2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Broke 90 today

HonestPlayer

Broke 90 today on my home course from the tips for the time time.

My putting was very good (for me). I had no 3-putts all round. However, didn’t make a putt outside 5 feet either. Lost 2 balls - I am disappointed by that. My last few rounds I had not lost a ball - It was a strange feeling shooting my best score by 4 shots when I lost 2 balls. Course was playing roughly 6600 on the day.

Next real BIG goal is 85 (breaking 80 isn't realistic for me right now even with the reddest of red hot putters - I currently don't have a club I can hit far enough safely), taking it one step at a time though for now. Looking forward to playing again soon. Good luck to all of you playing later today.

HonestPlayer

Breaking 90 was one of the best milestones for me, congrats!!

Breaking 80 was much harder, I only managed it 5 times all last season and only 2 so far this year.

Realistically course management and chipping have made the biggest difference for me, and now my goal is to try to get in the 80s every round by compounding as few mistakes as possible.

Good job!

> @kaycalkai said:

> Breaking 90 was one of the best milestones for me, congrats!!

> Breaking 80 was much harder, I only managed it 5 times all last season and only 2 so far this year.

> Realistically course management and chipping have made the biggest difference for me, and now my goal is to try to get in the 80s every round by compounding as few mistakes as possible.

>

> Good job!

Good stuff. I think 85 is in touching distance now (2 lost balls). Breaking 80 will be much harder of course. My goal is still 95 or better for now. I like to keep low expectations so I can keep enjoying myself. Thanks for the other posts too.

Congrats man! Would like to accomplish that myself this season!

TM SIM Max 9*  Tensei blue AV 65-S

Mizuno ST180 3w 15* Tensei blue-S

Cobra BioCell 5w 19* Matrix RedTie-S

Ping G30 4h 22* TFC 419-R

Taylormade R-11 5-PW KBS Tour 90-S

Cleveland CBX 52* 58* DG 115-W

Mannkrafted rebar Rattler 

I broke 90 for the first time last weekend, shot an 85 ! Should have been lower, missed a couple shorty putts. I was struggling to break 100 consistently last year... Short game has made all the difference. Solid chipping and much better putting. Not 3 putting nearly as much as last year. Congrats OP, now let's break 80 !!!

Callaway (OG) Rogue SZ

TS2 Fairways

JPX 919 Tour (4-PW)

RTX4's 50, 56

BETTI QB6

Congrats! I am still working towards that goal. Best is a 92 from the backs.

I haven't met you, but I can understand your pride and joy. Inspirational for us hackers with no talent but lots of passion.

The best British expression I have ever heard is feeling 'Chuffed'. See: Karl Pilkington.

Nicely done. That is what keeps us coming back.

There are several different numbers out there as far as percentage of golfers who break 90, but most of the sites claim around 20-25%. That is a pretty small group you just joined. Congrats.

Ping G400 Max Ventus Blue TR

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

Good for you OP. Keep at it, especially with the short game.

For the past 2 months, Ive been bordering on breaking a milestone. Always something would happen tho. A couple or 3 short putts that I should have made, ball behind a tree, couldnt get outta the bunker...or whatever and I would miss my milestone by 1 or 2 strokes.

Not yesterday though. I thought through every single shot, and it was hard on my brain. But I shattered my goal. By 6 shots. And I cannot WAIT to get back out there and do it again!

Thanks all.

> @RSinSG said:

> Nicely done. That is what keeps us coming back.

>

> There are several different numbers out there as far as percentage of golfers who break 90, but most of the sites claim around 20-25%. That is a pretty small group you just joined. Congrats.

Yes. Depends on the course though and what counts / what doesn't. I consider sub 6000 course yardage as basically a practice course, but that's just my personal opinion. Playing form the tips is going to very tough / near on impossible for me to ever break 85 or 80 with the distance I'm hitting despite good course management (my safe mode is 185 or less from the tee, anything 200 plus is a huge risk for me as a high cap that's terrible consistency with 5 iron, 4 iron, 3 iron and woods ) from the tee when the tips here are playing around 6600 most days. I played 8 or 9 times from the tips in the past month averaging roughly 92 and best round of 88 .

Therefore I'm doing what's honest / sensible for me - I'm moving back to the member tees (forward one from the tips) and trying to push past 85 and then 80 from there (par 72). Once I break 80 (perhaps even lower than that) from the members I might consider going back to the tips again. Going to really need to work on my short game. As the members are still 6200 it's a good test, the tips have been made super tough in the past week and become less fun. > @DivinDave said:

> Good for you OP. Keep at it, especially with the short game.

> For the past 2 months, Ive been bordering on breaking a milestone. Always something would happen tho. A couple or 3 short putts that I should have made, ball behind a tree, couldnt get outta the bunker...or whatever and I would miss my milestone by 1 or 2 strokes.

>

> Not yesterday though. I thought through every single shot, and it was hard on my brain. But I shattered my goal. By 6 shots. And I cannot WAIT to get back out there and do it again!

>

>

Yes I need to work towards a monster short game it's definitely where a lot of shots could be saved. Moving up to the members tees should help. I thought it through and it's the only way I can keep enjoying getting out there - which is the point of it after all and still a fair test at roughly 6200 total yardage.

For me a few par 4's from the tips are playing 450 yards and that's been super difficult for me as I can't realistically try to get there in two without risking carding the 9's, 10's and upwards

> @kaycalkai said:

> Breaking 90 was one of the best milestones for me, congrats!!

> Breaking 80 was much harder, I only managed it 5 times all last season and only 2 so far this year.

> Realistically course management and chipping have made the biggest difference for me, and now my goal is to try to get in the 80s every round by compounding as few mistakes as possible.

>

> Good job!

Agree with this. If you think about mistakes it costs plenty of shots to the average golfer, if you can improve each of the four areas of tee, irons, pitches/chips and putting by two shots you’re nearly there. I’ve recently adopted a new putting stroke as I was awful and lacking confidence and I reckon that alone is saving me 5 shots on an average round.

> @Murphy76 said:

> Congrats! I am still working towards that goal. Best is a 92 from the backs.

>

> I haven't met you, but I can understand your pride and joy. Inspirational for us hackers with no talent but lots of passion.

>

> The best British expression I have ever heard is feeling 'Chuffed'. See: Karl Pilkington.

>

Well chuffed.

Congratulations! I am guessing from the score you are a high cap/beginner. Not knowing course length from tips, why are you playing from the tips? Typically, playing from the tips is reserved for low caps or better.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17° 2i Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

> @Pepperturbo said:

> Congratulations! I am guessing from the score you are a high cap/beginner. Not knowing course length from tips, why are you playing from the tips? Typically, playing from the tips is reserved for low caps or better.

I have broken 90 before, but not from tips - many years ago 79 from the members. I have never played from the tips anywhere until this month. However, due to a few injuries and several years out the game my current swing and grip is completely different - it's like I'm re-learning the game again. I'm also out of shape still and struggling to walk 18 holes. Tips are 6600, members 6200. It's good for mental game, short game and course management putting yourself at a disadvantage from back there. I'm hoping to get 85 or better next from the member tees (I'll probably be playing from the members until I break 80 from them), so I'll be hitting from the members for a while.

• Like 1

Congrats brother! How long have you been playing?

It took me about 4-5 months of consistent weekend play to break and keep my average under 90. I average about 84-87 and I've got about a year of continuous play under my belt. I used to play when I was around 13. My Uncle got me into golf at a young age and I stopped for about 15 years before picking it back up. Now I can't go a weekend without swinging my clubs. I've got the dang bug.. haha! My lowest game was a 79. I was sinking par on everything with handful of bogies and 3-4 birdies during that round. I walked away with the greatest feeling that day. Sometimes I play from tips just to continuously challenge myself. I know how rewarding it feels to get to this point mate. Keep pushing and you'll hit par!

Congratulations mate! It took me about 4-5 months of consistent weekend play to break 90.

I used to play as a kid because my uncle is an avid golfer. Started playing around 13 years old. Took about a 15 year break and picked up interest again about a year ago. I live in Miami so there are a number of courses here to enjoy. I average about 84-87 with my lowest score being 79. I was sinking par on everything with a handful of bogies and 3-4 birdies on that course. I walked away with the greatest feeling of accomplishment that day. Sometimes I play from tips just to give myself a challenge if its a course that I frequent. I know how rewarding it feels to get to this point mate. Keep pushing and soon you'll hit par!

> @HonestPlayer said:

> > @Pepperturbo said:

> > Congratulations! I am guessing from the score you are a high cap/beginner. Not knowing course length from tips, why are you playing from the tips? Typically, playing from the tips is reserved for low caps or better.

>

> I have broken 90 before, but not from tips - many years ago 79 from the members. I have never played from the tips anywhere until this month. However, due to a few injuries and several years out the game my current swing and grip is completely different - it's like I'm re-learning the game again. I'm also out of shape still and struggling to walk 18 holes. Tips are 6600, members 6200. It's good for mental game, short game and course management putting yourself at a disadvantage from back there. I'm hoping to get 85 or better next from the member tees (I'll probably be playing from the members until I break 80 from them), so I'll be hitting from the members for a while.

Got ya... I don't see playing longer yardage as a disadvantage, but challenges meant to be overcome as long as the pace of play can be maintained. Good luck.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17° 2i Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x