North Jersey Golf

Max21 ·  
Max21Max21  64WRX Points: 27Members Posts: 64

Anyone else frustrated with all these public options in North Jersey? I try and golf on Saturdays and Sundays (then take off here and there for mid week rounds) but its crazy how frustrating it is to find tee times. Impossible to find tee times and you end up paying up to $75 on courses that you cant even tell the difference between the rough and fairway. Anyone else experiencing this?

I have my first meeting with a private club this weekend since playing public courses is going terrible. I played Fossil Trace in Colorado last week for $65 and it was probably the nicest course I have played with crazy awesome carts and it has fully solidified my decision that I am done with public courses in NJ.

Posted:

Comments

• LPSISCOLPSISCO  371WRX Points: 95Members Posts: 371

We’ll see what you say after you find out what a nice private course in NJ costs 😂😂😂

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • ckayckay  4305WRX Points: 466Members Posts: 4,305

Same gripe in Westchester County, NY. It is what it is. Pay $12K+ a year for private club dues, or deal with the herds.

Posted:
    Taylormade M4 440 10* Tensei White Pro 60TX
    Taylormade M2 Tour 16.5* Atmos Blue 7x
    Taylormade M2 L.I.F.T. 2 KBS Hybrid Proto 85x
    Miura CB57 Nippon SPB X
    Vokey CF 52F/56M/60M S400 Onyx
    Cameron Cami & Co Newport Beach 34/350

WITB Link
  • FerrettsFerretts  38WRX Points: 24Members Posts: 38

Mansion ridge, or patriot hills... Play in the afternoon or just book ahead a week or two. Both great courses, neither too far away from the heart of things.

Posted:
  • Max21Max21  64WRX Points: 27Members Posts: 64

On -, @LPSISCO said:

We’ll see what you say after you find out what a nice private course in NJ costs 😂😂😂

I have multiple options I am considering right now that are very affordable. Thank you though

Posted:

On -, @ckay said:

Same gripe in Westchester County, NY. It is what it is. Pay $12K+ a year for private club dues, or deal with the herds.

Its tough! Especially trying to consistently play every weekend. For my age group I have found a few options available under 4k per year. We shall see

Posted:

On -, @Ferretts said:

Mansion ridge, or patriot hills... Play in the afternoon or just book ahead a week or two. Both great courses, neither too far away from the heart of things.

Nice options to check out. Thanks. Unfortunately my schedule isnt all that set two weeks in advance and these are over an hour drive for me but I will definitely be checking these out. Thanks!

Posted:

Advertisement
  • cpeckcpeck North new jersey 598WRX Points: 284Handicap: leftyMembers Posts: 598

where in north jersey are you

Posted:

On -, @cpeck said:

where in north jersey are you

Morris County area

Posted:
  • ckayckay  4305WRX Points: 466Members Posts: 4,305

On -, @Max21 said:

On -, @ckay said:

Its tough! Especially trying to consistently play every weekend. For my age group I have found a few options available under 4k per year. We shall see

That is my issue as well. I can't consistently play so the pressure is on to get rounds in to offset the outlay. It will be justifiable once the kids are old enough to take advantage of the full facilities but right now it isn't. However, anytime I do play at a club I am frantically searching for a deal because it is great to show up, warm up, and play without anyone to slow you down.

Posted:
    Taylormade M4 440 10* Tensei White Pro 60TX
    Taylormade M2 Tour 16.5* Atmos Blue 7x
    Taylormade M2 L.I.F.T. 2 KBS Hybrid Proto 85x
    Miura CB57 Nippon SPB X
    Vokey CF 52F/56M/60M S400 Onyx
    Cameron Cami & Co Newport Beach 34/350

WITB Link
  • Kevlar10Kevlar10  107WRX Points: 50Handicap: 13Members Posts: 107

I’m actually in NW NJ and the cost isn’t too bad. The hard part is finding the time. The clubs out here aren’t overly expensive comparatively speaking, but I couldn’t get out enough to justify the cost.

Posted:

On -, @Kevlar10 said:

I’m actually in NW NJ and the cost isn’t too bad. The hard part is finding the time. The clubs out here aren’t overly expensive comparatively speaking, but I couldn’t get out enough to justify the cost.

Hmmm let’s see. Wild Turkey on the weekend is over $130. That course is straight trash for that price. Skyview is over $80 on weekends as well. Never playing there again. Farmstead is around $70 but is it really worth that? Last time I played there I had a 5 and half hour round. I feel like I can keep going. Berkshire isn’t bad at all with a county card but the pace of play is gross and trying to find a time even a week in advance is impossible. Are you playing at rolling green lol? And no I would prefer not to tee off at 4 pm every time either.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • Kevlar10Kevlar10  107WRX Points: 50Handicap: 13Members Posts: 107

You can always find expensive courses to play, especially in the Sparta area. I’ve played plenty of times for well under $50. If you cross the river into PA, the cost is much less. Even in Somerset County, there are some reasonably priced courses on the weekend. I don’t look for specific courses, or only those within 15 minutes of my house. Sometimes finding deals takes a little research or planning.

Posted:
  • LPSISCOLPSISCO  371WRX Points: 95Members Posts: 371

You must be in the lower age group than most on here. I don’t know of any nice courses in the Morris County area that are sub $4K. Good for you if you’ve found several.

Posted:

On -, @Kevlar10 said:

You can always find expensive courses to play, especially in the Sparta area. I’ve played plenty of times for well under $50. If you cross the river into PA, the cost is much less. Even in Somerset County, there are some reasonably priced courses on the weekend. I don’t look for specific courses, or only those within 15 minutes of my house. Sometimes finding deals takes a little research or planning.

On -, @Kevlar10 said:

What are some courses you play ?

Posted:
  • NJgolfer11NJgolfer11  160WRX Points: 82Handicap: 8Members Posts: 160

On -, @Max21 said:

Anyone else frustrated with all these public options in North Jersey? I try and golf on Saturdays and Sundays (then take off here and there for mid week rounds) but its crazy how frustrating it is to find tee times. Impossible to find tee times and you end up paying up to $75 on courses that you cant even tell the difference between the rough and fairway. Anyone else experiencing this?

I have my first meeting with a private club this weekend since playing public courses is going terrible. I played Fossil Trace in Colorado last week for $65 and it was probably the nicest course I have played with crazy awesome carts and it has fully solidified my decision that I am done with public courses in NJ.

One thing I enjoy about Monmouth County is that we have excellent county courses (Howell, Hominy Hill, Charleston Springs, Shark River). You are playing close to 4.5 hours a round, but they take really good care of the courses.
    Good luck looking at the private clubs. Not sure what your budget is, but the first place I would go is NJ National. I played it about 4-5 years ago and it was in great shape. Dues are reasonable, you can walk the course anytime, so that saves cart fees. No initiation fee.
    Morris County has some high end clubs. I think Black Oak is relatively reasonable considering other options like Morris County Golf Club, Spring Brook and Roxiticus.
    Basking Ridge is supposed to be decent as well.
    I am playing Lake Mohawk in a few weeks and I remember on their website advertising for new members, so that maybe something to check out, along with Panther Valley.
    Good luck on your search!

Posted:

On -, @NJgolfer11 said:

On -, @Max21 said:

One thing I enjoy about Monmouth County is that we have excellent county courses (Howell, Hominy Hill, Charleston Springs, Shark River). You are playing close to 4.5 hours a round, but they take really good care of the courses.
    Good luck looking at the private clubs. Not sure what your budget is, but the first place I would go is NJ National. I played it about 4-5 years ago and it was in great shape. Dues are reasonable, you can walk the course anytime, so that saves cart fees. No initiation fee.
    Morris County has some high end clubs. I think Black Oak is relatively reasonable considering other options like Morris County Golf Club, Spring Brook and Roxiticus.
    I am playing Lake Mohawk in a few weeks and I remember on their website advertising for new members, so that maybe something to check out, along with Panther Valley.

Thanks for all the insight! I really want to play Hominy Hill just gotta get down there. I always read on here how people pay like $20-$40 for public courses but that is impossible around my area unless you are playing on basically a soccer field. I am actually going to visit Black Oak within the next few weeks. Very close to me and actually very reasonable as well.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • ani5009ani5009 High Bridge, NJ 351WRX Points: 73Handicap: 3.1Members Posts: 351

On -, @NJgolfer11 said:

On -, @Max21 said:

Basking Ridge is probably worth checking out, especially if you are in your late 20's-early 30's as it is very affordable. I was a member there for the last 4 years and it was a great combination of affordable and extremely close to where I was living at the time. NJ National is a nice track as well and the pro is a good guy, but I'm not sure what they charge for a membership (I've heard its close to BR but I can't be sure).

Posted:
    TM M4 9.5*
    Titleist 917F2 15*
    Mizuno CLK 3 Hybrid 19*
    Srixon z785 4-P 
    Cleveland RTX 3 50* Gap Wedge
    Cleveland RTX4 54/58
    Bettinardi BB-1 (2011)/Odyssey Jailbird Mini
  • longballjslongballjs New Jersey 1516WRX Points: 148Handicap: 2.4Members Posts: 1,516

Lake Mohawk is looking for members, it is a shorter course that plays way longer. Was a member there a few years ago, greens are small but super fast, membership is a good group of guys, they do a friday afternoon money game every week. but for location, id never of left. I play now at galloping hill as i only get out once a week. We have an association that plays every sunday morning, basically guarantees a tee time between 6 and 9 with some interesting tournaments and skins/ctp. Galloping hill is in as good a shape this year as its ever been. Greens rolling at 11.5 for a public course with that much play, ill take it.

Posted:
    Titleist ProV1 Experience 7/12/17-7/13/17

TaylorMade M5 with speeder 667 xstiff
    Titleist 915 Fd 15 with diamana d+80 xstiff
    Titleist 909h 19* with voodoo stiff
    Titleist ap2 716 4-gw with Amt x100
    Vokey sm6 54, 58 with Amt x100
    Scotty Studio Stainless Newport 2
  • NJgolfer11NJgolfer11  160WRX Points: 82Handicap: 8Members Posts: 160

On -, @Max21 said:

On -, @NJgolfer11 said:

On -, @Max21 said:

Thanks for all the insight! I really want to play Hominy Hill just gotta get down there. I always read on here how people pay like $20-$40 for public courses but that is impossible around my area unless you are playing on basically a soccer field. I am actually going to visit Black Oak within the next few weeks. Very close to me and actually very reasonable as well.

Weekends are $50 to walk the courses. Great value.

Posted:
  • Wander BreadWander Bread  81WRX Points: 35Handicap: 4.2Members Posts: 81

What private clubs in Jersey are 4k or less per year?

Posted:
  • gioguy21gioguy21 NJ 8087WRX Points: 1,340Handicap: +1.6 (1194646)Members Posts: 8,087

On -, @Wander Bread said:

Posted:

Epic Flash SZ / 9* (set D/S) / Fujikura Pro 2.0 TS 6X tipped 1.50"
    Epic Flash SZ / 3+ (set -1/N) / HZRDUS Smoke Black 75g 6.5 tipped 2"
    Epic CF17 3i / Tensei PW Hybrid 100TX
    Apex MB Chrome / 3-PW / Modus 130 X
    MD4 Chrome / 52, 56, 60 / DG 115 S200 (for now)
    Piretti Tour 801R / 35.5"

Advertisement

On -, @gioguy21 said:

On -, @Wander Bread said:

for my age group, i have a handful of options

Posted:
  • gioguy21gioguy21 NJ 8087WRX Points: 1,340Handicap: +1.6 (1194646)Members Posts: 8,087

On -, @Max21 said:

On -, @LPSISCO said:

I have multiple options I am considering right now that are very affordable. Thank you though

please . do tell...

Posted:

On -, @gioguy21 said:

On -, @Max21 said:

On -, @LPSISCO said:

please . do tell...

please . do tell that every club is not affordable. do tell

Posted:
  • cpeckcpeck North new jersey 598WRX Points: 284Handicap: leftyMembers Posts: 598

subscribed.

again

Posted:

On -, @Max21 said:

On -, @gioguy21 said:

On -, @Max21 said:

On -, @LPSISCO said:

please . do tell...

ok. well, it's been stated already that crystal springs is roughly $9k - black oak is a minimum of $4k in dues PLUS food minimum and cart fees for every round at $28 a clip. and outside of that...there aren't a whole host of courses that are decent enough to play for the money. mohawk has decent greens but the course is short af -- and that's not in morris county.

there, there's a few -- why don't you speak about your options...please.

EDIT btw, i know a few Black Oak members -- i've played the course quite a few times, talked to the membership coordinator and had visits to discuss memberships of varying levels. i'm 33, and honestly, after doing a cost analysis including rounds of golf i'd play (cart fees), range usage and the like -- it's cheaper to play elsewhere and have variety...and buy range balls; than it is to join black oak.

Posted:

Advertisement

On -, @gioguy21 said:

On -, @Max21 said:

On -, @gioguy21 said:

On -, @Max21 said:

On -, @LPSISCO said:

please . do tell...

ok. well, it's been stated already that crystal springs is roughly $9k - black oak is a minimum of $4k in dues PLUS food minimum and cart fees for every round at $28 a clip. and outside of that...there aren't a whole host of courses that are decent enough to play for the money. mohawk has decent greens but the course is short af -- and that's not in morris county.

Hahahahaha i feel so so bad for anyone that even considers Crystal Springs. What a joke. Might want to put in a tad more research there bud

Posted:

On -, @Max21 said:

On -, @gioguy21 said:

On -, @Max21 said:

On -, @gioguy21 said:

On -, @Max21 said:

On -, @LPSISCO said:

please . do tell...

Hahahahaha i feel so so bad for anyone that even considers Crystal Springs. What a joke. Might want to put in a tad more research there bud

...i've done my research. listen, if you want to be a child (seems you are) -- go ahead. ignore feature is a wonderful thing.

as you were -- gl in your search.

Posted:

On -, @gioguy21 said:

On -, @Max21 said:

On -, @gioguy21 said:

On -, @Max21 said:

On -, @gioguy21 said:

On -, @Max21 said:

On -, @LPSISCO said:

please . do tell...

...i've done my research. listen, if you want to be a child (seems you are) -- go ahead. ignore feature is a wonderful thing.

Im not trying to be a child but when you come off the way you did I would respond the same exact way every time. Have a good one boss

Posted:

Advertisement

On -, @Max21 said:

On -, @gioguy21 said:

On -, @Max21 said:

On -, @gioguy21 said:

On -, @Max21 said:

On -, @gioguy21 said:

On -, @Max21 said:

On -, @LPSISCO said:

please . do tell...

Im not trying to be a child but when you come off the way you did I would respond the same exact way every time. Have a good one boss

i asked you to say where (for the benefit of everyone looking in the thread) where your mythical $4k/year courses are. whatever man

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.