2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Last attempt at this stupid game

For years, I resisted lessons. Last week, I had a lesson and it was cool to see the video and still photos during the session. I realized I was taking the club outside on the backswing. But, the video confirmation made me realize, I need to fix it. Same for a follow through where I am not getting to a full finish. I think a combination of in-person and remote lessons and wrx should get the job done.

> @Tanner25 said:

> For years, I resisted lessons. Last week, I had a lesson and it was cool to see the video and still photos during the session. I realized I was taking the club outside on the backswing. But, the video confirmation made me realize, I need to fix it. Same for a follow through where I am not getting to a full finish. I think a combination of in-person and remote lessons and wrx should get the job done.

Had lessons complete failure for me, been at this video your swing for about a year

> @Golfbeat said:

> I think that you are really close. Hips a bit more open at impact and chest as well.

I agree, they are slightly more open than they look but I need to practice this for a while, if I mess up the backswing I’m toast and the downswing feel is very strange. 50 balls got me that close after 150 of good contact but open face. Never been that close to the shaft plane before been trying for months maybe a year.

Try an online lesson with Monte Scheinblum , Rebellion golf: https://video.rebelliongolf.com/ I see a few similarities in my swing that he helped me fix(ing).

Woods: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9*, Ventus Blue 6S / TM Stealth Plus+, 15*, MCA Diamana Thump 75S
Hybrid: PXG 0317 X Proto 3H & 4H, Ventus Blue 7S

Irons: Takomo IRON 101, 5-PW, Accra T90i S
Wedges: Cleveland CBX ZipCore  48* Accra T90i S, 53* & 58*, Accra T100i S
Putter: Evnroll ER 1.2, Tour KBS GPS, 33",
 SuperStroke MidSlim 2.0
Ball: Maxfli Tour
Bag/Cart: '20 Nike Air Hybrid / Clicgear 4.0 / Alphard Club Booster V2 / V2 Swivel Kit
Accessories: Arccos 360 / Garmin G80 / Nikon Coolshot Pro Stabilized

I had a few things to work on, but a couple that I see, is club head inside the hands on take away, and left wrist needs to flatten to square the club head before the downswing. He's pretty busy this week, but send him a video, I'm no swing instructor and could be completely wrong, or what I needed may not be what you need.

Woods: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9*, Ventus Blue 6S / TM Stealth Plus+, 15*, MCA Diamana Thump 75S

SuperStroke MidSlim 2.0
Bag/Cart: '20 Nike Air Hybrid / Clicgear 4.0 / Alphard Club Booster V2 / V2 Swivel Kit

Advice:

1. get a professional to help - Monte, Dan, GG, etc.

2. if you want to try something - feel like your right shoulder goes "at the ball" or even "above the ball" in the downswing. It looks like your shoulder needs more around and not as much up and down.

My reasoning (keep in mind i could be completely off base here)

1. your rear shoulder looks like it is crashing into your right side. The movement of the shoulders should be around the spine with less vertical movement. The vertical movement of the swing should occur because of the front bend of your torso.

2. you have to early extend or you would hit a foot behind the ball

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1580770-recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3m4-driver-fitting/"][size=2]M3 Taylormade Experience[/size][/url]

> @dbdors said:

> I had a few things to work on, but a couple that I see, is club head inside the hands on take away, and left wrist needs to flatten to square the club head before the downswing. He's pretty busy this week, but send him a video, I'm no swing instructor and could be completely wrong, or what I needed may not be what you need.

I agree with all of that the club inside the hands was okay on the later one both backswing and downswing it’s a constant fight. If I keep those elbows close and stand the club up it’s fine I just don’t always do it. The left wrist is my nemesis. The second video was slightly better but only a fraction. I think the problem is I have a lot of exaggerations to work on and if I miss/fail one and hit a bad shot I start fiddling.

Golf is a strange game in that regards.

I have to feel the following just to get where I am on that last still at impact.

Do not move my knees(you could drive a bus through them before)

Do not turn and stand the club up

Get left shoulder out(had very flat shoulders)

Keep elbows touching(if not elbow flares, club gets across left wrist cups, right wrist straightens)

Down swing flex right knee drastically

Swing club level around my ankles(not kidding with this it got my shaft angle close to original plane and squared club)

When I tried the level swing it worked a treat but I was expecting it to look plain stupid that’s why a did a second video when I came back. Can’t believe it moved my hands down a little and got the club working out. First time the club hasn’t been dumped under plane coming into the ball and held off. Before this I was letting go with the right hand as it was the only way I could release it. Must thank the guy who started a thread on it the other day.

Just the six swing thoughts lol.

> @"Gamble Gamble" said:

> Advice:

> 1. get a professional to help - Monte, Dan, GG, etc.

> 2. if you want to try something - feel like your right shoulder goes "at the ball" or even "above the ball" in the downswing. It looks like your shoulder needs more around and not as much up and down.

>

> My reasoning (keep in mind i could be completely off base here)

> 1. your rear shoulder looks like it is crashing into your right side. The movement of the shoulders should be around the spine with less vertical movement. The vertical movement of the swing should occur because of the front bend of your torso.

> 2. you have to early extend or you would hit a foot behind the ball

I don’t see much early extension in the last swing at impact?

> @Hilts1969 said:

> Just the six swing thoughts lol.

>

Send Monte that video and don’t be hard on yourself. I was like you ready to quite, but now starting to see some light. It was hard as I had taken a lot of lessons from others. But I going to keep working on the two things that he gave me.

I think your swing looks good, and you’ll be surprised what Monte has to say. I doubt you need to be thinking about 6 things, maybe more like 1 or 2.

Recently went to his camp and one thing that I learned is that it is a long process and you have to trust that it will get better. Even when it’s getting worse, I don’t know about you, but I don’t have time to be at the range 7 days a week, several hours per day. So it will take time.

SuperStroke MidSlim 2.0

> @dbdors said:

> > @Hilts1969 said:

> > Just the six swing thoughts lol.

> >

> Send Monte that video and don’t be hard on yourself. I was like you ready to quite, but now starting to see some light. It was hard as I had taken a lot of lessons from others. But I going to keep working on the two things that he gave me.

> I think your swing looks good, and you’ll be surprised what Monte has to say. I doubt you need to be thinking about 6 things, maybe more like 1 or 2.

> Recently went to his camp and one thing that I learned is that it is a long process and you have to trust that it will get better. Even when it’s getting worse, I don’t know about you, but I don’t have time to be at the range 7 days a week, several hours per day. So it will take time.

Yeah I go once a week but do a bit everyday in doors mainly doing freezers, if i stop at the top and I’m happy I do a couple of exaggerated downswings then take a swing at the ball. I have realised smacking endless balls is not productive. Today I think I hit 200 but it took me over 2 hours.

I never waste a good backswing by not carrying on to the ball even in slow motion. I think doing a backswing then standing up is a lost downswing rep. The downswing exaggeration seems pretty good hope it’s not a one off. In slow motion thinking about swinging level around my ankles gets my right arm so close to my thigh there is no visible gap. At full speed it’s brought my hands down and in a few inches. Crazy how much you have to overdo a feel.

> @Hilts1969 said:

> > @"Gamble Gamble" said:

> > Advice:

> > 1. get a professional to help - Monte, Dan, GG, etc.

> > 2. if you want to try something - feel like your right shoulder goes "at the ball" or even "above the ball" in the downswing. It looks like your shoulder needs more around and not as much up and down.

> >

> > My reasoning (keep in mind i could be completely off base here)

> > 1. your rear shoulder looks like it is crashing into your right side. The movement of the shoulders should be around the spine with less vertical movement. The vertical movement of the swing should occur because of the front bend of your torso.

> > 2. you have to early extend or you would hit a foot behind the ball

>

>

> I don’t see much early extension in the last swing at impact?

> @Hilts1969 said:

> As someone who for years has early extension, overswing, handle pulling.steep and dropping the club below plane I'm close to accepting it.

you mentioned it in your initial text. keep in mind each swing fault will not show up in every swing. If you are early extending it typically occurs because you are too steep and your body fires the hips at the ball to shallow so you dont dig a trench.

what is your big miss? where do you tend to have problems the most? long irons? short irons? everything?

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1580770-recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3m4-driver-fitting/"][size=2]M3 Taylormade Experience[/size][/url]

> @"Gamble Gamble" said:

> > @Hilts1969 said:

> > > @"Gamble Gamble" said:

> > > Advice:

> > > 1. get a professional to help - Monte, Dan, GG, etc.

> > > 2. if you want to try something - feel like your right shoulder goes "at the ball" or even "above the ball" in the downswing. It looks like your shoulder needs more around and not as much up and down.

> > >

> > > My reasoning (keep in mind i could be completely off base here)

> > > 1. your rear shoulder looks like it is crashing into your right side. The movement of the shoulders should be around the spine with less vertical movement. The vertical movement of the swing should occur because of the front bend of your torso.

> > > 2. you have to early extend or you would hit a foot behind the ball

> >

> >

> > I don’t see much early extension in the last swing at impact?

>

> > @Hilts1969 said:

> > As someone who for years has early extension, overswing, handle pulling.steep and dropping the club below plane I'm close to accepting it.

>

> you mentioned it in your initial text. keep in mind each swing fault will not show up in every swing. If you are early extending it typically occurs because you are too steep and your body fires the hips at the ball to shallow so you dont dig a trench.

>

> what is your big miss? where do you tend to have problems the most? long irons? short irons? everything?

I’m not exaggerating when I say I change my swing daily even every hole some days, when I got some lessons he said show us your swing and I said which one lol. Anyhow normally my irons are fine maybe a pull on the shorter clubs, mid irons okay, driver is a shocker. Mainly push push slice. If I aim well left I hit it straight as an arrow.

The original swing this morning showed a little EE but I dump it from last parallel out of habit from a steep transition. In those pics you can see I’m not very steep but the club drops under plane high hands hold off release bent right arm. I went to the range with this and everything was hit well but losing it right even wedges which have never happened before.

I tried everything to square the face and only letting the right hand come off squared the face. Obviously that isn’t a fix. I ran out of balls and nearly left. I was determined to fix it as contact was very good.

I got another bucket and ploughed on. Then for some reason I thought high hands steep shaft into impact what’s the opposite. I remembered a video by mark crossfield showing different ways of squaring the face and one of them was a lower handle affects club face. As my hands were high I thought try low hands which sends the club out. I tried to level out the club stupidly low for me and bang it straightened out my shots with a lower ball flight. You can see from the stills from this morning and then later my hands are lower closer and EE has gone.

The club whips out almost tracing the shaft plane. Impact is better but from last parallel to impact ie how I got there is pretty big.

The only time I lost it slightly is if trying to swing level I didn’t follow through post Impact enough.

I would describe it like Malaska swing level without tipping the shaft part. I’m trying to keep the whole shaft level with the ground really low. It’s a strange feeling like cutting heads off a row of flowers using the full length of the shaft

> @jut111 said:

> Your first sentence in the post above is why you’re not good at golf. I’d spend much more effort changing that then worrying about ee or the shaft plane or anything else.

Define not good:-)

Tinkering doesn’t help I know but on video the swings probably look very similar I’m just always looking for feels when things are going poorly, I tend to have good runs in short spells. Yesterday until the end my best results were letting go with my right hand I wouldn’t do that long term. I shall try to stick with what I’m doing now for a while but when you hit several poor shots in a row the urge becomes quite strong.

I'm probably going to be alone at this. But your head is moving towards the ball. That would also explain your push push right with driver. Well at least partially.

I understand the tinkering, as I did it often. But what really helped me out, was quit focusing on the advanced things and focus on the basics. I know it's boring and seems not as important. But I honestly think that's why a lot of guys struggle. They start watching videos and reading tips and trying everything, but nothing seems to be the cure.

For a game where the ball is not moving, it's very important to keep your head movement to a minimum. Posture and balance are tied together with that. Good posture allows you to make big shoulder turns and hip turns without having your head move everywhere.

They say watch the ball. I don't think you need to see the ball to hit it. I think watching the ball the whole time gives you a marker to know where your head is. Ball gets farther away or closer, your moving your head.

A lot of guys will say posture is a minimal change. I don't agree with that. I saw in another thread that GG will work on your posture first until you get a good one before moving on. I think that's awesome. I believe that without solid posture, you will always struggle.

There's only a few things that all PGA players have in common. Posture is one of them.

Your head can move slightly away from target on the way back (like really sightly) and go back to the same spot at impact (slightly lower is ok).

But that's what I would do if I were you.

1) always and I mean always watch that ball. Stop watching your club.

2) pull out a mirror, put a piece of tape where your head is at address. Take it back to the top and then check where you are. Same thing at impact.

3) it's hard to tell on DTL. But it doesn't look like your weight pressure is favoring your trail foot at top of your backswing. It looks either balanced or more towards your lead foot. Reverse pivot is a swing killer.

3 is tied in there because if you decide to work on not moving your head. It's important to still make your turns to the max, or else your just standing like a statue. And that's not going to get you the results you want. Use good posture and balance to keep your head where it is while turning. If you do it correctly, you'll start feeling a lot of pressure in your right foot. And that's a good thing.

You obviously love this game and the puzzle of the golf swing. Don't give up man. You'll eventually start making progress that sticks. Just don't bypass the basics. Posture is something that needs to be looked at continuously. It's the beginning of everything. If you're wrong from the start, it's a hell of a ride to try and fix it in less than a second. Good luck

• Like 1

Your hands move OUT and away from the body on the takeaway. This pulls the club head in and puts it behind you, which is difficult to recover from.

Hands must move IN to start. Practice in a mirror. You may have to feel as though the hands move in towards the body to achieve the correct move but when you combine it with a turn they end up moving on the correct path. It feels odd to start with but then becomes more natural. Working on the same thing after an online lesson with Iteach.

This is also a tip Jack Nicklaus has given Rory on more than one occasion and that is to imagine there are razor blades directly in front of your hands and that you must avoid them at all costs. Practice a few swings whilst looking at the hands and you will see what I mean.

• Like 1

> @AndersUK said:

> Your hands move OUT and away from the body on the takeaway. This pulls the club head in and puts it behind you, which is difficult to recover from.

> Hands must move IN to start. Practice in a mirror. You may have to feel as though the hands move in towards the body to achieve the correct move but when you combine it with a turn they end up moving on the correct path. It feels odd to start with but then becomes more natural. Working on the same thing after an online lesson with Iteach.

>

> This is also a tip Jack Nicklaus has given Rory on more than one occasion and that is to imagine there are razor blades directly in front of your hands and that you must avoid them at all costs. Practice a few swings whilst looking at the hands and you will see what I mean.

+1 My pro has me working on the same thing. My hands/arms and club lift and go outside of the takeaway. It's a hard habit to break. I believe it originates from a lack of body rotation on the backswing.

• Like 1

> @wagolfer7 said:

> I'm probably going to be alone at this. But your head is moving towards the ball. That would also explain your push push right with driver. Well at least partially.

>

> I understand the tinkering, as I did it often. But what really helped me out, was quit focusing on the advanced things and focus on the basics. I know it's boring and seems not as important. But I honestly think that's why a lot of guys struggle. They start watching videos and reading tips and trying everything, but nothing seems to be the cure.

> For a game where the ball is not moving, it's very important to keep your head movement to a minimum. Posture and balance are tied together with that. Good posture allows you to make big shoulder turns and hip turns without having your head move everywhere.

>

> They say watch the ball. I don't think you need to see the ball to hit it. I think watching the ball the whole time gives you a marker to know where your head is. Ball gets farther away or closer, your moving your head.

>

> A lot of guys will say posture is a minimal change. I don't agree with that. I saw in another thread that GG will work on your posture first until you get a good one before moving on. I think that's awesome. I believe that without solid posture, you will always struggle.

>

> There's only a few things that all PGA players have in common. Posture is one of them.

>

> Your head can move slightly away from target on the way back (like really sightly) and go back to the same spot at impact (slightly lower is ok).

>

> But that's what I would do if I were you.

> 1) always and I mean always watch that ball. Stop watching your club.

>

> 2) pull out a mirror, put a piece of tape where your head is at address. Take it back to the top and then check where you are. Same thing at impact.

>

> 3) it's hard to tell on DTL. But it doesn't look like your weight pressure is favoring your trail foot at top of your backswing. It looks either balanced or more towards your lead foot. Reverse pivot is a swing killer.

>

> 3 is tied in there because if you decide to work on not moving your head. It's important to still make your turns to the max, or else your just standing like a statue. And that's not going to get you the results you want. Use good posture and balance to keep your head where it is while turning. If you do it correctly, you'll start feeling a lot of pressure in your right foot. And that's a good thing.

>

> You obviously love this game and the puzzle of the golf swing. Don't give up man. You'll eventually start making progress that sticks. Just don't bypass the basics. Posture is something that needs to be looked at continuously. It's the beginning of everything. If you're wrong from the start, it's a **** of a ride to try and fix it in less than a second. Good luck

I can see the head movement a bit in the first swing and I have probably gone a little past centre at the top. I have a overswing issue. I think the later swing in the green top is much better from a dtl perspective. Thanks for the info will keep an eye on it