Tommy Armour 845s vs other classic irons, best for a beginner?

RodoaloRodoalo Members Posts: 69 ✭✭
edited Jun 19, 2019 4:46pm in Classic Golf And Golfers #1

Following up with my question on whether I shall upgrade my Titleist Tour Model Irons, I thought of buying those 845s irons since my Tour Model irons are difficult to hit! How forgiving are them for beginners? Which other classic and cheap irons do you recommend for a beginner?

Some other names I saw on global golf (this is the store that I consider buying from because of their shipping fees, which are really good, please do not take this as a spam), are Cleveland Ta3,4,5, Ben Hogan Apex Edge, Ping Karsten irons, Adams Idea irons, Titleist DTR 1990, dci 962.

I ask about these because is the budget I can afford because shipping costs to Uruguay are expensive. I also am waiting for an offer of Ping i3s. There are thousands of messages about some of those irons, but I wanted a personalized response taking into considerations all the options I saw with affordable prices and affordable shipping rates.

Post edited by Rodoalo on

Comments

  • mocokidmocokid Members Posts: 1,816 ✭✭

    Get a forged CAVITY back with a modestly over size face, like the BH Apex Edge or the Mizuno 23/25. I think for the beginner Titleist tour irons are a BIG mistake. An old set of Ping Eye2's would also be excellent, also the Tommy Armour 845 you mention, though they are not forged, also good are the Cleveland TA7s. Ping I3s should be fine also.

  • RodoaloRodoalo Members Posts: 69 ✭✭
    edited Jun 19, 2019 5:19pm #3

    @mocokid said:
    Get a forged CAVITY back with a modestly over size face, like the BH Apex Edge or the Mizuno 23/25. I think for the beginner Titleist tour irons are a BIG mistake. An old set of Ping Eye2's would also be excellent, also the Tommy Armour 845 you mention, though they are not forged, also good are the Cleveland TA7s. Ping I3s should be fine also.

    Thanks! My queries with Ping Eyes 2 were that I read that the shaft that comes with them usually is difficult to swing. I am a young guy, 23 years old, 5 8' of height, and I'm still learning to hit the ball. I also read that they may dig a little bit into the ground and in case you hit fat shots (like I do lol) could be difficult.
    I really like the Tommy Armours, never gamed them but they seem a classic! I wondered if their heads were also tiny (I do not think they're tinier than the titleist tour model lol!).

  • mocokidmocokid Members Posts: 1,816 ✭✭
    edited Jun 19, 2019 5:33pm #4

    There's a thread in the classic forum about the Tommy Armour 845 check it out. They are not small as I recall, but there are a couple of models including an oversize head. I think the regular size head would be OK as it has some offset, and cavity back.
    https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1395060/how-bout-the-tommy-armour-silver-scot-845s/p1

  • JShawJShaw Members Posts: 341 ✭✭

    Other good and inexpensive options would be Lynx Parallax or Black Cat, Titleist DCI Black or Gold, Callaway Big Bertha 1994 or 1996 models.

  • KirasdadKirasdad Kirasdad Members Posts: 747 ✭✭

    As the Titleist Tour Model irons are about as difficult a iron as there is to find solid strikes, almost anything else would be an improvement. Having said that I would throw my 2 cents whole heartedly behind the Tommy Armour 845s, the original Silver Scot design. Cheap, quite playable without being too big and clunky, its a very smart way to go. The Eye 2s are obviously a great club but they are a bit more finicky than the TA. The zz lite shaft is,not for everyone, nor is the abundant offset. It might suit you, might not. The 845 in regular flex would pretty much be fine for most golfers.

    Current bag:
    Callaway BB 43.75” 10 degrees (actual 11 degree loft)
    PING G10 4 wood 17 degrees
    Sonatec 20 deg. hybrid
    PVG component 5-PW Apollo stepless steel
    Ram Watson SW
    Acushnet Bullseye putter


  • RodoaloRodoalo Members Posts: 69 ✭✭

    @Kirasdad said:
    As the Titleist Tour Model irons are about as difficult a iron as there is to find solid strikes, almost anything else would be an improvement. Having said that I would throw my 2 cents whole heartedly behind the Tommy Armour 845s, the original Silver Scot design. Cheap, quite playable without being too big and clunky, its a very smart way to go. The Eye 2s are obviously a great club but they are a bit more finicky than the TA. The zz lite shaft is,not for everyone, nor is the abundant offset. It might suit you, might not. The 845 in regular flex would pretty much be fine for most golfers.

    I really like those ones. Nonetheless, if the weather's fine I'm having a lesson on Saturday with a pro who gave me classes previously on a group, but this time individually. Maybe then I could ask him before buying anything.

  • deejaiddeejaid Members Posts: 547 ✭✭

    I really liked the Cleveland TA5/TA7. Great clubs for a beginner and a more classic shape than the Ping Eye 2 which might make it easier to switch to something else if you decided to upgrade.

    WITB
    Cleveland Classic TC-15 driver
    Cleveland Classic TC-15 3-wood
    Cleveland Classic TC15 5-wood
    Macgregor VIP/CB-92 Combo Set 3-PW
    Macgregor LRA forged sand wedge 
    Ping bronze Anser
  • RodoaloRodoalo Members Posts: 69 ✭✭

    @deejaid said:
    I really liked the Cleveland TA5/TA7. Great clubs for a beginner and a more classic shape than the Ping Eye 2 which might make it easier to switch to something else if you decided to upgrade.

    Thanks! I think I may be buying these if the person who I know doesn't sell to me the i3s.
    I think the Cleveland TA5 must be one of the most forgiving ones from the list I mentioned, right?

  • LeoLeo99LeoLeo99 Members Posts: 4,171 ✭✭

    I'd recommend something like Callaway x-14 irons. Ping and Callaway got their start by making irons that were easier to hit.
    Those high toe Ping irons take some getting used looking down at them.

  • deejaiddeejaid Members Posts: 547 ✭✭

    @Rodoalo said:

    @deejaid said:
    I really liked the Cleveland TA5/TA7. Great clubs for a beginner and a more classic shape than the Ping Eye 2 which might make it easier to switch to something else if you decided to upgrade.

    Thanks! I think I may be buying these if the person who I know doesn't sell to me the i3s.
    I think the Cleveland TA5 must be one of the most forgiving ones from the list I mentioned, right?

    Yes, the TA5 and TA7 are both very forgiving clubs.

    WITB
    Cleveland Classic TC-15 driver
    Cleveland Classic TC-15 3-wood
    Cleveland Classic TC15 5-wood
    Macgregor VIP/CB-92 Combo Set 3-PW
    Macgregor LRA forged sand wedge 
    Ping bronze Anser
  • WrigglesWriggles Members Posts: 3,228 ✭✭

    The 845s are excellent irons. A good choice for all levels of golfers. I also play a set of Karsten 2's, from 1976. They predate the Eye series. Good irons, but a bit harder to hit, at least for me.
    Both can be bought relatively inexpensive.
    Too bad about shipping costs to Uruguay.
    Good Luck!

  • mocokidmocokid Members Posts: 1,816 ✭✭

    Good luck with lesson. If you can get the Ping I3s take them, good clubs. Almost all Pings have been well received and are forgiving.

  • RodoaloRodoalo Members Posts: 69 ✭✭

    @mocokid said:
    Good luck with lesson. If you can get the Ping I3s take them, good clubs. Almost all Pings have been well received and are forgiving.

    What makes me doubt about the pings is the color chart. I measured myself and I would be in the green category, but what happens if I play in the black standard one? Or maybe in the blue that is near me? Should the color prevent me from buying them?

  • mocokidmocokid Members Posts: 1,816 ✭✭

    they can be adjusted by 2 colors I think.

  • scruffynickscruffynick manchester, UKMembers Posts: 1,503 ✭✭

    Callaway x12 or x14 would be ideal. Great irons for all levels never mind a beginner. If you're worried about the eye2 stiffer shafts especially the zz lite... Try the zing or zing2 line with a softer shaft. Again brilliant irons

  • WrigglesWriggles Members Posts: 3,228 ✭✭

    @Rodoalo said:

    @mocokid said:
    Good luck with lesson. If you can get the Ping I3s take them, good clubs. Almost all Pings have been well received and are forgiving.

    What makes me doubt about the pings is the color chart. I measured myself and I would be in the green category, but what happens if I play in the black standard one? Or maybe in the blue that is near me? Should the color prevent me from buying them?

    I've played upright lie, and regular lie in clubs. Seems in my case, I've found no difference in playing performance. Maybe, just me, but something to think about.

  • James the Hogan FanJames the Hogan Fan Members Posts: 544 ✭✭

    If you want blades but hitable I recommend the hogan radials, with a wide sole and lower cg, but still a flashy chrome iron with sleek lines.

    Golfing in Finland!
  • scomac2002scomac2002 Inside the Starters' Hut Members Posts: 5,662 ✭✭

    @Wriggles said:

    @Rodoalo said:

    @mocokid said:
    Good luck with lesson. If you can get the Ping I3s take them, good clubs. Almost all Pings have been well received and are forgiving.

    What makes me doubt about the pings is the color chart. I measured myself and I would be in the green category, but what happens if I play in the black standard one? Or maybe in the blue that is near me? Should the color prevent me from buying them?

    I've played upright lie, and regular lie in clubs. Seems in my case, I've found no difference in playing performance. Maybe, just me, but something to think about.

    I think we adjust. I know that I've got all sorts of lie angles lying around here and with a little adaptation I can play them all. I find that it's easier to go to flatter clubs than more upright as I usually have a fair bit of trouble going from say a standard set of Hogans to an upright (yellow dot) set of Pings which is about a 3° difference. It will take several rounds to adapt.

    Your problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent!
    _____________________________________

    TM RBZ Black 12°
    Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W
    Adams Tight Lies 2.0 4H 
    Ping i25 5-PW
    Vokey SM 6 52° F Grind
    Vokey SM 6 58° S Grind
    SeeMore PTM 3 
  • RodoaloRodoalo Members Posts: 69 ✭✭

    @scomac2002 said:

    @Wriggles said:

    @Rodoalo said:

    @mocokid said:
    Good luck with lesson. If you can get the Ping I3s take them, good clubs. Almost all Pings have been well received and are forgiving.

    What makes me doubt about the pings is the color chart. I measured myself and I would be in the green category, but what happens if I play in the black standard one? Or maybe in the blue that is near me? Should the color prevent me from buying them?

    I've played upright lie, and regular lie in clubs. Seems in my case, I've found no difference in playing performance. Maybe, just me, but something to think about.

    I think we adjust. I know that I've got all sorts of lie angles lying around here and with a little adaptation I can play them all. I find that it's easier to go to flatter clubs than more upright as I usually have a fair bit of trouble going from say a standard set of Hogans to an upright (yellow dot) set of Pings which is about a 3° difference. It will take several rounds to adapt.

    @mocokid said:
    they can be adjusted by 2 colors I think.

    Well, my height is 175 cm (I believe it is 5’8”) and my measurement from wrist to floor is 90 cm. Chart says I am green but the pro told me I’d be a red or black one.

    Don’t know should I believe.

  • scomac2002scomac2002 Inside the Starters' Hut Members Posts: 5,662 ✭✭

    The chart has changed over the years. There are more variations on tighter increments now than there were during the era of the Eye 2. At 175 and 90 you're a yellow based on the current chart. You would need to confirm that with a lie board test and ballflight outdoors. That's what they did for me when I got my i25's.
    In terms of adjusting an existing set, Ping can alter the lie angles up to 4 color codes either direction which is +/-3° each way. That's a fair bit for a cast club, but they can do it.

    Your problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent!
    _____________________________________

    TM RBZ Black 12°
    Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W
    Adams Tight Lies 2.0 4H 
    Ping i25 5-PW
    Vokey SM 6 52° F Grind
    Vokey SM 6 58° S Grind
    SeeMore PTM 3 
  • RodoaloRodoalo Members Posts: 69 ✭✭

    What I was wondering is the following. I asked him about the Cleveland TA5s which is an iron they have recommended me and I told me I shall not buy this one. But I think they're forgiving according to their maltby index and they surely will be better than Titleist Tour Models.

  • RodoaloRodoalo Members Posts: 69 ✭✭

    Some other options I have are these ones (I'll show you the pics because it will be easier for me to identify them):






    Feel free to indicate which of these shall I not take into account.
    Some of them could be bought on ebay and the Wilsons would be easier for me to get since they sell them here in Uruguay.
    Thanks!

  • resnorresnor Members Posts: 462 ✭✭

    The Maxfli revolutions are very good.

  • disco111disco111 Members Posts: 1,034 ✭✭

    @Rodoalo said:

    @scomac2002 said:

    @Wriggles said:

    @Rodoalo said:

    @mocokid said:
    Good luck with lesson. If you can get the Ping I3s take them, good clubs. Almost all Pings have been well received and are forgiving.

    What makes me doubt about the pings is the color chart. I measured myself and I would be in the green category, but what happens if I play in the black standard one? Or maybe in the blue that is near me? Should the color prevent me from buying them?

    I've played upright lie, and regular lie in clubs. Seems in my case, I've found no difference in playing performance. Maybe, just me, but something to think about.

    I think we adjust. I know that I've got all sorts of lie angles lying around here and with a little adaptation I can play them all. I find that it's easier to go to flatter clubs than more upright as I usually have a fair bit of trouble going from say a standard set of Hogans to an upright (yellow dot) set of Pings which is about a 3° difference. It will take several rounds to adapt.

    @mocokid said:
    they can be adjusted by 2 colors I think.

    Well, my height is 175 cm (I believe it is 5’8”) and my measurement from wrist to floor is 90 cm. Chart says I am green but the pro told me I’d be a red or black one.

    Don’t know should I believe.

    If the pro actually watched you swing and hit balls, then go with the pro. A static fitting like the one you had, just measurements, don't take into consideration how you address and swing the club.

  • Sonja HenieSonja Henie Members Posts: 175 ✭✭

    The Ping chart says I should be on the extreme end of upright but I play the black dots fine. And when I do the dynamic lie angle test of drawing a vertical line on the ball it shows that blacks are very close to a good fit (maybe I need 1 degree more upright but not 4 degrees more like the chart shows).

    Ping G400 Max, Hzrdus Black 6.5
    Ping G400 3 Wood 14.5*
    Ping G400 3H 19* or Srixon ZU65 19*
    Srixon Z545 (4-5), Srixon Z765 (6-7), Srixon Z945 (8-PW)
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 52 & 58
    Odyssey O-Works 7S
    Srixon Z Star XV

  • RodoaloRodoalo Members Posts: 69 ✭✭

    Here’s the end of the story! Got these yesterday!
    Missing 7 iron but will find one soon lol!

  • buckeyeflbuckeyefl Members Posts: 5,824 ✭✭
  • jplroperjplroper Members Posts: 452 ✭✭

    The Ping i3 o-size are great irons. I also really liked their sandwedge and lob wedge.

Sign In or Register to comment.