2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

How to mentally play tournament golf ??

golf1010

A tournament is long, you have to balance concentrating while also not burning out. If it's multi-day, its difficult to remain completely focused constantly over a number of days.

Game wise, I would understand you're going to hit bad shots, and its recovering from those bad shots. Basically, take advantage of your good shots, and try to hold on during your bad. Don't throw away a round because your start isn't what you want.

One other thing I'd mention, on the swing, on in relation to your question. You're swing changes over the round; it's different than hitting balls for an hour straight. Try to adapt practice to taking time inbetween shots.

Interesting question. I used to have an issue with this as a junior. I think every golfer that plays competitive golf probably comes across this at one point or another. And while this is usually no longer a problem there are times where this can distract me.

I think the big thing is that I stopped caring what the other playing partners were doing. I will say that audibly ‘calling my shot’ before I hit the ball in pre-shot routine helped a ton. I took that from Dr. Bhrett McCabe and I have probably mentioned it about a million times.

You don’t have to say it so loud that you sound like a madman, but just under your breath.

Something like ‘okay, the wind is blowing pretty good from 4 o’clock. My target is the chimney on the red house. I’m going to aim at that small spruce tree and the ball will draw back to the chimney on the red house.’

While I try to not use swing thoughts/visuals, I might throw that in the mixed in that pre-shot routine. Usually if I’m working on something new. But it’s best to get it down and just ‘feel’ the swing thought(s) and then call your shot and go from there.

For me, it un-clutters the mind and I can focus. And I can still be very sociable.

I also go into rounds of golf with the mindset that a big part of this game is not just technique and results…it’s about being able to have razor-sharp focus in different spurts over 4-hours.

There’s an old saying ‘don’t let perfect get in the way of better.’ I think a lot of people, including myself, tend to think you need to have perfect focus and because that is such a daunting task that they don’t bother.

I don’t need to be Ben Hogan out on the course and have ice in my veins from the time I tee it up to the time I hit my last putt on the 18th hole for roughly 14,400 straight seconds.

Instead, I just need to focus the best I can on each shot. If I shoot 72, it’s a success if I focused well on every one of those 72 shots. Which may take me 20-30 seconds to on each shot.

In the other time that I am not hitting the golf shot, I can just be myself.

RH

• Like 3

> @RichieHunt said:

> Interesting question. I used to have an issue with this as a junior. I think every golfer that plays competitive golf probably comes across this at one point or another. And while this is usually no longer a problem there are times where this can distract me.

>

> I think the big thing is that I stopped caring what the other playing partners were doing. I will say that audibly ‘calling my shot’ before I hit the ball in pre-shot routine helped a ton. I took that from Dr. Bhrett McCabe and I have probably mentioned it about a million times.

>

> You don’t have to say it so loud that you sound like a madman, but just under your breath.

>

> Something like ‘okay, the wind is blowing pretty good from 4 o’clock. My target is the chimney on the red house. I’m going to aim at that small spruce tree and the ball will draw back to the chimney on the red house.’

>

> While I try to not use swing thoughts/visuals, I might throw that in the mixed in that pre-shot routine. Usually if I’m working on something new. But it’s best to get it down and just ‘feel’ the swing thought(s) and then call your shot and go from there.

>

> For me, it un-clutters the mind and I can focus. And I can still be very sociable.

>

> I also go into rounds of golf with the mindset that a big part of this game is not just technique and results…it’s about being able to have razor-sharp focus in different spurts over 4-hours.

>

> There’s an old saying ‘don’t let perfect get in the way of better.’ I think a lot of people, including myself, tend to think you need to have perfect focus and because that is such a daunting task that they don’t bother.

>

> I don’t need to be Ben Hogan out on the course and have ice in my veins from the time I tee it up to the time I hit my last putt on the 18th hole for roughly 14,400 straight seconds.

>

> Instead, I just need to focus the best I can on each shot. If I shoot 72, it’s a success if I focused well on every one of those 72 shots. Which may take me 20-30 seconds to on each shot.

>

> In the other time that I am not hitting the golf shot, I can just be myself.

>

>

>

>

>

> RH

>

that's a great post

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

I'm the opposite of Richie. When I was a junior and university golfer I had confidence and ice water in events

That changed when I got a real job and couldn't play and practice as much. At 51, I don't care as much anymore

I will say my great rounds in events are carefree. No stress, just picking targets (I myself using Richie's shot calling and with good pals I do it to antagonize them), then hitting shots and moving on . .whether the shot was awesome or awful

Funny story from the weekend on focus. Played a big 2 man scramble with my nephew. We're both 1 caps. He plays d2 golf. He lost focus on about 4 shots and all of them were awful. (Shank, fat, hook OB). He was literally chirping over the ball and then goosed the shot. He learned a lesson. Be loose but bear down for the 30 seconds during your shot. I'm not saying be Ben Hogan and abhor "Jolly Golf" but get in a target frame of mind when it's your shot

• Like 1

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

Nothing wrong with ice water. Playing a little pissed off helps with focus.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

Keep ur head down. Dont watch them hit, just ask what they got on the next tee, if you finish the hole first, go to the next tee. Joke around during waits but just focus on what ur doing

• Like 1

Pro Caddie & I teach golf

Driver: PXG 9* ; HZDRUS Handcrafted 63 6.0

Long Game: PXG 13*, PXG 16*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 83 6.5 (flip between the two)

Driving Iron: PXG 0311 4 iron bent 17.5*; ProForce VTS 100HX 

Hybrid: PXG Gen 1 19*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 100 6.5

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

Wedges: Titleist SM9 50*, 54*; True Temper DG S300 (36 inches)

L-Wedge: Custom 60*; KBS Tour Stiff (36 inches)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 35 inches: Super Stroke GP Tour

Ball: ProV1x

> @"Santiago Golf" said:

> Keep ur head down. Dont watch them hit, just ask what they got on the next tee, if you finish the hole first, go to the next tee. Joke around during waits but just focus on what ur doing

I always hope I never get paired with guys that do this. And if I do happen to get paired with someone like you, I’m letting them know that they can help the group out by getting the flag when they are the first one to hole out.

There is not much worse than being the last guy to putt and then having to get the flag while you have the box on the next tee. It’s actions like this (and pros who recommend others do the same) that ruin it for the rest of us.

• Like 1

Several things. Expect bad breaks. It will happen. Cliche. But. The next > @RichieHunt said:

> Interesting question. I used to have an issue with this as a junior. I think every golfer that plays competitive golf probably comes across this at one point or another. And while this is usually no longer a problem there are times where this can distract me.

>

> I think the big thing is that I stopped caring what the other playing partners were doing. I will say that audibly ‘calling my shot’ before I hit the ball in pre-shot routine helped a ton. I took that from Dr. Bhrett McCabe and I have probably mentioned it about a million times.

>

> You don’t have to say it so loud that you sound like a madman, but just under your breath.

>

> Something like ‘okay, the wind is blowing pretty good from 4 o’clock. My target is the chimney on the red house. I’m going to aim at that small spruce tree and the ball will draw back to the chimney on the red house.’

>

> While I try to not use swing thoughts/visuals, I might throw that in the mixed in that pre-shot routine. Usually if I’m working on something new. But it’s best to get it down and just ‘feel’ the swing thought(s) and then call your shot and go from there.

>

> For me, it un-clutters the mind and I can focus. And I can still be very sociable.

>

> I also go into rounds of golf with the mindset that a big part of this game is not just technique and results…it’s about being able to have razor-sharp focus in different spurts over 4-hours.

>

> There’s an old saying ‘don’t let perfect get in the way of better.’ I think a lot of people, including myself, tend to think you need to have perfect focus and because that is such a daunting task that they don’t bother.

>

> I don’t need to be Ben Hogan out on the course and have ice in my veins from the time I tee it up to the time I hit my last putt on the 18th hole for roughly 14,400 straight seconds.

>

> Instead, I just need to focus the best I can on each shot. If I shoot 72, it’s a success if I focused well on every one of those 72 shots. Which may take me 20-30 seconds to on each shot.

>

>

>

>

>

>

> RH

>

Great post !

I was given that tip by a mentor of mine a couple seasons ago. He said “ tell you brain how far to hit it “. Especially on scoring iron shots. I’ll get a number I want it to land. Not including roll and I’ll simply say “ 147 , 147 “ 2-3 times as I step into the ball. I pride myself on distance control. I swear your Brain can calculate yardage and send it to your hands. You just have to tell it and then get out of the way.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @"Santiago Golf" said:

> Keep ur head down. Dont watch them hit, just ask what they got on the next tee, if you finish the hole first, go to the next tee. Joke around during waits but just focus on what ur doing

Yep. Huge reason why I prefer to walk. Easier to stay to yourself and not have to be distracted by chit chat.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Learn to relax between shots, acquire the ability to focus on demand for the shot at hand instantly.

All the good golfers I know personally had the ability to turn on and off their concentration like flipping a light switch. One can not do that if too nervous or too tired. They all seem to be able to get in the zone around 10 seconds or less. No one could be focused and tense all through the tournament, even the best.

You lost your focus probably because you had spent too much energy between the shots.

> @RichieHunt said:

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> RH

>

This is "Mastering Golf's Mental Game" by Dr. Michael Lardon to a T. His method is to go through the same routine for every shot -- analyze (access lie, wind, slope, pin location, trouble) > visualize (call the shot you want to hit and visualize that exact shot) > execute (simple thought like "finish high"). But if you aren't in your routine, you're relaxed and not thinking about golf to save your focus for when you need it.

His method advocates playing rounds with a mental scorecard as your actual score. So if you make Par on a Par 4, but you only completed your focused routine on 3 of the shots, you would give yourself a 3 on the mental scorecard. At the end of the round, you divide your mental score by your raw score to get a percentage. So if you shot a 75, but only completed your focused routine on 67 of them, you scored an 89%, and you use that as a measuring stick. He claims tour pros are all 95% or higher.

Driver: Ping G400 Max w/ Ping Alta CB 55 Stiff (44.5")

Fairway: Ping G410 SFT 3W w/ Ping Alta CB 65 Stiff

Hybrids: Titleist 818 H1 3H/4H w/ Aldila Rogue Black 85 Stiff

Irons: Ping i210 5i-UW w/ Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 Stiff (+0.5"/1.5* upright)

Wedges: Ping Glide Stealth 2.0 54 SS / 58 ES w/ Ping AWT 2.0 Wedge Flex

Putter: Taylormade Spider X Navy (35")

I still have yet to figure out how.

I have joined a lot of tournaments in the last five years. So far, the best I have shot was 1 over par and I was really chatty with the people I played with because I knew them and they were ok with talking in between shots. I did not realize I shot that well after the round. The following day I got into the championship flight and both players did not say a word the whole 18 holes and I shot 16 over par. lol I think I burned my mind out and my body followed after.

For me, it seems like my best tournament rounds are when I get a break from the pressure in between shots and I just go on autopilot. I know that's not going to work because most of the time, I'll be paired with someone who I do not know. But looking back, it seems like all my best rounds where when I was not that serious in between shots.

> @RichieHunt said:

For what it's worth this is something advanced drivers are encouraged to do in the UK by instructors. It helps concentrate the mind on the task and trigger appropriate responses.

https://www.iam-bristol.org.uk/index.php/articles/associate-s-guide/16-commentary-spoken-thoughts

Mind you these days most of my commentary tends to descend into sarcasm pretty quickly.

Notwithstanding conditions like ADHD and Dyslexia, allowing oneself to be distracted is simply a lack of self-control and takes time to learn. I dealt with both those conditions so was forced to learn self-control before I could ever focus on important tasks. If I allowed those conditions to drive me the lack of self-control would have hindered playing football and a myriad of other activities in my life.

If you have a modicum of self-control, it will take an undetermined number of tournaments to get used to the environment, its demands and making shots under pressure. Block out most everything around you and stay focused on the task at hand. If you can demand of yourself, it's that simple. Otherwise, it means all sorts of activities will distract you making shots more difficult. Each time you need to focus on the conditions you face, make a shot plan then focus on executing that shot and do that over and over +/- 70 times.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17° 2i Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

Play comfortable. Hit low stress shots. Enjoy yourself, a tournament is still recreation.

I play in many golf assoc. tournaments. I enjoy it. You're usually playing with players that have some skill and have good course etiquette. I enjoy seeing them play well, also.

PING Rapture ^10 driver

Callaway UW 19^

PING Anser Forged Irons 3-pw
PING Forged wedges
Wilson 8802 Putter

> @ryan983 said:

> > @"Santiago Golf" said:

> > Keep ur head down. Dont watch them hit, just ask what they got on the next tee, if you finish the hole first, go to the next tee. Joke around during waits but just focus on what ur doing

>

> I always hope I never get paired with guys that do this. And if I do happen to get paired with someone like you, I’m letting them know that they can help the group out by getting the flag when they are the first one to hole out.

>

> There is not much worse than being the last guy to putt and then having to get the flag while you have the box on the next tee. It’s actions like this (and pros who recommend others do the same) that ruin it for the rest of us.

In Junior Golf they always reconmmend to keep by first person done go to the next hole, 2nd person grab the flag, and 3rd finish the hole

Pro Caddie & I teach golf

Driver: PXG 9* ; HZDRUS Handcrafted 63 6.0

Long Game: PXG 13*, PXG 16*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 83 6.5 (flip between the two)

Driving Iron: PXG 0311 4 iron bent 17.5*; ProForce VTS 100HX 

Hybrid: PXG Gen 1 19*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 100 6.5

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

Wedges: Titleist SM9 50*, 54*; True Temper DG S300 (36 inches)

L-Wedge: Custom 60*; KBS Tour Stiff (36 inches)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 35 inches: Super Stroke GP Tour

Ball: ProV1x

Tournament reps, I don't know many people that play great when they only have a few competitive rounds a year. Kind of like public speaking, I don't know any great presenters that do it randomly here and there. Said another way, also keep your expectations in check if you're not in a regular tournament schedule.

Betting during casual rounds is also a great way to prepare.

> @gators78 said:

> Tournament reps, I don't know many people that play great when they only have a few competitive rounds a year. ...

Getting used to tournaments and oddball events is part of it. You need to play a year or two of tournaments just to get used to the grind and the unwritten protocols. And tournament circuits themselves vary in formality, pace of play, etc. I have played mostly district-level amateur circuit so far. Some of my adventures:

* At the district senior championship, it rained heavy the night before the second round. We got a text telling us tee offs would be delayed by two hours. I got to the course after an hour drive, as it was still raining and slow going due to secondary roads being underwater. We had the "awards luncheon" before play even started. They changed my PM tee time and playing group twice in the hour after lunch, as no-shows mounted. The marshalls basically put everyone **on the clock** on the first tee before we hit a shot. Every other tee box we got a drive-by "hurry up" warning. The open championship flight, the final groups, only played 16 holes due to darkness. I got into the clubhouse and realized I was one stroke out of the prize money.

* At a much happier one-day event, we got to play Glen Echo Country Club, the oldest CC west of the Mississippi in its original location. This track hosted the original Olympics golf championship as part of the St. Louis World's Fair in 1904. It was an old-style course, worked into a beautiful rolling landscape a century ago by crews using shovels and horse-drawn wagons. My highlight: I was only +1 on the par 3 holes. As our circuit players were wrapping up, a hickory stick league was teeing off - guys in nickers and shirts and ties playing vintage clubs from the short tees. I've only played Glen Echo twice, but that was enough top put it into my Top 10 favorite courses I have ever played.

It also takes awhile to learn the various courses. We're supposed to a get practice rounds (for a side greens fee), but two of the busier courses never have any slots open. And, every course has three or four of "those holes" that tie everybody in knots. One such hole is No. 6, a 500-yd. par 5 with fairway bunkers in all the wrong places, and an uphill approach into a swirling head wind. After a couple of bouts of pain, I decided to go with back-to-back 4 hybrids and a knockdown 7i into the green. Bigger hitters had partial wedge shots blowing all over the place on their shorter approaches. I snuck my way to a bogie, which was better than half the field.

On two-day events, realize that one round will probably be better than the other. A 15-HDCPer I played with opened with a 94 and finished with an 81. And play within yourself. If you end up in the rough or behind a tree, take a shot that will get you back in the sunshine. Don't go from bad to worse trying to be heroic.

And try to have some fun playing golf. (Fun is allowed!!!)

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

I can tell you that my main problem over the years has been thinking about score and not shot. Its so hard to do. "Oh, if I par this I'll break 80". Then comes a double bogey. Sometimes I just can't get it out of my head.

Taylormade M2
Callaway Epic 15 degree
Titleist 910H
Titleist 716CB with Dynamic Gold S400 4-PW
Titleist Vokey 56, 60
Titleist Scotty California Monterey 35 in
Titleist Pro V1x