2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Best Approach for Getting Rid of Older/Unused Clubs

TeeAreNY

What have you guys done with trying to get rid of your older clubs? Trying to clear out some space and I'm unsure whether any of these are worth the effort of posting individually in the BST section and/or eBay. But, also have realistic expectations that there is no market for some of these and accepting trade in value at a store might be the only option. Looking to get some credits to put towards a new club.

* Drivers: Taylormade R9 460, Ping G10, Callaway Great Big Bertha (Zero scratches or sky marks)

* Fairways: Srixon Z-Star, Nike SQ Dymo2

* Hybrids: Ping G25, Srixon AD

* Irons: Titleist 735CM, Ping G10 (8/10 Condition)

* Wedges: Cleveland CG16, Vokey SM4

* Putters: Yes! Callie, Odyssey Tank Cruiser 1W

The PGA Trade In Value for these three specific items is what's a little discouraging since they are in very good/mint condition.

1. Callaway Great Big Bertha ($55)

2. Odyssey Tank Cruiser 1W Putter ($50)

3. G10 Irons 4-AW ($100)

Taylormade SIM2 Max | Srixon Z-Star | Cleveland Launcher DST | Mizuno JPX-825 Pro | Titleist Vokey SM5 (54S, 58K) | SC Studio Select Newport 2

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Craigslist is a good option for older stuff that you just want to push out the door. I've been doing that with some luck. You get a pretty good amount of attention so long as your pricing is fair.

Ebay is so flooded that older / cheaper stuff often doesn't sell unless you put it up for basically nothing.

The PGA Trade-In program is a last resort, however there are sometimes promotions where you get increased value.

TSR3 (Dr) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2 (3w / 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-P) (Nippon Modus3)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

For most of the stuff you listed, you've basically got to decide how much your time and trouble is worth per item you sell on eBay or BST. With enough patience, you will eventually (months perhaps?) find buyers at prices that cover your transaction costs including shipping plus a few dollar to spare. Although a couple of the things you like, perhaps not.

But if you can sell an SQ Dymo 2 fairway wood and net something like 5-10 dollars profit it may not be worth posting and tending the listings, packaging it up, etc. For me, if I can't make at least $10 clear after all costs I just give the stuff away (if it's old and/or obscure) to Goodwill or hand it over to the pro shop at my club to see if they can find someone who wants it (if it's something I think anyone might want).

Time value of money. Is it worth taking the time to list everything individually, answer questions about them, box everything up and ship, versus just mass dump at a retail store trade in or Play it Again Sports etc.

Unfortunate truth about golf, only maybe 1% of all equipment if that, will ever do any sort of decent job holding value.

Below a certain threshold, I find myself doing the following:

Option 1 - Take it to a place where you can buy something else (likely used). If you buy something, they will probably take just about anything. Not saying the prices will be good but you get rid of it and get something on the spot.

Option 2 - Recommend it to a friend to try out and give it to them. If they don't like it, then it's their problem. Often, you end up with a free lunch/beers as well.

Option 3 - Set the clubs next to the rubbish bin in the carpark. Anyone can have it if they are willing to pick it up and carry it.

> @"Adam C" said:

> **Time value of money**. Is it worth taking the time to list everything individually, answer questions about them, box everything up and ship, versus just mass dump at a retail store trade in or Play it Again Sports etc.

> Unfortunate truth about golf, only maybe 1% of all equipment if that, will ever do any sort of decent job holding value.

This is a big thing, especially if you meet up locally or a bit further just to make a sale, it better be worth it. Trading in clubs I think is just easier. you don't get max value, but with the bonus programs various sites offer, it helps a bit. For people who buy new and flip, you're a lost cause in trying to get close to retail, tho many try.

What's In The Ping Moonlite:
Ping Rapture '14 13*
Ping Rapture DI 18*
Titleist 690.CB 4/6/8/PW
Vokey TVD 54*
Odyssey Tank V-Line

With the exception of the three items, I kind of assumed it would be the trade in route. Just wanted to run it by and see if I was missing anything. In terms of the the bonus value, does anyone have any site in particular to look out for? I know I've seen some promos in the past about 30-50% bonus club trade in but can't remember specifically which sites.

Taylormade SIM2 Max | Srixon Z-Star | Cleveland Launcher DST | Mizuno JPX-825 Pro | Titleist Vokey SM5 (54S, 58K) | SC Studio Select Newport 2

It doesn't take any real time or effort (let alone any money) to list things on Ebay / Craigslist. And shipping is also incredibly easy as prices are calculated automatically by the site. Moreover, postage can be purchased and paid for online which means that all you have to do is drop off the box at the store. Walk in. Walk out. You're done. You don't pay a fee on Ebay unless the item sells and to my knowledge you never pay a Craigslist fee of any kind.

The challenge is in actually _selling_ your stuff, which often requires pricing it real low.

But the act of snapping a few photos and creating a listing is super simple and re-listing is even easier. Ebay will re-list automatically if you want. Craigslist requires you push a single button to re-post a listing you've created.

So, to be clear, there is very little investment in trying to sell stuff. It's nothing you can't do in 5 minutes and once you have your listing it's effortless to keep it up for however long you wish.

If you're willing to give it away for nothing, you should probably always consider that as well given that it's a good deed and may help someone looking to get into the game. I wouldn't necessarily give away equipment that is collectively worth hundreds of dollars though.

TSR3 (Dr) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2 (3w / 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-P) (Nippon Modus3)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

> @Redstorm2011 said:

> What have you guys done with trying to get rid of your older clubs? Trying to clear out some space and I'm unsure whether any of these are worth the effort of posting individually in the BST section and/or eBay. But, also have realistic expectations that there is no market for some of these and accepting trade in value at a store might be the only option.

I chose ebay a few months ago. Ordered the packing, packed them up ready, sold them a few at a time and sold them all buy it now and priced to sell, with no offers. I timed the sales to coincide with days off to enable quick postage - nothing upsets eBay people more than waiting more than 48 hours.

Anyway, week by week my PayPal balance increased and eventually hit £1200 - all for stuff that was sitting in the shed. I could have sold for more, but what the hell.

It's not rocket science but (for me at least) getting 4-5 good quality photos suitable for a listing takes a good, solid 10-15 minutes of trial and error. If I have a suitable box on hand the packing doesn't take long but still, to do a good job of packing, labeling and weighing is another 10 minutes or so. Then once it sells I have to make a special trip to the P.O. or FedEx/UPS store. Again, only maybe 10-15 minutes out of my way at lunch time (unless there's a line at the P.O.).

So assuming no hassles with the listing or fielding questions or whatever, basically a half-hour of effort to do a one-item sale. Half an hour of my free time is worth more than a few dollars. And some of that time (the photos) is spent even when the darned thing doesn't sell.

Now if you can by some miracle bundle 2-3 items together to save on effort and shipping costs you're golden. But almost nobody on eBay or BST is interested in a fairway wood of one brand, a hybrid of another and a wedge of still another all bought as a lot.

Selling small-potatoes stuff online only makes sense if you do enough of it to run it through on an assembly-line basis or if you have time on your hands and find that sort of thing entertaining. Or if you're someone (I have a few friends like this) for whom the act of turning a "profit", even if it's 8 dollars and 50 cents, is enjoyable.

IF your area has a First Tee program to get kids started in golf, donate it to the program. First Tee will take the clubs to Play It Again Sports or similar places for store credit toward buying basic children's club sets.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

Rock bottom to me has the best trade in because if you get store credit it's 50 percent more. Since i buy a ton of stuff from them that's what i used to do, but 2 weeks ago i finally bit the bullet and started selling on eBay. It's definitely worth the time and effort. Usps gives you free boxes and you'll get a discount through eBay on the shipping. I made money on several items i originally bought and then sold on there.

The new tax cap the personal deduction, if you have not reached the cap limit, donate them and get full retail write off from your income tax.

Your local First Tee, Thrift Stores run by the church, charitable organization........ We used to donate those that did not sell at retail pric and wrote them off but the new cap for deduction really limit how much we could write them off.

You can give them to your family members if they have more room for tax write off , or just donate to charity without the tax benefit.

> @ChipNRun said:

> IF your area has a First Tee program to get kids started in golf, donate it to the program. First Tee will take the clubs to Play It Again Sports or similar places for store credit toward buying basic children's club sets.

I have a similar situation as the OP .I have never sold anything on eBay or Craigslist, or here on BST and have let the cautionary tales of others bad experiences prevent me from trying. In all my life's transactions of used stuff I have never gave anyone their money back in exchange for my stuff back nor have I ever asked a seller of used stuff to me for my money back. Maybe this is old school or maybe it is crazy of me but it is just the way I am. (Hey wasn't that an old Merle Haggard song? ) I have sold a few things in the last few years using local buy and sell papers like I WANNA or on swap shop on local am radio.

Anyway I still had a lot of stuff to sell that I didn't want to give away but a friend of mine suggested the first tee. He said it would make me feel good helping a good cause and all so I told him I would think about it. A few weeks later while at the practice range of a course that is also a first tee participant I saw another friend of mine who is a first tee volunteer. He asked me if I would help him lift/load three industrial size gray Rubbermaid type trash cans crammed full of used golf clubs into the bed of his truck. I mentioned to him that I should probably run home and get at least some of my used clubs that had been trying unsuccessfully to sell to let him have for first tee. He then sheepishly admitted to me that he was taking the cans full of clubs to the recycling center to hopefully sell as scrap and get a" few dollars ". Not trying to start a thread about the first tee but he just said as far as the one he was volunteering with it had evolved to the place where old used golf clubs being donated were more of a burden than a help . (eiri) So I guess for me for now it's "Good morning welcome to the swap shop. What do you have to sell ? ".......

4 years of golf complete this October. I now have 1 complete bag that I don't use. I'm going to put it together and give it to a friend whose life I want to ruin.

Seriously though, if the influx isn't gonna move the needle or be new club budget, just give it away.

Aforementioned bag is going to a coworker who has expressed interest.

Although if he never uses it I'm gonna want it back. So maybe a conditional donation.

It's been my experience over the years of being a major club ho that Ping and Titleist are by far the manufacturers that have the best resale value. Sell the Ping and Titleist stuff and trade the rest. I've found that Global golf usually has decent trade-in prices vs some other sites and they often have a promotion for up to 20% more on trades with a coupon code.

I replied to local CL post from a retired teaching pro who volunteers with The First Tee and also does a little flipping to supplement his retirement. What he doesn’t resell he donates and uses a lot of the money he makes to give back to the less fortunate in the local community.

It was literally a 20 minute process to load up all my extra collection sans and few keepers and drive them 1 hour north. An hour later I was back on the road with a stack of $100 bills and way less clutter in my life.

I got to ~50 cents on the dollar for what it would have sold for on the usual suspect sites. Taking my time into account and fees I probably netted close to what I would have by selling myself and saved lots of time to do other things worth more to me than taking pictures, listing, wrapping, packing cardboard boxes, and dealing with PayPal.

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

Keep them as display items. This drives me nuts...buy something for $300, use it lightly for 2 months...resale is $90 used - if you cna even sell it or $40 on trade in to a larger organization.

I'd rather hold onto it and get zero than sell for that kind of loss.

I'll try to donate stuff for free - but maybe I can make a Game Of Thrones chair out of old clubs??

Driver (9.0) - Cobra LTDx Aldila Rogue Silver 70 S, 44.5"
Wood (14.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S

Wood (17.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S
Driving Iron (20) - Srixon U65 Project X 5.5
Irons (5-6) - Srixon Z565 Project X 5.5
Irons (7-P) - Srixon Z765 Project X 5.5
Wedges - Vokey SM-7 Jet Black / 50.08 F / 54.08 M / 58.08 M DG S300
Putter - Edel E-1
Ball - Titleist Prov1x
ZGrip Midsized Grips

Anything Ping or Titleist should eventually sell on the BST, craigs, or fleabay, if they are in good condition, and the price is fair.

But if there are hundreds of G25 hybrids on eBay for $40-$45, it's going to be a tough sell at $60, for example.

Woods/Fairways:  Callaway with Mitsubishi shafts

Irons:  Srixon with Dynamic Gold shafts

> @morgan1819 said:

> Anything Ping or Titleist should eventually sell on the BST, craigs, or fleabay, if they are in good condition, and the price is fair.

> But if there are hundreds of G25 hybrids on eBay for $40-$45, it's going to be a tough sell at $60, for example.

> ...

Speaking of which, what is it with Ping hybrids? Every generation of hybrids they come out with eventually shows up by the hundreds all over eBay or sitting in big bins at the local Dick's Sporting Goods.