Jason and Stevie

 MountainGoat ·  
MountainGoatMountainGoat Mid-MarylandMembers  2715WRX Points: 1,289Posts: 2,715 Titanium Tees
Joined:  in Tour Talk #1

I've been interested in the budding relationship between Jason Day and his new caddie Steve Williams. Judging by broadcaster comments, this appears to be more than Jason just hiring an experienced looper. Stevie seems to be functioning as a game coach, instructing Jason on what shots to hit. He's even suggesting equipment changes, particularly the move to a softer ball. It sounds as though Jason benefits from the kind of coaching that Colin Swatton used to provide. Whatever it is, it seems to be working.

Posted:
«134
4

Comments

  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • JAMH03JAMH03 Members  979WRX Points: 440Posts: 979 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #3

    Guess JD is a "we" guy.

    Which totally makes sense if SW has spent 20+ years with some of the worlds elite he does have relevant experience to draw on for JD or most anybody I reckon.

    Posted:

     



  • jvincentjvincent Members  1505WRX Points: 788Posts: 1,505 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #4

    On -, @golfandfishing said:

    2 straight events without a mention of an injury or illness. Maybe Steve Williams influenced him to man up a bit too.

    I was thinking the same thing.

    Posted:

    Cobra SZ 9* : Tour AD TP 7-S
    Cobra F9 Tour 4-5W : Tour AD TP 8-S
    Cobra 3U set at 18* : Nippon Modus3 120-S
    Srixon Z785 4-PW : Nippon Modus3 120-S
    Cleveland RTX3 50, 54, 58 : Nippon 115-S Wedge
    Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

  • rafalrafal Members  5886WRX Points: 344Posts: 5,886 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #5

    Multiple posts without Stevie bashing. Surprised!
    Oh, also, no "caddies don't matter" posts yet. Must be early.

    Posted:
    TM M4 10.5* Matrix Ozik HD6 S
    TM M3 3W Matrix Ozik HD6 S
    TM M4 Rescue 3
    TM R15 Rescue 5 PXi 5.5
    Titleist AP2 5-P PXi 5.5
    PING Glide 52*SS 58*WS 60*TS
    TM DLL+ 34.5"
  • FergusonFerguson Members  5860WRX Points: 3,279Handicap: 7.0Posts: 5,860 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #6

    Are they a mouple now?

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • tbowles411tbowles411 ClubWRX  25657WRX Points: 827Handicap: GolfPosts: 25,657 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #8

    On -, @idrive said:

    On -, @rafal said:

    Multiple posts without Stevie bashing. Surprised!
    Oh, also, no "caddies don't matter" posts yet. Must be early.

    I'm up now... lmao

    It's truly hard to believe that JDay was World's #1 just a short time ago. Especially considering he did it without Stev-oline.

    Can't wait to see Stev-oline accepting the Trophy when JDay wins... we all know the only way JDay wins is with Stevo on the bag.

    It's also become apparent now the TMade guys have no idea how to fit their player(s). Clubs, ball etc.

    Can you imagine how bad Tiger's career would have been/be without Steveo? He's obviously the reason Tiger won as many times as he did. If Stevo hadn't been on the bag he'd still be searching for his first major.
    Congrats Stevo on a fine career and making all these guys you carried a bag for successful.

    That was pretty good. :)

    Posted:
    G410 9 Degree - Accra FX 2.0
    G410 3, 5 & 9 Woods - Accra FX 2.0
    G410 4-5 Hybrids - Accra 80i
    G410 6-UW - Accra 80i
    Glide 3.0 54WS, 58WS Accra 80i
    PING Bruzer
    PING Vault 2.0 Craz-E **Backup**
    (MY HYBRIDS, IRONS & WEDGES HAVE BEEN STOLEN BY MY SON)







  • RangeballzRangeballz Members  1809WRX Points: 293Posts: 1,809 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #9

    On -, @golfandfishing said:

    2 straight events without a mention of an injury or illness. Maybe Steve Williams influenced him to man up a bit too.

    If true that wold be a refreshing change.....

    Posted:
  • mcc0819mcc0819 Members  751WRX Points: 133Posts: 751 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #10

    I miss world #1 Jason Day :'( let's hope stevie can get him back on track

    Posted:
    • Ping G400 LST 8.5* Tensei Pro Orange 60tx
    • Ping G410 LST 14.5* Tensei Pro Orange 70tx
    • PXG 0317x 19* KBS Tour Proto 85x
    • Cobra King Forged CB 4-PW KBS Tour V 120x
    • Ping Glide Stealth 50/12* KBS 610 125s+
    • Ping Glide Stealth 54/08* KBS 610 125s+
    • Ping Glide Stealth 58/08* KBS 610 125s+
    • Evnroll ER2B
  • Lagavulin62Lagavulin62 Members  2343WRX Points: 322Handicap: 15Posts: 2,343 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #11

    I saw some of the interview yesterday when JD was praising his new bagman. If he needs all that help it makes you wonder why he would seek it in an egomaniac porter? JD needs a new shrink more than I first realized. He sure fits the stereotype of a one major winner with the lone major the PGA.

    Posted:
  • 00steven00steven Northern MIMembers  296WRX Points: 176Handicap: 12Posts: 296 Greens
    Joined:  #12

    This might be the right thing to save Jason Days career. Not that it’s horrible but he has a lot of potential. Seems to me he’s trying hard to impress Stevie too.

    Posted:
    Driver: Taylormade M3  
    3 Wood: Taylormade M4
    3 Hybrid: Taylormade M4
    4 iron: Taylormade GAPR mid
    5/6:Titleist AP1 716 
    7-9 Titleist CB 710
    PW: Titleist CB 716 
    Wedges: 52/56 Titlest SM7 60 Titleist SM6
    Putter: Ping Sigma 2 Fetch
    Ball: Bridgestone Tour B XS
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • legitimategolflegitimategolf Golf hard New York NYUnregistered  4853WRX Points: 827Posts: 4,853 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #13

    Stev-ie!
    Stev-ie!
    Stev-ie!

    Posted:
  • rafalrafal Members  5886WRX Points: 344Posts: 5,886 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #14

    On -, @00steven said:

    This might be the right thing to save Jason Days career. Not that it’s horrible but he has a lot of potential. Seems to me he’s trying hard to impress Stevie too.

    As he should, Stevie's record dwarfs Day's.

    Posted:
    TM M4 10.5* Matrix Ozik HD6 S
    TM M3 3W Matrix Ozik HD6 S
    TM M4 Rescue 3
    TM R15 Rescue 5 PXi 5.5
    Titleist AP2 5-P PXi 5.5
    PING Glide 52*SS 58*WS 60*TS
    TM DLL+ 34.5"
  • Lagavulin62Lagavulin62 Members  2343WRX Points: 322Handicap: 15Posts: 2,343 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #15

    On -, @rafal said:

    On -, @00steven said:

    This might be the right thing to save Jason Days career. Not that it’s horrible but he has a lot of potential. Seems to me he’s trying hard to impress Stevie too.

    As he should, Stevie's record dwarfs Day's.

    When did stevie boy win a major? I guess I missed it.

    Posted:
  • rafalrafal Members  5886WRX Points: 344Posts: 5,886 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #16

    On -, @Lagavulin62 said:

    On -, @rafal said:

    On -, @00steven said:

    This might be the right thing to save Jason Days career. Not that it’s horrible but he has a lot of potential. Seems to me he’s trying hard to impress Stevie too.

    As he should, Stevie's record dwarfs Day's.

    When did stevie boy win a major? I guess I missed it.

    Was before 2010 so it's ok.

    Posted:
    TM M4 10.5* Matrix Ozik HD6 S
    TM M3 3W Matrix Ozik HD6 S
    TM M4 Rescue 3
    TM R15 Rescue 5 PXi 5.5
    Titleist AP2 5-P PXi 5.5
    PING Glide 52*SS 58*WS 60*TS
    TM DLL+ 34.5"
  • Lagavulin62Lagavulin62 Members  2343WRX Points: 322Handicap: 15Posts: 2,343 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #17

    On -, @rafal said:

    On -, @Lagavulin62 said:

    On -, @rafal said:

    On -, @00steven said:

    This might be the right thing to save Jason Days career. Not that it’s horrible but he has a lot of potential. Seems to me he’s trying hard to impress Stevie too.

    As he should, Stevie's record dwarfs Day's.

    When did stevie boy win a major? I guess I missed it.

    Was before 2010 so it's ok.

    I don’t equate carrying a bag to winning a tournament. When stevie’s name is on the winner’s check I will give him his due.

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • buckeyeflbuckeyefl Members  6106WRX Points: 1,101Posts: 6,106 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #18

    On -, @Lagavulin62 said:

    I saw some of the interview yesterday when JD was praising his new bagman. If he needs all that help it makes you wonder why he would seek it in an egomaniac porter? JD needs a new shrink more than I first realized. He sure fits the stereotype of a one major winner with the lone major the PGA.

    Because he's good at what he does and has more experience than anyone in the world with the top players in the world.

    Posted:
  • bscinstnctbscinstnct Members  28864WRX Points: 5,680Posts: 28,864 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  edited Jun 24, 2019 #19

    On -, @golfandfishing said:

    2 straight events without a mention of an injury or illness. Maybe Steve Williams influenced him to man up a bit too.

    Lol, can you imagine what SW would say to Day if he whined about being sick or too injured to play?

    Be like,

    Did I ever tell you about the time TW played blind in one eye the day after playing navy seal and jumping on a flashbang grenade? And won?

    Posted:
  • bspnbspn Members  136WRX Points: 128Posts: 136 Fairways
    Joined:  #20

    The mental side of the game has always been one of Day's biggest weaknesses. His pre-shot visualization and breathing routine is painful to watch at times, so if SW can help anywhere it will be cutting out the crap and just hitting the shot - Day clearly has the talent so getting rid of some of the BS and just playing golf might be good for him.

    Posted:
  • idriveidrive gone golfin Members  2389WRX Points: 349Posts: 2,389 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #21

    On -, @bscinstnct said:

    On -, @golfandfishing said:

    2 straight events without a mention of an injury or illness. Maybe Steve Williams influenced him to man up a bit too.

    Lol, can you imagine what SW would say to Day if he whined about being sick or too injured to play?

    Be like,

    Did I ever tell you about the time TW played blind in one eye the day after playing navy seal and jumping on a flashbang grenade? And won?

    Wasn't that the same grenade that blew TW's knee out also?

    Posted:
  • PowderedToastManPowderedToastMan Members  4287WRX Points: 1,501Posts: 4,287 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #22

    Jason Day is one of those guys that benefits more so than the average tour player from a great caddie. Many of the legends of the game consider Steve Williams one of the best caddies, if not the best.

    It has the potential to be a great relationship.

    Posted:
    Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being. Reformed club ho.

    In the bag:

    PING. Lots of PING.
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • grm24grm24 Western PAMembers  4466WRX Points: 1,510Posts: 4,466 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  edited Jun 25, 2019 #23

    On -, @idrive said:

    Can you imagine how bad Tiger's career would have been/be without Steveo? He's obviously the reason Tiger won as many times as he did. If Stevo hadn't been on the bag he'd still be searching for his first 2nd major.

    FIFY! Tiger won his first major with Fluff on the bag.

    Posted:
    Post edited by grm24 on
  • lowheellowheel LOWHEEL Members  6784WRX Points: 1,885Posts: 6,784 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #24

    On -, @idrive said:

    On -, @rafal said:

    Multiple posts without Stevie bashing. Surprised!
    Oh, also, no "caddies don't matter" posts yet. Must be early.

    I'm up now... lmao

    It's truly hard to believe that JDay was World's #1 just a short time ago. Especially considering he did it without Stev-oline.

    Can't wait to see Stev-oline accepting the Trophy when JDay wins... we all know the only way JDay wins is with Stevo on the bag.

    It's also become apparent now the TMade guys have no idea how to fit their player(s). Clubs, ball etc.

    Can you imagine how bad Tiger's career would have been/be without Steveo? He's obviously the reason Tiger won as many times as he did. If Stevo hadn't been on the bag he'd still be searching for his first major.
    Congrats Stevo on a fine career and making all these guys you carried a bag for successful.

    Posted:
  • OldTomMorrisOldTomMorris Edinburgh, ScotlandMembers  3390WRX Points: 1,200Posts: 3,390 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #25

    On -, @PowderedToastMan said:

    Jason Day is one of those guys that benefits more so than the average tour player from a great caddie. Many of the legends of the game consider Steve Williams one of the best caddies, if not the best.

    It has the potential to be a great relationship.

    Legends of the game discuss great caddies, is there a book??

    Posted:
    Titleist 910D3 8.5°
    TaylorMade M3 15°
    Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
    Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
    Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
    Titleist Pro V 1x
  • OldTomMorrisOldTomMorris Edinburgh, ScotlandMembers  3390WRX Points: 1,200Posts: 3,390 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #26

    Supposedly Jason Day is now letting a caddy dictate the way he plays golf, sounds like a really bad idea to me.

    Posted:
    Titleist 910D3 8.5°
    TaylorMade M3 15°
    Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
    Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
    Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
    Titleist Pro V 1x
  • VindogVindog Don't order the schnitzel. They're using schnauzer! Members  18116WRX Points: 1,051Posts: 18,116 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #27

    I know Stevie is an easy target because of...well, because of who he is, and his mouth.

    But I'll be damned if this stuff isn't coincidental. Whether it is just perceived personal confidence, or actual on course improvement it works. Nobody can refute that it works.
    Nobody.

    Posted:
    run of the mill driver with stock shaft
    a couple of outdated hybrids
    shovel-ier shovels
    wedges from same shovel company
    some putter with a dead insert and
    a hideous grip
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • MountainGoatMountainGoat Mid-MarylandMembers  2715WRX Points: 1,289Posts: 2,715 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #28

    I just think that Jason benefits from on course coaching, both strategy and motivation. Stevie could be exactly the right guy to provide it. It’s a more assertive version of the service a caddy is traditionally supposed to provide.

    Posted:
  • PowderedToastManPowderedToastMan Members  4287WRX Points: 1,501Posts: 4,287 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #29

    On -, @OldTomMorris said:

    On -, @PowderedToastMan said:

    Jason Day is one of those guys that benefits more so than the average tour player from a great caddie. Many of the legends of the game consider Steve Williams one of the best caddies, if not the best.

    It has the potential to be a great relationship.

    Legends of the game discuss great caddies, is there a book??

    I think at least 10-20 people would read that book.

    Posted:
    Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being. Reformed club ho.

    In the bag:

    PING. Lots of PING.
  • idriveidrive gone golfin Members  2389WRX Points: 349Posts: 2,389 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  edited Jun 25, 2019 #30

    On -, @Vindog said:

    I know Stevie is an easy target because of...well, because of who he is, and his mouth.

    But I'll be damned if this stuff isn't coincidental. Whether it is just perceived personal confidence, or actual on course improvement it works. Nobody can refute that it works.
    Nobody.

    I can. JDay just finished 7 shots off the lead.
    He hasn't won with Steveo on the bag.
    Unless he wins nobody can say his on course game has improved.
    Nobody.

    Edit: Including Adam Scott

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 IowaClubWRX  21414WRX Points: 5,373Posts: 21,414 ClubWRX
    Joined:  #31

    It's all fun and games until the caddie doesn't have you hitting the right club at a critical moment in the Open Championship.

    Posted:
4

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.