Your most humbling experience on the course

24
4

Comments

  • phatchrisrulesphatchrisrules Southern Ontario, CanadaUnregistered  2130WRX Points: 394Handicap: 6.5Posts: 2,130 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #32

    On -, @Windlaker_1 said:

    Just happened last week on the 4th.
    My personal best is 86.
    I'm on the 18th Tee Box, and I find out I'm sitting at 81. Relatively easy Par 4, 400-ish yards.
    Hit my drive into the 1st fairway...first slice of the day, using the same ball I started off the day with. My foursome, and the foursome coming down 1 could not find the ball.
    Take the "Walk of Shame" back to the tee box, and hit a drive that draws to the left side near some pines. My friend starts looking behind the pine. I said I thought it stopped right at the base of the tree. No, we saw it scoot into the woods, he says. Drop and hit 5, just short of the green. Chunked my chip, three-putted for a 9.

    Went from 81 to 90 in about 400 yards.

    That is the one rule in golf I wish was changed. There should be no penalty for a lost ball in play. A tour pro has never lost a ball by slicing it or hooking it just off the regular boundary of the hole. They have all of these other "no fault" rules like the accidental moving and whatnot. I just don't understand why I have to take stroke and distance when I know Weekend Walter on the fairway over picked up my ball or hit my ball instead of the Noodle I found at approximately the same spot my drive was expected to be in. I had that happen to me on Monday -- once I physically saw someone bend down and pick up my ball but they were too far ahead to confront them and two other times the ball just vanished in a spot it very clearly should have been.

    Posted:

    Taylormade R510TP - Speeder 757
    Sonartec NP-99 14* and 17* - NV Green 85
    Nickent Genex 3DX 21* - Dynamic Gold SL
    Titleist 660 4-P - Dynamic Gold
    Cleveland 54* and 59* - Dynamic Gold
    Scotty Cameron Teryllium

  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • whitembwhitemb Members  279WRX Points: 75Handicap: 4.6Posts: 279 Greens
    Joined:  #33

    Mine involves a shart ...

    Posted:
  • Birdie MacBirdie Mac Members  679WRX Points: 345Posts: 679 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #34

    On -, @whitemb said:

    Mine involves a shart ...

    That's all the detail we need. Thanks!

    Posted:
  • PepperturboPepperturbo Midwest and SouthwestMembers  16676WRX Points: 947Handicap: Low-Mid SDPosts: 16,676 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  edited Jul 11, 2019 #35

    Good story and a wise lesson that all could regard but probably won't. Truly, I have never been so brash or overly confident playing golf, or for that matter any other sport, that another person's behavior taught me a humbling lesson. However, I am humbled and honored to be acquainted with a few Seals, as well as Medal of Honor recipients.

    Posted:
    Titleist TS2 9.5, Ventus 5 "S"
    Titleist TS2 16.5*, Ventus 7 "S"
    Titleist 718 T-MB 17* 2i, Steelfiber "S"
    Titleist 620 CB/MB 3i-PW, Steelfiber "S"
    SM6 F-52/8, Steelfiber "S"
    SM6 M-58/8, DG-S200
    SC California Monterey
    ProV1



  • LHGolf4LHGolf4 Lefty Boomers  568WRX Points: 200Posts: 568 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #37

    Was in high school and probably an 18 handicap. A buddy and myself got paired up with a couple guys ( they were definitely better than us). There was a short par 4 with an elevated tee box. I had almost driven the last time I played this course so I was going to really go for the green. I swung and barely clipped it and hit it between my legs and it rolled straight down the hill behind me. I don’t remember much else from that day.

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • PepperturboPepperturbo Midwest and SouthwestMembers  16676WRX Points: 947Handicap: Low-Mid SDPosts: 16,676 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #38

    On -, @tatertot said:

    On -, @Pepperturbo said:

    Good story and a wise lesson that all could regard but probably won't. Truly, I have never been so brash or overly confident playing golf, or for that matter any other sport, that another person's behavior taught me a humbling lesson. However, I am humbled and honored to be acquainted with a few Seals, as well as Medal of Honor recipients.

    What a load of crap.

    Thanks for sharing with us, what's between your ears.

    Posted:
    Titleist TS2 9.5, Ventus 5 "S"
    Titleist TS2 16.5*, Ventus 7 "S"
    Titleist 718 T-MB 17* 2i, Steelfiber "S"
    Titleist 620 CB/MB 3i-PW, Steelfiber "S"
    SM6 F-52/8, Steelfiber "S"
    SM6 M-58/8, DG-S200
    SC California Monterey
    ProV1



  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Tasmania to CanadaMembers  13773WRX Points: 2,626Handicap: 0.9 >< 3.8Posts: 13,773 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #39

    On -, @tatertot said:

    On -, @Pepperturbo said:

    Good story and a wise lesson that all could regard but probably won't. Truly, I have never been so brash or overly confident playing golf, or for that matter any other sport, that another person's behavior taught me a humbling lesson. However, I am humbled and honored to be acquainted with a few Seals, as well as Medal of Honor recipients.

    What a load of crap.

    I agree with

    On -, @TaterTot, sorry Pepper

    Somewhere down the line on the golf course - something happened that was humbling. I can probably come up with over 100 things in 5 minutes from the last 35 years
    I can picture 10 shots (at a minimum) alone hit by partners and opponents that humbled me to the core. Towering 2 irons from 230, over a tree then over a lake to a tucked back pin, off the base of a flag stick etc etc. That sort of thing. Example 2, Long drive guy in a scramble flying a 3 wood off the deck on a par 4, 320 onto a green and stopping it dead (there's a pond in front)
    Posted:

    Ping G400 LST 10.6* GD BB 7s
    Ping G400 3w 13.5* Oban Revenge 65x
    Ping G400 5w 16.5* Blueboard Ion 73x
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* GD Tour AD DI 95x
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* GD Tour AD DI 105x
    Ping Blueprint 6 - PW UST Recoil 110
    Vokey SM2 50-54tvd-59tvd-64 s400 onyx
    Piretti Matera Elite torched

  • QueensNYGolferQueensNYGolfer Members  3WRX Points: 7Handicap: 7Posts: 3 Starters
    Joined:  #40

    In one of those pretentious IJGT tournaments that I played in as a teen I once shot a 132 on Saturday and an 80 on Sunday. Saturday my dad got lost on the way to the course so I was docked a two stroke penalty and then proceeded to lose 8 balls on the first 2 holes because I was so rattled. Shot par for the course on the front 9

    Posted:
  • PepperturboPepperturbo Midwest and SouthwestMembers  16676WRX Points: 947Handicap: Low-Mid SDPosts: 16,676 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #41

    On -, @cardoustie said:

    On -, @tatertot said:

    On -, @Pepperturbo said:

    Good story and a wise lesson that all could regard but probably won't. Truly, I have never been so brash or overly confident playing golf, or for that matter any other sport, that another person's behavior taught me a humbling lesson. However, I am humbled and honored to be acquainted with a few Seals, as well as Medal of Honor recipients.

    What a load of crap.

    I agree with

    On -, @TaterTot, sorry Pepper

    Somewhere down the line on the golf course - something happened that was humbling. I can probably come up with over 100 things in 5 minutes from the last 35 years
    I can picture 10 shots (at a minimum) alone hit by partners and opponents that humbled me to the core. Towering 2 irons from 230, over a tree then over a lake to a tucked back pin, off the base of a flag stick etc etc. That sort of thing. Example 2, Long drive guy in a scramble flying a 3 wood off the deck on a par 4, 320 onto a green and stopping it dead (there's a pond in front)

    Your welcome to your opinion and value but you're wrong when it comes to ME. I stand by what I said. Golf is just a game, like other sports I have participated in. We're NOT all the same, you should know that. Though golf has special learning moments I am not humbled by what happens good or bad in a sport, just accept my due. I grew up with manners and have always kept my ego in check. When one gets too big for their britches that's when they get knocked down a few notches hopefully feeling humbled, unfortunately, that isn't always the case. If you've ever trained for combat and seen what some men willingly do in combat to save brothers, feeling humbled by their vicinity and accomplishment is not like a golf event slapping you upside the head because your ego needed a reality check... It's about perspective.

    Posted:
    Titleist TS2 9.5, Ventus 5 "S"
    Titleist TS2 16.5*, Ventus 7 "S"
    Titleist 718 T-MB 17* 2i, Steelfiber "S"
    Titleist 620 CB/MB 3i-PW, Steelfiber "S"
    SM6 F-52/8, Steelfiber "S"
    SM6 M-58/8, DG-S200
    SC California Monterey
    ProV1



  • Pete O'TubePete O'Tube Members  397WRX Points: 125Handicap: 6Posts: 397 Greens
    Joined:  edited Jul 15, 2019 #42

    My landlord, who lived next door, invited me to play at his club. I was off 5, he was 77 and playing off 9. Before we started I looked into his bag, he had Driver, 3,5,7,9,11 woods a wedge, Sand Wedge and a putter. No worries thought I. Have you ever seen a 77 year old hit his 9 wood out of a deep fairway bunker 120 yards onto the green? I did, well I saw the top of his backswing - it was that deep! I lost 4 & 3 and played as well as I could. Turned out he'd been a member at Royal Troon for about 60 years and had played off Scratch for 40 of those years. We were playing at Kilmarnock Barassie an Open Qualifier just outside Troon. What a player, and what a really nice bloke - we went back to his house and drank all his whisky!

    Posted:
    Mizuno ST190 TS Driver Fujikura Atmos 5R
    Mizuno ST190 TS 3W Fujikura Atmos 6R
    Ping G10 18 deg Hybrid Reg
    4 - 6 Mizuno MP18 MMC FliHi Recoil F3 95g Reg
    7 -W Mizuno MP18 SC Recoil F3 95g Reg
    53.08 Vokey SM5
    56.08 Vokey SM5
    Ping Anser (Since 1959)


  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • Big BenBig Ben Members  9350WRX Points: 518Handicap: 5Posts: 9,350 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  edited Jul 21, 2019 #43

    I was preparing for a generous toot and got something else! Not a happy day.

    Posted:
    Post edited by Big Ben on
    Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
    Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
    Fairway: Titleist 917F2
    Hybrid: A-Grind
    2 iron: Ping Rapture
    Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
    Putter: Evnroll 9.1
    Balls: ProV1
  • @_the_crook@_the_crook Members  868WRX Points: 332Posts: 868 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #44

    every round is served with humble pie. this is golf. take nothing for granted. enjoy _your _game.

    Posted:
    currently playing:
    Steelhead III , FT-5 - D
    Warbirds, 3+, 4
    Hogan BH-5, 3-PW
    Wilson DynaPowered SW
    Ping Anser
    it works

    when I need a change, there are 12 bags full to choose from .
  • MtlJeffMtlJeff MontrealMembers  29698WRX Points: 2,649Handicap: 0.0Posts: 29,698 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  edited Jul 16, 2019 #45

    On -, @Pepperturbo said:

    On -, @cardoustie said:

    On -, @tatertot said:

    On -, @Pepperturbo said:

    Good story and a wise lesson that all could regard but probably won't. Truly, I have never been so brash or overly confident playing golf, or for that matter any other sport, that another person's behavior taught me a humbling lesson. However, I am humbled and honored to be acquainted with a few Seals, as well as Medal of Honor recipients.

    What a load of crap.

    I agree with

    On -, @TaterTot, sorry Pepper

    Somewhere down the line on the golf course - something happened that was humbling. I can probably come up with over 100 things in 5 minutes from the last 35 years
    I can picture 10 shots (at a minimum) alone hit by partners and opponents that humbled me to the core. Towering 2 irons from 230, over a tree then over a lake to a tucked back pin, off the base of a flag stick etc etc. That sort of thing. Example 2, Long drive guy in a scramble flying a 3 wood off the deck on a par 4, 320 onto a green and stopping it dead (there's a pond in front)

    Your welcome to your opinion and value but you're wrong when it comes to ME. I stand by what I said. Golf is just a game, like other sports I have participated in. We're NOT all the same, you should know that. Though golf has special learning moments I am not humbled by what happens good or bad in a sport, just accept my due. I grew up with manners and have always kept my ego in check. When one gets too big for their britches that's when they get knocked down a few notches hopefully feeling humbled, unfortunately, that isn't always the case. If you've ever trained for combat and seen what some men willingly do in combat to save brothers, feeling humbled by their vicinity and accomplishment is not like a golf event slapping you upside the head because your ego needed a reality check... It's about perspective.

    I agree with you Pepper, i've played against players better than me, and i have played with guys who have hit fantastic shots. But i've never felt....less of myself, or "humbled" by other guys. I respect that these guys have probably worked harder or practiced longer to be better. But to be honest i've never really felt like i've seen some superhuman stuff or anything. I mean i've never played against Tiger Woods.

    I've lost to guys who were better, and i've lost to guys because i wasn't at my best....but i've never left the course thinking that i was some hopeless ****

    Posted:
    Cobra F9 w/Fujikura Atmos TS Black 7
    Cobra F9 FW w/ Matrix Black Tie 80
    Ping G400 Crossover 20 w/KBS Tour Proto Hybrid
    Ping G410 4-SW w/S300
    Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 60 w/S300
    SGC NorthWood center shaft 400g
  • uitar9uitar9 Members  460WRX Points: 123Handicap: LOLPosts: 460 Greens
    Joined:  #47

    Mine was self induced...picking up the flag stick, carrying it off the green and trying to fit it into my bag before realizing what the f--- I was doing...playing partners didn't say a word as I sheepishly put it back in the hole.

    Posted:
    KZG OS11 12 degree driver
    Calloway 16 5-wood
    Calloway 20.5 heavenwood
    Cobra 24.5 9-wood
    KZG 5-PW irons
    KZG 52 and 56 and cobra 60 wedges
    TM Spider mallet
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • j-robj-rob Members  1131WRX Points: 132Posts: 1,131 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #48

    I think some folks in this thread are confusing shame and humility. They are not the same thing.

    Posted:
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Tasmania to CanadaMembers  13773WRX Points: 2,626Handicap: 0.9 >< 3.8Posts: 13,773 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #49

    On -, @MtlJeff said:

    On -, @Pepperturbo said:

    On -, @cardoustie said:

    On -, @tatertot said:

    On -, @Pepperturbo said:

    Good story and a wise lesson that all could regard but probably won't. Truly, I have never been so brash or overly confident playing golf, or for that matter any other sport, that another person's behavior taught me a humbling lesson. However, I am humbled and honored to be acquainted with a few Seals, as well as Medal of Honor recipients.

    What a load of crap.

    I agree with

    On -, @TaterTot, sorry Pepper

    Somewhere down the line on the golf course - something happened that was humbling. I can probably come up with over 100 things in 5 minutes from the last 35 years
    I can picture 10 shots (at a minimum) alone hit by partners and opponents that humbled me to the core. Towering 2 irons from 230, over a tree then over a lake to a tucked back pin, off the base of a flag stick etc etc. That sort of thing. Example 2, Long drive guy in a scramble flying a 3 wood off the deck on a par 4, 320 onto a green and stopping it dead (there's a pond in front)

    Your welcome to your opinion and value but you're wrong when it comes to ME. I stand by what I said. Golf is just a game, like other sports I have participated in. We're NOT all the same, you should know that. Though golf has special learning moments I am not humbled by what happens good or bad in a sport, just accept my due. I grew up with manners and have always kept my ego in check. When one gets too big for their britches that's when they get knocked down a few notches hopefully feeling humbled, unfortunately, that isn't always the case. If you've ever trained for combat and seen what some men willingly do in combat to save brothers, feeling humbled by their vicinity and accomplishment is not like a golf event slapping you upside the head because your ego needed a reality check... It's about perspective.

    I agree with you Pepper, i've played against players better than me, and i have played with guys who have hit fantastic shots. But i've never felt....less of myself, or "humbled" by other guys. I respect that these guys have probably worked harder or practiced longer to be better. But to be honest i've never really felt like i've seen some superhuman stuff or anything. I mean i've never played against Tiger Woods.

    I've lost to guys who were better, and i've lost to guys because i wasn't at my best....but i've never left the course thinking that i was some hopeless ****

    You've never played with a tour pro or top am or long hitter that hit a shot there is zero chance you could ever hit .. and were somewhat humbled by it?
    Surprising
    Golf, by its nature, is humbling

    Posted:

    Ping G400 LST 10.6* GD BB 7s
    Ping G400 3w 13.5* Oban Revenge 65x
    Ping G400 5w 16.5* Blueboard Ion 73x
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* GD Tour AD DI 95x
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* GD Tour AD DI 105x
    Ping Blueprint 6 - PW UST Recoil 110
    Vokey SM2 50-54tvd-59tvd-64 s400 onyx
    Piretti Matera Elite torched

  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Tasmania to CanadaMembers  13773WRX Points: 2,626Handicap: 0.9 >< 3.8Posts: 13,773 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #50

    On -, @Pepperturbo said:

    On -, @cardoustie said:

    On -, @tatertot said:

    On -, @Pepperturbo said:

    Good story and a wise lesson that all could regard but probably won't. Truly, I have never been so brash or overly confident playing golf, or for that matter any other sport, that another person's behavior taught me a humbling lesson. However, I am humbled and honored to be acquainted with a few Seals, as well as Medal of Honor recipients.

    What a load of crap.

    I agree with

    On -, @TaterTot, sorry Pepper

    Somewhere down the line on the golf course - something happened that was humbling. I can probably come up with over 100 things in 5 minutes from the last 35 years
    I can picture 10 shots (at a minimum) alone hit by partners and opponents that humbled me to the core. Towering 2 irons from 230, over a tree then over a lake to a tucked back pin, off the base of a flag stick etc etc. That sort of thing. Example 2, Long drive guy in a scramble flying a 3 wood off the deck on a par 4, 320 onto a green and stopping it dead (there's a pond in front)

    Your welcome to your opinion and value but you're wrong when it comes to ME. I stand by what I said. Golf is just a game, like other sports I have participated in. We're NOT all the same, you should know that. Though golf has special learning moments I am not humbled by what happens good or bad in a sport, just accept my due. I grew up with manners and have always kept my ego in check. When one gets too big for their britches that's when they get knocked down a few notches hopefully feeling humbled, unfortunately, that isn't always the case. If you've ever trained for combat and seen what some men willingly do in combat to save brothers, feeling humbled by their vicinity and accomplishment is not like a golf event slapping you upside the head because your ego needed a reality check... It's about perspective.

    I'd also like to add a comment on the military. I am friends with many active & retired members and highly respectful, with full admiration of their position and choices. (My grandfather was actually in a German POW camp in the second world war) . So I get it.
    He was a big tough bear of a man (6'3" and 300) that lived to 88.
    That being said, I don't see how comparisons in life - for some - always relate back to military and sacrifice.
    There are many MANY life situations and experiences where perspective can be gained. Some people are dealt a rotten hand. Some everyday people are heroic.

    Posted:

    Ping G400 LST 10.6* GD BB 7s
    Ping G400 3w 13.5* Oban Revenge 65x
    Ping G400 5w 16.5* Blueboard Ion 73x
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* GD Tour AD DI 95x
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* GD Tour AD DI 105x
    Ping Blueprint 6 - PW UST Recoil 110
    Vokey SM2 50-54tvd-59tvd-64 s400 onyx
    Piretti Matera Elite torched

  • JJK947JJK947 Members  3241WRX Points: 270Posts: 3,241 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #51

    The guy with no ego or inflated self perception is above being humbled by someone else's golf ability. Only the pinnacle of human sacrifice and valor is able to humble such a man. Right.

    Speaking of abilities, being a scratch and a fairly long hitter, it's not overly common that something humbles me on the golf course but playing with guys who have done long drive is always fascinating. Their ability is not something that I can comprehend or relate to. On the self inflicted front, it's always humbling when testing the game in tournament mode doesn't doesn't come close to expectations. Triggers a mental reset for me.

    Posted:

    Taylormade M5 (9) - Tensei Pro Orange 60
    Taylormade M3 T3 (14) - Tensei Pro Orange 70
    Taylormade M3 5W (19) - Tensei Pro Orange 80
    Srixon Z945 3-PW - DG Tour X100
    Mizuno MP T20 52.09 - DG Tour S400
    Mizuno MP T20 58.04 - DG Tour S400
    Scotty Cameron Studio Style NP2

  • MtlJeffMtlJeff MontrealMembers  29698WRX Points: 2,649Handicap: 0.0Posts: 29,698 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #52

    On -, @cardoustie said:

    On -, @MtlJeff said:

    On -, @Pepperturbo said:

    On -, @cardoustie said:

    On -, @tatertot said:

    On -, @Pepperturbo said:

    Good story and a wise lesson that all could regard but probably won't. Truly, I have never been so brash or overly confident playing golf, or for that matter any other sport, that another person's behavior taught me a humbling lesson. However, I am humbled and honored to be acquainted with a few Seals, as well as Medal of Honor recipients.

    What a load of crap.

    I agree with

    On -, @TaterTot, sorry Pepper

    Somewhere down the line on the golf course - something happened that was humbling. I can probably come up with over 100 things in 5 minutes from the last 35 years
    I can picture 10 shots (at a minimum) alone hit by partners and opponents that humbled me to the core. Towering 2 irons from 230, over a tree then over a lake to a tucked back pin, off the base of a flag stick etc etc. That sort of thing. Example 2, Long drive guy in a scramble flying a 3 wood off the deck on a par 4, 320 onto a green and stopping it dead (there's a pond in front)

    Your welcome to your opinion and value but you're wrong when it comes to ME. I stand by what I said. Golf is just a game, like other sports I have participated in. We're NOT all the same, you should know that. Though golf has special learning moments I am not humbled by what happens good or bad in a sport, just accept my due. I grew up with manners and have always kept my ego in check. When one gets too big for their britches that's when they get knocked down a few notches hopefully feeling humbled, unfortunately, that isn't always the case. If you've ever trained for combat and seen what some men willingly do in combat to save brothers, feeling humbled by their vicinity and accomplishment is not like a golf event slapping you upside the head because your ego needed a reality check... It's about perspective.

    I agree with you Pepper, i've played against players better than me, and i have played with guys who have hit fantastic shots. But i've never felt....less of myself, or "humbled" by other guys. I respect that these guys have probably worked harder or practiced longer to be better. But to be honest i've never really felt like i've seen some superhuman stuff or anything. I mean i've never played against Tiger Woods.

    I've lost to guys who were better, and i've lost to guys because i wasn't at my best....but i've never left the course thinking that i was some hopeless ****

    You've never played with a tour pro or top am or long hitter that hit a shot there is zero chance you could ever hit .. and were somewhat humbled by it?
    Surprising
    Golf, by its nature, is humbling

    I guess it's just how you define "humbled". I've played with great players and watched them do awesome things, but I also believe that their ability comes from putting in the time to be great . So I just see it as they put in the time to be that good and I didn't .

    I've been very impressed by people, I just wouldn't define it as humbled I guess

    Posted:
    Cobra F9 w/Fujikura Atmos TS Black 7
    Cobra F9 FW w/ Matrix Black Tie 80
    Ping G400 Crossover 20 w/KBS Tour Proto Hybrid
    Ping G410 4-SW w/S300
    Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 60 w/S300
    SGC NorthWood center shaft 400g
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • dlygrissedlygrisse KansasMembers  13879WRX Points: 1,440Handicap: 8-ishPosts: 13,879 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #53

    I played in my first real tournament, a city championship. Playing a course I had played many times, first two holes were a easy short par 5 and a par 3. I think I started 8, 5. totally choking and not really breathing till the back 9. I don't really remember what I shot, as it was many years ago, but I knew our names/scores would be in the paper. I calmed down and think I ended up in the 90's, (single digit handicap) but I found out the difference between golf and tournament golf very quickly.

    Posted:
    I pick 14 of the following:
    Ping G400
    Callaway Epic Flash 3w 
    Ping G410 5 and 7 wood
    Callaway Apex 23*
    Ping G 4-U
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54, 58 SS
    Grips NDMC +4
    Odyssey Pro #1 black
    Hoofer
    ProV1x-mostly
    ECCO Biom Hybrid 3
  • PepperturboPepperturbo Midwest and SouthwestMembers  16676WRX Points: 947Handicap: Low-Mid SDPosts: 16,676 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #54

    On -, @JJK947 said:

    The guy with no ego or inflated self perception is above being humbled by someone else's golf ability. Only the pinnacle of human sacrifice and valor is able to humble such a man. Right.

    Speaking of abilities, being a scratch and a fairly long hitter, it's not overly common that something humbles me on the golf course but playing with guys who have done long drive is always fascinating. Their ability is not something that I can comprehend or relate to. On the self inflicted front, it's always humbling when testing the game in tournament mode doesn't doesn't come close to expectations. Triggers a mental reset for me.

    I attended Catholic schools until college. Like others, I have an ID, Ego, and SuperEgo, and intimately acquainted with humility. Unfortunately, too many people redefine words not paying attention to why they exist in the first place. A few years back I played with a young guy that hit only one driver that day, from an elevated tee, it carried over 430 yards. No, I was not humbled by his ability, but impressed by his ability to smack the ball that hard.

    Posted:
    Titleist TS2 9.5, Ventus 5 "S"
    Titleist TS2 16.5*, Ventus 7 "S"
    Titleist 718 T-MB 17* 2i, Steelfiber "S"
    Titleist 620 CB/MB 3i-PW, Steelfiber "S"
    SM6 F-52/8, Steelfiber "S"
    SM6 M-58/8, DG-S200
    SC California Monterey
    ProV1



  • DLev45DLev45 Members  375WRX Points: 208Handicap: 8.5Posts: 375 Greens
    Joined:  edited Jul 16, 2019 #55

    First week of June this year I was playing at 10 handicap but had been striping it at the range and knew I was about to turn the corner into the 70s consistently. Came out on fire and eagled #9 to be 35 (-1) at the turn. This was the first time I had ever broken par in any 9 holes and my playing partners were all patting me on the back, "he's in the zone, etc."

    I shot a 45 (+9) on the back to shoot 80 (+8).

    Back to work.

    Thankfully, I have shot 77s in 3 of my last 5 rounds so it wasn't just a super-fluke. I have actually gotten better like I thought and dropped from a 10 the first week of June to an 8.3 now. But it was certainly humbling to be so high and then so low in the same round.

    Posted:
  • RichieHuntRichieHunt Members  4059WRX Points: 751Posts: 4,059 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #56

    In high school we played a tournament to qualify for the qualifier for states. I played miserably, but made the cut. I then proceeded to tell everybody how poorly I played but still made the cut. My high school coach was a no-nonsense type of coach, but he always treated me fairly. After the tournament was finished, he drove me back home and while he didn’t read me the riot act, he basically came about as close as one could come to doing so. However, he didn’t just scold me for the sake of it. He explained to me why the way I was acting was very conceited and making it all about myself and simply put, nobody cared about how poorly I played.

    I remember some of my friends hearing about this and thought my coach was being overbearing. About a month later I was caught skipping school and I got in a lot of trouble from the school and from my parents. My coach was the one that didn’t come down on me which was surprising given his no nonsense approach as a coach and as a math teacher. In fact, he copped to getting in trouble for skipping school when he was a kid. For all of the people that came down on me for skipping school, he wasn’t one of them. I think he understood I was clearly serving my punishment for the crime and didn’t need him to pile on.

    I valued that conversation we had the prior month even more and valued everything he said to me from then. A year later he retired and then 2 years after that he passed away.

    RH

    Posted:
  • Birdie MacBirdie Mac Members  679WRX Points: 345Posts: 679 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #57

    On -, @Big Ben said:

    I was preparing for a generous **** and got something else! Not a happy day.

    Never trust a ****.

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • PepperturboPepperturbo Midwest and SouthwestMembers  16676WRX Points: 947Handicap: Low-Mid SDPosts: 16,676 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #58

    On -, @cardoustie said:

    On -, @Pepperturbo said:

    On -, @cardoustie said:

    On -, @tatertot said:

    On -, @Pepperturbo said:

    Good story and a wise lesson that all could regard but probably won't. Truly, I have never been so brash or overly confident playing golf, or for that matter any other sport, that another person's behavior taught me a humbling lesson. However, I am humbled and honored to be acquainted with a few Seals, as well as Medal of Honor recipients.

    What a load of crap.

    I agree with

    On -, @TaterTot, sorry Pepper

    Somewhere down the line on the golf course - something happened that was humbling. I can probably come up with over 100 things in 5 minutes from the last 35 years
    I can picture 10 shots (at a minimum) alone hit by partners and opponents that humbled me to the core. Towering 2 irons from 230, over a tree then over a lake to a tucked back pin, off the base of a flag stick etc etc. That sort of thing. Example 2, Long drive guy in a scramble flying a 3 wood off the deck on a par 4, 320 onto a green and stopping it dead (there's a pond in front)

    Your welcome to your opinion and value but you're wrong when it comes to ME. I stand by what I said. Golf is just a game, like other sports I have participated in. We're NOT all the same, you should know that. Though golf has special learning moments I am not humbled by what happens good or bad in a sport, just accept my due. I grew up with manners and have always kept my ego in check. When one gets too big for their britches that's when they get knocked down a few notches hopefully feeling humbled, unfortunately, that isn't always the case. If you've ever trained for combat and seen what some men willingly do in combat to save brothers, feeling humbled by their vicinity and accomplishment is not like a golf event slapping you upside the head because your ego needed a reality check... It's about perspective.

    I'd also like to add a comment on the military. I am friends with many active & retired members and highly respectful, with full admiration of their position and choices. (My grandfather was actually in a German POW camp in the second world war) . So I get it.
    He was a big tough bear of a man (6'3" and 300) that lived to 88.
    That being said, I don't see how comparisons in life - for some - always relate back to military and sacrifice.
    There are many MANY life situations and experiences where perspective can be gained. Some people are dealt a rotten hand. Some everyday people are heroic.

    Perhaps you don't understand because you've never volunteered to be in the line of fire and willingly offer the ultimate sacrifice for a purpose greater than your own; I have and been around many men that have. People talk about what others do and see it on TV/movies but don't emotionally connect because they haven't done anything remotely similar and or wouldn't. Someone on the golf course or in any sport demonstrating an ability that is beyond the scope or ability of viewers IMO is just a trained ability.

    I am humbled when in the presence of men that take action not caring about the ultimate sacrifice. Let's put that in perspective. A man in a tournament hits a ball 400+ yards in the middle of the fairway. WOW, that's impressive, am I humbled, no, just impressed with his accomplishment. A man, over and over, runs into the field of fire to pull wounded brothers to safety, as the possible cost of his own life, sometimes by himself to save 5-20 brothers. Yep, I will always relate to the latter action as humbling and just hope that given the same circumstances, I react like him even today.
    I've played golf with touring pros, pro-Superbowl football stars and baseball players and guys that hit the ball a country mile by me; they are guys doing what they have trained for, consequently, their ability in certain areas are greater than yours and mine, that is all. A game isn't life and death. I chose different training endeavors that lead me to shoot a target 600-750 meters away, close-quarter combat, martial arts, etc., (I wasn't in the military) and building a national company and a 2-5 index. As a result of our positive accomplishments and experiences in life, our self-confidence, self-image and early childhood values play influential roles in what humbles us today.

    Yes, like you, I've gained a great deal of insight over my life. However, I was taught in Catholic schools to prioritize/value certain actions and behaviors over others that have degrees of right and wrong or not worth acknowledgment. My last thought is your last sentence sounds matter of fact or equally accepting in some respects. I don't value them remotely the same. Have a good day.

    Posted:
    Titleist TS2 9.5, Ventus 5 "S"
    Titleist TS2 16.5*, Ventus 7 "S"
    Titleist 718 T-MB 17* 2i, Steelfiber "S"
    Titleist 620 CB/MB 3i-PW, Steelfiber "S"
    SM6 F-52/8, Steelfiber "S"
    SM6 M-58/8, DG-S200
    SC California Monterey
    ProV1



  • PepperturboPepperturbo Midwest and SouthwestMembers  16676WRX Points: 947Handicap: Low-Mid SDPosts: 16,676 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #59

    On -, @j-rob said:

    I think some folks in this thread are confusing shame and humility. They are not the same thing.

    Not so much shame. Confusing Humity with ability and accomplishment versus the lack thereof.

    Posted:
    Titleist TS2 9.5, Ventus 5 "S"
    Titleist TS2 16.5*, Ventus 7 "S"
    Titleist 718 T-MB 17* 2i, Steelfiber "S"
    Titleist 620 CB/MB 3i-PW, Steelfiber "S"
    SM6 F-52/8, Steelfiber "S"
    SM6 M-58/8, DG-S200
    SC California Monterey
    ProV1



  • tatertottatertot Members  4611WRX Points: 923Posts: 4,611 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #60

    On -, @Pepperturbo said:

    On -, @cardoustie said:

    On -, @Pepperturbo said:

    On -, @cardoustie said:

    On -, @tatertot said:

    On -, @Pepperturbo said:

    Good story and a wise lesson that all could regard but probably won't. Truly, I have never been so brash or overly confident playing golf, or for that matter any other sport, that another person's behavior taught me a humbling lesson. However, I am humbled and honored to be acquainted with a few Seals, as well as Medal of Honor recipients.

    What a load of crap.

    I agree with

    On -, @TaterTot, sorry Pepper

    Somewhere down the line on the golf course - something happened that was humbling. I can probably come up with over 100 things in 5 minutes from the last 35 years
    I can picture 10 shots (at a minimum) alone hit by partners and opponents that humbled me to the core. Towering 2 irons from 230, over a tree then over a lake to a tucked back pin, off the base of a flag stick etc etc. That sort of thing. Example 2, Long drive guy in a scramble flying a 3 wood off the deck on a par 4, 320 onto a green and stopping it dead (there's a pond in front)

    Your welcome to your opinion and value but you're wrong when it comes to ME. I stand by what I said. Golf is just a game, like other sports I have participated in. We're NOT all the same, you should know that. Though golf has special learning moments I am not humbled by what happens good or bad in a sport, just accept my due. I grew up with manners and have always kept my ego in check. When one gets too big for their britches that's when they get knocked down a few notches hopefully feeling humbled, unfortunately, that isn't always the case. If you've ever trained for combat and seen what some men willingly do in combat to save brothers, feeling humbled by their vicinity and accomplishment is not like a golf event slapping you upside the head because your ego needed a reality check... It's about perspective.

    I'd also like to add a comment on the military. I am friends with many active & retired members and highly respectful, with full admiration of their position and choices. (My grandfather was actually in a German POW camp in the second world war) . So I get it.
    He was a big tough bear of a man (6'3" and 300) that lived to 88.
    That being said, I don't see how comparisons in life - for some - always relate back to military and sacrifice.
    There are many MANY life situations and experiences where perspective can be gained. Some people are dealt a rotten hand. Some everyday people are heroic.

    Perhaps you don't understand because you've never volunteered to be in the line of fire and willingly offer the ultimate sacrifice for a purpose greater than your own; I have and been around many men that have. People talk about what others do and see it on TV/movies but don't emotionally connect because they haven't done anything remotely similar and or wouldn't. Someone on the golf course or in any sport demonstrating an ability that is beyond the scope or ability of viewers IMO is just a trained ability.

    I am humbled when in the presence of men that take action not caring about the ultimate sacrifice. Let's put that in perspective. A man in a tournament hits a ball 400+ yards in the middle of the fairway. WOW, that's impressive, am I humbled, no, just impressed with his accomplishment. A man, over and over, runs into the field of fire to pull wounded brothers to safety, as the possible cost of his own life, sometimes by himself to save 5-20 brothers. Yep, I will always relate to the latter action as humbling and just hope that given the same circumstances, I react like him even today.
    I've played golf with touring pros, pro-Superbowl football stars and baseball players and guys that hit the ball a country mile by me; they are guys doing what they have trained for, consequently, their ability in certain areas are greater than yours and mine, that is all. A game isn't life and death. I chose different training endeavors that lead me to shoot a target 600-750 meters away, close-quarter combat, martial arts, etc., (I wasn't in the military) and building a national company and a 2-5 index. As a result of our positive accomplishments and experiences in life, our self-confidence, self-image and early childhood values play influential roles in what humbles us today.

    Yes, like you, I've gained a great deal of insight over my life. However, I was taught in Catholic schools to prioritize/value certain actions and behaviors over others that have degrees of right and wrong or not worth acknowledgment. My last thought is your last sentence sounds matter of fact or equally accepting in some respects. I don't value them remotely the same. Have a good day.

    "I chose different training endeavors that lead me to shoot a target 600-750 meters away, close-quarter combat, martial arts, etc., (I wasn't in the military) and building a national company and a 2-5 index."

    You left out the part where you threw the football over the mountain to win the the state semifinal game.

    In my life, I've had the opportunity meet and interview a lot of very successful people. Most of them would rather talk about almost anything BUT themselves, and almost always downplay their accomplishments while elevating others. You seem to be the exact opposite ... odd.

    Posted:
    Driver: TaylorMade M3, 10.5*
    Hybrid: Titleist 816 H1, 19*
    Long Iron: Ping iE1, 26*
    Mid Iron: Ping iE1, 32*
    Short Iron: Ping iE1, 41*
    Wedge: Ping iE1, 45*
    Gap: Ping Glide SS, 52*
    Lob: Ping Glide ES, 60*
    Putter: Yes Callie Mid, 41"
    Ball: Bridgestone Tour B XS
    Bag: Ping Mascot
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • j-robj-rob Members  1131WRX Points: 132Posts: 1,131 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #61

    It seems as if this thread is just devolving into an argument of semantics and virtue signaling.

    I guess a better topic for this thread so that there is no confusion would be: "When have you been the most impressed and the most ashamed in your golfing career?".

    Posted:
4

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.