Who joined a private club this year so far?

Schley Schley Love ya don't tell ya enough!Kingdom of Saudi ArabiaMembers Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

It's that time of the year. Anyone take the plunge yet? Happy?
I really enjoy mine a couple years ago, good decision for me.

Comments

• MoonlightgrmMoonlightgrm Members Posts: 920 ✭✭✭✭✭

Our club was a high end private country club when I joined in 1997. The economy and dip in the golf industry forced us to go to semiprivate in 2012. Thankfully, the high prices being charged the public ($75 per round) haven’t impacted course availability. The greens and grounds budget has taken a huge hit dropping from $750,000 when private to about $200,000 this year. Our daily green speeds when private were 10.5 and are now 8.5. Our fairways have narrowed, our bunkers aren’t what they once were, and the second cut of rough is long fescue. I still get over 100-rounds of golf each year and my dues are under $4000 so I’m okay with the current set up. I miss the private country club days, however.

• Bonneville85308Bonneville85308 Members Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Jun 28, 2019 8:48pm #3

having trouble with the board...typed a whole big response, tried to edit it, and poof it disappeared. maybe later.

• tjl48tjl48 MNMembers Posts: 197 ✭✭✭

Wife and I joined this year. Enjoying it so far. The club was looking for younger members so once we toured they gave us a pretty good deal on the initiation fee. The indoor practice facilities put it over the top for us. Being in MN they will get plenty of use from us.

• flip flappyflip flappy Members Posts: 938 ✭✭✭✭✭

I visited my brother in law a few weeks ago and got to play a couple of rounds at his private club. Absolutely loved it and could sure see myself joining one. A headhunter recruited him to go work in a city 12 hours away from home. When they started talking money and then told him their affiliation with the club would allow him to join without an initiation fee and modest dues, he started packing his bags!

Ping G400 Max 10.5
    Cobra Baffler T Rail 3 wood
    Ping i-e1 4-U Nippon 105 Stiff
    Cleveland 588 RTX CB 52, 56&60
    Ping B65 Cadence
  • zoned_post_meridiemzoned_post_meridiem Members Posts: 95 ✭✭✭

@tjl48 said:
    Wife and I joined this year. Enjoying it so far. The club was looking for younger members so once we toured they gave us a pretty good deal on the initiation fee. The indoor practice facilities put it over the top for us. Being in MN they will get plenty of use from us.

I'm in ND, at the MN border. If any club had good indoor practice facilities without extra fees, I'd join in a heartbeat.

• freeze16172002freeze16172002 Members Posts: 163 ✭✭✭
    edited Jun 29, 2019 2:09pm #7

I was in a private club for 5 years, gave it up this year. You play the course over and over to think your getting your moneys worth. I did like reciprocals and that got you on some other nice private courses. As of now I rather just play daily fee courses and play where I want

• MountainGoatMountainGoat Mid-MarylandMembers Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Jun 29, 2019 5:02pm #8

I joined a semi-private course. Does that count? I love it...well, maybe love is a little strong. I like the fact that I can go over there and hang out and play a few holes if I want, or not. I also like the staff talking to me by name. Makes me feel a little less anonymous.

• LokiLoki Members Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I was a member of a club for a couple years. It cost $500 per year, could play in mens league and you paid 50% greens fees. Didn't think much of the members but, hey, I was the member of a private club. Full membership was over $6G. They took the $500 club away and haven't been back.
    Played recently in a tourney at another course with a guy that bought property on the private course along with the lifetime membership of $60G. I asked him if he ever gets out and plays other courses. He said "No, I have to get my money out of the course." LOL, really?

Met one of my current league partners at this private club under the same $500 membership.

• Soxfan21Soxfan21 Chicago South SuburbsMembers Posts: 294 ✭✭✭✭

I’ve been at my private club for 5 years now, and have loved every minute of it!

In The Bag:

Epic Sub Zero 65 Gram Fujikura Pro
    Epic Sub Zero 80 Gram Aldila rogue
    816 H1 21 degree Motore Speeder 8.8
    716 AP 2 4-PW TT DG AMT S400
    SM6 50, 54, 58 Wedges
    Bettinardi Inovai 3.0
  • NorthernHillsNorthernHills Members Posts: 68 ✭✭

Joined my local private club in the UK in March, absolutely loving it so far. Work and Life commitments mean my opportunities to play 18 holes are limited (4 so far this year) but I'm averaging 9 holes twice a week. Quiet course in great condition that and i can get round 9 in just over an hour. It's perfect for me.

• az2auaz2au Members Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Joined an additional club this year. Does that count?

• ryder2015ryder2015 Members Posts: 46 ✭✭

@az2au said:

Does for me. I joined another one last year and another this year as well. I seem to be a collector.

@ryder2015 said:

@az2au said:

Does for me. I joined another one last year and another this year as well. I seem to be a collector.

It is funny and sounds bad but I agree. Each of them has very different uses but all of them have very good courses.

• WestCoastHackerWestCoastHacker Members Posts: 171 ✭✭✭

I joined my first national club this year. It's a nice change of pace from my country club and I absolutely love it out there.

Ping G410 - Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60 Stiff
    915F 3w
    913H (19) - Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY
    Titleist AP3 4-PW - Project X 6.5
    Vokey SM7 (48, 54 & 60)
    Bettinardi Studio Stock #5 (2012)
  • RoodyRoody You ride her until she bucks you or don't ride at all Members Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

My wife and I joined our first private club in August of last year, so we're just about a year into the new membership. We absolutely love it. No tee times, faster pace of play, facilities are awesome, and the food at the restaurant is fantastic. It's been a great decision thus far.

Titleist ProV1x
    Titleist 915 D2
    Titleist 716 T-MB 2-iron
    Callaway Apex irons 3-PW
    Odyssey Black Series #7
    Callaway Jaws and Mack Daddy Wedges
    edited Jul 15, 2019 9:00pm #17

I'd really like to join one now, as I've been a club member my entire adult life before relocating to my current city, and play well over a hundred rounds a year. I just can't seem to find one with the right combination of location, course quality, ambiance/membership, and initial cost.

• vinprun71vinprun71 ConnecticutMembers Posts: 102 ✭✭✭

My wife and I just joined a club. We love it so far. No tee times, tons of golf events, great pool, friendly staff and members, and the food is unreal. A lot of new features popping up at our club too, which definitely makes it even more enticing.

TaylorMade R15 460cc (10.5)
    Callaway FT 3 Wood (15)
    Cobra F9 Speedback 4 Iron (18.5)
    TaylorMade Burner 4 Hybrid (22)
    Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 5-GW
    Titleist Vokey SM7 56-F
    Titleist Vokey SM7 60-S
    Ping Karsten Anser
  • Bones.Bones. Members Posts: 30 ✭✭

My wife and I just joined a private club yesterday. We’re really excited about it. The course is great and really well taken care of and the social aspects and facilities (fitness center, resort pool, restaurant) are top notch. Plus the membership is pretty young and active in the club and golf.

We just moved to the area and have 2 young children so we feel like this will be good for our kids and our sense of community. They do a ton of youth golf and youth community stuff. The rates are low for what they offer IMO and they gave us pretty decent bonus incentives and an initiation fee reduction to join since we’re <35 years old

Nike VRS Covert Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 60G Flex-X
    Taylormade Burner 3W
    Cleveland HiBore 19º hybrid
    Mizuno JPX 800 4-PW KBS Tour S
    Mizuno JPX 800 49º GW
    Mizuno MP-R12 56º SW
    Vokey SM5 60º LW
    Odyssey White Hot 2-ball
  • ImpImp Fueled Members Posts: 6,025 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Joined a private club this year, haven't been able to make it work. A few reasons being a) everyone hangs out in the smoking bar area afterwards. No can do (severe asthma). b) been away for work quite a bit and c) the biggest - don't like how some of the members, and some members of the board even, have a particular culture and verbiage they use towards new members like myself that took part in a deal that wasn't offered to existing members as an initial membership fee. I get their position, but some of what they said (I was in the room and overheard the discussion at the other end of the bar clearly, and they weren't hiding it) was towards the members themselves and not the board/club that allowed it, was a good way to be sure I (and others) don't stick around next year. A few looked up when he said it, and scanned the room like "oh, are we safe?" I patted the guy I just finished playing with and said "well, I guess that's that." And walked out.

Callaway Rogue 10.5 / Callaway Rogue 3W / Mizuno JPX-EZ Forged Irons / Callaway MD4 52*, 58*, 64*
    edited Aug 7, 2019 3:00am #21

@Imp said:
    c) the biggest - don't like how some of the members, and some members of the board even, have a particular culture and verbiage they use towards new members like myself that took part in a deal that wasn't offered to existing members as an initial membership fee. I get their position, but some of what they said (I was in the room and overheard the discussion at the other end of the bar clearly, and they weren't hiding it) was towards the members themselves and not the board/club that allowed it, was a good way to be sure I (and others) don't stick around next year. A few looked up when he said it, and scanned the room like "oh, are we safe?" I patted the guy I just finished playing with and said "well, I guess that's that." And walked out.

I feel your pain. I had once joined a club on a "deal" they were offering because they were desperate for members. Excellent course, still one of my top 25 favorites. Not long after I joined, I went to the bar for dinner and a drink after my round and ended up sitting next to a board member who not only would not acknowledge me, but complained loudly with the bartender for a half hour about how all these new members had "no skin in the game" and were "flash in the pan" members who wouldn't last. I experienced a lot of similar attitudes and overheard similar comments that summer. A lot of people would say in a negative tone, right after we introduced ourselves and I mentioned that I just joined, "Oh you're one of those people who came in on the deal.' Well I guess the guy in the bar was right, I bailed after the first year.

@Bonneville85308 said:

@Imp said:
    c) the biggest - don't like how some of the members, and some members of the board even, have a particular culture and verbiage they use towards new members like myself that took part in a deal that wasn't offered to existing members as an initial membership fee. I get their position, but some of what they said (I was in the room and overheard the discussion at the other end of the bar clearly, and they weren't hiding it) was towards the members themselves and not the board/club that allowed it, was a good way to be sure I (and others) don't stick around next year. A few looked up when he said it, and scanned the room like "oh, are we safe?" I patted the guy I just finished playing with and said "well, I guess that's that." And walked out.

I feel your pain. I had once joined a club on a "deal" they were offering because they were desperate for members. Excellent course, still one of my top 25 favorites. Not long after I joined, I went to the bar for dinner and a drink after my round and ended up sitting next to a board member who not only would not acknowledge me, but complained loudly with the bartender for a half hour about how all these new members had "no skin in the game" and were "flash in the pan" members who wouldn't last. I experienced a lot of similar attitudes and overheard similar comments that summer. A lot of people would say in a negative tone, right after we introduced ourselves and I mentioned that I just joined, "Oh you're one of those people who came in on the deal.' Well I guess the guy in the bar was right, I bailed after the first year.

It is fascinating that clubs like this exist, let alone survive in any way. I guess that's why they had to offer the deals they did.

Oh and, @Imp, a "smoking bar"? WTF? Was this in a third world country or did you take a time machine back to the 80s? I honestly haven't seen anything like that in 20 years+. I don't even know anyone in my day-to-day life that smokes. I mean, I see people doing it of course but I can't think of a single person that I work with or that I'm friends with that smokes so the idea of a smoking bar is fascinating.

• ImpImp Fueled Members Posts: 6,025 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah. They have a couple bars. Downstairs, smoking bar, where most guys hang out. Upstairs is a bar that's part of the restaurant/function room that's open unless there's a function, good place to have a quiet drink, because there's hardly ever anyone there, or people that are, are there to eat lunch/dinner with friends and family (great food BTW), and not be near loud, sweaty, bragging, guys. shrug

Callaway Rogue 10.5 / Callaway Rogue 3W / Mizuno JPX-EZ Forged Irons / Callaway MD4 52*, 58*, 64*
  • pinhigh27pinhigh27 Members Posts: 9,703 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

The whole reason they have to offer deals to begin with is because they aren't doing great financially, for a variety of reasons.

I don't know what having skin in the game means or why I'd want to give a country club more money than I have to. Very stupid.

How to be in better shape for golf?
    Become a better athlete.
    Don't worry about golf specific.
    Compound lifts w/ linear progress
    Don't forget the mobility work.
    More results, more functional

Spin is not your enemy, everything is a trade-off.
    17 * 1700 goes really far, but doesn't go very straight or consistent
    8* 3500 goes really straight, but doesn't go very far
    Answer for most is somewhere in the middle.
    Pga tour driver avg launch conditions: 11* 2700

@pinhigh27 said:
    The whole reason they have to offer deals to begin with is because they aren't doing great financially, for a variety of reasons.

I don't know what having skin in the game means or why I'd want to give a country club more money than I have to. Very stupid.

The "skin in the game" that the loudmouth at the bar was referring to meant that he and his buddies had paid a significant initiation fee when joining years ago, whereas the people who joined when I did were not required to pay such a fee, and some also were in a "young professional" membership category with reduced dues that didn't exist a few years prior.

• pinhigh27pinhigh27 Members Posts: 9,703 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

They're probably just pissed they threw their money away. Initiations for non equity memberships is an inherently stupid concept and the fact that they are variable year to year shows why. If you need more money then raise dues. I have no idea the purpose of an initiation unless you are getting something that can then be resold, as in an equity membership.

It's an attempt to keep people with sunk costs.

How to be in better shape for golf?
    Become a better athlete.
    Don't worry about golf specific.
    Compound lifts w/ linear progress
    Don't forget the mobility work.
    More results, more functional

Spin is not your enemy, everything is a trade-off.
    17 * 1700 goes really far, but doesn't go very straight or consistent
    8* 3500 goes really straight, but doesn't go very far
    Answer for most is somewhere in the middle.
    Pga tour driver avg launch conditions: 11* 2700
  • RoodyRoody You ride her until she bucks you or don't ride at all Members Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

When I joined my current club last year, my wife and I got in on a "deal". Basically our dues and minimums start out good for year one, then increase a little in year two, year three and so on until we hit year five when it will be full boat. But I honestly have not had the same experience you mention above where any of the "full paying" members have given me a hard time about it.

Maybe I just haven't overheard anyone say something, or maybe I'm lucky enough to belong at a club where the members aren't jerks about it. I dunno. I would say just roll with it, don't let it bother you.

Titleist ProV1x
    Titleist 915 D2
    Titleist 716 T-MB 2-iron
    Callaway Apex irons 3-PW
    Odyssey Black Series #7
    Callaway Jaws and Mack Daddy Wedges
  • Lefty Light HItterLefty Light HItter Members Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Coming up on my first year of joining a "mid level" club in my area. I figured I'd be spending $500-$600/month and i"m over $1000. Convenience lulls you into spending more money.

In search of solid contact...
  • Lefty Light HItterLefty Light HItter Members Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@pinhigh27 said:
    Initiations for non equity memberships is an inherently stupid concept and the fact that they are variable year to year shows why. If you need more money then raise dues. I have no idea the purpose of an initiation unless you are getting something that can then be resold, as in an equity membership.

I agree 1000%. How can you call it an "equity" membership when you literally have no equity. Current rules of the club I joined was your equity was $100. Current full status member initiation is $15K. So for $15k a guy gets rights to $100 when he leaves. We were in on one of those "special" deals and live down the street so I looked at it as the cost of doing business to have access to the facility.

In search of solid contact...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file