***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION

Last year, in an effort to improve the capability of our forums, we switched to new software. We expected tremendous scalability and rapid customization that would significantly improve each Member's experience across multiple devices and integrate flawlessly with social media platforms.

Unfortunately, after a significant capital expense, we have decided that the length of time and the additional cost to reach our goals make this enterprise untenable.

Thus, we have made the difficult decision to transition the forums to our original software platform. We’re excited that, in the nearly two years since we began the process of our most recent switch, our original platform has been upgraded significantly, and we are confident that the reversion will not only provide the stability that we desperately needed prior to our last move but will also return to the Membership the high level of customization that made our online community so great. We have also added technical resources to the GolfWRX staff that will allow us to build custom modules and modifications that we are confident will take the forums to the next level.

We remain the world's largest online golf community, and we still hold true to our core values and mission statement as written in 2005. Bearing both of those elements in mind, being the best and offering our Members a platform that is world-class are both requirements, not options, and it is that spirit that has motivated this decision.

So, please pardon our mess over the next five days or so while we transition the forums.

A few important notes: Current content will be accessible during that time, but the forums will be READ ONLY, and you will not be able to start new threads or reply to posts. Personal Messaging is enabled but PMs sent/received from the time the board was frozen will not carry over. We know this is inconvenient, and we apologize, and we greatly appreciate GolfWRXers bearing with us through the transition.

We are very excited about starting this next chapter for GolfWRX and getting back to the high-quality Member experience we all expect as soon as possible.

Honma TW-X Irons

jbhawx ·  
jbhawxjbhawx Members  505WRX Points: 46Posts: 505 Bunkers

Has anyone got their hands on and tried the new TW-X Irons (not the TW-U version)? I know they just hit stores on the 17th, so it may still be early. BTW, this is one set of irons from a Japanese brand that isn't sold in Japan (not yet anyways) so I am unable to try them out in person. I'm looking to see how they compare to TW747V and/or TW747P (or even the TW747Vx, which I don't think is available in the states).

Thanks for the inputs

Posted:
[font=times new roman,times,serif]TaylorMade 430cc R15 TP (12°) w/43.5" Fujikura Speeder 757 TS
TaylorMade R15 3HL TP (17°) w/42.5" Fujikura Speeder 757 TS
TaylorMade R15 4H TP (21°) w/Fujikura Speeder 869 TS
Snakeyes TC-01 4-9
Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 (46°, 50°, 54°, 58°)
Scotty Cameron GOLO 5[/font]

Comments

• Bimmer1Bimmer1 Members  2551WRX Points: 102Posts: 2,551 Titanium Tees

I ordered the single 3 iron (18 degree loft) since it’s cheaper than a TW-U. I received it yesterday. They aren’t stamped “made in Japan” but have a sticker/label that says “made in Japan”. Hopefully I can hit the 3 iron next week.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • Kingcat990Kingcat990 European Tailored Golf Socks Members  4039WRX Points: 353Posts: 4,039 Titanium Tees

I was on the fence over the weekend and came close to purchasing a set to try. Holding off until I see that offset in person. But, they have grasped my attention. Hoping someone comes in and gives a straight forward review.

Posted:
    Wyoming Cowboys
  • ginringinrin Members  107WRX Points: 71Posts: 107 Fairways

Anyone see these irons? Could you please comment on your impressions. Thx

Posted:
  • Kingcat990Kingcat990 European Tailored Golf Socks Members  4039WRX Points: 353Posts: 4,039 Titanium Tees

They're nice. They have a hot face. The feel is what you would expect from Honma. The Rose Protos feel better. They don't have the noticeable "clicky" sound you would get from hollow heads

Posted:
    Wyoming Cowboys
  • Munich77Munich77 Members  397WRX Points: 119Posts: 397 Greens

They look interesting. Intriguing for some like myself who is looking to buy new irons.

Posted:
  • tmax77tmax77 Members  1061WRX Points: 112Posts: 1,061 Platinum Tees

I have a set at work...have had a few different people try them..to a man everyone that has hit them loves them...feel free to ask me any questions you choose about them..

Posted:
    Under construction....

Advertisement
  • Munich77Munich77 Members  397WRX Points: 119Posts: 397 Greens

How do they compare to other distance iron - P790s. CF19s and the like :)?

Posted:
  • tmax77tmax77 Members  1061WRX Points: 112Posts: 1,061 Platinum Tees

Compare very favorably distance wise to 790...haven’t seen them head to head with apex cf ‘19 yet...

Posted:
    Under construction....
  • ginringinrin Members  107WRX Points: 71Posts: 107 Fairways

Have you done a comparison to the TW747P irons? Looks wise goes the X look to have more offset and larger head? Thx

Posted:
  • KukKuk Members  182WRX Points: 86Posts: 182 Fairways

Does anyone has in hand pictures?

Posted:
  • NailedItNailedIt Members  128WRX Points: 110Handicap: 4.4Posts: 128 Fairways

I stopped by my local PGASS today and took a look at them. They have a lot of offset and very wide souls all the way through the set. Not my cup of tea but might be nice in the long irons. The Rose protos on the other hand are beautiful looking irons with a smallish head and very little offset. I hit the 747v irons and those too look great and feel even better to me.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • KukKuk Members  182WRX Points: 86Posts: 182 Fairways

On -, @NailedIt said:

I stopped by my local PGASS today and took a look at them. They have a lot of offset and very wide souls all the way through the set. Not my cup of tea but might be nice in the long irons. The Rose protos on the other hand are beautiful looking irons with a smallish head and very little offset. I hit the 747v irons and those too look great and feel even better to me.

Thanks for the info. I thought the head size and offset are somewhat close to i500 or p790. It sounds like Tw-x is more of game improvement iron

Posted:
  • NailedItNailedIt Members  128WRX Points: 110Handicap: 4.4Posts: 128 Fairways

Yeah, imo it's not even close to the i500 or 790. I would say closer to g410 but I haven't actually compared measurements just going off eye test. But definitely game improvement category.

Posted:
  • longbal30longbal30 Members  2526WRX Points: 114Posts: 2,526 Titanium Tees

Hit them.today. Nooooo way anything like g400 irons. Shorter blade length than p790, more like p760. Top line closer to p790 maybe a hair thinner, offset wasn't that bad. I hit the 7 iron and 4 iron and I play 965 srixons. I wouldn't have any issue playing these 3-7, and 8-p in rose protos.

Posted:
    TITLEIST TS3 8.5 T1100
    Callaway XR Pro 15* Fairway
    Taylormade GAPR 2
    Honma 737V 4-pw
    Titleist SM6 52/58
    Machine M20 Converter Aluminum Bronze
    Scotty Newport Select
  • mtex22mtex22 San Diego, CAMembers  2356WRX Points: 238Posts: 2,356 BST Banned

On -, @**** said:

On -, @NailedIt said:

Thanks for the info. I thought the head size and offset are somewhat close to i500 or p790. It sounds like Tw-x is more of game improvement iron

I saw these in person the other day and was very impressed with the looks. Very compact blade length and minimal offset. Definitely smaller overall profile than the Mizuno HMB and P790. I will try and hit them soon and snap pics

Posted:
    TITLEIST TS3 10.5 Tour Issue - Diamana BF 
    CALLAWAY Epic Flash SZ Tour Issue 15.8 - UST Lin-Q Purple 
    CALLAWAY APEX 20 - Matrix Altus 
    BRIDGESTONE Tour B X-Hi - 22 KBS Tour Hybrid Proto
    NEW LEVEL 902 5-PW - KBS Tour
    VOKEY SM7 Raw Black 50/54/58 - Hi Rev 2.0
    ODYSSEY Trihot #1

On -, @mtex22 said:

On -, @**** said:

On -, @NailedIt said:

I saw these in person the other day and was very impressed with the looks. Very compact blade length and minimal offset. Definitely smaller overall profile than the Mizuno HMB and P790. I will try and hit them soon and snap pics

Dang. The HMB's are that big huh? I was curious. May have to plunge on the OnOff Kuro 2019 irons.

Posted:
    Wyoming Cowboys

Advertisement
  • mtex22mtex22 San Diego, CAMembers  2356WRX Points: 238Posts: 2,356 BST Banned

On -, @Kingcat990 said:

On -, @mtex22 said:

On -, @**** said:

On -, @NailedIt said:

Dang. The HMB's are that big huh? I was curious. May have to plunge on the OnOff Kuro 2019 irons.

No blade length is short just a taller iron but all I saw in person was the 7 iron demo

Posted:
    TITLEIST TS3 10.5 Tour Issue - Diamana BF 
    CALLAWAY Epic Flash SZ Tour Issue 15.8 - UST Lin-Q Purple 
    CALLAWAY APEX 20 - Matrix Altus 
    BRIDGESTONE Tour B X-Hi - 22 KBS Tour Hybrid Proto
    NEW LEVEL 902 5-PW - KBS Tour
    VOKEY SM7 Raw Black 50/54/58 - Hi Rev 2.0
    ODYSSEY Trihot #1
  • Frisco KidFrisco Kid Members  296WRX Points: 172Posts: 296 Greens

I just got a set and I think they’re great clubs. Haven’t hit them in a launch monitor but on the range was hitting 7 iron 160-170 in a very light tail wind (usual is 150). The feel to me is a tad clicky, not the soft forged feel I get from my Maltby DBMs or other forged clubs I’ve had but still solid and powerful. They’re smaller than I thought they’d be and other than the wider soles, size up similarly to my DBMs. Bonus is they look great in the bag:

Here are some comps to my Maltby 7 iron:

Posted:
    Taylormade SIM MAX driver 10.5 Ventus R
    Taylormade SIM MAX 3w 15 Ventus R
    Taylormade SIM MAX 5w 18 Ventus R
    Taylormade SIM MAX 4h 22 Ventus R
    PXG 0211 5-LW
    Taylormade Spider X Chalk
    OUUL Gator cart bag
  • kennyjkennyj Validating - Unconfirmed, Members  1WRX Points: 0Posts: 1 Starters

Just got a set. 4-10. Very impressed with the performance of these irons. Hit the 7 iron 160-165 yards. Very happy with them. Two rounds so far with them. 77 and a 78. Solid performance. I would recommend these irons.

Posted:
  • No_Catchy_NicknameNo_Catchy_Nickname Kyushu,_JapanMembers  6328WRX Points: 1,584Handicap: mePosts: 6,328 Titanium Tees

On -, @Frisco Kid said:

I just got a set and I think they’re great clubs. Haven’t hit them in a launch monitor but on the range was hitting 7 iron 160-170 in a very light tail wind (usual is 150). The feel to me is a tad clicky, not the soft forged feel I get from my Maltby DBMs or other forged clubs I’ve had but still solid and powerful. They’re smaller than I thought they’d be and other than the wider soles, size up similarly to my DBMs. Bonus is they look great in the bag:

Black heads on chrome shafts and chrome heads on black shafts...is this to preserve the yin-yang balance in your golf clubs? ;)

Posted:
    Driver: Ping G400 Tour 65S
    4w: TaylorMade R9 stock Fujikura Motore X flex
    7w TaylorMade V-steel, Quadra Fire Express RB 6SX
    Hybrid: RomaRo iBrid 23* Attas EZ 85S
    Irons (4i-PW): Mizuno MP4 Attas 115X 4-PW (+0.5")
    Wedges: Cleveland RTX4 Forged 52* and 58*, DGS400 (both at 35.5")
    Putter: Mac Jack Nicklaus Muirfield/Taylormade TPA XVIII/Wilson 8802

Old stuff: Tons of persimmon and older irons. 

On -, @Frisco Kid said:

Black heads on chrome shafts and chrome heads on black shafts...is this to preserve the yin-yang balance in your golf clubs? ;)

Applies to bags as well...

Posted:
    PXG 0211 5-LW
    OUUL Gator cart bag

Advertisement

Played my first round with the TW X irons and shot a 79 (12 handicap). Performed well and they felt great. They’re at least a full club longer than my Maltby DBMs and about a half club longer than my Ping i200s...the Vizard graphite shafts are 85 grams and much lighter than what I’m used to but I’m quickly getting used to them. Hit some thin shots and some off the toe but they got good distance and weren’t penalizing so high marks for forgiveness. If I have any nitpicks in the clubs it would be they are very soft so they are already showing signs of bag chatter. I ended up ordering covers for them and it wasn’t a nuisance or time killer using them. Don’t know that I’d have purchased them at full retail of $1299 but a solid buy for what I got them for at under $800.

Posted:
    PXG 0211 5-LW
    OUUL Gator cart bag
  • flushemflushem Members  2158WRX Points: 449Handicap: 11.5Posts: 2,158 Platinum Tees

On -, @Frisco Kid said:

Played my first round with the TW X irons and shot a 79 (12 handicap). Performed well and they felt great. They’re at least a full club longer than my Maltby DBMs and about a half club longer than my Ping i200s...the Vizard graphite shafts are 85 grams and much lighter than what I’m used to but I’m quickly getting used to them. Hit some thin shots and some off the toe but they got good distance and weren’t penalizing so high marks for forgiveness. If I have any nitpicks in the clubs it would be they are very soft so they are already showing signs of bag chatter. I ended up ordering covers for them and it wasn’t a nuisance or time killer using them. Don’t know that I’d have purchased them at full retail of $1299 but a solid buy for what I got them for at under $800.

Good thinking. I dont care what others say. I always get headcovers for forged irons for nice resale value in future. If you keep them well, you will be able to sell for what you paid for.

Posted:
  • JDMRN81JDMRN81 PAMembers  646WRX Points: 160Handicap: Happy GilmorePosts: 646 Golden Tee

How's everybody liking their TW X irons after a few months of playing? I saw these for the first time today at GG and hit them. Man do they perform well (on simulator)! I also hit and compared to the T200's, P790's, and HMB's. I'd say they're very simular in performance to the HMB's and P790's. Three things I did not care for about them though.......huge soles, moderate offset and topline. From the back/front they look great.

Posted:
    PXG 0811x Proto 9* AD VR-6x
    PXG 0341x Gen 2 16* AD VR-7x
    Ping iblades 4-PW PX LZ 6.0
    Ping Glide 3.0 50/54/58 DG TI
    Evnroll ER2cs
    Callaway Chrome Soft Truvis Stars and Stripes
  • Lefty431Lefty431 Members  1145WRX Points: 140Posts: 1,145 Platinum Tees

Are these available in lefty? I seen the TXG review and Matt did have a lefty version, but no retailer offers lefty option?

Posted:
    Driver: 9* Callaway Rogue sub zero w/ hzrdus yellow 6.5
    3w: 15* Callaway epic w/ aldila rogue 110 s flex
    Hybrid: 19* Mizuno Jpx 900 w/ fujikura s flex
    DI:  Adams dhy 21* w/ aldilla green S flex
    Irons: Mizuno mp 18 sc 5-pw w/ Nippon modus 3 120x
    Wedges: Vokey sm7 raw 50 F, 55 S, 60 M w/ dynamic gold black s400
    Putter: Scotty Cameron newport 3 w/ super stroke
  • JDMRN81JDMRN81 PAMembers  646WRX Points: 160Handicap: Happy GilmorePosts: 646 Golden Tee
    Posted:
    PXG 0811x Proto 9* AD VR-6x
    PXG 0341x Gen 2 16* AD VR-7x
    Ping iblades 4-PW PX LZ 6.0
    Ping Glide 3.0 50/54/58 DG TI
    Evnroll ER2cs
    Callaway Chrome Soft Truvis Stars and Stripes

Advertisement

Nvrmind.. they do offer just don’t have modus 120 in stock!! That being said.. any updates from guys playing these! I’m intrigued.. currently play 790/770 combo set! Comparisons wanted!

Posted:
  • MagicMan79MagicMan79 Members  10WRX Points: 22Handicap: 3Posts: 10 Bunkers

Curious if anyone has happened to have removed any of the weights in the heads? I have read they are tungsten, and most places say they are steel. Would love to see one removed from the head or know what they weigh

Posted:

TM SIM 8* - Ventus Black 6x
    TM M2 Tour - 15* 3W - Atmos Blue Tour Spec 7x
    Mizuno HMB 2 iron - Aldila Tour Green
    Srixon z585 4 & 5 iron | z785 6-PW, Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 - TX
    JAWS 50/54/59
    Lajosi custom flatstick
    Srixon Z-Star XV - yellow

• mr3puttzmr3puttz Members  46WRX Points: 46Posts: 46 Bunkers

Did a little digging on the sites for hollow body offsets 7I's im mm

Honma 3.2

790's 2.7

HMB 3.2

i500 2.28

Cobra 3.0

Onoff couldnt find

for fun Apex 3.0 Apex pro 2.8

Posted:

Advertisement

Bump...

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.