GIVEAWAY: PING Heppler Anser 2 Putter- ENTER HERE, Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 3W - ENTER HERE.

This is what scratch golf sounds like

rich_s2 ·  
rich_s2rich_s2 wisconsinMembers  1022WRX Points: 800Handicap: 1.6Posts: 1,022 Platinum Tees

Went to Seattle for work. Thought I would take the clubs. Been playing some of the best golf of my life. Got to the hotel and looked up some nearby courses. Settled on Jackson Park and gave them a call. When I booked the tee time I mentioned it would be great if I could get into a money game. The gal laughed and said sure.

Got to the course a little early and got in a great warm up. I was on, it was a great session. Was on the first tee looking around when this dude just walks up, looks me right in the eye and says "how about a grand". He was mid 20's. Stuck his tee in the ground and ripped a driver well over 300 down the middle. This is going to sound crazy but he did not tee up at the markers, he was as far back as you could be. I was so confused as to what was happening I just said ok. As I teed my ball, he just stared me in the eyes. Hit a nice drive and we were off.

Now this first hole is a par 5. I take a 4 iron and land it short of the green. I drive up to this guys ball and introduce myself. He said he was not interested in my name and was there to play golf. He takes what looks like a 8 iron and hits this high booming draw into a back left pin. The sound it made off the club was like nothing I had ever heard. After the shot he looked me square in the eyes and said "that is what scratch golf sounds like".

By the 5th hole we had spectators. The sound of his irons drew them in like the Pied Piper. I was hanging in there but deep down I knew I could not compete. I heard him mumble a few times about how it took Tiger until he was 15 to beat his dad. After driving the green on 10 with his 4 iron he looked at the gallery and said "let's see Phil do that".

Countless times I would give him a putt and instead of taking it, he would stare at me while he putted it into the hole. This was a special man, a man you only meet once in your lifetime. I have played with a lot of insanely good golfers but this was a man of legend.

Lots of things happened between the 10th and 18th hole. He hit a squirrel with his tee shot but brought it back to life with the touch of his pitching wedge. He hit a 260 yard 3i out of some deep rough 30 yards over the green but spun it back to 5'. Several times he would hit into the group ahead of us but said "don't worry, they are like 20 cappers".

When the dust had settled I opened my wallet. I could not even form words to speak. He grabbed my trembling hands, took my wallet and hugged me. As we hugged he put my wallet into my back pocket. All I could muster was "please...just...tell me your name...". "You and the rest of the world will know soon enough" he said. As he walked off the course I looked at the people watching. "We don't know who he is either so we just call him Scott Jones".

If you are ever in the seattle area, DO NOT ask for a money game. Time for me to take up knitting.

Posted:
Post edited by rich_s2 on

Comments

• GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • DpavsDpavs OverWRX'ed MichiganClubWRX  3927WRX Points: 564Posts: 3,927 ClubWRX

I don't know but if flowed nice, didn't it? lol

Posted:

Advertisement
  • ZipinZZipinZ Sylvan Lake, Alberta & Palm Springs Ca.Members  1085WRX Points: 238Handicap: 11Posts: 1,085 Platinum Tees

Was hoping to see a selfie of that moment you shared

Posted:
    Ping G400 Driver - Tensei Pro Orange 60 or Tour Ad Di6 Stiff
    Ping G400 14.5* 3 Wood - Tour Ad Di8-S
    Ping G410 4/22* HYB -Tensei Pro Orange 80S Hybrid
    Ping G410 3/19* HYB -Tour AD Di-85S Hybrid
    Titleist 718 AP2 5-9i - Steelfiber i95S
    Titleist SM6 Steelfiber i110S - 46-50-56-60
    Scotty Cameron Studio Select Laguna
    Ping DLX Cart Bag -  V1 Sport Push Cart
    Garmin Approach G80

• KBNYYKBNYY Members  636WRX Points: 87Posts: 636 Golden Tee

What did you expect? Coach1984 was on the bag...tune up for Augusta no doubt.

Posted:
  • MooJerseyMooJersey MarylandMembers  602WRX Points: 137Handicap: 15.4Posts: 602 Golden Tee

A grand on a money game with a guy you never met... right....

Posted:
    Driver = Titleist TS2
    4W = Titleist TS2 (16.5*)
    7W = Titleist 917F2 (21*)
    Titleist T100 4-PW
    Cleveland RTX-4
    (50.08 Mid, 56.10 High, 60.5 Low)
    Bettinardi Queen Bee #6

• sekrahsekrah Members  898WRX Points: 155Posts: 898 Golden Tee

If he did that without a pro caddy giving him yardages that is freaking impressive.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • OleVirginiaOleVirginia Members  140WRX Points: 108Handicap: 3Posts: 140 Fairways

I loved every word of it!

TBM

Posted:
  • lookylookitzadamlookylookitzadam SoCalMembers  649WRX Points: 235Handicap: 2.7Posts: 649 Golden Tee

The man. The myth. The legend.

Posted:
  • rich_s2rich_s2 wisconsinMembers  1022WRX Points: 800Handicap: 1.6Posts: 1,022 Platinum Tees

On -, @DavePelz4 said:

I'm glad you enjoyed our round together.

LOL, love it :P

Posted:

Advertisement
  • ctsgolfctsgolf Members  186WRX Points: 145Handicap: 5Posts: 186 Fairways

Nice one! Had me laughing a few times.

Posted:
    Taylormade M1  Speeder 661 Evo
    Ping G  Aldila NV 75s
    Titleist T-MB 20°  DG S400
    Titleist 695CB  DG S300 (4-PW)
    Callaway MD Forged  Recoil 125 F4
    Miura  KM-006  

• FergusonFerguson Members  5925WRX Points: 3,380Handicap: 7.0Posts: 5,925 Titanium Tees

**Bagger Vance VIII, The Sound of Scratch **

Posted:
  • Edaw68Edaw68 Members  1641WRX Points: 264Handicap: 5Posts: 1,641 Platinum Tees

Been a few years since Jonesy made an appearance.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • farmerfarmer Members  8830WRX Points: 1,213Posts: 8,830 Titanium Tees

A real player does mouth-to-mouth on the squirrel. Excellent story.

Posted:
  • BermBusterBermBuster So. Cal.Members  79WRX Points: 49Handicap: nonePosts: 79 Fairways

Was he riding a big blue ox instead of in a cart? Next time I have a gimmie, I'm going to stare at my partner while I sink it!

Posted:
  • mizuno playermizuno player Mizuno player Members  1729WRX Points: 382Posts: 1,729 Platinum Tees

I miss Jonesy.......

Posted:
  • ETMorelandETMoreland Members  6WRX Points: 28Posts: 6 Bunkers

What... 😂😂

Posted:

Srixon Z 565 Driver -- HZRDUS Black Handcrafted 6.5
    Taylormade M6 3 Wood -- HZRDUS Smoke 6.5
    Titleist TMB 716 3 Iron (Bent to 17*)
    Ben Hogan FTX Pro -- KBS TOUR V X Stiff
    Cleveland RTX -3 (52, 56, 60)
    TaylorMade Daytona Tour - Cleveland Huntington Beach #6

• The Mad HackerThe Mad Hacker Members  198WRX Points: 49Handicap: 15.4Posts: 198 Fairways

Well played, sir.....well played.

Posted:
    Callaway GBB Epic 10.5 - Hzrdus T800 5.5
    TM RBZ 3 Wood - Matrix Ozik, R
    TM Rescue Mid - M.A.S. 55, S
    Callaway Rogue 4 Hybrid - Aldila Synergy 60, R
    Callaway Apex CF16 5 - S, UST Recoil, F3
    Callaway PM Grind '19 (60/12)
    Rife 2 Bar Hybrid Mallet

Advertisement
  • CMCSGolfCMCSGolf Members  642WRX Points: 164Posts: 642 Golden Tee

300 yards off the tee on #1 at Jackson puts you square in the middle of a lake...

There is also maybe 20 feet behind the back tee markers and a hedge.

Posted:
  • RobotDoctorRobotDoctor Senior Hacker ClubWRX  5538WRX Points: 1,192Posts: 5,538 ClubWRX

Shivas Irons must have been Jones Scott's great great grandfather.

Posted:
    TaylorMade M3 440cc 9.5* driver, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6S
    TaylorMade M4 15* (small), Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S
    TaylorMade SLDR 2I Hybrid, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8S
    Ben Hogan Icon 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff
    Scratch Golf 50* GW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff
    Scratch Golf 54* SW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff
    Scratch Golf 58* LW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff
    Byron Morgan custom Epic Day putter

Advertisement
  • TIM929TIM929 Los AngelesMembers  1512WRX Points: 936Handicap: 14.2Posts: 1,512 Platinum Tees

Awesome! Just awesome!

But Jones Scott wasn’t scratch, he’s +69 according to his profile lol. Apparently a Beyonce fan as well.

he was ahead of his time.

Posted:
    Titleist TS3 10.5* Driver                   HZRDUS SMOKE 6.0          Tour Velvet std 
    Adams Tightlies 2 16*3 Wood         whatevers stock                 Tour Velvet std  
    Titleist TS3 19*    Hybrid                  HZRDUS SMOKE 6.0          Tour Velvet std 
    Titleist 716 TMB  4-P                       DG S300                             Tour Velvet Align 2 wraps  
    Titleist SM7 54.14F                          DG S400                             Tour Velvet plus4 1 wraps
    Titleist SM7 58.12D                         DG S400                             Tour Velvet plus4 1 wraps
    Titleist SC Terryllium Fastback 1.5   34" loft 6.5                          SS Traxion Pistol GT 1.0 CC
    Titleist PROV1                                 ball
    Titleist Player                                   glove 
    FJ rain glove                                    glove (rain)  

WITB:
    http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1729394-timbo929-witb/

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.