match".

speaking of phil, i recall him mentioning the tee adds 5y-10y in an episode of feherty.

• 2bGood2bGood Members Posts: 5,127 ✭✭

I always have on 7 at PB and all other par 3s

• oikos1oikos1 Members Posts: 2,297 ✭✭

Pros would use a tee from the fairway if they could

• Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Open Championship! IowaClubWRX Posts: 18,148 ClubWRX

@2bGood said:
    I always have on 7 at PB and all other par 3s

I hope to!

• BuzzkillBuzzkill Marshals Posts: 6,826 mod

@hoselpalooza said:

@lookylookitzadam said:

speaking of phil, i recall him mentioning the tee adds 5y-10y in an episode of feherty.

Definitely true for me.

WITVB (What's in the Vessel bag) - Cobra, Taylormade & Titleist
    Handicap:  3
  • sui generissui generis Members Posts: 3,954 ✭✭

I always do.

Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play a round of competitive golf.
  • JkinluvJkinluv Members Posts: 44 ✭✭

I always use a tee. I just find it amazing how inaccurate their shots have been. I drop this shot all day long on my local par 3. Minus the crowds and cameras of course.

@Jkinluv said:
    I drop this shot all day long on my local par 3. Minus the crowds and cameras of course.

how 'bout that wind, elevation change, green firmness, and green-side penalty areas/bunkers? ;)

• EdStrakerEdStraker Members Posts: 50 ✭✭

Somebody asked Ben Hogan why he used a tee for tee shots that he used a short iron. Ben's reply was something like "Because I can"

• skralyskraly ClubWRX Posts: 1,558 ClubWRX

Driver off of the deck with a high draw. Easy birdie.

• dan360dan360 Paisano Members Posts: 5,341 ✭✭

18 guarantees for a perfect lie.

WITB 7JUL2019
    • currently looking for a driver
    •  Cobra F9 3W HZRDUS Smoke — not sure yet
    • Adams CB3 4-G KBS Tour 90 molested in a thread here somewheres  (baby blades ready for when my swing catches up)
    • Callaway PM Grind 54/58
    • PING Anser 2 Jim Wells Tour Proto 36"
  • northgolfnorthgolf Pork Members Posts: 4,033 ✭✭

Would you want to drop your ball on the grass of the seventh tee and then watch your shot skip into the rough behind the green because enough grass got between your clubhead and the ball that you lost just enough spin for the shot not to drop and stop?

If I do this 11,548 more times, I will be having fun. - Zippy the Pinhead
  • shanker128shanker128 Members Posts: 217 ✭✭

@rkodavey said:
    In all my life, I've never seen a pro not use a tee on a tee shot, no matter how short the hole. The better question is why would they not tee it up? Why not give yourself a perfect lie for a given shot?

I sat in the 4 and 17 shared teebox grandstand last weekend and you'd be surprised at how many guys didn't use a tee on either. Most that didn't would smack the ground with their club to pop up a chunk of turf to use as a manmade grass tee, or place and step behind the ball to create a depression.

• iteachgolfiteachgolf Members Posts: 16,876 ✭✭

@rkodavey said:

It’s actually fairly common not to

@oikos1 said:

Not true for many of them

• BarfolomewBarfolomew #worstWRXer Members Posts: 1,401 ✭✭

^^^^ I do that too.... bump the ground with the back of my 3 wood.

I would consider hand placing a ball on a tour golf course tee a perfect lie...

G30 LST
    3 wood M2 HL
    OnOffOnAgain Kuros 4-P
    Cleveland Blob
    SeeMore Butts
  • TLUBulldogGolfTLUBulldogGolf Sasquatch Houston, TXMembers Posts: 2,445 ✭✭
    edited Jun 19, 2019 6:48pm #22

Playing off the tee boxes they play off of I would never use a tee other than longer irons (5+). My feeling is that's how I normally practice and am comfortable, especially with wedges.

Titleist 917 D3 9.5* Kiyoshi Black 65-05
    Titleist 917 F3 15* VA Composite Drago 75-X
    Titleist 818 H2 19* Tensei White 100-TX
    Mizuno JPX 900 Tour 3-PW PX 6.5
    Titleist Vokey SM6 Jet Black 54* S Grind PX 6.5
    Titleist Vokey SM6 Jet Black 60* M Grind X100
    Odyssey Works #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT
  • Man_O_WarMan_O_War Members Posts: 2,839 ✭✭

the tee is the perfect lie...

Cobra LTD PRO/LTD BLACK  Matrix F6M2/F7M3/Project X LZ 6.0 71g HC/ Fuji 661 III
    Cobra LTD 3/4 Kai'li 80
    Cobra LTD 4/5 Kai'li 80
    TM Mid_Rescue TP 22*
    Cobra Fly Z  Pro Irons Modus 120x SSx2 4-pw
    RTX 3.0 50, 54, 60 Modus 125
    Machine LN M6
  • Krt22Krt22 Members Posts: 7,023 ✭✭

@iteachgolf said:

@rkodavey said:

@oikos1 said:

Do they do it to keep spin up?

@Krt22 said:

@iteachgolf said:

@rkodavey said:

@oikos1 said:

Do they do it to keep spin up?

The ones that don’t tee it up do it more because that’s how they practice and hit every other shot. Their yardages are based on shots hit off the ground. It’s not like they are hitting off crab grass at a muni.

• Krt22Krt22 Members Posts: 7,023 ✭✭

That makes sense. I was curious if playing an iron off a tee has a similar impact on spin as does hitting off a mat vs grass.

@Krt22 said:
    That makes sense. I was curious if playing an iron off a tee has a similar impact on spin as does hitting off a mat vs grass.

It can if contact changes

• Redjeep83Redjeep83 Members Posts: 5,248 ✭✭

going to tournaments, I've seen some pros hit the ground to make a little bulge/hill to place the ball on for a tee shot with hybrid. Thought that was interesting, I've yet to try it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file