Grips with a side of Rib

monkeyboymonkeyboy Lefty Boomers Posts: 707 ✭✭

Looking to rib my next grips. Got a chance to hold the Golf Pride MCC/4 Align today. Honestly - I could not feel a **** thing as it is a flush strip on the underside of the grip.
Ordered a few Pure grips and the Golfworks Rib inserts that glue onto the shaft - this should provide a little alignment bulge. Will give it a test, if not pronounced enough, may try a zip tie.
I did hold a SuperStroke grip that had more of a stitched seam vs a rib - felt pretty good. I have a putter grip from them and like the stitched seam feel...not sure if I am crazy about the normal grip material though.
The experiment begins...

Driver (9.0) - Cobra F9 Aldila Rogue Silver 70 S, 44.5"
Wood (15) - Exotics EX10 Aldila Rougue Silver 70 S
Driving Iron (20) - Srixon U65 Project X 5.5
Irons (5-6) - Srixon Z565 Project X 5.5
Irons (7-P) - Srixon Z765 Project X 5.5
Wedges - Vokey SM-7 Jet Black / 50.08 F / 54.08 M / 58.08 M DG S300
Putter - Gauge Design GAA-8
Ball - Snell MTB-x

Comments

• thevaporzthevaporz Members Posts: 3,000 ✭✭
    edited Jun 20, 2019 12:58am #2

Some players have installed them rib up on their irons, giving a different feel to try too. I've tried rib down and rib up, just depends what feels best for you. Some guys align them with the face open or closed. There are lots of ways to set them and I'd suggest testing different rib orientations on one club at a time and see how it feels on the range. Here are Lamkin Crossline ribbed .580 for ~$5/grip. https://www.lamkingrips.com/shop/crossline-golf-grips.html

• hurley999shurley999s Members Posts: 195 ✭✭

I recently got a 2i off a mini tour player that had a TV Cord with the biggest rib I’ve ever seen in it and I loved it. I’m with you on the Align - I don’t feel a thing with those.

Anyway the guy said he uses thin pieces of metal that are cut off from ceiling hangers. They’re then taped, then taped to the shaft.

Gets my hands in the right spot every time.

• jas904jas904 Members Posts: 1,392 ✭✭

I make my own by cutting the box end off of a nylon zip tie. And I agree about the Align, I don’t even know it’s there.

TaylorMade M4 8.5, HZRDUS Yellow 65
    TaylorMade M3 15, HZRDUS Black 75
    Callaway XR Pro 20, Project X LZ
    Srixon Z765 4-PW, Steelfiber 110
    Titleist SM6 50F Steelfiber 110, SM7 56S Steelfiber 110, SM7 60D Steelfiber 110
    Ping Ketsch Armlock
  • coopscoops Members Posts: 1,221 ✭✭

@monkeyboy said:
    Looking to rib my next grips. Got a chance to hold the Golf Pride MCC/4 Align today. Honestly - I could not feel a **** thing as it is a flush strip on the underside of the grip.
    Ordered a few Pure grips and the Golfworks Rib inserts that glue onto the shaft - this should provide a little alignment bulge. Will give it a test, if not pronounced enough, may try a zip tie.
    I did hold a SuperStroke grip that had more of a stitched seam vs a rib - felt pretty good. I have a putter grip from them and like the stitched seam feel...not sure if I am crazy about the normal grip material though.
    The experiment begins...

If you like a stitched seam then a leather Bestgrip microperf is what you seek... and you can stop buying gloves too.

I use the Bestgrips with the thinnest ziptie as a rib - and rib and stitch seam 'up' so it sits in the gap between left thumb and forefinger. Those Golfworks rib jobbies should work best - and be golf 'legal' if that concerns you.

• smashdnsmashdn Let's cut them trees down. Members Posts: 1,160 ✭✭

Back in the day, old metal coat hanger wire. If you are careful it can be slid under the grip already on the club.

• monkeyboymonkeyboy Lefty Boomers Posts: 707 ✭✭

Just installed the GolfWorks rib (bottom location) and a Pure grip on 2 clubs. All pretty easy. I added a layer of blue painters tape under the grip portion (mostly to keep the rib in place, but I think it would be fine without it as there is adhesive on the back of the rib. Then I added 3 layers of tape under my bottom hand location. Used about 50 psi in short bursts, was a bit more difficult then I expected, but likely due to the rib and extra buildup tape. I thought I would like the DTX better but I think I prefer the wrap grip. Need to hit some balls before I decide. The rib is very hardly noticeable, but will see after a few shots. Now to think about what color grips...black is too common, I think I want white - not sure if I want it to stand out so much, maybe the grey.

Driver (9.0) - Cobra F9 Aldila Rogue Silver 70 S, 44.5"
    Wood (15) - Exotics EX10 Aldila Rougue Silver 70 S
    Driving Iron (20) - Srixon U65 Project X 5.5
    Irons (5-6) - Srixon Z565 Project X 5.5
    Irons (7-P) - Srixon Z765 Project X 5.5
    Wedges - Vokey SM-7 Jet Black / 50.08 F / 54.08 M / 58.08 M DG S300
    Putter - Gauge Design GAA-8
    Ball - Snell MTB-x