GIVEAWAY: Odyssey Stroke Lab Rossie Putter - ENTER HERE, Vokey SM8 52* Wedge - ENTER HERE

The Open Championship at Royal Portrush GC/Dunluce Links - Shane Lowry is the 2019 Champion Golfer

Comments

• c7015c7015 Members  2304WRX Points: 300Posts: 2,304 Platinum Tees

Weather report

I like Rory for this one

Posted:
    TS3 Smoke 70g (S Flex)
    913 FD 3 wood Whiteboard (X Flex)
    915 F 5 wood Blueboard (S Flex)
    712U 4 Iron
    714CB 5-6
    718MB 7-PW 
    Vokey SM7 50, 55, 60 
    SC Newport 2.5
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • QuigleyDUQuigleyDU Members, ClubWRX  10873WRX Points: 3,981Handicap: 8Posts: 10,873 ClubWRX

On -, @duffer987 said:

On -, @QuigleyDU said:

On -, @tiderider said:

On -, @QuigleyDU said:

On -, @tiderider said:

On -, @QuigleyDU said:

On -, @MMB1500 said:

On -, @QuigleyDU said:

The problem with links golf is every course looks the same, and the only challenge is the wind..

Oh dear.

Prove me wrong.. haha.

Dornoch looks nothing like troon which looks nothing like Turnberry which looks nothing like Muirfield which looks nothing like Berwick which looks nothing like TOC ... and I’ve played them all the past 2 weeks ...

You are ignorant of links golf ...

I have not played any of them, and they all look basically the same to me. I am far from ignorant, I just have a differing opinion. Thanks for the insult though.

The word ‘ignorant’ is not an insult ... it means you lack knowledge of a particular topic ... which you have admitted ...

I have watched enough opens to develop my opinion. I have played on some links "style" courses, I have never played across the pond so I will give you that I never played what could be called a proper links course. But to my eye, they all have similar enough features. Relatively flat, some sand dune'ish hills or mounds with tall grass or gorse, little to no tress, no water for the most part, front 9 going out, back 9 coming in. etc etc. History has shown that if the wind does not blow, tour guys shred these unprotected courses. Having not played one, does not make me ignorant of the design and style of them.

Rory shot 61 at port rush as a 16 year old. If you didnt already know that.

But you are ignorant of the design of them - which you repeatedly prove with your posts in this thread - by saying them have similar enough features. Yes they all have tee grounds, fairways, rough, bunkers, and greens... like all golf courses :-S

Like Augusta and Bethpage Black too right? They are pretty much the same, seeing as they are both parkland courses. I mean you must think that too, correct?

Jeez man, I have not repeatedly proven anything other than my opinion of links golf is that it is boring for my taste. I know what links golf is, I know what feature define links golf. I know a links course when I see it. I think the course are less interesting. I will still watch the open, because regardless of my opinion of the style the event can and will still probably be interesting.

I am sorry that my opinion offends your high taste so.

And no, I don’t think Augusta and bethpage are the same. I would say parkland course offer a larger variety though. There are way more options in them. I would agree that they are sometimes artificial and can look unnatural and contrived at times. Links golf moves with the land much more and is more natural. Sure, I will give you that.

Posted:
    Driver: Taylormade SIM 10.5 KBS TD 70TX
    3 iron Cobra King Utility Aldila Rouge 90 X flex
    4-PW Cobra king forged CB KBS $ Taper 130 X flex
    WEDGES; CLEVELAND RTX4: 49 and 64
    WEDGES: Titleist SM7 54 and 60 KBS tour custom matte black shafts.
    PUTTER; Kronos release long neck
    BALL; 2019 ProV1 yellow/Snell MTB-X yellow
  • NoodleSaladNoodleSalad Members  190WRX Points: 104Posts: 190 Fairways

If links courses were that great the Euro Tour would have the Ryder Cup on them. But they don't. I know I know, it's about the money. But if they can hold British Opens on links courses they can hold Ryder cups on them as well. Could it be the Euro Tour's true mission
    is real estate sales?

Posted:
  • tideridertiderider Members  3203WRX Points: 2,223Handicap: 5ishPosts: 3,203 Titanium Tees

On -, @NoodleSalad said:

If links courses were that great the Euro Tour would have the Ryder Cup on them. But they don't. I know I know, it's about the money. But if they can hold British Opens on links courses they can hold Ryder cups on them as well. Could it be the Euro Tour's true mission
    is real estate sales?

No, they couldn’t ... Venues are selected based on bids by countries/national organizations, along with courses that want a Ryder cup ... Muirfield hosted one back in the 70s, and if they wanted another one, I’m sure they could get one at some pt ... but they don’t ...

Posted:
  • pmadden86pmadden86 Members  390WRX Points: 118Handicap: 6Posts: 390 Greens

Going to be a damp one:

Posted:

Advertisement
  • QuigleyDUQuigleyDU Members, ClubWRX  10873WRX Points: 3,981Handicap: 8Posts: 10,873 ClubWRX

On -, @Bingo1976 said:

If you really think playing the Ryder Cup at a Scottish Links course in October is a wise idea, then you haven't been to Scotland in October... :)

This I agree with. I would imagine it would be miserable.

Posted:
  • scott_Donaldscott_Donald Aberdeen, Scotland & HoustonMembers  2892WRX Points: 409Posts: 2,892 Titanium Tees

On -, @QuigleyDU said:

On -, @Bingo1976 said:

If you really think playing the Ryder Cup at a Scottish Links course in October is a wise idea, then you haven't been to Scotland in October... :)

It's so hit or miss. Last year the start of October was lovely. two years ago it was close to freezing and windy!

Posted:
    • Ping G410 LST 9* Tensei Orange 70TX
    • Taylormade M5 15* Tensei White 80TX
    • Taylormade P790 UDI C taper X
    • Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 4-9 C taper X
    • Artisan 46*, 50* C taper X
    • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
    • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

On -, @scott_Donald said:

On -, @QuigleyDU said:

On -, @Bingo1976 said:

It's so hit or miss. Last year the start of October was lovely. two years ago it was close to freezing and windy!

That would be like trying to play a event up at Tahoe around that time. It could be 80 degrees or there could be a foot of snow.

Posted:
  • scott_Donaldscott_Donald Aberdeen, Scotland & HoustonMembers  2892WRX Points: 409Posts: 2,892 Titanium Tees

On -, @QuigleyDU said:

On -, @QuigleyDU said:

On -, @Bingo1976 said:

That would be like trying to play a event up at Tahoe around that time. It could be 80 degrees or there could be a foot of snow.

Thing is getting 80* in Scotland in the middle of summer is a very rare occurrence!

Posted:
    • Ping G410 LST 9* Tensei Orange 70TX
    • Taylormade M5 15* Tensei White 80TX
    • Taylormade P790 UDI C taper X
    • Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 4-9 C taper X
    • Artisan 46*, 50* C taper X
    • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
    • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

On -, @QuigleyDU said:

On -, @QuigleyDU said:

On -, @Bingo1976 said:

Thing is getting 80* in Scotland in the middle of summer is a very rare occurrence!

haha.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • Apathy_OverdoseApathy_Overdose Members  327WRX Points: 193Posts: 327 Greens

The Open lately seems to produce winners that are all exclusively Hall of Fame worthy type of players.
    Since 2005:

Tiger
    Tiger
    Padraig
    Padraig
    Stewart Cink
    Oosthuizen
    Darren Clarke
    Ernie Els
    Phil
    Rory
    Zach Johnson
    Stenson
    Spieth
    Molinari

I think we can kill the "Open is the most wide open major and anyone can win" narrative.
    One of the best in the world who already has had a very good career and has recently shown good form will win The Open.

However, it does seem to skew toward a bit older golfers who are still on top form winning. Might be time for Adam Scott to finally get his (should've already had 2).

Posted:
  • MountainGoatMountainGoat Mid-MarylandUnregistered  2810WRX Points: 1,397Posts: 2,810 Titanium Tees

The best part of the Open is that you can watch live golf while eating breakfast.

Posted:
  • gvogelgvogel Members  8581WRX Points: 1,475Posts: 8,581 Titanium Tees

On -, @Apathy_Overdose said:

The Open lately seems to produce winners that are all exclusively Hall of Fame worthy type of players.
    Since 2005:

Tiger
    Tiger
    Padraig
    Padraig
    Stewart Cink
    Oosthuizen
    Darren Clarke
    Ernie Els
    Phil
    Rory
    Zach Johnson
    Stenson
    Spieth
    Molinari

I think we can kill the "Open is the most wide open major and anyone can win" narrative.
    One of the best in the world who already has had a very good career and has recently shown good form will win The Open.

However, it does seem to skew toward a bit older golfers who are still on top form winning. Might be time for Adam Scott to finally get his (should've already had 2).

Insert Adam Scott for Erinie Els, and your thesis is correct. That is what should have happened. No belly putter allowed.

Posted:
    Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse
  • gvogelgvogel Members  8581WRX Points: 1,475Posts: 8,581 Titanium Tees

On -, @MountainGoat said:

The best part of the Open is that you can watch live golf while eating breakfast.

Best weekend of the year!!

Posted:
    Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse
  • duffer987duffer987 Meh... eh Canadian in CaliforniaMembers  9957WRX Points: 1,181Handicap: ~8Posts: 9,957 Titanium Tees

On -, @Apathy_Overdose said:

Since 2005:

Tiger
    Tiger
    Padraig
    Padraig
    Stewart Cink
    Oosthuizen
    Darren Clarke
    Ernie Els
    Phil
    Rory
    Zach Johnson
    Stenson
    Spieth
    Molinari

Yup. The only reason that trope exists is because of Curtis/Hamilton back-to-back, as they barely eeked it out wins over chasing packs of word class players.
    Forget 15yrs, go back 30 and the winners circle matches up no problem with the other 3

Posted:

Advertisement
  • Bingo1976Bingo1976 Members  2603WRX Points: 302Handicap: 6.8Posts: 2,603 Titanium Tees

On -, @QuigleyDU said:

On -, @Bingo1976 said:

I managed to get sun burn playing the Old Course in March, and I am fairly olive skinned!

Posted:
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Srixon z565 Speeder 569 Evo IV SR[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood, [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Matrix Ozik R[/font]
    [font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"]Srixon U65 2 iron, Miyazaki S[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cobra F6 Hybrid 22 degrees RedTie S[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Srixon z945 5-pw w/ DG s200[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Miura Y 51 and K 56 DG Spinner, Yururi Raw 61 KBS [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]HiRev[/font]
    [font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"]Odyssey O-Works Black 34"[/font]
  • KrazyTrain18KrazyTrain18 West CoastMembers  3274WRX Points: 244Handicap: 1.5Posts: 3,274 Titanium Tees

Adam Scott has been at Portrush for nearly two weeks getting to know the course.

https://7news.com.au/sport/golf/adam-scott-eyes-british-open-redemption-c-211604

Posted:
    915D3 9.5 (GD-DI 6S Black Edition)
    910F 15 (Diamana Kai'li 75S)
    712U 2I (DG S300)
    714 AP2 4-W (DG S300)
    SM6 (50-54-58) (DG S200)
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 (Studio Select)
    TP5
  • aenematedaenemated Los Angeles, CAMembers  688WRX Points: 822Posts: 688 Golden Tee

On -, @Bingo1976 said:

I managed to get sun burn playing the Old Course in March, and I am fairly olive skinned!

It was in the mid 40s and raining when I played the Old Course last month. Every other day of my trip was in the mid 60s, cloudless and gorgeous.

It's like the golf gods were all "Oh, you wanted REAL links golf?"

Posted:

Titleist TS4 9.5°
    Titleist TS2 FW 15°, 18°
    Titleist TS3 Hybrid 22°
    PXG 0211 5-PW
    Miura 52°, 56°, 58° RTG
    Scotty Cameron Phantom X 8
    Bridgestone Tour B XS

• imakaveliimakaveli Moli Moli Moli Moli Tommy Tommy Tommy Tommy... Members  13161WRX Points: 1,026Handicap: 3.8Posts: 13,161 Titanium Tees

On -, @NoodleSalad said:

is real estate sales?

Agreed, a Ryder Cup at Carnoustie would be such a snoozefest...

Posted:
  • NoodleSaladNoodleSalad Members  190WRX Points: 104Posts: 190 Fairways

On -, @imakaveli said:

On -, @NoodleSalad said:

is real estate sales?

Irony appears not to be your strong suit.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • OldTomMorrisOldTomMorris Edinburgh, ScotlandMembers  3390WRX Points: 1,203Posts: 3,390 Titanium Tees
    Posted:
    Titleist 910D3 8.5°
    TaylorMade M3 15°
    Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
    Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
    Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
    Titleist Pro V 1x
  • KRAMER1997KRAMER1997 Members  350WRX Points: 274Posts: 350 Greens

Probably the most exciting major the last 4 years: 2015 Playoff, Spieth one shot from winning 3 straight major, 2016: Mickelson/Stenson duel, 2017: Spieth plays last 5 holes -5 , 2018: Molinari beats Tiger, Rory, Spieth.

Posted:
  • imakaveliimakaveli Moli Moli Moli Moli Tommy Tommy Tommy Tommy... Members  13161WRX Points: 1,026Handicap: 3.8Posts: 13,161 Titanium Tees

On -, @NoodleSalad said:

On -, @imakaveli said:

On -, @NoodleSalad said:

is real estate sales?

Irony appears not to be your strong suit.

If that was an ironic post then it's a weird one.

Posted:
  • snizzlesnizzle Members  536WRX Points: 138Posts: 536 Golden Tee

Does anyone know why so many turned down their invite to play this year?
    I know Chappell and Schwartzel are injured.
    Kevin Na, Scott Piercy, and Ryan Moore all qualified for the Open but are DNP's.

Posted:

On -, @snizzle said:

Does anyone know why so many turned down their invite to play this year?
    I know Chappell and Schwartzel are injured.
    Kevin Na, Scott Piercy, and Ryan Moore all qualified for the Open but are DNP's.

Maybe the "walking only" policy?

Posted:

Advertisement
  • tideridertiderider Members  3203WRX Points: 2,223Handicap: 5ishPosts: 3,203 Titanium Tees
    Posted:

new odds:
    rooks Koepka 8/1
    Rory McIlroy 8/1
    Dustin Johnson 14/1
    Tiger Woods 16/1
    Justin Rose 20/1
    Francesco Molinari 20/1
    Jon Rahm 20/1
    Xander Schauffele 20/1
    Rickie Fowler 20/1
    Tommy Fleewood 25/1
    Patrick Cantlay 25/1
    Jordan Spieth 30/1
    Adam Scott 30/1
    Hideki Matsuyama 30/1
    Jason Day 30/1
    Justin Thomas 30/1
    Louis Oosthuizen 30/1
    Bryson DeChambeau 30/1
    Matt Kuchar 40/1
    Henrik Stenson 50/1
    Paul Casey 50/1
    Graeme McDowell 50/1
    Matt Wallace 50/1
    Gary Woodland 50/1

Posted:

Can we put the capital "T" in the thread title?

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.