GIVEAWAY: Odyssey Stroke Lab Rossie Putter - ENTER HERE, Vokey SM8 52* Wedge - ENTER HERE

The Open Championship at Royal Portrush GC/Dunluce Links - Shane Lowry is the 2019 Champion Golfer

Comments

• GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • imakaveliimakaveli Moli Moli Moli Moli Tommy Tommy Tommy Tommy... Members  13161WRX Points: 1,026Handicap: 3.8Posts: 13,161 Titanium Tees

When the "is it The Open or British Open" debate comes up on WRX it means the oldest Major is getting close! Yay!
    Just think the confusion when they realize this year "British" Open is held outside Great Britain :D

Posted:
  • i*windowsi*windows Members  2315WRX Points: 266Handicap: 12.3Posts: 2,315 Platinum Tees

On -, @BlackDiamondPar5 said:

On -, @i*windows said:

On -, @Darth Putter said:

Fun facts about the 1951 British Open

Fun Fact #1, it's called the Open, or the Open Championship https://www.theopen.com/about/

not to be pedantic or anything like that but it's "the Open". end of. if people cant understand then oh well.

Posted:
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Just hit the **** ball.[/font]
    TM R1
    Adams Tight lies 2 5w
    Cleveland Mashie 5h
    Nike Covert Forged 2, 6-PW
    Lynx Prowler VT 5-PW
    Cleveland 588 Tour Action 51*
    MD Golf Seve Sedona 58*
    Odyssey O-Works Jailbird Mini.

Advertisement
  • BlackDiamondPar5BlackDiamondPar5 Quitting WRX may be in my future... Members  5875WRX Points: 1,197Posts: 5,875 Titanium Tees

On -, @MountainGoat said:

The best part of the Open is that you can watch live golf while eating breakfast.

Agreed. I usually start listening via the app with earbuds around 4am as I doze before waking up.

Posted:
  • pmadden86pmadden86 Members  390WRX Points: 118Handicap: 6Posts: 390 Greens

Took them 130 years to realize they named it wrong as it sometimes gets played outside Britain despite the fact it was already played outside Britain in 1951.

Posted:
  • imakaveliimakaveli Moli Moli Moli Moli Tommy Tommy Tommy Tommy... Members  13161WRX Points: 1,026Handicap: 3.8Posts: 13,161 Titanium Tees

On -, @i*windows said:

On -, @i*windows said:

Fun Fact #1, it's called the Open, or the Open Championship https://www.theopen.com/about/

not to be pedantic or anything like that but it's "the Open". end of. if people cant understand then oh well.

Never been a rebranding, just a way of saying to avoid confusions with the national Opens, we call the Italian Open "the Open" as well, but of course we know it's not the original Open ;)

Posted:

Advertisement
  • NoTalentLeftyNoTalentLefty Members  3937WRX Points: 358Handicap: 12.9Posts: 3,937 Titanium Tees

On -, @Hawkeye77 said:

On -, @i*windows said:

Fun fact no. 2, until “The Open Championship” fairly recently came into vogue, even the British referred to it as the “British Open”.

Edit: lol, should have gotten to page 2 before posting - I see it’s well documented above.

Rebranding is stupid isn’t it? Ohio State rebranded to ‘The Ohio State University’ . It will always be Ohio State to me and most people.

Posted:
    Livin' proof that Lefties are not naturally talented.

Driver Callaway Epic Flash 10.5 set to 9.5
    3 Wood Epic Flash set to 16 degrees
    3-5 Hybrids Epic Flash 18 20 23 degrees
    6 hybrid Big Bertha 26 degree 
    7-AW Callaway Mavrik Irons 
    50 degree GW Vokey SM7
    56 degree SW Vokey SM7
    Odyssey White Hot V-Line Fang

• Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 IowaClubWRX  21792WRX Points: 5,786Posts: 21,792 ClubWRX

On -, @imakaveli said:

On -, @i*windows said:

On -, @i*windows said:

Never been a rebranding, just a way of saying to avoid confusions with the national Opens, we call the Italian Open "the Open" as well, but of course we know it's not the original Open ;)

Love that!

Posted:
  • MilkyButterCutsMilkyButterCuts Members  981WRX Points: 471Handicap: 4.1Posts: 981 Golden Tee

After going to Scotland last summer I have to say "The Open" might be the superior major.........

Posted:

On -, @MilkyButterCuts said:

After going to Scotland last summer I have to say "The Open" might be the superior major.........

Where did you play?

Posted:
  • MilkyButterCutsMilkyButterCuts Members  981WRX Points: 471Handicap: 4.1Posts: 981 Golden Tee

Trump Intl, Carnoustie, St Andrews (old, new, jubilee), Nairn, and lastl Royal Dornoch

On -, @imakaveli said:

Where did you play?

Posted:
    Post edited by MilkyButterCuts on

Advertisement
  • ebrasmus21ebrasmus21 Serial Shanker CAMembers  6288WRX Points: 2,036Handicap: 2.7Posts: 6,288 Titanium Tees
    Posted:
    G400 LST - TPT proto
    TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
    21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
    4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
    50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
    Evnroll ER5
    Snell MTB Black
  • TMoakley1547TMoakley1547 Members  199WRX Points: 108Posts: 199 Fairways

Trump Intl, Carnoustie, St Andrews (old, new, jubilee), Nairn, and lastl Royal Dornoch
    On -, @imakaveli said:

Where did you play?

Im sure I know the answer already but- which course did you like best?

Posted:
  • bscinstnctbscinstnct Members  29564WRX Points: 6,465Posts: 29,564 Titanium Tees

Phil be like,

"So proud to win the **British Open **for the second time"

Posted:
  • Steele47Steele47 Members  1849WRX Points: 995Posts: 1,849 Platinum Tees

I'm going with The EurOpen.

Posted:
  • OldTomMorrisOldTomMorris Edinburgh, ScotlandMembers  3390WRX Points: 1,203Posts: 3,390 Titanium Tees

On -, @Mr. Hogan said:

I love the British Open. So glad it’s being played in Northern Ireland again.

Prefer Carnoustie though, yeah??

Posted:
    Titleist 910D3 8.5°
    TaylorMade M3 15°
    Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
    Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
    Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
    Titleist Pro V 1x

Advertisement
  • OldTomMorrisOldTomMorris Edinburgh, ScotlandMembers  3390WRX Points: 1,203Posts: 3,390 Titanium Tees

Looks like an amazing course. At one point there were rumours that it could host the Scottish Open. Would like to see that but I think the people behind the tournament might steer clear just to avoid the inevitably questions etc. that they would get from the media.

How do you rate it?

Posted:
    Titleist 910D3 8.5°
    TaylorMade M3 15°
    Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
    Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
    Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
    Titleist Pro V 1x
  • stanger37stanger37 Members  465WRX Points: 154Posts: 465 Greens

I guess it has something to do with this tournament. Wasn't about to start a whole new thread on a mindless stat.

But Koepka has a chance to beat Tiger in an interesting stat. in 2000 and 2005, Tiger has the record of 8 when you add up his finishes in the 4 majors. (2000 1+1+1+5. 2005 1+2+1+4) Brooks has a win and 2 runner ups. Another runner up or win will be the "best" year of all the majors.

I wouldn't put it past him to do it, he is on an absolute tear. Again, mindless stat but interesting nonetheless. Heard it on KMOT on XM Radio.

Posted:
    Nike Vapor Fly Driver 9.5*
    ]Nike Vapor Fly 3W 15*
    Nike Vapor Fly 7W 21*
    Taylormade PSI 4-PW
    Cleveland RTX 52/10
    Cleveland CG15 56/14
    Taylormade Hi-Toe 60
    Odyessy O-Works #7
  • tideridertiderider Members  3203WRX Points: 2,223Handicap: 5ishPosts: 3,203 Titanium Tees

he's the favorite, so he won't be able to motivate himself with the usual drivel of "nobody respects me" ...

Posted:
  • ShilgyShilgy PhoenixMembers  12659WRX Points: 1,646Handicap: 3.8Posts: 12,659 Titanium Tees

On -, @Dave230 said:

Going to my first Open Championship this year, can't wait. First major on the island of Ireland in 68 years.

I'll see you there. Went in '15 to St Andrews and going back for this one. Flight is in 25 days-but who's counting? 😎

Posted:
    WITB
    Tools for the job!

• tideridertiderider Members  3203WRX Points: 2,223Handicap: 5ishPosts: 3,203 Titanium Tees

On -, @Shilgy said:

On -, @Dave230 said:

Going to my first Open Championship this year, can't wait. First major on the island of Ireland in 68 years.

I'll see you there. Went in '15 to St Andrews and going back for this one. Flight is in 25 days-but who's counting? 😎

i honestly think i'd spend money on the Open before i spent money on the Masters ... flight costs would make them probably equal, more or less, but i just like the Open more than the Masters ... might be the two weeks preceding it that makes it so, or the 200000 hours of coverage, or the weather, but that's my favorite tournament ...

Posted:

Advertisement
  • YoungJediYoungJedi Ottertail, MnMembers  1561WRX Points: 328Posts: 1,561 Platinum Tees

The UK British Open presented by Her Majesty

Posted:
    Ping g410 LST 7° w/ Fujikura Ventus 6s, tipped 1/2”
    Ping g410 LST 13° fairway w/ Fujikura Ventus 7s, tipped 1/2”
    Ping g410 7 wood, turned to 19° (The SEXWOOD) w/ Fujikura Ventus 8s, tipped 1/2”
    Ping g410 4 hybrid with Accra cs1 m4 hybrid shaft, SST Pure
    Ping Blueprint 5-pw w/ KBS tour limited black C taper 125 s+ SST pure
    Ping Glide Forged 50° w/ KBS tour limited black C taper 125 s+ SST pure
    Vokey limited Slate Blue sm7 54F w/ DG tour issue s400 SST pure
    PXG Sugar Daddy 59º w/ KBS C taper 120s
    Logan Olson Retro Muscle Bullet Sole
    Mackenzie Walker bag

Posted:

I can't say it was the best (due to the old course, feels like a disservice).... but it was definitely the most enjoyable course I've ever played by a long shot. The raw beauty.... I can't even begin to put into words. I'd be surprised if I ever play a course that good again. It was the only one we played that we talked about rerounding right after.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.