A case of the 'if only's.

2»

Comments

• uitar9uitar9  452WRX Points: 118Handicap: LOLMembers Posts: 452 Greens

My last three rounds, 73, 79, 93. Last nights 9 hole mens..... 52. As a 19 cap, that's what I have to expect. That's the reality. Last two times out...couldn't buy a putt.
    Have to always remember the good times...the good company, the hawk that was sitting 20 feet from me on my approach on 9...being still able to walk the course at 66.

Posted:
    KZG OS11 12 degree driver
    Calloway 16 5-wood
    Calloway 20.5 heavenwood
    Cobra 24.5 9-wood
    KZG 5-PW irons
    KZG 52 and 56 and cobra 60 wedges
    TM Spider mallet
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • lchanglchang  715WRX Points: 172Handicap: 11Members Posts: 715 Golden Tee

On -, @uitar9 said:

My last three rounds, 73, 79, 93. Last nights 9 hole mens..... 52. As a 19 cap, that's what I have to expect. That's the reality. Last two times out...couldn't buy a putt.
    Have to always remember the good times...the good company, the hawk that was sitting 20 feet from me on my approach on 9...being still able to walk the course at 66.

A 73 and a 79 and you’re still a 19 index?! What are next best 8 scores of your last 20?! :o

On the thread topic: Like others, I find the If-Only thinking keeps me coming back to the game. It’s also comforting after a bad round: sure I shot 15 shots worse than expected, but “If Only I played those 7 holes over again anywhere near as well as I can, I’d have shot a decent score!”

Posted:
  • BrennanfBrennanf  78WRX Points: 28Members Posts: 78 Fairways

If I could only find the fairway. :D

Posted:
  • dayvei214dayvei214  130WRX Points: 42Members Posts: 130 Fairways

I hate the if only(s).
    I play at a course similar and I always say if only I eagle that par 4. And birdie the par 5 I would be in good shape.

Well, I did that Last week, and I collapsed on the par 3 and a couple of par 4s ended up with the same score.... Of 82 erggggggggg

Posted:

On -, @lchang said:

On -, @uitar9 said:

A 73 and a 79 and you’re still a 19 index?! What are next best 8 scores of your last 20?! :o

On the thread topic: Like others, I find the If-Only thinking keeps me coming back to the game. It’s also comforting after a bad round: sure I shot 15 shots worse than expected, but “If Only I played those 7 holes over again anywhere near as well as I can, I’d have shot a decent score!”

85, 81, 85, 80, 82, 47 times 2. The 47's are a par 72. Those 80's are on a par 68.
    I only use a phone app for the hcp for my own interest, but compared to others I play with its probably right on.
    I still enjoyed that 73

Posted:
    Calloway 16 5-wood
    Calloway 20.5 heavenwood
    Cobra 24.5 9-wood
    KZG 5-PW irons
    TM Spider mallet
  • LeftDaddyLeftDaddy  852WRX Points: 249Handicap: 9Members Posts: 852 Golden Tee

Yep, the “if only” exercise gets me every time.

I shot 81 the other day with 2 triples and 2 doubles. One of the triples was on an easy par 5. I lost 2 balls on that hole each with what I thought were good shots.

The other triple is the one that really burned me up. I bombed a 3 wood to the dead middle of the fairway. 9 iron left into green. Pull draw it right but hole high and greenside in 2. Then I proceed to be the biggest moron ever and make a really stupid decision and end up with a triple.

That still had me seething when I putted out for an 81 on 18.

Posted:
    Callaway 815 BBA DBD, Aldila Rogue Stiff
    Callaway X2 Hot 3 Deep, 14.5, Aldila Tour Green stiff
    Callaway Apex MB UT 2 iron, Project X PXI 6.0
    Callaway 2013 X-forged (3-5), Project X PXI 6.0
    Callaway Apex MB (6-PW), KBS Tour V stiff
    Vokey SM5 54, Callaway Mack Daddy 2 Tour Grind Chrome 58, both with KBS Tour
    Bettinardi BB1

Advertisement
  • lchanglchang  715WRX Points: 172Handicap: 11Members Posts: 715 Golden Tee

On -, @uitar9 said:

On -, @lchang said:

On -, @uitar9 said:

85, 81, 85, 80, 82, 47 times 2. The 47's are a par 72. Those 80's are on a par 68.
    I only use a phone app for the hcp for my own interest, but compared to others I play with its probably right on.
    I still enjoyed that 73

Hmmm. I guess that course’s rating is in the low 60’s?!

Posted:

On -, @lchang said:

On -, @uitar9 said:

On -, @lchang said:

On -, @uitar9 said:

I still enjoyed that 73

Hmmm. I guess that course’s rating is in the low 60’s?!

62.9/110

Posted:
    Calloway 16 5-wood
    Calloway 20.5 heavenwood
    Cobra 24.5 9-wood
    KZG 5-PW irons
    TM Spider mallet
  • ShipwreckShipwreck  4000WRX Points: 312Handicap: 6.2Members Posts: 4,000 Titanium Tees

There’s a guy in my club that is the “shoulda been” guy.

“Hey Joe, what did you get on #8?”
    “A 6 but it shoulda been a 4!”

Well next time fill out your card with what it “shoulda been” and I’ll keep the real score.

Posted:

Bag as of 14MAY2019
    Driver - Cobra F9 Speedback w/ Evenflow White 76x
    3w - Cobra F8 w/ HZRDS RED 6.5
    Hybrid - Cobra F7 w/ Fuji VTS Silver Stiff
    Irons - Titleist 718 AP2 w/ AMT S300 Tour White 4-9
    Wedges Titleist SM7 w/ AMT S300 Tour White 46/50/54/60
    Putter - Odyssey O-Works #7

• platgofplatgof platgof  1923WRX Points: 262Handicap: 17ClubWRX Posts: 1,923 ClubWRX

Played Montgomery Bell State Park, Tn. for the first time and shot 39 on the front, then the heat kicked in hard, and shot 46 on the back, with a bunch of doubles! I just lost it somewhere when the heat kicked up. I really need to play it again now that I know how hard the back plays and be ready for it. The back is all about course management.

Posted:

Ping GMax 10.5
    Cobra F9 5 & 7 Wd
    Callaway OS 5 ,6 Hybrid
    Cobra F9 6-Pw Irons
    Ping Glide 50,54, & 58 Wedges
    TM Pro Spyder Mid Putter
    ERC
    Garmin S20

• MaxBuckMaxBuck  472WRX Points: 221Members Posts: 472 Greens

It wasn't me, but ...

Playing partner today in 9-hole league lipped out two eagle putts (should have made both), a par putt that hit cellophane just left of center and a chip out of cabbage that by rights should have put him within 6" but instead left him a 12-foot twister. Should have been a 32 or 33; ended up as a 37 with some spectacular shotmaking. Several drives over 300 carry - the guy was en fuego. He's about a 1.1 index, so really not all that surprising, but still a disappointing result.

I felt as bad for him (and he didn't whine) as I would have for myself.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • tdennietdennie  89WRX Points: 23Members Posts: 89 Fairways

I had one of those rounds at Mt. Mitchell golf course. Shot 82 with 4 birdies but should have shot in the 70's. If only some of those putts went in.

Posted:
  • llewol007llewol007 4KidsGolfer San Jose, Ca 3541WRX Points: 162Handicap: 4.1ClubWRX Posts: 3,541 ClubWRX

That is the game of golf for you. Being able to maintain your game for 18 holes. Just the nature of the game. I never bank on back to back performances. I treat each round as a totally different approach. Even if I play in a two day event.

Posted:
    Cobra F8 9* Aldila Rogue 60 3.0 X Stiff
    Cobra LTD 14.5 Degree Aldila Rogue 70 3.3 X Stiff
    Cobra LTD 17.5 Degree Aldila Rogue 70 3.6 X Stiff
    Cobra Tec 4/5 irons Recoil 110 F5
    Cobra MB/CB 6-GW Recoil 110 F5
    TaylorMade Ghost Long Hosel 
    Tigers Golfball
  • Oz MaxOz Max  275WRX Points: 127Handicap: 80'sMembers Posts: 275 Greens

Haven't broken 80 yet, shot 82 with a quadruple bogey, after a perfect drive on hole#9... humbling.

Posted:
  • JedaigekiJedaigeki  328WRX Points: 81Members Posts: 328 Greens

I find golf to be a game of give and take. For every "if-only" in a round there is a "got away with that" or "that was lucky" moment to balance it.

As others have said take the positive. 85 is a great score for a 22 handicap

Posted:
  • MignuzMignuz  129WRX Points: 60Handicap: 3Members Posts: 129 Fairways

My great "if only" is 3 weeks ago, I shot- 1 71 with 6 birdies, 3 bogeys and a double.
    Never broke 70 and that was my biggest chance, if only I hadn't played so bad drives and irons and I didn't miss a 1 meter putt for bogey.
    But I really holed every single put for birdie, even from 10 meters (first 7 holes: 7 putts!).
    If only I hadn' holed so much, it would have been an easy 78 :)

Posted:

Advertisement
  • larrybudlarrybud Rochester Hills, MI 11580WRX Points: 468Handicap: 3.4Members Posts: 11,580 Titanium Tees

IF only I were a foot taller and could hit it 30-40 more yards (to get to 270), I think I could have made a decent run at being a pretty good amateur.

Posted:
  • MoonlightgrmMoonlightgrm Massachusetts 1003WRX Points: 173Handicap: 2 (index = 2.3)Members Posts: 1,003 Platinum Tees

I could have witnessed a course record yesterday. If only he made some putts.

I have the pleasure of playing with our state amateur champion now and then. Yesterday he hit every fairway and every green in regulation playing from the tips at our club (7,018 yards). His ball striking was incredible. I don’t think he had a birdie putt attempt longer than 25-feet. Our course record is 10-under par 62 set in 1961. He shot 64, but didn’t make a putt longer than 5-feet. He had 3 lip-outs and left one putt 1/2 turn short but dead in the jar. It was truly amazing to witness. He walked away with the dreaded “if only”. Let me add, he’s a good putter. In fact, I cannot recall seeing him ever three-putt at our club.

Posted:
  • No_Catchy_NicknameNo_Catchy_Nickname Kyushu,_Japan 5980WRX Points: 1,155Handicap: meMembers Posts: 5,980 Titanium Tees

On -, @Moonlightgrm said:

I could have witnessed a course record yesterday. If only he made some putts.

I have the pleasure of playing with our state amateur champion now and then. Yesterday he hit every fairway and every green in regulation playing from the tips at our club (7,018 yards). His ball striking was incredible. I don’t think he had a birdie putt attempt longer than 25-feet. Our course record is 10-under par 62 set in 1961. He shot 64, but didn’t make a putt longer than 5-feet. He had 3 lip-outs and left one putt 1/2 turn short but dead in the jar. It was truly amazing to witness. He walked away with the dreaded “if only”. Let me add, he’s a good putter. In fact, I cannot recall seeing him ever three-putt at our club.

I've had lots of similar rounds putting like that. The every fairway hit and every green in regulation part? Not so much... :#

Posted:
    Driver: Ping G400 Tour 65S
    4w: TaylorMade R9 stock Fujikura Motore X flex
    7w TaylorMade V-steel, Quadra Fire Express RB 6SX
    Hybrid: RomaRo iBrid 23* Attas EZ 85S
    Irons (4i-PW): Mizuno MP4 Attas 115X 4-PW (+0.5")
    Wedges: Cleveland RTX4 Forged 52* and 58*, DGS400 (both at 35.5")
    Putter: Mac Jack Nicklaus Muirfield/Taylormade TPA XVIII/Wilson 8802

Old stuff: Tons of persimmon and older irons. 
  • Man_O_WarMan_O_War  3452WRX Points: 522Members Posts: 3,452 Titanium Tees

dat kof

Posted:
    Ping G400 LST Oban Devotion 06/Ozik F6M2
    Cobra LTD PRO /Ozik TP6HD/Project X LZ 6.0 71g HC/ 

Cobra LTD 3/4 Kai'li 80
    Cobra LTD 4/5 Kai'li 80
    Cobra F6 Baffler
    TM Mid_Rescue TP 22*
    Mizuno MP20 HMB 120x 4-pw
    RTX 3.0 50, 54, 60 Modus 125
    TM Spider DJ Sightline Black Tour Spider 
  • DrewBallinDrewBallin  105WRX Points: 58Members Posts: 105 Fairways

I have about the same hcp as you and I am having a hard time getting under 90 right now, if I shot an 81 I would try to remember what I did right instead of the what could have been. Great score by the way, congrats!

Posted:
    In my Cobra King stand bag

driver-- Cobra King LTD with ust elements fire x-stiff shaft
    hybrids-- Cobra F6 2/3 & 3/4
    irons-- Cobra cb/mb 3-pw KBS c-taper 120 shafts
    wedge-- Cobra tour trusty 56*
    putter-- MLA tour mallet

Advertisement
  • andrueandrue  1459WRX Points: 244Handicap: 21Members Posts: 1,459 Platinum Tees

In summer at my home club off the standard tees low 90s/high 80s is the norm. But off the competition tees just keeping below 100 is a challenge. Partly it's that the course is quite a lot longer (~6000 yards as opposed to ~5700 yards) but also because a lot of that extra distance comes from three or four holes where the competition tees are 'embedded' in trees. What I mean by that is that you have a significantly restricted flight path. From the standard tees you can see the entire fairway and have the full width available to you. From several of the competition tees you can't see the entire width and have to keep your ball in a narrower corridor.

The 18th is a good example of that. It's the hole in the middle in that image and the standard tees are roughly where the three people are standing on the kart path. The competition tees are right at the top where the four people are standing.

The absolute worst though is the 3rd. The competition tees are under the trees right of the tee box you can see (80 yards back!). There is also a gully between the two of them and the standard tees (the ones you can see) are about two metres higher than the competition tees. So not only are you driving a relatively narrow gap between trees but you're also having to make sure you launch the ball properly.

But the big problem for me with comps is psychological. I really need to get that sorted out.

Posted:
    Callaway Rogue Driver.
    Callaway Big Bertha OS Hybrids (3/4/5)
    Callaway Big Bertha OS Irons (6/7/8/9/PW/AW/SW)
    Callaway 60* Sureout wedge
    Callaway 64* Sureout wedge
    Ghost Spider Si 72 Putter
    Callaway Super Soft Yellow (White in winter).

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.