Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Honma TW-X Irons

jbhawxjbhawx Members Posts: 505 ✭✭

Has anyone got their hands on and tried the new TW-X Irons (not the TW-U version)? I know they just hit stores on the 17th, so it may still be early. BTW, this is one set of irons from a Japanese brand that isn't sold in Japan (not yet anyways) so I am unable to try them out in person. I'm looking to see how they compare to TW747V and/or TW747P (or even the TW747Vx, which I don't think is available in the states).

Thanks for the inputs

[font=times new roman,times,serif]TaylorMade 430cc R15 TP (12°) w/43.5" Fujikura Speeder 757 TS
TaylorMade R15 3HL TP (17°) w/42.5" Fujikura Speeder 757 TS
TaylorMade R15 4H TP (21°) w/Fujikura Speeder 869 TS
Snakeyes TC-01 4-9
Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 (46°, 50°, 54°, 58°)
Scotty Cameron GOLO 5[/font]

Comments

• Bimmer1Bimmer1 Members Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I ordered the single 3 iron (18 degree loft) since it’s cheaper than a TW-U. I received it yesterday. They aren’t stamped “made in Japan” but have a sticker/label that says “made in Japan”. Hopefully I can hit the 3 iron next week.

• Kingcat990Kingcat990 European Tailored Golf Socks Members Posts: 3,980 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I was on the fence over the weekend and came close to purchasing a set to try. Holding off until I see that offset in person. But, they have grasped my attention. Hoping someone comes in and gives a straight forward review.

Wyoming Cowboys
  • ginringinrin Members Posts: 101 ✭✭✭

Anyone see these irons? Could you please comment on your impressions. Thx

• Kingcat990Kingcat990 European Tailored Golf Socks Members Posts: 3,980 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

They're nice. They have a hot face. The feel is what you would expect from Honma. The Rose Protos feel better. They don't have the noticeable "clicky" sound you would get from hollow heads

Wyoming Cowboys
  • Munich77Munich77 Members Posts: 311 ✭✭✭✭

They look interesting. Intriguing for some like myself who is looking to buy new irons.

• tmax77tmax77 Members Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I have a set at work...have had a few different people try them..to a man everyone that has hit them loves them...feel free to ask me any questions you choose about them..

Under construction....
  • Munich77Munich77 Members Posts: 311 ✭✭✭✭

How do they compare to other distance iron - P790s. CF19s and the like :)?

• tmax77tmax77 Members Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Compare very favorably distance wise to 790...haven’t seen them head to head with apex cf ‘19 yet...

Under construction....
  • ginringinrin Members Posts: 101 ✭✭✭

Have you done a comparison to the TW747P irons? Looks wise goes the X look to have more offset and larger head? Thx

• KukKuk Members Posts: 176 ✭✭✭

Does anyone has in hand pictures?

• NailedItNailedIt Members Posts: 77 ✭✭✭

I stopped by my local PGASS today and took a look at them. They have a lot of offset and very wide souls all the way through the set. Not my cup of tea but might be nice in the long irons. The Rose protos on the other hand are beautiful looking irons with a smallish head and very little offset. I hit the 747v irons and those too look great and feel even better to me.

• KukKuk Members Posts: 176 ✭✭✭

@NailedIt said:
    I stopped by my local PGASS today and took a look at them. They have a lot of offset and very wide souls all the way through the set. Not my cup of tea but might be nice in the long irons. The Rose protos on the other hand are beautiful looking irons with a smallish head and very little offset. I hit the 747v irons and those too look great and feel even better to me.

Thanks for the info. I thought the head size and offset are somewhat close to i500 or p790. It sounds like Tw-x is more of game improvement iron

• NailedItNailedIt Members Posts: 77 ✭✭✭

Yeah, imo it's not even close to the i500 or 790. I would say closer to g410 but I haven't actually compared measurements just going off eye test. But definitely game improvement category.

• longbal30longbal30 Members Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hit them.today. Nooooo way anything like g400 irons. Shorter blade length than p790, more like p760. Top line closer to p790 maybe a hair thinner, offset wasn't that bad. I hit the 7 iron and 4 iron and I play 965 srixons. I wouldn't have any issue playing these 3-7, and 8-p in rose protos.

TITLEIST TS3 8.5 T1100
    Callaway XR Pro 15* Fairway
    Taylormade GAPR 2
    Honma 737V 4-pw
    Titleist SM6 52/58
    Machine M20 Converter Aluminum Bronze
    Scotty Newport Select
  • mtex22mtex22 San Diego, CAClubWRX Posts: 2,222 BST Banned

@**** said:

@NailedIt said:

Thanks for the info. I thought the head size and offset are somewhat close to i500 or p790. It sounds like Tw-x is more of game improvement iron

I saw these in person the other day and was very impressed with the looks. Very compact blade length and minimal offset. Definitely smaller overall profile than the Mizuno HMB and P790. I will try and hit them soon and snap pics

HONMA TW747 460 10.5 - Vizard FD 60
    HONMA TW747 15 - Vizard 70
    HONMA TW747 19 - Vizard 80
    HONMA TW-U 4 - Nippon 950 HT
    HONMA TW747V 5-PW - Modus 105
    TAYLORMADE Milled Grind Black 50/54/58 - Modus 115 Wedge Black
    ODYSSEY Trihot #1

@mtex22 said:

@**** said:

@NailedIt said:

I saw these in person the other day and was very impressed with the looks. Very compact blade length and minimal offset. Definitely smaller overall profile than the Mizuno HMB and P790. I will try and hit them soon and snap pics

Dang. The HMB's are that big huh? I was curious. May have to plunge on the OnOff Kuro 2019 irons.

Wyoming Cowboys
  • mtex22mtex22 San Diego, CAClubWRX Posts: 2,222 BST Banned

@Kingcat990 said:

@mtex22 said:

@**** said:

@NailedIt said:

Dang. The HMB's are that big huh? I was curious. May have to plunge on the OnOff Kuro 2019 irons.

No blade length is short just a taller iron but all I saw in person was the 7 iron demo

HONMA TW747 460 10.5 - Vizard FD 60
    HONMA TW747 15 - Vizard 70
    HONMA TW747 19 - Vizard 80
    HONMA TW-U 4 - Nippon 950 HT
    HONMA TW747V 5-PW - Modus 105
    TAYLORMADE Milled Grind Black 50/54/58 - Modus 115 Wedge Black
    ODYSSEY Trihot #1
  • Frisco KidFrisco Kid Members Posts: 191 ✭✭✭
    edited Today @ 6:17pm #19

I just got a set and I think they’re great clubs. Haven’t hit them in a launch monitor but on the range was hitting 7 iron 160-170 in a very light tail wind (usual is 150). The feel to me is a tad clicky, not the soft forged feel I get from my Maltby DBMs or other forged clubs I’ve had but still solid and powerful. They’re smaller than I thought they’d be and other than the wider soles, size up similarly to my DBMs. Bonus is they look great in the bag:

Here are some comps to my Maltby 7 iron:

Taylormade M4 Driver Atmos R
    Taylormade M4 3HL Atmos R
    Taylormade M4 5 lFW Atmos R
    Taylormade M3 4H Tensei Blue R
    Maltby DBM 5-G TT Score Stiff
    Maltby 56, 62
    Odyssey O Works 2
    OUUL Gator cart bag

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji