Music on the course - I'm turning against it after supporting it

King_SlenderKing_Slender Members Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

It never bothered me when people would play music on the course, but lately I'm starting to turn against it due to the blatant disregard for other groups on the course. There are guys in my league who bring a JBL Extreme 2, which is a pretty kicking speaker and great for backyard barbecues, but entirely inappropriate if you just want to tunes playing in your cart.

It could also be that I'm just sick of their playlists, but I'm longing for those days of enjoying the peace of the course a bit.

Comments

• MelloYelloMelloYello Upstate, SCMembers Posts: 3,521 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Clearly none of you have ever played through by marching onto the tee box, breaking rocks and given the boys a wink as you drive off.

Driver: TaylorMade M3 (10.5) w. Tensei Pro Orange
    Fairway: Titleist 915 F (18) w. Diamana Blueboard
    Hybrid: Tour Edge Exotics E8 (19)
    Irons: Titleist 716 CB (4-Pw)
    Wedges: Vokey SM6 52-F / 56-F / 60-S
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Select
  • LodestoneLodestone Members Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I've never been a fan of music on the course. To me it's no different than talking loudly on a cell phone while others are trying to play golf. Unfortunately for me, it is becoming more and more of a trend for people to be inconsiderate regarding their music, when it comes to where, when and how loudly they play it.

FORE RIGHT!!!!
  • King_SlenderKing_Slender Members Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Lodestone said:
    I've never been a fan of music on the course. To me it's no different than talking loudly on a cell phone while others are trying to play golf. Unfortunately for me, it is becoming more and more of a trend for people to be inconsiderate regarding their music, when it comes to where, when and how loudly they play it.

The real problem is that it fosters "competition" among certain types - they can't just be satisfied listening to music, they have to be the one with the biggest, most obnoxious speaker. The only solution I can see is to have course be the one to reign it in like they did when they outlawed metal spikes.

• MelloYelloMelloYello Upstate, SCMembers Posts: 3,521 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Lodestone said:

Ugh, it's the bane of my existence, bro. Noise pollution is rampant in the south. For instance driving has been totally ruined by lifted pick-ups, Harleys, Ford Mustangs, Corvettes, and Civics that sound like go carts.

First off, half those people live paycheck to paycheck and are going broke spending extra money on their vehicle. Don't get me wrong. I love seeing poverty bite these pitiful rats, just don't get your lower class stink on me.

But our road surfaces are a total disaster here. And it's horribly unsafe with few people actually paying attention out there. And this is the Gotdang city. What is the purpose of having a sports car or motorcycle all so you can sit in traffic!?

Ugh...the music thing doesn't offend me as much as you might think. While I generally view it as pointless and very lower-classy to need a distraction while engaging within a distraction along with buddies there to distract you, it's really peoples tendency to play the same tasteless background Kyinny Chisney sounding muzak that irks me.

Driver: TaylorMade M3 (10.5) w. Tensei Pro Orange
    Fairway: Titleist 915 F (18) w. Diamana Blueboard
    Hybrid: Tour Edge Exotics E8 (19)
    Irons: Titleist 716 CB (4-Pw)
    Wedges: Vokey SM6 52-F / 56-F / 60-S
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Select
  • trileriantrilerian Members Posts: 409 ✭✭✭✭

I agree that music on the course is bad. If people are expected to be quiet while a golfer swings, how is it within etiquette for music to be playing. For the most part I can deal with it, but there are times, especially with music I do not like, that it causes mental distractions.

• King_SlenderKing_Slender Members Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@ctsgolf said:
    Before I leave this cancerous thread, I just thought I'd chime in that I would rather play golf with a couple chill dudes listening to music than any of the entitled, self absorbed "get off my lawn" type players posting in this thread.

I think there's a balance - I'm fine with chill music and a reasonable speaker. It's when it turns into Rodney Dangerfield in Caddyshack that it becomes an issue.

• FergusonFerguson Members Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Starting to see some threads with early summer golf complaints. One thread on carts, another on inadequate comfort facilities and this one on music.

I feel the anger.

• North ButteNorth Butte Members Posts: 10,867 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@ctsgolf said:
    Before I leave this cancerous thread, I just thought I'd chime in that I would rather play golf with a couple chill dudes listening to music than any of the entitled, self absorbed "get off my lawn" type players posting in this thread.

So if someone yelled, "Miss it Noonan!" right before you hit a putt, would objecting make you an "entitled self absorbed get off my lawn type player"? Or is it all good as far as you're concerned?

“1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
    1 ten-mile walk every morning.
    1 bed at 11 sharp every night.
    And don't stuff your head with things you don't understand.” 
  • ctsgolfctsgolf Members Posts: 181 ✭✭✭

@North Butte said:

@ctsgolf said:

So if someone yelled, "Miss it Noonan!" right before you hit a putt, would objecting make you an "entitled self absorbed get off my lawn type player"? Or is it all good as far as you're concerned?

This is an entirely different scenario. This is a blatant attempt to disrupt your timing and focus in an effort to negatively impact your shot. Someone listening to music on the course, albeit maybe a little bit too loud for courtesy sake, likely isn't even thinking about you or trying to impact your game at all. Being the "entitled self absorbed get off my lawn type player", their listening to music is something you don't like, and therefore it's a problem and they shouldn't be allowed to do it.

Also, I've never seen anyone on a golf course blasting music from a speaker like the one OP posted. Sure, I've overheard people listening to music from time to time, but if you're playing golf courses where people are blasting music from a $250 JBL speaker to the point that you feel the need to complain on a golf forum, you should probably pick another goat pasture to play at.

Taylormade M1  Speeder 661 Evo
    Ping G  Aldila NV 75s
    Titleist T-MB 20°  DG S400
    Titleist 695CB  DG S300 (4-PW)
    Callaway MD Forged  Recoil 125 F4
    Miura  KM-006  

• lawsonmanlawsonman Freeport, IllinoisMembers Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@ctsgolf said:

@North Butte said:

@ctsgolf said:

This is an entirely different scenario. This is a blatant attempt to disrupt your timing and focus in an effort to negatively impact your shot. Someone listening to music on the course, albeit maybe a little bit too loud for courtesy sake, likely isn't even thinking about you or trying to impact your game at all. Being the "entitled self absorbed get off my lawn type player", their listening to music is something you don't like, and therefore it's a problem and they shouldn't be allowed to do it.

Also, I've never seen anyone on a golf course blasting music from a speaker like the one OP posted. Sure, I've overheard people listening to music from time to time, but if you're playing golf courses where people are blasting music from a $250 JBL speaker to the point that you feel the need to complain on a golf forum, you should probably pick another goat pasture to play at.

I thought you were leaving.

Welcome to where dumb opinions are better than no opinion. :)

Ping G400 9°
    Ping Anser 17,20,23, hybrid
    Ping G410 6-UW
    Ping Glide 54,58ES
    Scotty Cameron Newport 3
    Ping DLX Bag

Snell MTB Black
  • andrueandrue Members Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@larrybud said:
    Music on the course is the worst thing to happen to the game in the last 20 years, bar none.

And thankfully not a trend that has crossed the Atlantic. I can't imagine anyone doing it here. It sounds bizarre.

Callaway Rogue Driver.
    Callaway Big Bertha OS Hybrids (3/4/5)
    Callaway Big Bertha OS Irons (6/7/8/9/PW/AW/SW)
    Callaway 60* Sureout wedge
    Callaway 64* Sureout wedge
    Ghost Spider Si 72 Putter
    Callaway Super Soft Yellow (White in winter).
  • noodle3872noodle3872 Chilliwack B.C. CanadaMembers Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

The faint sound of music that doesn’t disrupt chatter of my group while we walk the course doesn’t bother me. In fact, the group a head of us the other day had music playing. It was just audible enough that we could hear it as we closed ground on them. At one point the music got turned up playing Journey’s “Don’t stop believing” for one guy that we could hear complaining about the state of his game. That garnered a good laugh! But if the music is pumping like mad (envision a car behind you at a red light with music blaring and their bass vibrating into your car) then that is bad form IMHO. It boils down to respect and common sense.

Taylormade M6 driver MCA Tensei CK Pro Blue 60 S Flex
    Taylormade M6 fairway wood MCA Tensei CK Pro Blue 70 S Flex
    Taylormade M4 19° hybrid MCA OT Tour Hybrid 80 S Flex
    Taylormade M4 22° hybrid MCA OT Tour Hybrid 90 S Flex
    Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-PW Modus3 Tour 105 S flex
    Mizuno S18 Gunmetal Wedges 50-07, 54-12, 58-08 and 62-08 Modus3 115 Wedge
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5M H17 Jet Setter 
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5M
    Scotty Cameron Futura 7M
    Titleist Yellow Pro V1
  • lookylookitzadamlookylookitzadam Members Posts: 524 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used to dislike music but I think it depends on what is being played. Hawaiian music during a slow round really helps me relax and just enjoy the time being outdoors with my buddies.

• wkuo3wkuo3 RELEASE Members Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I love music, but it does not belong on the golf course, period !
    If someone needs their music to play golf, fine, put on the earphone / ear buds. No one else needs to hear it besides you. Like so many things needs to come put of the closets these days, fine, just Don't bring it into my living room through public media.
    Having the right or the previledge dose not mean one could intrude into other's space. I had known war being fought over similar issue. Not music on the golf course but for the same principal.

• Roadking2003Roadking2003 AustinMembers Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@ctsgolf said:

What about the entitled, self absorbed "get off my lawn" type players who also play their music loudly? Do you like to play with them?

• bubbagumpbubbagump SLDR $5000 Challenge The EmpireMembers Posts: 5,580 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

LOL lots of get off my azalea posts at the moment on the site, must be something in the water at the retirement home?

8.5* Ping G400 LST with TS Speeder 7.2
    12* SLDR Mini with TS Speeder 7.2
    17* Ping G400 with TS Speeder 9.8
    19* Mizuno MP18 FLI HI with KBS C-taper
    5-GW Mizuno JPX 900 Forged with KBS C-taper
    60* Cleveland RTX-3 CB with KBS C-taper

Toulon Atlanta

@King_Slender said:> I think there's a balance - I'm fine with chill music and a reasonable speaker. It's when it turns into Rodney Dangerfield in Caddyshack that it becomes an issue.

The only balance that is acceptible is to not invade the space of others with your music.

@andrue said:> And thankfully not a trend that has crossed the Atlantic. I can't imagine anyone doing it here. It sounds bizarre.

It is bizarre, even in the USA.

• bubbagumpbubbagump SLDR $5000 Challenge The EmpireMembers Posts: 5,580 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Roadking2003 said:

The only balance that is acceptible is to not invade the space of others with your music.

Im sure they are developing a safe space golf course somewhere that should be opening soon.

Toulon Atlanta
  • Zengolfer36Zengolfer36 Columbus, OHMembers Posts: 108 ✭✭✭

Id say the problem is the music, its the people who think its their right to blast their favorite tunes on the course. As long as you keep it low, to where I cant hear it on the next tee box, I really dont care.

Yeah, I'm not complaining about having to hear music that I can't hear. I guess it's possible that every single cart on every course has been quietly playing music and I never knew it. If so, I'm fine with that.

“1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.

@bubbagump said:

@Roadking2003 said:

Im sure they are developing a safe space golf course somewhere that should be opening soon.

Up until the last couple years, that's part of what I got for my six grand a year to play at a private club. But no, there is never again going to be a quiet golf course. You lot have taken over and it's just going to get louder and louder.

“1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
    edited Jun 27, 2019 12:23am #29

@North Butte said:

Up until the last couple years, that's part of what I got for my six grand a year to play at a private club. But no, there is never again going to be a quiet golf course. You lot have taken over and it's just going to get louder and louder.

Yeah its crazy right? The "Lot" of us and those "30 year old white boys bumping rap" have money too, and are infiltrating your private courses and ruining your lives. If its obviously too loud and is heard from holes and holes away, maybe just ask to turn it down a notch.

Other than that, if its not outlawed at courses, deal with it , life goes on.

Toulon Atlanta

@bubbagump said:

@North Butte said:

Yeah its crazy right? The "Lot" of us and those "30 year old white boys bumping rap" have money too, and are infiltrating your private courses and ruining your lives. If its obviously too loud and is heard from holes and holes away, maybe just ask to turn it down a notch.

Other than that, if its not outlawed at courses, deal with it , life goes on.

They're not ruining my life. Just being inconsiderate jerks who make life a little bit worse every day they draw breath. I deal with it.

“1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
  • NolesNoles Members Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@bubbagump said:

@Roadking2003 said:

It will have fences around it and only certain people will be allowed in. Wait...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file