Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

30th Birthday Vacation

Looking for some suggestions to go for a destination for my 30th birthday. Would be 2 golfers and our WAGs who are not golfers. So would need something for them to do. Really can plan timing of trip around the destination. Looking for a week long trip with 3/4 rounds of golf in.
So far considering:
1. Pebble Beach/Monterey
2. Pinehurst
3. Palm Desert

Also coming from the Washington DC area.

Comments

• smb4uasmb4ua Members Posts: 164 ✭✭✭
    edited Jun 23, 2019 9:19pm #2

Edit: I’d originally asked what time of year, but didn’t notice you were flexible. Cabo sounds like a perfect destination. Great golf, you’re guaranteed nice weather, there’s good nightlife, and the girls can hang at the beach while you’re golfing.

• mci711mci711 ChicagoMembers Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

If Pebble is even in consideration you should just do it. No brainer to me.

• Kevlar10Kevlar10 Members Posts: 98 ✭✭✭

Pinehurst is also a good option as there is a world class spa at the resort. If nightlife is a priority, depending on the time of year, I’m not sure about that. I’m going at the end of August with my buddies and am considering a return next year with the family. I’ll post a trip report when I return.

• golfatxgolfatx Members Posts: 17 ✭✭
    edited Jun 23, 2019 10:51pm #5

I did Pebble last week with the GF for exactly this occasion and it was the best trip we've been on. US Open aside, I was able to play Pasatiempo, Spyglass, and Pebble and together we did Big Sur, 17 Mile Drive, and other random activities around Monterey and Carmel. Wrapping things up with dinner at The Bench by the fire pits overlooking the 18th at Pebble is hard to beat.

Srixon Z785 9.5* Tensei PO 70TX
    TaylorMade P790 2 UDI
    TaylorMade M3 4 Hybrid
    Callaway '19 Apex Pro 4-PW
    Titleist Vokey SM7 50* 8F
    Titleist Vokey SM7 54* 10S
    TaylorMade Hi Toe 60*
    TaylorMade Spider Tour Black
  • CCTxGolfCCTxGolf Going to the Masters...Someday Corpus ChristiMembers Posts: 868 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pebble is considerably more expensive than the other options. Seems that non-golfers would appreciate it the most. Palm Dessert would be considerably cheaper with tons of golf. Not sure how fun it is for women but a lot go so there’s gotta be something to do.

As said above. If pebble is really on the table, you can’t not go.

Driver - Callaway EPIC SZ 10.5*
    Fairway Wood - Titleist 917 F2 16.5* and 21*
    Irons - Titleist AP2 4-PW
    Wedges - Titleist SM 5 52*, Titleist SM 6 56* and 60*
    Putter - Scotty Cameron Golo 5 or Odyssey Toe Up #1
  • nikegolfer1983nikegolfer1983 Members Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I did pebble for my 30th birthday a few years ago. It was first week of March and the weather was perfect. Played Pebble, MPCC, Cypress and Spyglass. Did a few other things during the week and had great dinners at Spyglass and in Carmel

• Miker20890Miker20890 Members Posts: 266 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for all the replies. Definitely figured pebble would be the number one response. How difficult is it getting a tee time there when not staying on property?

@Miker20890 said:
    Thanks for all the replies. Definitely figured pebble would be the number one response. How difficult is it getting a tee time there when not staying on property?

It isn't easy. I did it though. I called multiple times and explained I was going to propose that week (fiance also golfs a ton) and that it would be awesome to be able to play the same week. First couple people shut me down. 3rd was a woman and she was super cool. Put me on hold and came back and offered a tee time. So I think you just have to find the right person on the right day. They can make it happen if they want.

• jvincentjvincent Members Posts: 809 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's not easy to get on at Pebble staying off property. Officially you can only book the day before. I called at 8AM the day before as a single and got the last available spot when I went last fall.

Cobra F9 9* : Tour AD TP 7-S
    Cobra LTD set at 16* : Tour AD TP 8-S
    Cobra 3U set at 19.5* : Nippon Modus3 130-S
    Wishon 565MC 4-PW : Nippon Modus3 130-S
    Cleveland RTX3 50, 54, 58 : Nippon Modus3 130-S
    Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

• Argonne69Argonne69 Members Posts: 22,247 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Miker20890 said:

Depends on the time of year, day of the week, and a bit of luck. I played it in July 2017, and was able to get an 11:30 am tee time on a Monday when I called at 8 AM on Sunday. There were 3 spots available when I called.

• ScottJNScottJN Members Posts: 59 ✭✭

When I turned 30 GF and I did Charleston for a long weekend and I skipped out one morning to hit up Kiawah. We had a great time and it was an easy 45 minute drive to the course,

• HappyGilmore22HappyGilmore22 Members Posts: 469 ✭✭✭✭

I recently moved to NC and find Pinehurst way over priced and over rated after going there this spring. Courses are good don't get me wrong but I don't think they are worth half what you pay and there is absolutely nothing to do down there in that area. 3 rounds at Pinehurst playing the best courses will run you around $1000 for greens fees alone. Go play Pebble Beach or look into a hundred other areas that you'd get more for your money. Just my opinion and I'm 31 years old if that matters.

TaylorMade M5 9 deg - Fujikura Speeder Evolution I 757 TX
    Titleist TS3 15 deg - Project X Even Flow T1100 White 85 6.5
    Titleist 816 H2 19 deg - Mitsubishi Diamana D+ 90x
    Titleist T200 4, T100 5-PW - Project X 6.5
    Titleist Vokey SM7 Jet Black - 50.12 F, 54.10 S, 58.12 D - TT DG S400
    Scotty Cameron Select Squareback 1.5
  • Miker20890Miker20890 Members Posts: 266 ✭✭✭✭

So looking like I’m going to be overruled on pebble lol. Too expensive for everything.

edited Jun 27, 2019 1:39pm #15

I'd also throw in Scottsdale/Sedona/Grand Canyon. You can spend half the week in Scottsdale and play any number of their good courses We-Ko-pa (2 courses) Ak-Chin Southern Dunes, Quientero etc. Then you can hit Sedona One of the most beautiful parts of the country. Unreal place if you like that kind of stuff. I'd play seven canyons while you are there.

• jvincentjvincent Members Posts: 809 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Miker20890 said:
    So looking like I’m going to be overruled on pebble lol. Too expensive for everything.

Were you looking at staying at the Pebble Resort? If yes, not surprising. If you want to still try and play Pebble but do it for a lot less you can still do that.

1. Get an NCGA membership. This will give you discounts at Poppy Hills, Bayonet, and Blackhorse. The discount on the Poppy Hills green fee is more than the cost of the membership.
    2. Find a decent AirBnB in the Monterey area. You could even go as far as Santa Cruz.
    3. Book tee times at Poppy, Bayonet, Black Horse, and Pasatiempo and if you get lucky try to do a last minute at Pebble or Spyglass.

This shouldn't be too bad cost wise.

Cobra F9 9* : Tour AD TP 7-S
    Cobra LTD set at 16* : Tour AD TP 8-S
    Cobra 3U set at 19.5* : Nippon Modus3 130-S
    Wishon 565MC 4-PW : Nippon Modus3 130-S
    Cleveland RTX3 50, 54, 58 : Nippon Modus3 130-S
    Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

• AustincountyagAustincountyag Members Posts: 218 ✭✭✭

I agree with poster who said Charleston. Wife and I went couple years ago and it is a great trip. Downtown is beautiful and the food is excellent. Kiawah is an easy drive and a gorgeous drive as well. Wife walked the Ocean course with me while I played and she enjoyed it. Top notch resort if you want to stay there or stay in downtown. Easy drive if you choose to go that route as well.

• LICCLICC Members Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Miker20890 said:

Is Hawaii an option?

• QC HeelQC Heel Members Posts: 84 ✭✭✭

What about Primland or The Greenbrier? Both fairly easy drives from D.C.

• DancinDancin Members Posts: 299 ✭✭✭✭

If the wives like mountain scenery/hiking/shopping/mountain biking, go to Vail. Red Sky Ranch in Vail, CO has two really nice courses (one is closed for members each day and it alternates). Not at the level of Pebble Beach for costs, but still might be too expensive as the golf is up in the $250+ range. If you are staying at any Vail owned property you have access to those courses. Could also stay in Vail and make the 45 min drive to play the two Keystone courses which are open to anyone and offer free replays this year. More reasonable at $165 in the morning and cheaper in the afternoon.

• krtgolfingkrtgolfing Members Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Easy... Pebble Beach.

Callaway Rogue Sub Zero Driver
    Taylor Made M2 3 Wood
    Taylor Made M2 3 Hybrid
    Taylor Made PSI 4 Iron - Approach Wedge
    Titleist Vokey SM5 54* & 60*
    Kingston Putters KP2
  • EllenHartryEllenHartry Members Posts: 3

I like Greenbrayar. A nice place.

• jjthomp2jjthomp2 Members Posts: 162 ✭✭✭

Whew, it's tough to beat Carmel/Monterey even if you're not playing golf. I think the ladies would be hard pressed to complain if you all ended up out there.
    Pinehurst is a great time but i'm not sure 30 somethings who don't golf would really have that much to look forward to IMO

Taylormade M3 440 9.0
    Titleist 906f4 15.5
    Titleist 816 H2 21.0
    Mizuno MP-64 4-P
    Titleist Vokey 50, 56, 60
    Scotty Cameron Squareback

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file