"Carts due in by 8pm!"

Comments

• ChipNRunChipNRun Members Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

The cart rules have a lot to do with staffing and scheduling and sound operations plans. The semi-private club where I play has a stable and fairly well-trained work crew, and is fairly liberal about how late you can keep the carts out.

One thing they do is close the range and pro shop about 7 PM, so the guys can do the final ball pick-up before it's too dark. Then, one or two guys will stay back to take in the final carts. What helps the kids is that the late finishers will throw away all the trash in their carts so the kids just have to rinse the carts and park them on the chargers.

A couple of years ago the staff was shorthanded, and I had a cart guy yell at me for being inconsiderate and keeping the cart out until dark. Hey, he made up the rule on the spot, I had no warning. I didn't complain to management, but I never saw him again after that day.

What's In The Bag *...

Driver: Calla XR16 Pro 10.5° (set open) / Fuji Evolution II TS Speeder 665 R-flex 63 gr.
    FWs: Tour Edge XRail 4W + 7W / GraphiteDesign G60 R-flex 60 gr.
    or Calla Alpha 815, set 16° + 20° / Fuji Motore Speeder 665 R-flex 62 gr.
    Hybrid: Cobra FlyZ 3H 19° + 4H 22° / Matrix VLCT Altus Lite flex 73 gr.
    Irons: Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i - PW** / KBS Tour 90 R-flex 101 gr.
           4i refitted with SteelFiber 780 HLS Hybrid shaft R Flex 75 gr.
    Wedge: Calla MD3 48°/8.SS + 54°/12.WS +
    MD.PM 60°/10  | KBS Tour R-flex 110 gr. |
    Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) / 34" w. Ping Pistol PP60 grip (stock)
    Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag
    Ball: Calla SuperSoft
    * Either 7W or 3H left out, depending on course.
    ** Wedges: 46°and 48°are competing for bag space.
  • tocinotocino Members Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

As long as the policy is posted somewhere or the proshop tells you about it before you purchase a round then I have no issues with carts needing to be back at a certain time.

• FergusonFerguson Members Posts: 5,091 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Roody said:

@a_crook said:

@Roody said:
    Why should the pro shop staff have to wait around all evening for you to bring the cart in whenever you please?

Uh, because it's your job and you're in a service industry?
    That's part of the job. Golfers want to play as long as they can, and should be able to. Grow the game.

If you don't set a policy, it becomes open-ended and people will abuse it. This place set a policy. Being a good customer means knowing the policy and following it.

Don't like it? Show them your displeasure, and take your money elsewhere.

Agreed. A sale is a 2-way transaction. Management sets policy.

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one, or few.

What's next keeping the pool open until midnight?

• North ButteNorth Butte Members Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Ferguson said:

At the public courses where I learned to play, in summer tee times started at 7:30am. I'd get the first tee time of the day and they didn't mind if I showed up to walk a brisk nine holes at 6:30, then checked in when the pro shop opened (and play another 18).

I'm trying to imagine them doing that now. Some guy would show up online incensed that the course refused to have a cart out waiting for him at 6:30am!

“1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
    1 ten-mile walk every morning.
    1 bed at 11 sharp every night.
    And don't stuff your head with things you don't understand.” 
  • jli2636jli2636 Members Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@cval said:

@Roody said:
    Why should the pro shop staff have to wait around all evening for you to bring the cart in whenever you please?

Because it is their job?

Are you willing to pay more to the course to cover the overhead of the employees having to stay longer than budgeted for?

• cvalcval Members Posts: 51 ✭✭

@jli2636 said:

@cval said:

@Roody said:

Because it is their job?

Are you willing to pay more to the course to cover the overhead of the employees having to stay longer than budgeted for?

Would you rather lose out on the extra green fees? If I can gain a new customer or get more revenue out of the customer the cost of round should cover this. This type of thinking is how companies go out of business. Penny wise dollar foolish.

• Big BenBig Ben Members Posts: 9,140 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Jun 26, 2019 7:17pm #39

All we hear about is the game is shrinking, no money etc etc. Instead of limiting evening golf should consider lighting your 18 hole and adding 1hr to your time tables. Trust me that would influence a few more tee times during the most pleasurable summer hours. A few more tee times adds up over an entire season. More happy customers in a service industry, brilliant! The irony is courses have no issue booking double tees in the morning. Then I wait at the turn for the backup. BB

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
    Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
    Fairway: Titleist 917F2
    Hybrid: A-Grind
    2 iron: Ping Rapture
    Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
    Putter: Evnroll 9.1
    Balls: ProV1
  • OldboyOldboy Members Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Jun 26, 2019 7:20pm #41

@Big Ben said:
    All we hear about is the game is shrinking, no money etc etc. Instead of limiting evening golf should consider lighting your 18 hole and adding 1hr to your time tables. Trust me that would influence a few more tee times during the most pleasurable summer hours. A few more tee times adds up over an entire season. More happy customers in a service industry, brilliant! BB

Increasing post typical work hours golf course availability and convenience during summertime when the sun goes down past 8pm? Now how would that get more people out on the course? There’s an executive course here that lights up at night and it does pretty well

Truly there is nothing, NOTHING that will get a typical USA golfer off the cart and onto his feet. Not even a leisurely twilight round when the course is quiet and the carts have all been put away.

Sigh.

Who ever knew a game that started out being all about walking along hitting a ball with a stick would advance to the point where every golfer feels he has the right to demand a motorized cart to carry him every hole, any time of day or night, no matter the weather? Such is progress.

“1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
  • BrianMcGBrianMcG Members Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

The same people that complain about this rule would also complain about having to pay a full greens fee after 3pm.

Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
    Bobby: I play because I love it.
    Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.
  • King_SlenderKing_Slender Members Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

The course I worked at in high school split the difference nicely I thought - carts went out up until twilight, which started between 6-7, depending on the time of year, and then Twilight was walking only - play as much as you want. That got all carts in about 1/2 hour before it was dark and left enough time to get things cleaned up and wait for the walkers to get off the course before locking up.

I am disappointed in how few people walk now. I bought an old school Jones carry bag to walk whenever I can this summer, but with my regular group, who feel the need to constantly balance beer, cigars, and their speaker, it's a non-starter.

• kevina001kevina001 Members Posts: 77 ✭✭✭
    edited Jun 26, 2019 7:54pm #45

There are many courses that don't allow walking. There are also many courses that just aren't conducive to walking. Poor routing with quarter to half mile treks between holes, etc. I do walk whenever I can. But if I choose to ride, and maybe have a few cold ones during my round (also not conducive to walking), then I think a course with a half decent sense of customer service will allow me to play until it gets dark. And if I'm on a golf vacation, and I want to do an afternoon replay, I don't think I should have to worry about not getting my round in because the course wants to close up shop 3 hours before it gets dark. If you are on the golf course's side in this, then I would guess you also root for the house to win at blackjack.

• BrianMcGBrianMcG Members Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@kevina001 said:
    There are many courses that don't allow walking. There are also many courses that just aren't conducive to walking. Poor routing with quarter to half mile treks between holes, etc. I do walk whenever I can. But if I choose to ride, and maybe have a few cold ones during my round (also not conducive to walking), then I think a course with a half decent sense of customer service will allow me to play until it gets dark. And if I'm on a golf vacation, and I want to do an afternoon replay, I don't think I should have to worry about not getting my round in because the course wants to close up shop 3 hours before it gets dark. If you are on the golf course's side in this, then I would guess you also root for the house to win at blackjack.

Where does it not get dark until 11pm?

Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
    Bobby: I play because I love it.
    Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.

I'm not on anyone's "side". I am just bemused by the expectations that the golf industry has created among the great majority of golfers nowadays.

“1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
    edited Jun 26, 2019 8:28pm #48

@North Butte said:
    Truly there is nothing, NOTHING that will get a typical USA golfer off the cart and onto his feet. Not even a leisurely twilight round when the course is quiet and the carts have all been put away.

Sigh.

Who ever knew a game that started out being all about walking along hitting a ball with a stick would advance to the point where every golfer feels he has the right to demand a motorized cart to carry him every hole, any time of day or night, no matter the weather? Such is progress.

I think this a terrible stereotype. If carts where allowed in other golf destinations around the world trust they would be used. Most club members in the US walk many rounds per year. However many of the successful modern muni’s are routed in and out of developments making walking very difficult. Anyway, if a paying customer chooses to take a cart and have a few “pints” then so be it. Thank God we aren’t wearing wool suites and playing balls made of tree saps either. Progress indeed!

• kekoakekoa ClubWRX Posts: 9,058 ClubWRX

Hey Kevin Na. I'm going to tell your boss to make you work till 10 pm tonight with no overtime. Lets see how you like it.

• Murphy76Murphy76 Members Posts: 91 ✭✭✭

Oh, and if you and the USGA want to "Grow the Game", why don't you go sit around all night waiting for people to bring their carts in. Your altruism and chairity

• BiggErnBiggErn Members Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@jli2636 said:

@cval said:

@Roody said:

Because it is their job?

Then don’t offer twilight rates to get people out later and/or don’t let people tee off after a certain time.

• smashdnsmashdn Let's cut them trees down. Members Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Course here has a better policy IMO. They don't issue carts out after a certain time in the evening. I am not sure of the exact time as I don't take a cart, I walk, I am of able body.

So my answer would be, don't issue a cart out after 4:00 pm and enforce a 4 hour pace of play using rangers and timing clocks. (Another course has clocks located at tees every 2-3 holes that if you are on the correct pace of play will match the time you teed off on number 1. Cheap, and from my experience playing the course, an effective way to keep pace of play.)

One thing my local course did that I do not care for is they moved the range balls inside the pro shop. Used to there was a token operated machine that dispensed them. I could buy extra tokens in the pro-shop and use the range early or late after the shop had closed. If it was open i usually always ducked my head inside the shop to ensure the range was open. It was not uncommon to close the range after a certain time one day per week to pick the range to prepare for it to be mowed early the next day or to close it if it was too wet and balls were plugging. I made sure if I was the last one on the range to straighten up the bag stands and put the range buckets stacked where the cart guy or ranger could pick them up without getting out of the cart.

My mantra is try and leave stuff better and do stuff when I am at the course so the course employees don't have to. The less time they spend straightening up the range or fixing ball marks or picking up trash the more time they can spend mowing, raking bunkers, etc., things that actually impact how the course is to play.

• Carl Spackler3Carl Spackler3 Members Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Roody said:

Did they charge full price for the cart, if so why can’t I play my whole round

Titleist 915 D2
    Ping G 3 W
    Ping G 5W
    Ping G25 Hybrid
    Mizuno JPX 900 hot metal 5-GW
    Vokey 52-08 sm4
    Vokey 56-14 sm6
    Odyssey White Hot RX2 ( but it better be careful)
  • Carl Spackler3Carl Spackler3 Members Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@jerebear21 said:
    Folks have lives including workers.

If you plan to play late buy a pull cart. Problems solved. You are not entitled to anything.

Silly him paying to ride for 18 holes and thinking he’s entitled to do that.....the nerve of people

Titleist 915 D2
    Ping G 3 W
    Ping G 5W
    Ping G25 Hybrid
    Mizuno JPX 900 hot metal 5-GW
    Vokey 52-08 sm4
    Vokey 56-14 sm6
    Odyssey White Hot RX2 ( but it better be careful)
  • jerebear21jerebear21 Don't Go Left ClubWRX Posts: 3,308 ClubWRX

It’s called twilight rate for a reason. (Mind blown isn’t it)

@Carl Spackler3 said:

@jerebear21 said:
    Folks have lives including workers.

If you plan to play late buy a pull cart. Problems solved. You are not entitled to anything.

Silly him paying to ride for 18 holes and thinking he’s entitled to do that.....the nerve of people

thehuyhuynhfoundation.com
    FlashSz 1w ADTP, 3w ADIZ, 5w ADDI, Graphite Design
    Titleist 718 AP2 5-PW, 718 TMB 4i, Accra i100
    Fourteen RM22 53/58 Accra i100
    Tour Newport // SC 009 
  • ImagineThatImagineThat ✭ The Lone Star State ✭Members Posts: 47 ✭✭

All the courses I've every played over the years allowed the carts to stay out until the golfers that paid for them either finished the round, or stopped playing due to darkness. There was never a question about having the carts back by a certain time - it was always determined by whether you could still see well enough to play golf.

edited Jun 26, 2019 11:23pm #59

I don’t recall anyone saying anything about treating the staff with disrespect. That’s a step to far I’m sure we would all agree. Being able to play until dusk however during season seems a simple request. I’m sure the guy who also works hard but can’t make it to the course until 3:30-4 would be appreciative. Maybe he brings his friends! I’m pretty sure there’s a night owl or two employed by the course who doesn’t mind a few extra hours of sleep in the morning.

• Canoe PaddlerCanoe Paddler Members Posts: 197 ✭✭✭

@Ferguson said:

As a former country club life guard, I can tell you that keeping the pool open until midnight can be one of the greatest life decisions one can make.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file