2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Shafts Comparable to the Matrix Black Tie

Myherobobhope

I have a lack of options at my local club as a hard swinging idiot... I tend to just buy clubs on whims from here, and don't often get to demo new shafts. I have been successful with a Matrix Black Tie 70 gram (Stiff and X stiff for the most part) pretty consistently. I'd still love to get spin down a touch and in general, I like to try new things.

What shafts should I be on the lookout for? Thanks!

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

I went from a black tie (cause I was worried about fakes, since matrix was doing that before they folded)... to an Aldila RIP Phenom NL. That shaft, esp in X, is about the only shaft I've played that significantly reduced spin, like the black tie.

Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Rogue Elite 859 65R

Adams Idea Pro 20° VS Proto
Nike VR Pro Combo 3-PW XP115
Nike VR 54/58/62 XP115
Nike MC04w 
TP5X

> @"Hack Daddy" said:

> I went from a black tie (cause I was worried about fakes, since matrix was doing that before they folded)... to an Aldila RIP Phenom NL. That shaft, esp in X, is about the only shaft I've played that significantly reduced spin, like the black tie.

Matrix being out of business makes a lot of sense in terms of me googing them earlier today!! I've gotten along with Aldila in the past, so maybe I'll check out the Phenom.

Thanks!

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

Aldila rogue silver 70

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

> @geochitown said:

> Aldila rogue silver 70

Thanks! I've been looking at the new Silver 130 but don't have the cash!

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

Right!

I’m not sure but how about the HZRDS Black 75?

Maybe some others can chime in on the hzrds?

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

I have not gotten along with a HAZARDUS shaft thus far... No idea why.

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

Below are a few low-low shafts I’ve tried on the more affordable side of shaft experimentation. Like you, fitters have limited choices where I live. I have yet to try the Black tie, though, what about it do you like? Was it the 7M3? Anyway, here’s my rather short list, cheers!

Rogue MAX low (red graphics)

NV 2KXV Green

Diamana D+ whiteboard

Spring 2024

Callaway Mavrik Max 1W 10.5° HZRDUS Smoke 60

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 3W 15° HZRDUS Smoke 70

Cobra LTDx LS 5W 17.5° HZRDUS Smoke 70

Cobra LTDx 4Hy 21° HZRDUS Smoke 80

Srixon ZU85 4U 23° / Z585 6i-7i / Z785 8i-AW

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 56° 60°
SeeMore Mini Giant DF / Piretti Teramo / MannKrafted MA99 Proto

https://www.golfwrx.com/660122/witb-golfwrx-members-edition-jbrunk/

I have had a couple of black ties... 7m3 is in my Adams, have a cobra Ltd with I think a made for 7m5. Have no idea... just know I get along with It.

The matrix just loads well for me... I am not sure exactly why... I like the diamana d+ a lot, but never seem to see them in fitting carts... I might give aldila another try.

I’m set for a bit with my current set up, but will probably burn some cash next season on a new custom fit driver.

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

> @Myherobobhope said:

> > @"Hack Daddy" said:

> > I went from a black tie (cause I was worried about fakes, since matrix was doing that before they folded)... to an Aldila RIP Phenom NL. That shaft, esp in X, is about the only shaft I've played that significantly reduced spin, like the black tie.

>

> Matrix being out of business makes a lot of sense in terms of me googing them earlier today!! I've gotten along with Aldila in the past, so maybe I'll check out the Phenom.

>

> Thanks!

>

Out of business and put out a lot... A LOT of fake shafts on the way out.

The RIP Phenom NL is what you want. Not just a RIP or RIP Phenom... the NL makes a big difference. It's the stiffest tip they manufacturer.

Nike VR 54/58/62 XP115
Nike MC04w 
TP5X

Pro White or Pro Orange. I've been bouncing back and forth between my trusty Black Tie and Pro Orange in my 915D4. I just got my TS4 yesterday, so I'll be testing that head with the two above, along with the HZRDUS Smoke that came with it. I can tell you between the Black Tie and PO, the performance is almost identical as far as launch, spin, and distance go. The two differences- A) The PO feels way better, but B) The Black Tie is much more anti-left.

Titleist TSi4 9.75 HZRDUS Smoke 
Titleist 915F 15.5 HZRDUS Smoke
Titleist U500 3 iron
Titleist 718CB 4 thru PW
Titleist Vokey SM7 50-08, 54-08, 58-08

Scotty Cameron Phantom X6

The Matrix Black Tie is actually quite an extreme profile and very few match it. Hack Daddy is right though in that the RIP Phenom NL is a very close match, and probably one of the very few out there that is. The Rogue Silver that was mentioned is *somewhat* similar as it is basically a smoothed out version of the extreme Black Tie.

An interesting side note; the White Tie actually starts and ends in the same place as the Black Tie in terms of butt and tip stiffness, however it could not go about reaching those points in more of a different way. Here are the EI Profiles of the two, White Tie in white:

ah7fnfmaf0o1.jpg

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 9* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16.5* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 18* Graphite Design AD-IZ 95X
Callaway X-Forged Single Diamond 22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

> @"Hack Daddy" said:

> > @Myherobobhope said:

> > > @"Hack Daddy" said:

> > > I went from a black tie (cause I was worried about fakes, since matrix was doing that before they folded)... to an Aldila RIP Phenom NL. That shaft, esp in X, is about the only shaft I've played that significantly reduced spin, like the black tie.

> >

> > Matrix being out of business makes a lot of sense in terms of me googing them earlier today!! I've gotten along with Aldila in the past, so maybe I'll check out the Phenom.

> >

> > Thanks!

> >

>

> Out of business and put out a lot... A LOT of fake shafts on the way out.

>

> The RIP Phenom NL is what you want. Not just a RIP or RIP Phenom... the NL makes a big difference. It's the stiffest tip they manufacturer.

Do you have proof of "A LOT of fake shafts on the way out"? I remember you got burned by a label on a shaft being wrong, and some bad quality on another. It is not accurate to throw out wide statements like that. Especially for budget club builders who are looking for older and cheaper shafts. Those cases represent probably less than 1% of shafts out there.

Yes, buyer beware, but there are a lot of old Matrix shafts available that are just fine.

Have Fun - Ready Golf - Repair Divots/Marks - FORE

> @Thayneil said:

> i bought a few Matrix on close out not happy with any of them.Couple older ones are OK Radix 4s etc.Couple white ties and Deus plus Rul Z cant hit for love nor money.

> Got in my head now they are all mis labeled etc and will be reshafting

>

>

>

>

Were you fit for the shafts, or just trying blind based on specs?

> @"Puttersaurus Rex" said:

> > @"Hack Daddy" said:

> > > @Myherobobhope said:

> > > > @"Hack Daddy" said:

> > > > I went from a black tie (cause I was worried about fakes, since matrix was doing that before they folded)... to an Aldila RIP Phenom NL. That shaft, esp in X, is about the only shaft I've played that significantly reduced spin, like the black tie.

> > >

> > > Matrix being out of business makes a lot of sense in terms of me googing them earlier today!! I've gotten along with Aldila in the past, so maybe I'll check out the Phenom.

> > >

> > > Thanks!

> > >

> >

> > Out of business and put out a lot... A LOT of fake shafts on the way out.

> >

> > The RIP Phenom NL is what you want. Not just a RIP or RIP Phenom... the NL makes a big difference. It's the stiffest tip they manufacturer.

>

> Do you have proof of "A LOT of fake shafts on the way out"? I remember you got burned by a label on a shaft being wrong, and some bad quality on another. It is not accurate to throw out wide statements like that. Especially for budget club builders who are looking for older and cheaper shafts. Those cases represent probably less than 1% of shafts out there.

>

> Yes, buyer beware, but there are a lot of old Matrix shafts available that are just fine.

You have poor recollections. They weren't bad shaft labels. They were completely different shafts painted with different paint schemes. Totally different flexes, as well.

If it's an old, pre LA Golf shaft Matrix, it represents more than just 1%. You are making an accusation towards me in my effort to warn other hobby builders, but have your facts completley wrong.

I don't have the pics on my new phone, but if you don't want to tuck tail and admit you're wrong, I'll dig them off my hard drive.

Again - Do NOT buy and left over Matrix stock.

Edit: Diamond Tour Golf pulled much of the stock they had, after I made them aware of it, and they verified.

Golf deals and steals aka golf xcess knowing and ADMITTEDLY still sells these fakes.

But what what do I know...

Nike VR 54/58/62 XP115
Nike MC04w 
TP5X

> @Valtiel said:

> The Matrix Black Tie is actually quite an extreme profile and very few match it. Hack Daddy is right though in that the RIP Phenom NL is a very close match, and probably one of the very few out there that is. The Rogue Silver that was mentioned is *somewhat* similar as it is basically a smoothed out version of the extreme Black Tie.

> An interesting side note; the White Tie actually starts and ends in the same place as the Black Tie in terms of butt and tip stiffness, however it could not go about reaching those points in more of a different way. Here are the EI Profiles of the two, White Tie in white:

>

> ah7fnfmaf0o1.jpg

>

>

Thank you for posting the profile; as you said, it's quite unique.

OP, the NL is going to be the closest shaft to the Black Tie.

Nike VR 54/58/62 XP115
Nike MC04w 
TP5X

> @"Hack Daddy" said:

> > @Valtiel said:

> > The Matrix Black Tie is actually quite an extreme profile and very few match it. Hack Daddy is right though in that the RIP Phenom NL is a very close match, and probably one of the very few out there that is. The Rogue Silver that was mentioned is *somewhat* similar as it is basically a smoothed out version of the extreme Black Tie.

> > An interesting side note; the White Tie actually starts and ends in the same place as the Black Tie in terms of butt and tip stiffness, however it could not go about reaching those points in more of a different way. Here are the EI Profiles of the two, White Tie in white:

> >

> > ah7fnfmaf0o1.jpg

> >

> >

>

> Thank you for posting the profile; as you said, it's quite unique.

>

> OP, the NL is going to be the closest shaft to the Black Tie.

Thanks! I'll give it a try next time I feel like changing shafts (soon).

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

> @"Hack Daddy" said:

> > @"Puttersaurus Rex" said:

> > > @"Hack Daddy" said:

> > > > @Myherobobhope said:

> > > > > @"Hack Daddy" said:

> > > > > I went from a black tie (cause I was worried about fakes, since matrix was doing that before they folded)... to an Aldila RIP Phenom NL. That shaft, esp in X, is about the only shaft I've played that significantly reduced spin, like the black tie.

> > > >

> > > > Matrix being out of business makes a lot of sense in terms of me googing them earlier today!! I've gotten along with Aldila in the past, so maybe I'll check out the Phenom.

> > > >

> > > > Thanks!

> > > >

> > >

> > > Out of business and put out a lot... A LOT of fake shafts on the way out.

> > >

> > > The RIP Phenom NL is what you want. Not just a RIP or RIP Phenom... the NL makes a big difference. It's the stiffest tip they manufacturer.

> >

> > Do you have proof of "A LOT of fake shafts on the way out"? I remember you got burned by a label on a shaft being wrong, and some bad quality on another. It is not accurate to throw out wide statements like that. Especially for budget club builders who are looking for older and cheaper shafts. Those cases represent probably less than 1% of shafts out there.

> >

> > Yes, buyer beware, but there are a lot of old Matrix shafts available that are just fine.

>

> You have poor recollections. They weren't bad shaft labels. They were completely different shafts painted with different paint schemes. Totally different flexes, as well.

>

> If it's an old, pre LA Golf shaft Matrix, it represents more than just 1%. You are making an accusation towards me in my effort to warn other hobby builders, but have your facts completley wrong.

>

> I don't have the pics on my new phone, but if you don't want to tuck tail and admit you're wrong, I'll dig them off my hard drive.

>

> Again - Do NOT buy and left over Matrix stock.

>

> Edit: Diamond Tour Golf pulled much of the stock they had, after I made them aware of it, and they verified.

>

> Golf deals and steals aka golf xcess knowing and ADMITTEDLY still sells these fakes.

>

> But what what do I know...

Hack - I found the pictures that you were referencing in the iron build for your son. Yes, the painted designation was wrong on some iron shafts. I will admit that I am wrong there. I am not doubting your findings and experiences with Matrix at all, heck even I don't want to buy inferior or fake products. I just think that labeling ALL left over Matrix stock as fake is a blanket statement that is a generalization and harmful to the hobby. Look at Thayneil's comments above. He is now doubting authenticity of shafts from Matrix's heyday, when it could in reality be a swing or fitting issue.

I agree if Matrix was painting leftover stock of mismatched iron shafts to sell for whatever issues they were going through, that is bull and a greater harm to golf. Also if Golf Deals and Steals are knowingly selling fakes, then that is illegal, correct?

Do other people have evidence of fake DEUS, Altus, White, Black, Red ties, RULZ, TPHD? Were these shafts direct shipped from Matrix, or counterfeited overseas? Clarifying which models were found to be fake is something that I think we can all agree on as helpful information. We may never know the full extent of these issues. I do not have the time or equipment to get all CSI up in here, but it would be cool if someone did.

Outside of this thread and possible replies, I will refrain from commenting on your Matrix observations going forward.

> @"Puttersaurus Rex" said:

> > @"Hack Daddy" said:

> > > @"Puttersaurus Rex" said:

> > > > @"Hack Daddy" said:

> > > > > @Myherobobhope said:

> > > > > > @"Hack Daddy" said:

> > > > > > I went from a black tie (cause I was worried about fakes, since matrix was doing that before they folded)... to an Aldila RIP Phenom NL. That shaft, esp in X, is about the only shaft I've played that significantly reduced spin, like the black tie.

> > > > >

> > > > > Matrix being out of business makes a lot of sense in terms of me googing them earlier today!! I've gotten along with Aldila in the past, so maybe I'll check out the Phenom.

> > > > >

> > > > > Thanks!

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > Out of business and put out a lot... A LOT of fake shafts on the way out.

> > > >

> > > > The RIP Phenom NL is what you want. Not just a RIP or RIP Phenom... the NL makes a big difference. It's the stiffest tip they manufacturer.

> > >

> > > Do you have proof of "A LOT of fake shafts on the way out"? I remember you got burned by a label on a shaft being wrong, and some bad quality on another. It is not accurate to throw out wide statements like that. Especially for budget club builders who are looking for older and cheaper shafts. Those cases represent probably less than 1% of shafts out there.

> > >

> > > Yes, buyer beware, but there are a lot of old Matrix shafts available that are just fine.

> >

> > You have poor recollections. They weren't bad shaft labels. They were completely different shafts painted with different paint schemes. Totally different flexes, as well.

> >

> > If it's an old, pre LA Golf shaft Matrix, it represents more than just 1%. You are making an accusation towards me in my effort to warn other hobby builders, but have your facts completley wrong.

> >

> > I don't have the pics on my new phone, but if you don't want to tuck tail and admit you're wrong, I'll dig them off my hard drive.

> >

> > Again - Do NOT buy and left over Matrix stock.

> >

> > Edit: Diamond Tour Golf pulled much of the stock they had, after I made them aware of it, and they verified.

> >

> > Golf deals and steals aka golf xcess knowing and ADMITTEDLY still sells these fakes.

> >

> > But what what do I know...

>

> Hack - I found the pictures that you were referencing in the iron build for your son. Yes, the painted designation was wrong on some iron shafts. I will admit that I am wrong there. I am not doubting your findings and experiences with Matrix at all, heck even I don't want to buy inferior or fake products. I just think that labeling ALL left over Matrix stock as fake is a blanket statement that is a generalization and harmful to the hobby. Look at Thayneil's comments above. He is now doubting authenticity of shafts from Matrix's heyday, when it could in reality be a swing or fitting issue.

>

> I agree if Matrix was painting leftover stock of mismatched iron shafts to sell for whatever issues they were going through, that is bull and a greater harm to golf. Also if Golf Deals and Steals are knowingly selling fakes, then that is illegal, correct?

>

> Do other people have evidence of fake DEUS, Altus, White, Black, Red ties, RULZ, TPHD? Were these shafts direct shipped from Matrix, or counterfeited overseas? Clarifying which models were found to be fake is something that I think we can all agree on as helpful information. We may never know the full extent of these issues. I do not have the time or equipment to get all CSI up in here, but it would be cool if someone did.

>

> Outside of this thread and possible replies, I will refrain from commenting on your Matrix observations going forward.

Fair enough, sir. And I do agree with you. I would just hate others in our community to have to go through what a few of us had to early on.

Have a good week.

Nike VR 54/58/62 XP115
Nike MC04w 
TP5X

> @Valtiel said:

> The Matrix Black Tie is actually quite an extreme profile and very few match it. Hack Daddy is right though in that the RIP Phenom NL is a very close match, and probably one of the very few out there that is. The Rogue Silver that was mentioned is *somewhat* similar as it is basically a smoothed out version of the extreme Black Tie.

> An interesting side note; the White Tie actually starts and ends in the same place as the Black Tie in terms of butt and tip stiffness, however it could not go about reaching those points in more of a different way. Here are the EI Profiles of the two, White Tie in white:

>

> ah7fnfmaf0o1.jpg

>

>

So does this shaft profile say something distinct about my swing? I tend to launch high and with a ton of spin... I haven't really gotten a chance to hit many different "funky" shafts, just the ones in my local fitting cart, and I'm not in the build profile, so my options are few and far in between.

I'm also wondering if I just like a stiff tip more than anything else... I played a RIP ALPHA with some success.

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

> @Myherobobhope said:

> > @Valtiel said:

> > The Matrix Black Tie is actually quite an extreme profile and very few match it. Hack Daddy is right though in that the RIP Phenom NL is a very close match, and probably one of the very few out there that is. The Rogue Silver that was mentioned is *somewhat* similar as it is basically a smoothed out version of the extreme Black Tie.

> > An interesting side note; the White Tie actually starts and ends in the same place as the Black Tie in terms of butt and tip stiffness, however it could not go about reaching those points in more of a different way. Here are the EI Profiles of the two, White Tie in white:

> >

> > ah7fnfmaf0o1.jpg

> >

> >

> So does this shaft profile say something distinct about my swing? I tend to launch high and with a ton of spin... I haven't really gotten a chance to hit many different "funky" shafts, just the ones in my local fitting cart, and I'm not in the build profile, so my options are few and far in between.

>

> I'm also wondering if I just like a stiff tip more than anything else... I played a RIP ALPHA with some success.

>

i wouldn't say it says anything about your swing, but rather your feel preferences. And even then it is more likely a product of something simple like weight or as you said, tip stiffness. Golfers are adaptable so it is not always wise to read too far into these things, but more data is always helpful! It could be the loss of stiffness from the butt to mid that loads and feels good in transition, or it could be the big stiffness increase towards the tip that makes it feel stout and stable. Or it could just be that the shaft looks cool and gives you confidence, hah! Ya never know until you experiment.

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 9* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16.5* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 18* Graphite Design AD-IZ 95X
Callaway X-Forged Single Diamond 22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant