Is Rickie Fowler the most overrated player on tour?

tsecortsecor Loading........Members Posts: 4,292 ✭✭
edited Jun 26, 2019 2:44pm in Tour Talk #1

With all the hype he gets and only 9 career wins with 0 majors, is he the most overrated player on tour? If not, who else would be on that list?

Post edited by tsecor on

Comments

• FergusonFerguson Members Posts: 4,970 ✭✭
  • RobotDoctorRobotDoctor Senior Hacker ClubWRX Posts: 4,671 ClubWRX

No

Titleist 905T 9.5 degree Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6S
    Titleist 906F2 15 degree Fujikura Pro 73 Tour Spec stiff
    Taylormade SLDR 2 Hybrid Graphite Design Tour  AD DI-Hybrid 85 stiff
    Mizuno JPX900 Tour (3-PW) Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120 stiff
    Scratch Golf 50* GW Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120 stiff
    Scratch Golf 58* LW Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120 stiff
    Byron Morgan Epic Day Long Pipe Copper plated
    BestGrips Augusta Microperf grips
  • idriveidrive gone golfin Members Posts: 2,236 ✭✭
    edited Jun 26, 2019 2:24pm #5

@RobotDoctor said:
    No

Correct

Most over hyped? Probably Stevo-line

• c7015c7015 Members Posts: 2,160 ✭✭
    edited Jun 26, 2019 2:25pm #6

I mean he is ranked at like 11 in the world so should get a bunch of attention... out of the players ranked above him Xander and Cantley are probably the only Americans that get less love but have higher world rankings but again they are just getting established vs Rick who has been around a long time. Does Fowler have more potential vs his performance probably, but again if he got that 1 major like Adam Scott or Justin rose the narrative would likely be a lot different...

TS3 Smoke 70g (S Flex)
    913 FD 3 wood Whiteboard (X Flex)
    915 F 5 wood Blueboard (S Flex)
    712U 4 Iron
    715CB 5-6
    718MB 7-PW 
    Vokey SM7 50, 55, 60 
    SC Newport 2.5
  • QManyQMany #TheWRX ClubWRX Posts: 9,077 ClubWRX
    1. Justin Thomas: 1 major, 12 career wins (9 PGA Tour).
    2. Bryson DeChambeau: 0 majors, 7 career wins (5 PGA Tour).
    3. Patrick Cantlay: 0 majors, 3 career wins (2 PGA Tour).
    4. Xander Schauffele: 0 majors, 5 career wins (4 PGA Tour).
    5. Jon Rahm: 0 majors, 7 career wins (3 PGA Tour).
    6. Gary Woodland: 1 major, 6 career wins (4 PGA Tour).
    7. Matt Kuchar: 0 majors, 15 career wins (9 PGA Tour).
    8. Rickie Fowler: 0 majors, 9 career wins (5 PGA Tour).
    9. Paul Casey: 0 majors, 21 career wins (3 PGA Tour).
    10. Tony Finau: 0 majors, 2 career wins (1 PGA Tour).

I think he compares favorably to some on this list. I suspect you're talking about over-marketed or saturated compared to relative success.

Currently in #TheWRX...

Taylormade M3 460 (9.5°) Tensei CK Pro Orange70TX
    Taylormade SLDR Mini (14°) Matrix White Tie 70X
    Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
    Callaway Apex Pro (4i-PW) DG X100 TI
    Ping Glide 2.0 (50° & 54°) DG S400 TI
    Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
    Odyssey O Works R-Line
    Taylormade TP5X

QMany's Swing/Sticks / Instagram
  • Cincy_KenCincy_Ken Members Posts: 117 ✭✭

Are you really overrated if people can't spell your first name correctly? I'm not trying to slam the person who started the thread; I've got friends who are big Fowler guys who refer to him as Ricky.

Great guy, good player. Between Rocket Mortgage, Puma, and Cobra he does seem to get more face time than more accomplished and more talented players. For example JT matched Fowler's career PGA win total in just 2017 alone yet I rarely see him in ads. That would be my argument for yes.

• FergusonFerguson Members Posts: 4,970 ✭✭

I can sense it. Someone will mention Ben Hogan's 10th win at Inverness within 17 posts.

Swami Ferguson

• nichhonichho Members Posts: 1,959 ✭✭

@Ferguson said:
    I can sense it. Someone will mention Ben Hogan's 10th win at Inverness within 17 posts.

Swami Ferguson

That is scary!! You said it would happen and it did.

Callaway Rogue UST Recoil 
    Srixon Z H65 2h Myazaki Kaula
    Srixon Z H65 3h Myazaki Kaula
    Srixon Z765 4-PW Nippon Modus 3 125
    Japanese Tour Forged AW
    Japanese Tour Forged SW
    Mizuno T105
  • caniac6caniac6 Members Posts: 2,811 ✭✭

Rickie seem to be a great guy, has won a ton of money, stays out of trouble, is nice to the fans, is well liked by sponsors, and gets a fair ammount of endorsments. If that is overrated, there is probably a long line of guys that wish they were overrated.

• Lagavulin62Lagavulin62 Members Posts: 2,189 ✭✭
    edited Jun 26, 2019 3:03pm #14

I don’t see his talent getting overhyped either. He is in a way sort of the male version of Anna Kournikova for golf. Meaning the women love him, he’s attractive and has a great personality, is a good guy. Plus he also appeals to the men, very like able. All of that is A+ for marketing. It’s probably been a sacrifice to his game. But as another posted said, if he can win one major, all this talk will end.

If you want to talk about a guy overrated strictly for his golf, my vote goes out to Ian Poulter. But that’s a whole different discussion.

• MidwestGolfBumMidwestGolfBum Corporate Golfer Extraordinaire MSN/MKE/DSMMembers Posts: 1,354 ✭✭

@caniac6 said:
    Rickie seem to be a great guy, has won a ton of money, stays out of trouble, is nice to the fans, is well liked by sponsors, and gets a fair ammount of endorsments. If that is overrated, there is probably a long line of guys that wish they were overrated.

But that's not necessarily overrated as much as it is overhyped and that's generally by talking heads who have a higher vision for him. He's doing what he is supposed to do and that's go out there any play hard. Just because he hasn't won one yet, doesn't mean he's not trying to.

Titleist TS3 9.5* Mitsubishi Tensei White 70TX
    Titleist 917F3 15* Graphite Design AD-DI 7X black
    Titleist T-MB 2i Graphite Design AD-95X Utility/Driving iron
    Titleist 714 MB 4-9 True Temper TI X100 or Cally RazrX MB 4-9 True Temper TI X100
    Vokey SM7, 52.08, 56.10, 60.08 True Temper TI S400
    Byron DH89 or Piretti Proto

The bag is always a work in progress.
  • gvogelgvogel Members Posts: 7,533 ✭✭

@caniac6 said:

I found it interesting that he is a very good friend of Jack and Barbara Nicklaus. Something like he considers Barbara as a second mother.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse
  • tsecortsecor Loading........ Members Posts: 4,292 ✭✭

good catch. corrected and for the wise guys who asked about the last name....fixed that too...lol........tough crowd today > @Cincy_Ken said:

Are you really overrated if people can't spell your first name correctly? I'm not trying to slam the person who started the thread; I've got friends who are big Fowler guys who refer to him as Ricky.

Great guy, good player. Between Rocket Mortgage, Puma, and Cobra he does seem to get more face time than more accomplished and more talented players. For example JT matched Fowler's career PGA win total in just 2017 alone yet I rarely see him in ads. That would be my argument for yes.

This has nothing to do with his actual golf, but I agree he is a great guy......I almost find his WGR too high although I know how its figured out...> @caniac6 said:

• CaymanSCaymanS Members Posts: 66 ✭✭

Rickie is popular with the fans, shows some personality in those Farmers commercials, and don't forget he won the Players which is the next best thing to a major. He is well-liked among the other players as well, but he is not hyped at all IMO.

• Nard_SNard_S Members Posts: 3,343 ✭✭

Feel like he's not over rated but that he under performs for the skill set he has. He has every shot with every club, from great putting stroke to long ball off the tee or throwing darts from fairway. He possesses the whole package and that cannot be said of many guys in the top 20.

• LlortamaiseyLlortamaisey Members Posts: 5,981 ✭✭

I think he was overrated early in his career but not anymore. At this point in his career, everyone knows who he is and who he isn’t.

• LepatriqueLepatrique Members Posts: 36 ✭✭

@Nard_S said:
    Feel like he's not over rated but that he under performs for the skill set he has. He has every shot with every club, from great putting stroke to long ball off the tee or throwing darts from fairway. He possesses the whole package and that cannot be said of many guys in the top 20.

Spot on. When you watch him playing reasonably well you can't help but wonder why he hasn't won a lot more given his skill set.

TM M1 9.5* Kuro Kage XT70 X
    TM M2 Deep 16.7* Kuro Kage XT80 X
    PXG 0317 19* Kuro Kage 80HY TX
    Mizuno MP64 4-PW C-Taper S
    Vokey SM5 50-55-60 C-Taper S
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2

I may be in the minority here but I am not a huge fan of his skill set. His putting, yes. The rest of his game is boring to me and doesn't jump out as special. I also think DJ is overrated with the hype he gets during major coverage.....he is always a favorite to win but never does.

• bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day... south carolinaMembers Posts: 27,014 ✭✭
    edited Jun 26, 2019 4:24pm #24

Probably Cam champ or Rory if I’m voting as far as overrated goes. More airtime for less output. Spieth gets alt of airtime. But it’s to run down. And tell why he won’t win. They are always telling us why Rory will win. And then another major goes and nothing. And champ. Is he even playing anymore ?

TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  3-PW   Modus 130X 
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot

• widow-makerwidow-maker Members Posts: 1,628 ✭✭
    edited Jun 26, 2019 4:50pm #25

Seems to me he's rated right about where he should be... in the 10-15 range. Anybody rating him higher.... well, it's their own fault, not Rickies.

Now, if you're talking popularity... Rickie has earned that by the way he comports himself. You get what you are when talking about popularity. See Arnold Palmer.

• fowlerscousinfowlerscousin Members Posts: 796 ✭✭
    edited Jun 26, 2019 4:46pm #26

I think Fowler has acheived on par with his hype. The only blemish is the no majors, he always was more of a curiosity/niche hype, never was really hyped as super talented. 9 wins and Ryder cup success is a loaded resume in the modern game.

• QManyQMany #TheWRX ClubWRX Posts: 9,077 ClubWRX

@bladehunter said:
    Probably Cam champ or Rory if I’m voting as far as overrated goes. More airtime for less output. Spieth gets alt of airtime. But it’s to run down. And tell why he won’t win. They are always telling us why Rory will win. And then another major goes and nothing. ** And champ. Is he even playing anymore ? **

He's been struggling since a back injury in February-March. He is in the field this week.

Currently in #TheWRX...

Taylormade M3 460 (9.5°) Tensei CK Pro Orange70TX
    Taylormade SLDR Mini (14°) Matrix White Tie 70X
    Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
    Callaway Apex Pro (4i-PW) DG X100 TI
    Ping Glide 2.0 (50° & 54°) DG S400 TI
    Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
    Odyssey O Works R-Line
    Taylormade TP5X

QMany's Swing/Sticks / Instagram
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day... south carolinaMembers Posts: 27,014 ✭✭

@cdnglf said:

@bladehunter said:
    Probably Cam champ or Rory if I’m voting as far as overrated goes. More airtime for less output. Spieth gets alt of airtime. But it’s to run down. And tell why he won’t win. They are always telling us why Rory will win. And then another major goes and nothing. And champ. Is he even playing anymore ?

You post more about Rory than any other player.

Yes. Ironic. Very well played sir !!

TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  3-PW   Modus 130X 
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot

• BarfolomewBarfolomew #worstWRXer Members Posts: 1,396 ✭✭

Rickie would be overrated if he was rated highly....

G30 LST
    3 wood M2 HL
    OnOffOnAgain Kuros 4-P
    Cleveland Blob
    SeeMore Butts
  • TMoakley1547TMoakley1547 Members Posts: 118 ✭✭

Some guys dont figure out how to win until they are well into their 30's. I believe Rickie will be one of these guys.