"Carts due in by 8pm!"

12345679»

Comments

• stryperstryper Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@mthomp1495 said:
    My course has no such rule and i've never heard of this rule until reading this thread. I guess I've been lucky. At my course theres still 1 guy in the pro shop who doesn't leave until all carts are in and the parking lot is empty.

I’m that one guy in the shop, along with a cook/bartender, waiting for my cart kid to give me the all clear, so we can lock up. It’s a retirement job for me, and entry level for the others, so we’re not being paid much, but we are still being paid to accommodate the one or two customers who paid $25 at twilight starting time three hours earlier.

From the company’s perspective, the math doesn’t work.

Titleist 917D2, w/UST Mamiya Elements Chrome 7F4T
    Titleist 915Fd, w/Aldila Rogue Black 80-2.8-S
    18* KZG U Iron, w/UST Proforce V2 100-S
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC Fli-Hi 4-5, w/UST Recoil 95 F4
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC 6-P, w/UST Recoil 95 F4
    Titleist Vokey SM5 52-08 F
    Callaway 58* PM Grind 19
    Odyssey O-Works Tank #7
  • Big BenBig Ben Members Posts: 9,140 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 10, 2019 12:27am #243

If one of the fellas runs out and grabs my sticks I’m more than willing to give him 5 skins. Now if he stands there at the clubhouse and waits for me to walk up to the cart not so much. These kids aren’t getting rich and they are there to support the Customers. I show love when I see an honest effort. I will say, I’m not afraid to ask them to do something msc for me either. And usually they seem plenty willing. It’s a symbiotic relationship.

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
    Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
    Fairway: Titleist 917F2
    Hybrid: A-Grind
    2 iron: Ping Rapture
    Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
    Putter: Evnroll 9.1
    Balls: ProV1
  • pinhigh27pinhigh27 Members Posts: 9,701 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Course should be open until dark, especially in areas with limited seasons. Pay the kid their 12 bucks an hour or whatever. It's ridiculous.

You should want people to play your course, ie make money, buy booze, balls, etc. If you say carts in at 8 you're limited people playing after work and etc. Bad business. The costs to keep the kid there are minimal.

How to be in better shape for golf?
    Become a better athlete.
    Don't worry about golf specific.
    Compound lifts w/ linear progress
    Don't forget the mobility work.
    More results, more functional

Spin is not your enemy, everything is a trade-off.
    17 * 1700 goes really far, but doesn't go very straight or consistent
    8* 3500 goes really straight, but doesn't go very far
    Answer for most is somewhere in the middle.
    Pga tour driver avg launch conditions: 11* 2700
  • Hot Rod 71Hot Rod 71 #TheWRX ClubWRX, BST Volunteer Mods Posts: 8,920 ClubWRX

@pinhigh27 said:
    Course should be open until dark, especially in areas with limited seasons. Pay the kid their 12 bucks an hour or whatever. It's ridiculous.

You should want people to play your course, ie make money, buy booze, balls, etc. If you say carts in at 8 you're limited people playing after work and etc. Bad business. The costs to keep the kid there are minimal.

While I agree with this, the problem is those players who will not voluntarily return their cart to clubhouse at dark. Its been my experience over the last 12 years working in a pro shop that the majority of people do not, and will not return at dark. Apparently the term "dark" is subjective.

At my course we place signs at the counter and on the front door stating "carts must be returned by ____", and I would tell everyone who checked in for 18 holes from 4:00 and after, and for 9 holes from 6:00 and after. This time designation was 10 minutes later than the sunset time from our local new/weather app. If the app showed sunset was 8:30, the sign would read "carts must be returned by 8:40".

Most of the time I would allow an additional 10 minutes before it was time to hunt them down. Without fail, I would have send a cart attendant out to find players who would not adhere to the rule. By this time its too dark to see the ball once it leaves the club. They would always act surprised and say something like "oh, I didn't know", or "I can still see".

I understand that after a long day or week at work, people want to get out and play golf and enjoy themselves. But when the rule is clearly posted, and every player is verbally informed of the rule, and then acknowledges the rule, it is the players' responsibility to govern themselves accordingly. The rule is not in place so we can be jerks or prevent someone's fun, but to protect the players and the course from damaging our equipment or injuring themselves while driving a cart in the dark around a course full of creeks, ditches, water hazards, drop offs, etc. There's also the issue of not being able to see your ball or other players on the course. Its difficult to know when to yell "fore" when you can't see your ball or the location of other players who may be in the line of fire.

PING G400 LST 10* - Graphite Design Tour AD TP 6X
    TaylorMade M1 15* Tour Issue - Aldila Tour Blue 75X
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20* - Diamana S+ 80X
    Callaway X-Forged 4-P - DGTI 120 S400
    Callaway MD4 50, 54, 58 - DGTI S400
    Machine M1A
    Titleist Pro V1 Yellow
  • dayvei214dayvei214 Members Posts: 80 ✭✭✭

Our course has carts out until it's pitch black... You would think they are playing night golf with glow in the dark balls or something... A little crappy for guys working though.

• NotYourAverageGolferNotYourAverageGolfer Enjoying the game, one swing at a time Members Posts: 22 ✭✭

I’ve worked pro shop and cart attendant at two separate courses, one a run-down course that is now closed (RIP Beckett) and one private, so I’ve seen it all. I’m all for playing as late as possible, but the owner of the public course didn’t want to pay us more than he had to so we had to tell golfers when they paid to be back by a certain time, which was usually by dark. Of course, this wouldn’t stop guys from being out there until 8:45-9 anyways, even if we did tell then. The private course was different. If members wanted to go out 30 minutes before dark to squeeze in 4-5 holes, they paid for the right to do so. It is a pain when you’ve got homework/studying to do at home (I lived 40 minutes away) but they were the members and we were the employees. We did as we were told. I guess the point i am trying to say is that sometimes it isn’t up to us, but sometimes we do just want to clock out and go home.

• jaycevsjaycevs Members Posts: 39 ✭✭

At a course a few weeks ago, I booked a 7 pm time (its dark after 9) because I am playing with a new player. I know when its dark and have no problem if we don't finish. When I check in the guy (likely retired looking for free golf) says "I don't know how you booked that tee time, but I really need you back by 9." I tell him that's fine. Out on the course, around 8 pm he's driving a cart out by us to see where we are. Later I see him again. Finally around 830 he comes back and says he really needs us to get back in by 845, and at this point I finally go off on him. I told him at check in you told me 9, and further the tee time bought was on the course website, asked if he was the owner, and told him based on working at courses for 4 years if management didn't want to sell these tee times they wouldn't be available every single day. Overall, people whine about pace of play and reasons why younger people don't want to play this game, but I have a list of courses in my area that I can expect to encounter angry older guys who shouldn't be the ambassadors of any company, and my guess is I'm not alone.

• malarijmmalarijm Cleveland, OHMembers Posts: 23 ✭✭
    edited Aug 20, 2019 1:12am #249

Two thoughts:
    1) When I am on my deathbed, I am not going to complain about the 4 holes that were mercilessly ripped away from me by the greedy, filthy rich municipal golf operator making boat payments with my twilight greens fee instead of appreciating the ability (physical and financial) to spend an evening playing 12-14 holes at golden hour alone or with friends or loved ones. You are free to spend your time and hard earned money however you choose, but you are making a conscious choice to let this bother you instead of enjoying the game in whatever window life allows you.

2) I agree that it is frustrating to have to stop playing golf an hour before dark, but supply and demand rule the day. If it were viable to have a club that stays open until the exact minute every patron who paid for discounted golf in a defined window decided they were done, don't you think more clubs would be doing it to differentiate from the other courses in the area? And if you say such courses do exist in your area - appreciate how lucky you are!

The margins in golf course operation are razor thin for many of the courses applicable to this discussion so I think it is presumptuous to think that these decisions are being made to spite customers rather than for an operational or financial necessity?

Edit: What happened to @jaycevs above is bull ****. When you know the expectations and they change on you, you have every right to find some retribution.

Post edited by malarijm on

M6 9
    G30 18
    X Forged UT 18
    Apex CF16 4 thru A
    SM6 56
    HiToe 60
    Odyssey Toulon San Diego
    TP5x

• chrisokeefe12chrisokeefe12 Holland, MIMembers Posts: 75 ✭✭✭

I just played at a course in Northern Michigan and our tee time was 5:30 twilight and I thought we could get 18 in. We made the back 9 by 7:30 and we got kicked off the course. It was such B.S.

• Oz MaxOz Max Members Posts: 144 ✭✭✭
    edited Aug 20, 2019 3:51am #251

@chrisokeefe12 said:
    I just played at a course in Northern Michigan and our tee time was 5:30 twilight and I thought we could get 18 in. We made the back 9 by 7:30 and we got kicked off the course. It was such B.S.

Did you pay Twilight fee or full 18 holes fee?
    Edit: I see you paid Twilight fee, can't see why you're complaining

• chrisokeefe12chrisokeefe12 Holland, MIMembers Posts: 75 ✭✭✭

@Oz Max said:

@chrisokeefe12 said:

Well we still had another hour and a half if not 2 hours of daylight left and they wouldn't even let us turn in the cart and walk and the back.

• stryperstryper Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@chrisokeefe12 said:

@Oz Max said:

@chrisokeefe12 said:

Well we still had another hour and a half if not 2 hours of daylight left and they wouldn't even let us turn in the cart and walk and the back.

Unless there was a shift the earth’s orbit and rotation, at 7:30pm in northern Michigan, it is unlikely that you would have two hours of daylight left. 🤷‍♂️

Titleist 917D2, w/UST Mamiya Elements Chrome 7F4T
    Titleist 915Fd, w/Aldila Rogue Black 80-2.8-S
    18* KZG U Iron, w/UST Proforce V2 100-S
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC Fli-Hi 4-5, w/UST Recoil 95 F4
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC 6-P, w/UST Recoil 95 F4
    Titleist Vokey SM5 52-08 F
    Callaway 58* PM Grind 19
    Odyssey O-Works Tank #7
  • Oz MaxOz Max Members Posts: 144 ✭✭✭

@chrisokeefe12 said:

@Oz Max said:

@chrisokeefe12 said:

I hear you, we have a course that closes at 7pm in summer regardless of sunset. But that's why twilight fee exists, so you don't feel too bad about not finishing your round.

• North ButteNorth Butte Members Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Some people, if you comped them a round at Augusta National, they'd complain that they weren't allowed to drive their carts right up to the green. The concept of a "twilight" green fee for a limited number of holes late in the day is taken as license to stay out there 'til midnight if they like, for their $15.

“1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
    1 ten-mile walk every morning.
    1 bed at 11 sharp every night.
    And don't stuff your head with things you don't understand.” 
  • Hot Rod 71Hot Rod 71 #TheWRX ClubWRX, BST Volunteer Mods Posts: 8,920 ClubWRX

@Oz Max said:

@chrisokeefe12 said:

@Oz Max said:

@chrisokeefe12 said:

I hear you, we have a course that closes at 7pm in summer regardless of sunset. But that's why twilight fee exists, so you don't feel too bad about not finishing your round.

A large percentage of players do not understand the "twilight" rate. They think it entitles them to 18 holes of golf, no matter what time they start or what time it gets dark.

A few years back a guy came in the shop around 5:30. It was getting dark around 7:30 at this time. He said "I want to play 18 holes". I said "okay, can you play 18 holes is 2 hours?" He said "2 hours?? Why 2 hours?? Its not going to be dark for another 3.5 to 4 hours!". I pulled up the weather app on my phone and showed him sunset time, which was 7:20. He said "when did it start getting dark so early??" Huh?

PING G400 LST 10* - Graphite Design Tour AD TP 6X
    TaylorMade M1 15* Tour Issue - Aldila Tour Blue 75X
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20* - Diamana S+ 80X
    Callaway X-Forged 4-P - DGTI 120 S400
    Callaway MD4 50, 54, 58 - DGTI S400
    Machine M1A
    Titleist Pro V1 Yellow

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file