Bandon Itinerary and Qs

newg33b

Hey everyone! Was just getting that Monday morning Bandon itch and decided I should ask the group for feedback on my Bandon itinerary. I'm going in just about two months and I'm super excited. Here's the itinerary:

Day 1:

Fly into OTH, arriving in PM. Shuttle to Bandon Dunes. Range, Shorty's, PB (aka assorted "free" warm-up opportunities)

Day 2:

AM: Bandon Dunes

PM: Bandon Trails

Day 3:

AM: Pacific Dunes

PM: Old MacDonald

Day 4:

AM: Bandon Preserve

PM: Bandon Dunes

Day 5:

AM: nothing (sleep?)

PM: Fly out from OTH

A couple of comments:

- I'm going solo! Thanks to everyone in the solo thread for helping convince me to go on my own.

- I really tried to get Old MacDonald in the morning but as of now the itinerary just wouldn't permit it. My goals coming in were to play all four of the big courses at least once, play the Preserve, and then get one replay on whichever of the four worked out. My initial plan was: BD/BT, PD/BP, OM/Replay but the Preserve was booked solid my second day in the afternoon for some tournament so I had to audible. I went to Bandon 5 years ago in July and remember playing Old Mac in the afternoon as my 4th round in two days on the trip and it was the windiest round of my life. I felt kinda beat up afterwards and I don't think I had as good of an opinion of Old Mac as I might otherwise.

- I'll have a caddie for the last four big course rounds (all but Round 1 on BD) mostly for energy conservation and adding to the experience.

- I've thought about giving them a call back to see if I can move another big course to Day 4's morning instead of the Preserve and push the Preserve back to my departure day in the morning as something to do. Any thoughts on this?

Any additional comments/tips are welcome! They don't have to be itinerary related.

And I'll be sure to put together a new thread with a trip report when the trip actually rolls around. I really enjoy reading about everyone else's experiences and IMO it adds to the trip to vicariously begin it months in advance. Thanks!

Middle of August is going to be windy, whenever you play OM. But yeah, the afternoons tend to blow harder. Keep in mind that the course was designed to be played in the wind. Not to say that it isn't fun when you get one of those rare calm days, but managing the wind (even a 25-30 mph wind) is part of the test.

My only comment on the itinerary (which looks fine - as long as you can cover all five courses in one trip, everything else is gravy) is that if you are not used to walking 36 for multiple days, you can really feel like you've been beat on, especially if the wind is up. I've found it helpful to schedule an easier day on the day after the first 36 (Day 3 on your schedule). Playing 18 in the late morning lets you sleep in a bit, then you can add the Preserve, Shorty's or some easy range time in the afternoon. For some reason, the subsequent days of 36 don't bother me much. YMMV.

The Preserve only takes about an hour and a half to play, especially if you get out alone and there aren't a lot of people (afternoons and evenings are the busiest). That make sit an ideal candidate for one of those easier days, or for a departure morning.

One of the best things about going solo is your flexibility. Be open to adjusting your schedule to suit your needs. If you really enjoyed a course in the morning, consider getting a bite to eat and heading right back out on the same course, or play several shorter loops on more than one (once you pay for your replay round, anything else is free). Going out late in the afternoon, you have a good chance of going on your own. Playing one of those courses by yourself can be a near-mystical experience, especially if you end up on a seaside hole during sunset. Stretch out a bit in the afternoon/evening holes. Trim down your bag to half the clubs and play crazy knockdowns. Putt from 100 yards out. Try to hit bunt drivers on the par 3's. It's just golf - you can't break it.

Most of all, enjoy the solo trip; it's You Time.

And do post a trip report when you get back!

• Like 1

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

Looks like a good schedule to me for what you were able to book for. Would you be able to schedule a morning round on one of the big courses on Day 5 before you catch your plane? Like you said, instead of playing Preserve in the morning on your 4th day maybe playing it on one of the other days after 36 holes since the daylight is so much longer around this time of the year.

@spud3 thanks so much for the detailed comment! I definitely remember feeling a little beat up on that second day as we were going around Old Mac. I'll give them a call to see if availability's changed and switch a couple things around and maybe do Preserve the morning of the second day to give myself a little break. And the tip about doing non-traditional stuff is really good! I'll see what I can throw in that way.

@bird206 I was wondering about whether I could do something the last day. I think I've kinda changed my mind and will want to do something that morning. My flight leaves North Bend at like 2PM that day so I feel like I should be able to squeeze something in if I go out early enough. Thanks again!

How much time between rounds do you have each day? I know they set a minimum of 5 hrs between rounds, but daylight allowing, we've gone to 6 hrs between. It gives you a buffer for eating a sit down lunch. I think I'd even prefer longer, but since we never go during the longest days of the year, it's not an option. I'd love to have time to have a proper lunch, and even get back to the room for a change (possible shower), and maybe some light stretching/yoga. My bandon kryptonite has always been getting too stiff between rounds, which I believe would be alleviated by taking proper time to stretch and loosen up. But then again, I'm getting older and fatter, so that's probably not necessary for many people. :smile:

As a single you should have a some flexibility in your afternoon tee times and selection of courses. I would definitely plan to play on your departure day, especially since I believe they have full locker/shower access (at the Inn and the Lodge?).

G400 LST 8.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 14.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 19, 22, Tour 85 stiff
T100s, 5-gw, AMT White S200
Vokey, SM7, 54S, 58M
Never Compromise Portofino

@buzlin i think the days I'm playing 36 i have almost 7 hours between rounds. i'm going out real early in the morning and then have a 2PM-ish tee time in the afternoon on Day 2 and Day 3 (the two 36 hole days). I think when I went last time we had about 6 hours between rounds and I felt like that was good. We got lunch comfortably but didn't do too much aside of getting lunch and then going over to the next round. And I think the more I think about it, flying all the way there, I might as well play on the day of departure.

• Like 1

UPDATE:

I gave Bandon a call this afternoon based on some of the feedback and I was able to move around my itinerary. Here's what I have now:

Day 1: Still the same, arrival, Shorty's, etc.

Day 2: AM: Bandon Dunes PM: Bandon Trails

Day 3: AM: Bandon Preserve PM: Pacific Dunes

Day 4: AM: Old MacDonald PM: Bandon Dunes

Day 5: AM: Bandon Trails* (I wasn't able to book as early as I'd like and I was looking for Pacific but I booked it as a placeholder)

I was happy that I was able to find Old Mac in the morning. The reservations agent seemed to think it was a good move to switch Old Mac to the morning as well. Going forward, I'll keep checking to see if there's anything early on my departure day. Ideally I'd get to play Pacific again on the early side but I'll have to see what happens. Thanks for the advice so far!

Do keep calling back, especially right around that 30-day mark, as that's when the cancellations will be highest with the refund deadline, and also before the 21-day mark, which is when non-resort lodgers can make tee times. But make sure and ask after each round at the pro shop of whichever course you're finishing. They all have visibility into what's open on any of the courses. Adjust your afternoons accordingly. I never even make tee times for the afternoons when I go solo. I let the Golf Gods determine which course(s) I play.

As Buz mentioned, take advantage of the shower/locker room (main lodge, downstairs) on departure day. Before your last round when you're checking out, ask for a locker key and stash some clean clothes there for after the round. A long trip home is much worse when you're sweaty and smelly.

Can you get Pacific in the morning on Day 3 and preserve late in the day? My only “regret” with my trip is that we played Pacific only once (+ the 7 hole loop after the round) in the afternoon and it was crazy windy. I would have liked to play Pacific in the morning when it was less windy, at least on the 3 days I was on property. Regardless, you can’t go wrong and it will be awesome! Two months removed and I still day dream back to the trip and am trying to figure out when I can justify another one. Enjoy.

@spud3 good point about the 30-day mark. My plan is to check in every now and then going forward to see if there's anything I can tweak. And the shower point is good too! I didn't know they had something like that, but it doesn't surprise me.

@mallrat i'd be perfectly happy playing Trails a second time. I'm a huge fan of that course. It was more that it's late enough in the morning that it'd be a squeeze getting to the airport. I was really looking for as early as possible that morning.

@migolfke That would probably be my ideal change at this point. When I called in about a month ago to get the reservation booked in the first place, I remember the reservations agent saying something about a tournament (?) on the Preserve on my Day 3 that probably wouldn't allow me to go out that afternoon. Otherwise I think doing Pacific in the morning and Preserve in the afternoon would be my first choice! But I'll keep calling back to see if anything changes with that.

Itinerary looks great assuming you can get to the airport in time on day 5. I don't know if you plan on flying with your clubs or shipping them back, but if you have a tight time to make the flight I'm sure guest services would be willing to handle packing/shipping the clubs back to save some time if you prearrange it. For me that would be worth it to get the round on Trails. (I never play that one enough on my trips)

Take advantage of the big gap between morning and afternoon round for a soak in the hot tub between rounds. I'm gonna try this rather than a big lunch on my next trip. I've never left Bandon thinking "I played more than enough golf". (the hot tub plan directly contradicts my goal to sample a couple different lunches there from the food thread a while back. Guess I'll bring a magic 8ball.)

@Edaw68 yeah the squeeze on time to the airport is the only concern. I called back yesterday and they told me the same thing about the Preserve being booked solid on the afternoon of Day 3, so unfortunately I think I'll have to stick with Preserve in the morning and Pacific in the afternoon on that day. I think as of now I have an 8AM tee time on Trails and a 2PM flight out of North Bend. Never having flown into North Bend, I don't know exactly how far away from the resort it is/how much time I should allow myself. My assumption was it wouldn't be too long at the airport because it's a teeny airport from what I know, but who knows. I'd prefer a slightly earlier time just to give myself more cushion. And that's a good point about the hot tub! We didn't take advantage of it last time, maybe because we weren't staying in the Lodge (Lily Pond last time) and we only stayed on property one night. I think your point about "playing too much golf" is what made me book another round that morning. I doubt I'd look back and think "dang I should've played less." In the meantime I put myself on the waitlist for anything earlier on day 5 on either Trails or Pacific, so I'm hoping someone cancels and I can snag something a little earlier on either of those.

> @newg33b said:

> @Edaw68 yeah the squeeze on time to the airport is the only concern. I called back yesterday and they told me the same thing about the Preserve being booked solid on the afternoon of Day 3, so unfortunately I think I'll have to stick with Preserve in the morning and Pacific in the afternoon on that day. I think as of now I have an 8AM tee time on Trails and a 2PM flight out of North Bend. Never having flown into North Bend, I don't know exactly how far away from the resort it is/how much time I should allow myself. My assumption was it wouldn't be too long at the airport because it's a teeny airport from what I know, but who knows. I'd prefer a slightly earlier time just to give myself more cushion. And that's a good point about the hot tub! We didn't take advantage of it last time, maybe because we weren't staying in the Lodge (Lily Pond last time) and we only stayed on property one night. I think your point about "playing too much golf" is what made me book another round that morning. I doubt I'd look back and think "dang I should've played less." In the meantime I put myself on the waitlist for anything earlier on day 5 on either Trails or Pacific, so I'm hoping someone cancels and I can snag something a little earlier on either of those.

An 8AM round at Trails is gonna be pushing the time to make the flight pretty hard unfortunately. For 8 you'll be one of the pacesetter (4hour round) groups, so finish golf at noon. This is no guarantee as Trails tends to be the slowest round out there. If you have everything already packed and don't have to worry about clubs, figure you'll be driving away from the resort at 1215 at the earliest. That puts you at the airport at 1245 to 1. They say show up 90 minutes early on the airport website, but in my experience with small airports an hour is fine, maybe a touch less if no checked baggage. It's doable, but any one thing going wrong is a missed flight.

Ideas: Ship all your luggage back, clubs and whatever suitcase you're bringing, so you only have a carry one to save time at the airport. Check with guest services to see if they'll assist with that. Or try to get on any course on day 5, not just Pacific or Trails. As a single you might have more options. Even if those are your desired courses (I get it) it's not like Bandon or Old Mac are a bad round.

@Edaw68 yeah i don't think i can keep that round and really feel comfortable about getting to the airport on time. When I talked with the desk there was the option of doing Bandon earlier that morning. Maybe I'll take them up on that and try to switch my first round of the trip to one of the other courses. Some sources have said it's nice/preferable to start with Bandon but I guess I could mix it up to ensure I get that last day's round in.

> @newg33b said:

> @Edaw68 yeah i don't think i can keep that round and really feel comfortable about getting to the airport on time. When I talked with the desk there was the option of doing Bandon earlier that morning. Maybe I'll take them up on that and try to switch my first round of the trip to one of the other courses. Some sources have said it's nice/preferable to start with Bandon but I guess I could mix it up to ensure I get that last day's round in.

Playing Bandon first thing in the morning before you leave might be easier logistically since it's location is at the center of the resort. Quick access to locker room, stored baggage, etc.. I did that on my last day and it worked out well. Just try and pack everything the night before so you don't have to worry about all that the morning you leave.

A quick question for the group: I'd like to work the Preserve in somehow since I didn't play it on my first trip to Bandon. It looks like it'd work well as a possible quick round on day 5, but that means I wouldn't use it to break up day 3 for a little rest (assuming I only want to play it once). Would you guys rather use it to break up the trip in the middle or as something to do on day 5 if it feels like a full 18 might be a squeeze?

If it was me I'd take the early round on Bandon on day 5 and leave the Preserve where it is. As Bird said Bandon is easier logistically to pack and leave. Rounds tend to be quicker there than on Trails too, especially an early group. I think that would make getting to the flight fairly easy. I like the Preserve, but always use it as bonus golf when I can't do another full round. If I can one of the big courses I do that.

Since that would give you three rounds on Bandon, try changing the day 4 afternoon round to another one. Afternoon rounds are often easier to rearrange, especially as a single. It's probably even money you could change it while you're there as they can often slide singles in wherever.

^Agreed and you don't want to eff around with flights out of Coos Bay, it's not like a proper-sized airport where you can chop and change flights if you miss one or something gets canceled.

OP I am assuming you've already made/paid for things? Just asking, as flying out of Eugene usually makes fitting in a getaway day round a breeze. Regardless have a great trip!

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

@duffer987 i was able to use points to make the flight into North Bend free out of pocket so I think I'm gonna stick with that. Flying into North Bend also lets me not rent a car, which would've been an added expense (albeit a nice point of flexibility). I considered Portland and Eugene, but North Bend made the most sense for me this trip on a time/cost basis.

> @newg33b said:

> @duffer987 i was able to use points to make the flight into North Bend free out of pocket so I think I'm gonna stick with that. Flying into North Bend also lets me not rent a car, which would've been an added expense (albeit a nice point of flexibility). I considered Portland and Eugene, but North Bend made the most sense for me this trip on a time/cost basis.

Sure gotcha :-)

When we go we're coming from all corners, so makes the bigger stops a better option.

TBF who cares if you miss your flight leaving anyways, you can just go back to the resort and play more golf! Just don't miss the one coming in, ha.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

> @Edaw68 said:

> If it was me I'd take the early round on Bandon on day 5 and leave the Preserve where it is. As Bird said Bandon is easier logistically to pack and leave. Rounds tend to be quicker there than on Trails too, especially an early group. I think that would make getting to the flight fairly easy. I like the Preserve, but always use it as bonus golf when I can't do another full round. If I can one of the big courses I do that.

>

> Since that would give you three rounds on Bandon, try changing the day 4 afternoon round to another one. Afternoon rounds are often easier to rearrange, especially as a single. It's probably even money you could change it while you're there as they can often slide singles in wherever.

100% agree on this

Preserve is great, but I wouldn't miss a big course to play it, and once per trip is plenty.

One last update: made one more call and I think I'm good going forward! Obviously if I get there and want to play it by ear, that's a different thing but I think this'll be my finalized itinerary:

Day 1: Still arrival, shorty's, PB

Day 2: AM: Pacific Dunes PM: Bandon Trails

Day 3: AM: Preserve PM: Pacific Dunes

Day 4: AM: Old MacDonald PM: Bandon Dunes

Day 5: AM: Bandon Dunes

I got a second round on Pacific booked and this lets me get a morning and afternoon on both Pacific and Bandon. I have some rest in the middle with the morning Preserve round and should be early enough on day 5 for the flight to not be an issue. Thanks again for the advice! There'll definitely be a trip report coming once this rolls around.

• Like 1

Excited for you. I was there as a single in March and miss it so much. There are still nights I lie in bed and play Old Mac or PD in my mind. I’d echo the advice about giving yourself a break on the second 36 hole day. I found I was struggling to get through it and it basically made the following day a dud, when i limped through 18 and bailed on the afternoon. My single biggest tip is to get miles on your feet and legs now. It’s hard to simulate the 35k steps you’ll do a day, and it compounds, instead of gets easier. When I return I’ll be sure im in better shape and likely break up my days as 36-18-36. Preserve was closed when I was there but I found the day I bailed on the afternoon was fun just bouncing from pro shop to the next to shop, mess around at the practice area, sit and have a long relaxing lunch.

I know everyone has a different ranking but I would love to see you get another round at Pacific. I played it 3x and im certain that’s why I can still picture it so vividly vs BD which I barely remember. In March it was pretty full especially with a big college tournament but as a single I could basically call the shots on the fly, especially in the afternoons when people were bailing on second rounds.

Also agree 100% on finding a way out to the coast at sunset with a few clubs. Mystical, magical, existential, spiritual, whatever word you want to use, I think it applies.

Have a great time!

^He's playing it twice already. Each to their own and all that, but that's mental to suggest going 3-1-1-1 at a place where the quality of the courses is as even as Bandon.

F.T.

> @duffer987 said:

> ^He's playing it twice already. Each to their own and all that, but that's mental to suggest going 3-1-1-1 at a place where the quality of the courses is as even as Bandon.

Oh I missed the second PD. I wasn’t suggesting he play it three times, just that I did and I’m happy I did. I also played OM 3x because I loved it so much the first time I converted my second BD to a OM. Also had some adjustments due to times (short days hamstrung me a bit) and cutting back a couple afternoon rounds when I was really hurting.

^Yes agreed. Going in summer opens up a whole range of options those of us hitting the Nov-Mar teesheets sure don't have!

F.T.