2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

45 minutes available - How do you warm up?

So, my last few rounds I have made the decision to go to the first tee cold to get done in under 3 hours versus getting stuck on the course 4-5 hours. While I saved time, I keep shi**** the bed on the front 9. I had 7 bogeys in a row on the front 9 for a 76 on Tuesday and followed it up today with another 76 with 6 bogeys in a row on the front 9. I know the only way my handicap is getting to scratch is if I take it as serious as a scratch player. If I can’t warm up I shouldn’t go to the course.

So, I am committed to not playing a round unless I warm up properly, so what are your best 45 minute warm up routines (or what you suggest should be devoted to warm up in terms of time and routine)?

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

I would spend the majority of the 45 minutes warming up by stretching. There is a reason why the professionals like to have 1-2 hours of warming up before their rounds.

Maybe 5 minutes for a few wedge, and 10 minutes for putting ( distance / speed ) control.

It's too late to adjust the golf swing 45 minutes before the tee time , If you don't have it that morning, 45 minutes won't make a noticible difference.

Preparing your body and mind to enjoy a round of golf with the time.

Stretching is probably the best thing to do, but I don't do it enough before a round. I do warm up with a weighted club to get loose, then work with a wedge to get my swinging feeling on plane/ correct. Once I feel the swing is correct I can move to an 8 iron. After that a few shots with a driver, then a few with the club I plan to use on the 1st hole. Then usually back to the wedges for some feel shots. Being old and still makes you want to 'groove your swing' before trying to hit anything more than half shots too. If time permits it's off to the putting green for 5-10 minutes as well. Not perfect but it seems to work for me most times.

I disagree with all the stretching. You can stretch yourself so you get into very slightly different positions than you are used to. Enough that it will throw your timing off.

I use a orange whip and that seems to be good enough.

If I had 45 minutes I would hit 15 minutes of 40-50 yard pitches. It’s what every tour player I’ve seen do when they first get to the range. It gets your body warm and gives you clubface awareness for how you are feeling that day.

Then 20 minutes of range time without working on anything technical ..pure target. With me playing the first hole with the last 2 balls.

Then 10 minutes of putting on a chalk line

• Like 1

I would like to politely disagree with your notion of not playing if you can't warm-up.

If I was trying to improve my game the course is where I want to do it. You obviously can play, so if you are trying to get reps in then that is great practice. Your post gives me the impression that you are more worried about posting good rounds to ghin than you are improving. Not trying to be a duck.

Unless you are actually just trying to get the HI down for some type of tournament, in which case I understand.

• Like 1

G425 Max 9*o w/ RIP Beta
TEE CBX19 16.5*
Sub70 699U 19.5*
P770 5-P
Exo #7

45 minutes is an eternity.

Stretch for 3-4 min. Then 4-5 sand wedges , 8 irons 5 irons , 3 -3 irons , a couple 3 woods and 3 good drivers. That leaves 25 minutes for putting and chipping.

• Like 2

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

**Here is what I do (30 minutes):**

-Start with two over-the-head Drivers (George Gankas style) to loosen up. (1 minute)

-Hit a bunch of half swing, flighted wedges (5 minutes)

-Hit 3 seven-irons, 3 four irons, 3 Drivers (4 minutes)

-Pitch/chip (5 minutes)

-Bunker shots (5 minutes)

-Putt (10 minutes-lag putts first, short putts last)

I never stretch or swing two clubs to loosen up, I find it drops my swing speed considerably.

Rogue ST Max LS (8.0), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX 

Cobra Aerojet (14.5), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX

TSi2 (18, A1), Tensei AV Raw White 85TX

U85 (22), X100

i210 (5-UW), X100

Glide 3.0 (54.12SS, 60.06TS)

35” Daddy Long Legs

Srixon Z-Star XV

45 minutes seems like a really long time.

I would half that.

Go hit balls for 10-15 minutes and give yourself a comfortable 10-15 minutes to putt around. Anything over 30 minutes and you're working on things which is not good if you're just seeking to warm-up and go play.

Warming up might take 3 swings. It might take 20. If you have it in 3, then great. If you're not there in 20 it's not going to happen and you have to deal with whatever you have.

If you overdo the warm-up you'll end up sluggish late in the round anyway.

TSR3 (Dr) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2 (3w / 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-P) (Nippon Modus3)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

Everyone is a bit different so you have to find what works for you really. Personally, when I do have time to warm up, I like to loosen up the muscles with about 2 minutes of flexing, then hit quarter shots, then half shots then 3/4 shots then full shots. Sometimes with a wedge sometimes an 8 or 9 iron. For me I find that progressing this way helps me loosen up nicely without risking the pre-play range oh no I can't hit crap today syndrome that can creep in sometimes. Then I hit just enough putts to do a head check on my alignment and ball positioning on the green.

3 beers and a couple of shots and then head to the tee :)

• Like 2

TE C722 9* House of Forged custom shaft XX
TE C722 15* Tensei AV-RAW White 7x

TE C722 18* Tensei AV-RAW White 8x

Ping I525 4-GW Project X IO stiff
Vokey SM8 54*
Vokey SM8 58*
Putter = flavor of the day. (EvnRoll ER11vx, 3 different Seemores,  TM TM2 Truss CS, Machine CS M2A Converter, 2 different Yes putters)
Maxfli Tour X or Vice Pro

Stretch/get my mind right for 5 minutes --> 20 minutes of short game/putting --> 20 minutes on the range and then straight to the first tee.

Taylormade M1 9.5°  |  Speeder 661

Ping G 14.5°  |  Aldila NV 75

Titleist T-MB 21°  |  S400

PXG 0311T Gen2 4-PW  |  Elevate Tour X100

Callaway MD Forged  |  Recoil 125

Taylormade  |  Spider Tour Black

> @MelloYello said:

> 45 minutes seems like a really long time.

>

> I would half that.

>

> Go hit balls for 10-15 minutes and give yourself a comfortable 10-15 minutes to putt around. Anything over 30 minutes and you're working on things which is not good if you're just seeking to warm-up and go play.

>

> Warming up might take 3 swings. It might take 20. If you have it in 3, then great. If you're not there in 20 it's not going to happen and you have to deal with whatever you have.

>

> If you overdo the warm-up you'll end up sluggish late in the round anyway.

I agree with this post. You don't want to give yourself a lesson on the range before the round; you just want to avoid taking three or four holes of bad golf before you get dialed in and warmed up.

a few minutes to stretch, flighted/ half wedges for 5 minutes, 5 swings with a 7/8 iron, 5 swings 4/5 iron, 5 swings with driver, a couple more flighted wedges and then chip for 10 minutes and spend the rest of your time on the putting green. I typically work one handed putts from 15-20 feet then regular putts alternating distances in order to get the speed down and spend the rest of your time with as straight a 10 foot putt as you can find to groove your stroke + feel.

> @BigBad said:

> Wedges and Driver on range(15 minutes)

> Chip/Bunker shots(15 min)

> Putt(15min)

This is pretty close to my routine. I get a small bucket and work on some shots that I know are specific to that course. For example, on one course I need to hit a high 3W fade to cut the corner of a short par 4. Hit it straight and you run the risk of OB. There are a couple of other holes that require a specific shot so that is what I tune up on. Typically I don't finish the bucket.

Work on chipping and then putting to make sure I'm good with the speed of the greens.

I agree that pounding a large bucket before playing isn't very helpful. When I play in a multi-day tournament, even though I'm usually tired if I've had problems with a part of my game I hit the practice area after the round to see if I can fix the issue.

• Like 1

Ping G400 Max Ventus Blue TR

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

Fell to peer pressure again today, also time, but I did stretch and hit the ball really well sans driver (still shot a 76, but that was down to poor wedge play). I set my tee time tomorrow for 10:00 to make sure I run through a full warmup.

See stretching routine below:

gzed0on2sz6b.jpeg

> @el_b00t said:

> Wake up a little early and do some yoga at home.

Yoga or not, it's really helpful to get up early and let your body "wake-up" before you ever hop in the car and go to the course.

If I show up at the driving range fresh from bed I'm screwed. It's going to take the body a half-hour to warm up regardless of how much "panic stretching" you do. Better to just do that at home while you're watching some golf and sipping coffee.

This is exactly the reason why what I said before is true, if you show up and it's not there in 15-20 swings, it ain't coming.

• Like 1

TSR3 (Dr) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2 (3w / 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-P) (Nippon Modus3)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

Disclaimer 1: I do a 15-20 minute stretching program after I get out of bed pretty much every day, so that part is done before I ever get to the golf course.

Disclaimer 2: I try to remember the difference between practicing and warming up, and that when I am warming up, I'm not going to learn to hit a golf ball. Good or bad, I have to play the swing I brought that day.

Disclaimer 3: 45 minutes is about right; less than that gets hurried, and more than that becomes practice, with danger of tinkering and thinking you've found yet another secret key to the golf swing.

A half dozen half swing SW shots to find the bottom of the swing

4 full SW's, 4 PW's, 4 8i's, 4 6i's, 4 5H's, 4 2H's, 4 5W's, and then a half dozen drivers. The last two drivers are full preshot routine and alignment, then one shot each with 4H, 7i, gap wedge, and 2-4 partials with LW. That's about 40 shots, but rom the 8i on thru to the driver, if I like the first couple of shots, I'll put the club away and move on, so often it's less than 40 shots.

Then a half dozen or so chips with my gap wedge, a half dozen or so 3-4' putts on a flat, straight putt, following by a half dozen or so 20-30' putts to try to get a really good feel for speed.

If I vary from that routine, it'll most likely be the putting part, especially if I'm playing an away round on a course with Bermuda greens. I have found that the degree of influence of grain among Bermuda greens varies wildly, and I try to hit some putts with the grain going in various directions to get a sense of that particular course.

• Like 1

Air swings with driver and wedge to get loose. deep squats. and hamstring stretches. really want to get the hips loose as this is my tightest area.

Gap wedge - 5 shots to a 75 yd target

8 iron - 5 shots

6 iron - 4 shots

hybrid - 4 shots

Driver - 5 drives

75 - 100 yd wedges with either gap or PW, depending on wind - 5 really focused on the target on these

chipping and lag putting until tee off time (usually have 10-15 mins for this.)

• Like 1

Somebody disagreed with stretching? My lower back appreciates some good hip and other stretching - any such stretching I do is at home, so I don't usually include it when I'm thinking about pre-round stuff.

I got an early start to league last night and hit probably 40 balls - took around 40 minutes. I started off with some little wedge pitches, worked on a drill I got from Monte off and on while hitting those, moved on to some 100 yard 8 irons, again worked in the drill a couple of times, then a very few 150 yard 5 irons, then 1-2 full shots with 8 iron and 5 iron. Finished with just a few driver swings. Took my time, had a nice little session.

In general, my favorite "go to" is hitting a bunch of 10-40 yard pitches messing around with different shots, but trying to hit them solid and not rush things in the swing, sometimes really trying to slow it down to see how much control I have.

Crap, another pre-round routine answer with no mention of putting - well, I think about it sometimes.

• Like 1

2 or 3 Bloody Marys. 5 shots with your favorite wedge. 5 shots with your 7 iron. 2 shots with your driver. 2 shots with whatever you’re gonna use off the first tee shot. One hand practice putting (never 2 when warming up!!!!) for about 3 balls. Go grab another beer, maybe a sandwich. Head over to the tee, shotgun said beer and tee off. You’ll be loose, have no pressure, covered all your bases and will be having fun which is what golf is all about. Anyone telling you a different way to warm up is wrong.

- 5 minutes of stretching and getting the joints to loosen up and the blood to flow.

- 10 minutes on the putting green, working on speed

- 5-10 minutes on the short game area. Getting some bunker shots in and some pitches and chips.

- 15 minutes on the driving range. Hit about 5-8 wedges, 5-8 7-irons, 5-8 4-irons, 5-8 Driving irons, 3-5 3-woods and about 10 drivers.

- 10 minute on the putting green, working on right to lefters, left to right putts and putts from 3-6 feet.

RH

• Like 1

Better life choice - short game first or range first?

I am in the short game camp.

> @Hawkeye77 said:

> Somebody disagreed with stretching? My lower back appreciates some good hip and other stretching - any such stretching I do is at home, so I don't usually include it when I'm thinking about pre-round stuff.

I think it depends. Golf is a dynamic sport, doing 30 minutes of static stretching may actually be detrimental if carried out immediately before a round. 5 minutes of dynamic stretching could do the exact opposite.