3D Printed Ball Stencil

So I realized around the beginning of a round I was playing the other day that the ProV1 stamp on my ball was ever so slightly curved to one side. As I normally just use that to align my putts, it was really throwing me off, and I've decided to go with the sharpie/stencil route. However, I also don't like paying 15 bucks for an easily breakable piece of plastic, and I was wondering if anyone knew of a 3D printer file that could be used to make a golf ball stencil. Ideally I just want a straight line or even something like Callaway's Triple Track, and since I have access to a 3D printer at school I figured this could be a cool way to get some original markers for my ball.

WITB:

Nike Vapor Speed 9.0 Fubuki Z50 S
Mizuno ST180 3 Wood Kuro Kage Silver TiNi Dual Core X
Taylormade TP UDI 18° Tensei Pro White 100TX
Taylormade TP UDI 20° Tour AD-95 S
Mizuno MP 33 DG S200
Mizuno S5 52° 56° 60° DG Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #1
Titleist ProV1x

Comments

• c7015c7015 Members Posts: 2,163 ✭✭

you could do it like tin cup style

maybe start with this https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3109946

and do like an inverse extrusion for what you want your markup to be

TS3 Smoke 70g (S Flex)
    913 FD 3 wood Whiteboard (X Flex)
    915 F 5 wood Blueboard (S Flex)
    712U 4 Iron
    715CB 5-6
    718MB 7-PW 
    Vokey SM7 50, 55, 60 
    SC Newport 2.5
  • MyherobobhopeMyherobobhope hey there, blimpy boy. Flying through the sky so fancy free. Members Posts: 2,231 ✭✭

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1728878

I spent some time on Thingiverse out of boredom... This might help.

Current Bag (Rebuilding as of 5/6/19)
    Driver: Adams Fast 12 LS with Matrix Black Tie (to be replaced)
    3W: Adams Fast 12 with Excalibur (to be replaced)
    Hybrid: Bridgestone j40 with Excalibur (to be replaced)
    4-9: Taylor Made Oversize (to be replaced)
    PW: Mizuon HMP with DG120 Stiff (5/6)
    50 degree Vokey with DG120 Stiff (5/6)
    56 and 60 degree Cleveland Wedges (to be replaced)
    Odyssey Tank #7 (only club I'm keeping this season)

• bostonbrahminbostonbrahmin Members Posts: 109 ✭✭

Thanks guys - saw both of those with some light google searching but I can't seem to find one that's just a straight line. My CAD experience is from approximately 7 years ago so I'm not quite sure how I could manipulate those to work.

WITB:

Mizuno MP 33 DG S200
    Odyssey White Ice #1
    Titleist ProV1x
  • alephaleph Members Posts: 185 ✭✭

I've had a Line-M-UP for like 15 years now. Only way I could see it breaking is straight up stomping on it on a hard surface or running it over with a cart.

Don't know why you would spend the time and effort relearning and applying all the CAD stuff when you could just buy one for $15.

• CelerasCeleras Members Posts: 196 ✭✭

@aleph said:
    Don't know why you would spend the time and effort relearning and applying all the CAD stuff when you could just buy one for $15.

Don't know why you'd buy one for $15 when you can just stick the golf ball in an empty toilet paper tube.

Ping G400 Max 9.5* Ping Tour 65 6.0
    Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15* PX Even Flow Blue 75 6.0
    Ping G400 Hybrid 19* Alta CB 70 Stiff
    Ping G400 5-UW AWT 2.0 Stiff, Green Dot
    Cleveland CBX Wedge Set 54/58*
    Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 #7
    Callaway Fusion 14
  • lookylookitzadamlookylookitzadam Members Posts: 480 ✭✭

1-1/4" PVC coupler will fit a ball allowing for a line to be drawn around its equator.

• soregongolfersoregongolfer Members Posts: 1,332 ✭✭

@aleph said:
    I've had a Line-M-UP for like 15 years now. Only way I could see it breaking is straight up stomping on it on a hard surface or running it over with a cart.

I've had one for about that long and there's no way to break it except for intentionally. Also, it costs around $7.

• AugsterAugster Members Posts: 4,301 ✭✭

@soregongolfer said:

@aleph said:

I've had one for about that long and there's no way to break it except for intentionally. Also, it costs around $7.

$7 on amazon prime.

I think the PVC coupler wins unless you want the extra lines the line em up gives. PVC coupler is likely less than $1.

• DavidvDavidv Members Posts: 757 ✭✭

Holy crap what a major problem, what to do.

Haha realistically I don't quite care about the 15 bucks. I'm a tinkerer by nature and I like creating things with my hands I can use. I also quite like Calloway's triple track alignment, but hate their balls. I guess my question is more if someone had a 3D template to attempt to print something. Figure it's a cool project and I could branch it out into making any alignment I'd like.

WITB:

Mizuno MP 33 DG S200
    Odyssey White Ice #1
    Titleist ProV1x

honestly modifying the cad is not even hard if you are set on the 3d printing route
    if you have a 3d printer you should get good at it anyway since you have aspirations of making it into any alignment you want.
    If not are you just taking it into a 3d print shop? bet they could quickly modify the file for you.

Another option, for a starting point
    https://www.tinkercad.com/things/3Vx3Bw71s70-alabama-golfball-cup

TS3 Smoke 70g (S Flex)
    712U 4 Iron
    715CB 5-6
    718MB 7-PW 
    Vokey SM7 50, 55, 60 
    SC Newport 2.5
  • ckayckay Members Posts: 3,955 ✭✭

AliExpress sells them for $1.

Taylormade M4 440 10* Tensei White Pro 60TX
    Taylormade M2 Tour 16.5* Atmos Blue 7x
    Taylormade M2 L.I.F.T. 2 KBS Hybrid Proto 85x
    Miura CB57 Nippon SPB X
    Vokey CF 52F/56M/60M S400 Onyx
    Cameron Cami & Co Newport Beach 34/350

WITB Link

@c7015 said:
    honestly modifying the cad is not even hard if you are set on the 3d printing route
    if you have a 3d printer you should get good at it anyway since you have aspirations of making it into any alignment you want.
    If not are you just taking it into a 3d print shop? bet they could quickly modify the file for you.

Good point - I have access to a number of 3D printers at school. So I should probably learn how to modify it myself. Thanks for the link too, that's one of the better looking ones I've seen

WITB:

Mizuno MP 33 DG S200
    Odyssey White Ice #1
    Titleist ProV1x

@bostonbrahmin said:

@c7015 said:

Good point - I have access to a number of 3D printers at school. So I should probably learn how to modify it myself. Thanks for the link too, that's one of the better looking ones I've seen

Nice! You can make a golfwrx one after you perfect it and monetize your investment into learning cad lol

TS3 Smoke 70g (S Flex)
    712U 4 Iron
    715CB 5-6
    718MB 7-PW 
    Vokey SM7 50, 55, 60 
    SC Newport 2.5
  • cardigancardigan Members Posts: 44 ✭✭

If you don’t go with a dyi approach, you might want to look at the Tin Cup “Tour Series”.

• hacker49hacker49 Members Posts: 543 ✭✭

I know you are looking for a 3d printer model to make one your own. I too got tired of those cheap plastic ball markers. So I searched a long time and found this, https://groovefix.com/linefix360-16-p.asp. It is made of aluminum and works great.