Beginner needing tips for fixing chicken wing

blb078

Hello, I just started playing about 2 months ago at the age of 40. Been taking lessons locally and one of my big issues is I have fairly large chicken wing(along with lack of hips rotating). My instructor has sown me what I need to do and I understand what I need to do and we've worked on it but I just can't seem to get this corrected. I've looked at videos and tried what is recommended but nothing seems to help so I'm curious if anyone who has had this issue found a way that might not be a common training method that corrected it for them. Thanks

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No one here has seen your swing - while your instructor has - why not go back to your instructor?

ย 

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. ย Doomed is yourย soul and damnedย is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you donโ€™t know you are a member. ย  The second rule is that weโ€™re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

ย 

ย 

> @blb078 said:

> > @glk said:

> > No one here has seen your swing - while your instructor has - why not go back to your instructor?

>

> I see him every week. What I'm asking is if anyone has had anything that has worked for them that was not one of the common methods of teaching on how to fix it.

ย 

Again, why not ask your instructor? Going down the rabbit hole of asking complete strangers with widely varying abilities, having never seen your swing, and most with zero teaching experience to "help out" is a recipe for disaster.

ย 

Based on what you said you simply need to tell him you aren't getting it or just follow random advice from strangers while paying him to continue to waste both of your times. A chicken wing is almost always a result of something much earlier in the swing so please stick with someone with experience and specifically experience with your swing.

ย 

On a side not, how much practice/ play time do you have each week? I only ask because lessons one a week seems to be a little much unless you have a lot of time to work on the things you guys do in your lessons. Now if you are going that frequently to keep from having the big swings some have when learning a new skill then that's understandable.

> @buckeyefl said:

> > @blb078 said:

> > > @glk said:

> > > No one here has seen your swing - while your instructor has - why not go back to your instructor?

> >

> > I see him every week. What I'm asking is if anyone has had anything that has worked for them that was not one of the common methods of teaching on how to fix it.

>

> Again, why not ask your instructor? Going down the rabbit hole of asking complete strangers with widely varying abilities, having never seen your swing, and most with zero teaching experience to "help out" is a recipe for disaster.

>

> Based on what you said you simply need to tell him you aren't getting it or just follow random advice from strangers while paying him to continue to waste both of your times. A chicken wing is almost always a result of something much earlier in the swing so please stick with someone with experience and specifically experience with your swing.

>

> On a side not, how much practice/ play time do you have each week? I only ask because lessons one a week seems to be a little much unless you have a lot of time to work on the things you guys do in your lessons. Now if you are going that frequently to keep from having the big swings some have when learning a new skill then that's understandable.

ย 

I am going to ask him, just haven't seen him this week yet. I can practice daily, i live on 13 acres and self employed working from my house. I practice at 1am sometimes with the lights on after watching a video on something, practice time isn't an issue it's being able to take what I'm learning and actually applying it that is the issue. I'm simply asking for those who have had this issue or know of someone who has what worked for them that may not have been the traditional approach. I'm not asking for anyone to analyze my swing or anything. I'm not asking for anyone to come at this from a swing analysis point of view, I'm just brainstorming for ideas that might not be like the common ones you see on youtube or such.

> @Barfolomew said:

> Can you throw a baseball without chicken winging?

>

> If not maybe try that first to loosen up that right arm cause chicken winging is the ugliest of the ugly and has no place in a mans life and you'll be alright when you shed those demons

ย 

I can, if you are referring to throwing it side arm. The chicken wing happens on the left arm/elbow at impact. I'm right handed.

Without coming at it from a swing analysis point if view you will just be floundering. It all depends on WHY you have a chicken wing and then prescribing a remedy for the cause instead of using Band-Aids on the effect which is what you are going to get.

ย 

Why go with a non traditional approach instead of what you were shown to work on? Again without the why's you can only guess at finding the hows and as you can see you in this forum you will get 100 different suggestions from people as they talk about what worked for them. They might work for you but more than likely they will make things worse and more confusing.

ย 

When you say "after watching a video" do you mean videos you find online? Again this is not to sound mean but unless you can diagnose your swing then don't be too anxious in following the latest tips and videos because they may not apply to you even though they seem to. I know when learning you want to be working on something to get better but try to keep it simple and be patient.

ย 

You mentioned your lack of good rotating, is that what your instructor has mentioned is causing your chicken wing? You may get some ideas of what you are looking for if you mention what he said was causing it and how to go about fixing it. Without that info or a video your basically feeling around in the dark.

ย 

It may not be what you want to hear but you could be playing with fire and I would much rather see you with as little frustration as possible and constantly getting better.

> @blb078 said:

> > @Barfolomew said:

> > Can you throw a baseball without chicken winging?

> >

> > If not maybe try that first to loosen up that right arm cause chicken winging is the ugliest of the ugly and has no place in a mans life and you'll be alright when you shed those demons

>

> I can, if you are referring to throwing it side arm. The chicken wing happens on the left arm/elbow at impact. I'm right handed.

ย 

Dang I didnt even know a righty could wing up the left at impact...... I like you so here's a tip...... stand at address on a range mat no ball swing back and forth in a slow rhythmical temp non stop now on back swing make left arm straight and as you get thru impact zone smoothly switch over to right arm straight and then swing back and as you pass impact zone straighten left arm again and keep that going till feels good. Now hit the damm ball minus the wing

ย 

You can also do that with the feet stepping...right foot down left up on back swing and left foot down right foot up on follow thru and keep going....

Can't figure how to like my own posts

> @blb078 said:

> Hello, I just started playing about 2 months ago at the age of 40. Been taking lessons locally and one of my big issues is I have fairly large chicken wing(along with lack of hips rotating). My instructor has sown me what I need to do and I understand what I need to do and we've worked on it but I just can't seem to get this corrected. I've looked at videos and tried what is recommended but nothing seems to help so I'm curious if anyone who has had this issue found a way that might not be a common training method that corrected it for them. Thanks

ย 

Hard to say. Do you feel like you are steering the club thru impact?

If you are a newbie, my guess is you are probably using your arms too much to "steer" the club.

This seems like a pretty natural thing to do for a newbie.

I am not an instructor, but IMHO

* take the tension out of your arms (assuming they are tense)

* Allow the left forearm to "rotate" with the help of your body rotation ( dont force it)

If you can get that fluid left arm rotation (especially coming into and after impact), then I dont see how you can still have a chicken wing.

ย 

0sld97npy1jn.png

ย 

ย 

ย 

> @Hackinator said:

> > @blb078 said:

> > Hello, I just started playing about 2 months ago at the age of 40. Been taking lessons locally and one of my big issues is I have fairly large chicken wing(along with lack of hips rotating). My instructor has sown me what I need to do and I understand what I need to do and we've worked on it but I just can't seem to get this corrected. I've looked at videos and tried what is recommended but nothing seems to help so I'm curious if anyone who has had this issue found a way that might not be a common training method that corrected it for them. Thanks

>

> Hard to say. Do you feel like you are steering the club thru impact?

> If you are a newbie, my guess is you are probably using your arms too much to "steer" the club.

> This seems like a pretty natural thing to do for a newbie.

> I am not an instructor, but IMHO

> * take the tension out of your arms (assuming they are tense)

> * Allow the left forearm to "rotate" with the help of your body rotation ( dont force it)

> If you can get that fluid left arm rotation (especially coming into and after impact), then I dont see how you can still have a chicken wing.

>

> 0sld97npy1jn.png

>

>

>

ย 

Thanks, that is pretty much what I've been working on, except as you mentioned I have to think about/force rotating my left forearm. I don't do it naturally.

you are doing it to hit the ball, its the effect of other things and you can thank your lucky stars your body is smart enough to do it rather than shanking the ball. I have a slight chicken wing. I like it. I can swing without it but I like how accurate I am with it. Maybe someday it will be gone but for now I don't mind it one bit.

> @"rich s" said:

> you are doing it to hit the ball, its the effect of other things and you can thank your lucky stars your body is smart enough to do it rather than shanking the ball. I have a slight chicken wing. I like it. I can swing without it but I like how accurate I am with it. Maybe someday it will be gone but for now I don't mind it one bit.

ย 

We have a winner