Jason and Stevie

MountainGoatMountainGoat Mid-MarylandMembers Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I've been interested in the budding relationship between Jason Day and his new caddie Steve Williams. Judging by broadcaster comments, this appears to be more than Jason just hiring an experienced looper. Stevie seems to be functioning as a game coach, instructing Jason on what shots to hit. He's even suggesting equipment changes, particularly the move to a softer ball. It sounds as though Jason benefits from the kind of coaching that Colin Swatton used to provide. Whatever it is, it seems to be working.

Comments

• JAMH03JAMH03 Members Posts: 968 ✭✭✭✭✭

Guess JD is a "we" guy.

Which totally makes sense if SW has spent 20+ years with some of the worlds elite he does have relevant experience to draw on for JD or most anybody I reckon.

• jvincentjvincent Members Posts: 740 ✭✭✭✭✭

@golfandfishing said:
    2 straight events without a mention of an injury or illness. Maybe Steve Williams influenced him to man up a bit too.

I was thinking the same thing.

Cobra F9 9* : Tour AD TP 7-S
    Cobra LTD set at 16* : Tour AD TP 8-S
    Cobra 3U set at 19.5* : Nippon Modus3 130-S
    Wishon 565MC 4-PW : Nippon Modus3 130-S
    Cleveland RTX3 50, 54, 58 : Nippon Modus3 130-S
    Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

• rafalrafal Members Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Multiple posts without Stevie bashing. Surprised!
    Oh, also, no "caddies don't matter" posts yet. Must be early.

TM M4 10.5* Matrix Ozik HD6 S
    TM M3 3W Matrix Ozik HD6 S
    TM M4 Rescue 3
    TM R15 Rescue 5 PXi 5.5
    Titleist AP2 5-P PXi 5.5
    PING Glide 52*SS 58*WS 60*TS
    TM DLL+ 34.5"
  • FergusonFerguson Members Posts: 5,104 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Are they a mouple now?

• tbowles411tbowles411 ClubWRX Posts: 25,317 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@idrive said:

@rafal said:

I'm up now... lmao

It's truly hard to believe that JDay was World's #1 just a short time ago. Especially considering he did it without Stev-oline.

Can't wait to see Stev-oline accepting the Trophy when JDay wins... we all know the only way JDay wins is with Stevo on the bag.

It's also become apparent now the TMade guys have no idea how to fit their player(s). Clubs, ball etc.

Can you imagine how bad Tiger's career would have been/be without Steveo? He's obviously the reason Tiger won as many times as he did. If Stevo hadn't been on the bag he'd still be searching for his first major.
    Congrats Stevo on a fine career and making all these guys you carried a bag for successful.

That was pretty good. :)

G410 9 Degree - Yonex Red
    G410 3, 5 & 9 Woods - Yonex Blue
    G410 4-5 Hybrids - UST Recoil
    G410 6-UW - Yonex Proprietary Iron Shafts
    Glide 2.0 54SS, 58 WS
    Glide 3.0 54ES, 58ES (Awaiting release) Yonex Proprietary Iron Shafts
    PING Bruzer
    PING Vault 2.0 Craz-E **Backup**
  • RangeballzRangeballz Members Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@golfandfishing said:
    2 straight events without a mention of an injury or illness. Maybe Steve Williams influenced him to man up a bit too.

If true that wold be a refreshing change.....

• mcc0819mcc0819 Members Posts: 652 ✭✭✭✭✭

I miss world #1 Jason Day :'( let's hope stevie can get him back on track

Ping G400 LST AD-DI 7x
    Callaway Rogue 3w AD-TP 8x
    Taylormade m1 3 hybrid Veylix Rome 988 Wildeye
    Srixon Z765 4-pw Nippon Modus 120x
    Ping Glide 2.0 50, 54, 58
    Odyssey O-Works 1w

• Lagavulin62Lagavulin62 Members Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I saw some of the interview yesterday when JD was praising his new bagman. If he needs all that help it makes you wonder why he would seek it in an egomaniac porter? JD needs a new shrink more than I first realized. He sure fits the stereotype of a one major winner with the lone major the PGA.

• 00steven00steven Northern MIMembers Posts: 258 ✭✭✭✭

This might be the right thing to save Jason Days career. Not that it’s horrible but he has a lot of potential. Seems to me he’s trying hard to impress Stevie too.

Driver: Taylormade M3
    3 Wood: Taylormade M4
    3 Hybrid: Taylormade M4
    4 iron: Titleist AP1 
    5-9: Titleist AP1 716 
    PW: Titleist CB 716 
    Wedges: 52/56 Titlest SM7 60 Titleist SM6
    Putter: Ping Sigma 2 Fetch
    Ball: Bridgestone Tour B XS
  • legitimategolflegitimategolf Golf hard New York NYMembers Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Stev-ie!
    Stev-ie!
    Stev-ie!

@00steven said:
    This might be the right thing to save Jason Days career. Not that it’s horrible but he has a lot of potential. Seems to me he’s trying hard to impress Stevie too.

As he should, Stevie's record dwarfs Day's.

TM M4 Rescue 3
    TM R15 Rescue 5 PXi 5.5
    Titleist AP2 5-P PXi 5.5
    TM DLL+ 34.5"

@rafal said:

@00steven said:

When did stevie boy win a major? I guess I missed it.

@Lagavulin62 said:

@rafal said:

@00steven said:

Was before 2010 so it's ok.

TM M4 Rescue 3
    TM R15 Rescue 5 PXi 5.5
    Titleist AP2 5-P PXi 5.5
    TM DLL+ 34.5"

@rafal said:

@Lagavulin62 said:

@rafal said:

@00steven said:

Was before 2010 so it's ok.

I don’t equate carrying a bag to winning a tournament. When stevie’s name is on the winner’s check I will give him his due.

• buckeyeflbuckeyefl Members Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Lagavulin62 said:
    I saw some of the interview yesterday when JD was praising his new bagman. If he needs all that help it makes you wonder why he would seek it in an egomaniac porter? JD needs a new shrink more than I first realized. He sure fits the stereotype of a one major winner with the lone major the PGA.

Because he's good at what he does and has more experience than anyone in the world with the top players in the world.

• bscinstnctbscinstnct Members Posts: 27,192 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Jun 24, 2019 9:31pm #19

@golfandfishing said:

Lol, can you imagine what SW would say to Day if he whined about being sick or too injured to play?

Be like,

Did I ever tell you about the time TW played blind in one eye the day after playing navy seal and jumping on a flashbang grenade? And won?

• bspnbspn Members Posts: 134 ✭✭✭

The mental side of the game has always been one of Day's biggest weaknesses. His pre-shot visualization and breathing routine is painful to watch at times, so if SW can help anywhere it will be cutting out the crap and just hitting the shot - Day clearly has the talent so getting rid of some of the BS and just playing golf might be good for him.

• idriveidrive gone golfin Members Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@bscinstnct said:

@golfandfishing said:

Lol, can you imagine what SW would say to Day if he whined about being sick or too injured to play?

Be like,

Did I ever tell you about the time TW played blind in one eye the day after playing navy seal and jumping on a flashbang grenade? And won?

Wasn't that the same grenade that blew TW's knee out also?

• PowderedToastManPowderedToastMan Members Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Jason Day is one of those guys that benefits more so than the average tour player from a great caddie. Many of the legends of the game consider Steve Williams one of the best caddies, if not the best.

It has the potential to be a great relationship.

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being. Reformed club ho.

In the bag:

PING. Lots of PING.
  • grm24grm24 Western PAMembers Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Jun 25, 2019 6:17am #23

@idrive said:
    Can you imagine how bad Tiger's career would have been/be without Steveo? He's obviously the reason Tiger won as many times as he did. If Stevo hadn't been on the bag he'd still be searching for his first 2nd major.

FIFY! Tiger won his first major with Fluff on the bag.

Post edited by grm24 on
  • lowheellowheel LOWHEEL Members Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@idrive said:

@rafal said:

I'm up now... lmao

It's truly hard to believe that JDay was World's #1 just a short time ago. Especially considering he did it without Stev-oline.

Can't wait to see Stev-oline accepting the Trophy when JDay wins... we all know the only way JDay wins is with Stevo on the bag.

It's also become apparent now the TMade guys have no idea how to fit their player(s). Clubs, ball etc.

Can you imagine how bad Tiger's career would have been/be without Steveo? He's obviously the reason Tiger won as many times as he did. If Stevo hadn't been on the bag he'd still be searching for his first major.
    Congrats Stevo on a fine career and making all these guys you carried a bag for successful.

• OldTomMorrisOldTomMorris Edinburgh, ScotlandMembers Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@PowderedToastMan said:
    Jason Day is one of those guys that benefits more so than the average tour player from a great caddie. Many of the legends of the game consider Steve Williams one of the best caddies, if not the best.

Legends of the game discuss great caddies, is there a book??

Titleist 910D3 8.5°
    TaylorMade M3 15°
    Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
    Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
    Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
    Titleist Pro V 1x
  • OldTomMorrisOldTomMorris Edinburgh, ScotlandMembers Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Supposedly Jason Day is now letting a caddy dictate the way he plays golf, sounds like a really bad idea to me.

Titleist 910D3 8.5°
    TaylorMade M3 15°
    Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
    Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
    Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
    Titleist Pro V 1x
  • VindogVindog Don't order the schnitzel. They're using schnauzer! Members Posts: 17,657 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I know Stevie is an easy target because of...well, because of who he is, and his mouth.

But I'll be damned if this stuff isn't coincidental. Whether it is just perceived personal confidence, or actual on course improvement it works. Nobody can refute that it works.
    Nobody.

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
    a couple of outdated hybrids
    shovel-ier shovels
    wedges from same shovel company
    some putter with a dead insert and
    a hideous grip
  • MountainGoatMountainGoat Mid-MarylandMembers Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I just think that Jason benefits from on course coaching, both strategy and motivation. Stevie could be exactly the right guy to provide it. It’s a more assertive version of the service a caddy is traditionally supposed to provide.

• PowderedToastManPowderedToastMan Members Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@OldTomMorris said:

@PowderedToastMan said:

Legends of the game discuss great caddies, is there a book??

I think at least 10-20 people would read that book.

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being. Reformed club ho.

In the bag:

PING. Lots of PING.
  • idriveidrive gone golfin Members Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Jun 25, 2019 2:27pm #30

@Vindog said:
    I know Stevie is an easy target because of...well, because of who he is, and his mouth.

But I'll be damned if this stuff isn't coincidental. Whether it is just perceived personal confidence, or actual on course improvement it works. Nobody can refute that it works.
    Nobody.

I can. JDay just finished 7 shots off the lead.
    He hasn't won with Steveo on the bag.
    Unless he wins nobody can say his on course game has improved.
    Nobody.

Edit: Including Adam Scott

• Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Open Championship! IowaClubWRX Posts: 18,283 ClubWRX

It's all fun and games until the caddie doesn't have you hitting the right club at a critical moment in the Open Championship.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file