Jason and Stevie

Comments

• idriveidrive gone golfin Members Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I honestly believe this is back firing on JDay which is unfortunate. Just a matter or time before he realizes it if he doesn't already.

Anyone know how much a caddie makes if his player doesn't make the cut?

So now the question is who leaves who first.

• Bluefan75Bluefan75 Members Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@wkuo3 said:
    I never disliked him, or loved him, even when he was high five-ing with TW on the 18th many times during the broadcasting.
    However, I have to give respect to him for doing his job better than most of his peer. The trick is not just to get the loop, but to keep it that long is a work in itself.
    He certainly has my respect for doing his job well, not many today could say that.
    You love him or hate him, he is a character on the PGA Tour, branded and sealed. I also liked his way of not caring for how others think of him. How was that song goes ? I Did It My Way...........
    He might be older and appeared to be softer. I know the old dogs won't change with time, they just won't bark as much because they're tired. I know, since I'm old and stubborn, as wife would describe me to my surgeon.

Half of the reason Williams could be like he was was his employer. Let's see anyone else's caddy take the bib off to walk up 18 and see how long that lasted.

Easy to be a character when your player could take a nine-iron to the knees of another player and the tour would fine him for getting in the way.

• MountainGoatMountainGoat Mid-MarylandMembers Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting to see Stevoline taking his bib off on 18 even without any advertising on his undershirt and JDay not making the cut.

Anyone still think this is a good thing for JDay or the caddie really will/can make a difference... for the better, not worse?

I'd think it's about time for JDay to start rehearsing his "this isn't working out" speech. Still interested to see how this is going to unfold. Waiting for Vegas to release the odds on who leaves who first...

• wkuo3wkuo3 RELEASE Members Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@idrive said:
    Interesting to see Stevoline taking his bib off on 18 even without any advertising on his undershirt and JDay not making the cut.

Anyone still think this is a good thing for JDay or the caddie really will/can make a difference... for the better, not worse?

I'd think it's about time for JDay to start rehearsing his "this isn't working out" speech. Still interested to see how this is going to unfold. Waiting for Vegas to release the odds on who leaves who first...

Yes, and no magic was performed on the wounded warrior. The wounded warrior should look at TW and many others as a mirror to reflect upon himself. The only way to stay in the game is clear. Get healthy first instead of worrying about staying in the game. He should go have a chat with Jack NIcklaus.
    And the retiree should stay retired instead of mistaken his own identity as a miracle worker.

• Railroading13Railroading13 NebraskaMembers Posts: 664 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jday needs to go see Gankas and commit the offseason to getting his swing back and to the point he doesn't have to worry about injuries. GG said in an interview if he could have 1 new tour student his top choice would be to work with JDay and thinks he could really help him. I believe him

WITB

Cobra King LTD 9.5 Fujikura Pro 73 X
    Cobra Bio Cell 14.5 Diamana D+ 80 X
    Cobra Bio Cell+ 18.5 Diamana Ahina 80X
    Mizuno MP18 Fli Hi 4-5 KBS Tour 130X
    Mizuno MP18 SC 6-PW KBS Tour 130X
    Mizuno S18  52 degrees
    Mizuno T5  56 and 61
    Odyssey O Works 7s W/ Superstroke 50G counterweight
  • MountainKingMountainKing Members Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@idrive said:
    I honestly believe this is back firing on JDay which is unfortunate. Just a matter or time before he realizes it if he doesn't already.

I believe there's a base pay for the caddies out there and then a percentage of the earnings, SW is probably charging a pretty penny for that base pay with his resume.

Taylormade M1 8.5* Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 73x
    Taylormade Stage 2 HL Accra FX 300
    Callaway Razr Tour Hybrid 19* Nunchuk
    Rocketbladez Tour 4-PW TT X100
    Tour Preferred 50/54 S400
    TM HI Toe 58 ATV S400
    TM Itsy Bitsy

edited Jul 24, 2019 1:30pm #69

@MountainKing said:
    I believe there's a base pay for the caddies out there and then a percentage of the earnings, SW is probably charging a pretty penny for that base pay with his resume.

That's my contention, as well. I think Stevie is functioning as more of a course coach than caddie and is being paid accordingly. From what we've seen so far, the problem appears to be that JDay can't hit the shots that Stevie is recommending. He hits it high and far and has a solid short game. What he doesn't have are the 'tweeter' shots. If we see Stevie next year it will be a sign that JDay wants to develop that part of his game. If not, then he's decided to just accept his limitations.

• agolf1agolf1 Members Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

The experiment is over citing "disconnect."

Titleist 915 D4 10.5*, Diamana S+ Blue 60 S-Flex
    Titleist 915F 16.5* & 21.0*, Diamana S+ Blue 70 S-Flex
    Ping G25 5-PW (25*-44*), UW (49*), SW (54*), CFS R-Flex
    Ping Zing 2 L/S (57*)
    Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Putter
    Backup Lob Wedges:  Ping Eye 2+ (58*) or Ping Eye 2 XG (60*)
  • mukstermukster The secret IS in the dirt North of the 49thMembers Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Callaway XR16 driver, 9 degrees, Diamana S+ shaft
    Callaway Epic Subzero 13.5, Mitsubishi Fubuki Z 65
    Cobra Baffler Rail H 17* hybrid, 
    Cobra F8 22* hybrid
    Srixon Z765 5-PW irons, KBS Tour V shafts
    Cleveland CBX 50* wedge
    Hogan Equalizer 54* wedge
    Mizuno S18 58* wedge
    Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter
  • OldTomMorrisOldTomMorris Edinburgh, ScotlandMembers Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Titleist 910D3 8.5°
    TaylorMade M3 15°
    Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
    Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
    Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
    Titleist Pro V 1x
  • KevinnzKevinnz Members Posts: 281 ✭✭✭✭

JD should have Colin back on his bag, he needs someone that is capable of making a decision over shots for him. Stevie will fit Brooks nicely, who is like tiger, makes his own decisions, and stevie is left alone just doing the caddying bits and pieces. Surely Stevie is very good at just being a caddy, but he is no coach.

@Kevinnz said:
    JD should have Colin back on his bag, he needs someone that is capable of making a decision over shots for him. Stevie will fit Brooks nicely, who is like tiger, makes his own decisions, and stevie is left alone just doing the caddying bits and pieces. Surely Stevie is very good at just being a caddy, but he is no coach.

Brooks should not even spend a nanosecond thinking about a caddy switch. For what possible reason would he think about hiring Williams?

Titleist 910D3 8.5°
    TaylorMade M3 15°
    Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
    Titleist Pro V 1x
  • MattyO1984MattyO1984 Members Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Just couldn't see how the two of them could possibly work. Stevie with ultimate hard man persona that he puts on and JDay with the I need to WD because I have the sniffles attitude meant they they were never going to be great or long lasting bedfellows...not that Stevie would know anything about that of course...

Titleist TS3 8.5 Stiff Diamana D+
    Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black
    Titleist 915Hd 17.5 Stiff Diamana S+
    Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW Stiff KBS Tour
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08 & 54.10
    Titlesist Vokey SM7 60.04
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
    ProV1x 2019

Interesting. In my view, Jason just couldn't hit the shots Stevie wanted him to hit.

• KevinnzKevinnz Members Posts: 281 ✭✭✭✭

@OldTomMorris said:

@Kevinnz said:

Brooks should not even spend a nanosecond thinking about a caddy switch. For what possible reason would he think about hiring Williams?

nono im not saying brooks should switch but stevie fits into the kinda caddy that BK prefers and would have some sparks.

• GoGoErkyGoGoErky Members Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Kevinnz said:

Brooks is doing just fine with his caddie. Imagine how good brooks would be if he practiced/played more in between events

• c7015c7015 Members Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@c7015 said:

@wkuo3 said:
    It'll be interesting to see how long the honeymoon will last between the injured warrior and the tired steed. My guess is two seasons if it last that long.

If Jason does not win by The Masters Steve is gone

Steve will never tarnish his rep as a winner, I'm sure he is a great caddy but let's be honest lucky to be along for the ride with Tiger.

boom even sooner

TS3 Smoke 70g (S Flex)
    913 FD 3 wood Whiteboard (X Flex)
    915 F 5 wood Blueboard (S Flex)
    712U 4 Iron
    715CB 5-6
    718MB 7-PW 
    Vokey SM7 50, 55, 60 
    SC Newport 2.5

@OldTomMorris said:

@MountainGoat said:

Interesting. In my view, Jason just couldn't hit the shots Stevie wanted him to hit.

Day shouldn't be taking direction like that from a caddy period, he is a major winner and a former world #1.

Jason has always taken direction from his caddy. He had Colin Swatton, his coach, on his bag for most of his career. He hasn’t well since abandoning that kind of direction.

@MountainGoat said:

@OldTomMorris said:

@MountainGoat said:

Day shouldn't be taking direction like that from a caddy period, he is a major winner and a former world #1.

Jason has always taken direction from his caddy. He had Colin Swatton, his coach, on his bag for most of his career. He hasn’t well since abandoning that kind of direction.

Totally different, a caddy and player discussing strategy in realtime, yes. Stevie Williams dictating how Jason Day should approach his golf and what shots he should be working on is insane.

Titleist 910D3 8.5°
    TaylorMade M3 15°
    Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
    Titleist Pro V 1x

@OldTomMorris said:

@MountainGoat said:

@OldTomMorris said:

@MountainGoat said:

Totally different, a caddy and player discussing strategy in realtime, yes. Stevie Williams dictating how Jason Day should approach his golf and what shots he should be working on is insane.

We'll just have to disagree. The entire thrust of this thread was my contention that Jason was trying to fill that void, and that he was trying to do it with Stevie.

• LICCLICC Members Posts: 893 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Vindog said:
    I know Stevie is an easy target because of...well, because of who he is, and his mouth.

But I'll be damned if this stuff isn't coincidental. Whether it is just perceived personal confidence, or actual on course improvement it works. Nobody can refute that it works.
    Nobody.

Jason Day just seemed to refute it

• BodlesBodles AustraliaMembers Posts: 152 ✭✭✭

@idrive said:

Pretty good call from just over a month ago

Ping G400 LST - Project X Black 6.5 75gram
    Mizuno CLK #2 Hybrid at 14 degrees - Speeder Evolution 75 stiff
    Callaway Big Bertha 18 degree hybrid at 17 degrees - Recoil F4 Shaft
    Mizuno MP-18 Fli-Hi 2Iron - Fujikura Atmos Blue Shaft
    Mizuno JPX 900 Hot Metal Irons 4-PW - Project X LZ 5.5 115 gram
    Mizuno MP-T5, 54, 60 degree Wedges
    Rife IBF Aussie Tour Edition putter
  • wkuo3wkuo3 RELEASE Members Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Jason needs to be healthy again ( if that's possible) before he could return to the winning form.
    He can do well on the Tour with any caddy if, he is healthy.
    This sports wears on you at the competitive level, next to American football. Recreational play is fine if not done excessively.

• BodlesBodles AustraliaMembers Posts: 152 ✭✭✭

I think for some reason he's lost a bit of spark and is searching for it, I also think he'll get it back and be ok, fingers crossed. I don't think he is to far away.

Ping G400 LST - Project X Black 6.5 75gram
    Mizuno CLK #2 Hybrid at 14 degrees - Speeder Evolution 75 stiff
    Callaway Big Bertha 18 degree hybrid at 17 degrees - Recoil F4 Shaft
    Mizuno MP-18 Fli-Hi 2Iron - Fujikura Atmos Blue Shaft
    Mizuno JPX 900 Hot Metal Irons 4-PW - Project X LZ 5.5 115 gram
    Mizuno MP-T5, 54, 60 degree Wedges
    Rife IBF Aussie Tour Edition putter
  • munichopmunichop Members Posts: 260 ✭✭✭✭

Without a healthy back he will never regain the form he once had. He is another example of what I believe is the biggest legacy of Tiger's career- the shortening of golf careers due to the all out commitment to bomb and gouge golf. Certain guys will last longer than others but in general the bodies will wear out sooner from the speeds these guys generate.

Jday's a patient man for lasting as long as he did with Stevoline on the bag. Had to be hard for JDay to have Stevoline receive the credit when he had a decent round (not tournament) and then receive all the criticism for having a bad round.

Until they start hitting the shots, this giving the caddie credit for a players success is just silly.

I'm happy JDay came to his senses and dumped this egomaniac, though it couldn't have taken much.... and predict he'll be back next year playing, competing once again and his potential.

• mosesgolfmosesgolf Members Posts: 6,878 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Can SW be considered a master jockey who gets the best out of his thoroughbreds?

Ping G400 MAX 9 Aldila 125 MSI 70 x
    Ping G 14.5 3 wood Tour 80 Stiff
    Ping G Crossover 18  AWT 2.0 Stiff
    Ping G400 4-PW Modus 105 Stiff
    Ping Glide 2 50*
    Ping Glide  2 54*
    Cleveland 588 60
    TM Spider Tour 38
  • JaNelson38JaNelson38 Members Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@munichop said:
    Without a healthy back he will never regain the form he once had. He is another example of what I believe is the biggest legacy of Tiger's career- the shortening of golf careers due to the all out commitment to bomb and gouge golf. Certain guys will last longer than others but in general the bodies will wear out sooner from the speeds these guys generate.

Yep. Lotta truth to this. Although I think the biggest legacy of Tiger's career is the fact that a ton of golfers who had great careers are not looked upon as such because Tiger basically won 1 out of every 2 or 3 tournaments he entered.

Day had a great start to the season too, but his year all unraveled at Bay Hill when he had to WD with the back injury. He had a decent showing at the Players and backdoored a good finish at Augusta, but his season has been basically all downhill since that WD.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file