Your most humbling experience on the course

13»

Comments

• lawsonmanlawsonman Freeport, IllinoisMembers Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I should just made it" when's the last time you got a beat down from someone twice your age". 😁

Welcome to where dumb opinions are better than no opinion. :)

Ping G400 9°
    Ping Anser 17,20,23, hybrid
    Ping G410 6-UW
    Ping Glide 54,58ES
    Scotty Cameron Newport 3
    Ping DLX Bag

Snell MTB Black
  • HitEmTrueHitEmTrue North TexasMembers Posts: 6,559 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Jul 16, 2019 10:33pm #63

@phatchrisrules said:

That is the one rule in golf I wish was changed. There should be no penalty for a lost ball in play. A tour pro has never lost a ball by slicing it or hooking it just off the regular boundary of the hole. They have all of these other "no fault" rules like the accidental moving and whatnot. I just don't understand why I have to take stroke and distance when I know Weekend Walter on the fairway over picked up my ball or hit my ball instead of the Noodle I found at approximately the same spot my drive was expected to be in. I had that happen to me on Monday -- once I physically saw someone bend down and pick up my ball but they were too far ahead to confront them and two other times the ball just vanished in a spot it very clearly should have been.

Tour pros have lost golf ball hit just off the boundary of a hole--whatever that is. They aren't always being followed by cameras and a large gallery. Pretty sure a player lost a ball on an event I was watching on TV last month.

I can't even imagine how you theoretical rule would work. No penalty if you should find your ball, but yes penalty if you shouldn't find it? Who makes that judgement call?

BTW, if you see someone take your ball, you replace it (penalty free) and move on.

Post edited by HitEmTrue on
  • PepperturboPepperturbo Midwest and SouthwestMembers Posts: 15,810 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Jul 16, 2019 6:54pm #64

@tatertot said:

@Pepperturbo said:

@cardoustie said:

@Pepperturbo said:

@cardoustie said:

@tatertot said:

@Pepperturbo said:
    Good story and a wise lesson that all could regard but probably won't. Truly, I have never been so brash or overly confident playing golf, or for that matter any other sport, that another person's behavior taught me a humbling lesson. However, I am humbled and honored to be acquainted with a few Seals, as well as Medal of Honor recipients.

What a load of crap.

I agree with @TaterTot, sorry Pepper
    Somewhere down the line on the golf course - something happened that was humbling. I can probably come up with over 100 things in 5 minutes from the last 35 years
    I can picture 10 shots (at a minimum) alone hit by partners and opponents that humbled me to the core. Towering 2 irons from 230, over a tree then over a lake to a tucked back pin, off the base of a flag stick etc etc. That sort of thing. Example 2, Long drive guy in a scramble flying a 3 wood off the deck on a par 4, 320 onto a green and stopping it dead (there's a pond in front)

Your welcome to your opinion and value but you're wrong when it comes to ME. I stand by what I said. Golf is just a game, like other sports I have participated in. We're NOT all the same, you should know that. Though golf has special learning moments I am not humbled by what happens good or bad in a sport, just accept my due. I grew up with manners and have always kept my ego in check. When one gets too big for their britches that's when they get knocked down a few notches hopefully feeling humbled, unfortunately, that isn't always the case. If you've ever trained for combat and seen what some men willingly do in combat to save brothers, feeling humbled by their vicinity and accomplishment is not like a golf event slapping you upside the head because your ego needed a reality check... It's about perspective.

I'd also like to add a comment on the military. I am friends with many active & retired members and highly respectful, with full admiration of their position and choices. (My grandfather was actually in a German POW camp in the second world war) . So I get it.
    He was a big tough bear of a man (6'3" and 300) that lived to 88.
    That being said, I don't see how comparisons in life - for some - always relate back to military and sacrifice.
    There are many MANY life situations and experiences where perspective can be gained. Some people are dealt a rotten hand. Some everyday people are heroic.

Perhaps you don't understand because you've never volunteered to be in the line of fire and willingly offer the ultimate sacrifice for a purpose greater than your own; I have and been around many men that have. People talk about what others do and see it on TV/movies but don't emotionally connect because they haven't done anything remotely similar and or wouldn't. Someone on the golf course or in any sport demonstrating an ability that is beyond the scope or ability of viewers IMO is just a trained ability.

I am humbled when in the presence of men that take action not caring about the ultimate sacrifice. Let's put that in perspective. A man in a tournament hits a ball 400+ yards in the middle of the fairway. WOW, that's impressive, am I humbled, no, just impressed with his accomplishment. A man, over and over, runs into the field of fire to pull wounded brothers to safety, as the possible cost of his own life, sometimes by himself to save 5-20 brothers. Yep, I will always relate to the latter action as humbling and just hope that given the same circumstances, I react like him even today.
    I've played golf with touring pros, pro-Superbowl football stars and baseball players and guys that hit the ball a country mile by me; they are guys doing what they have trained for, consequently, their ability in certain areas are greater than yours and mine, that is all. A game isn't life and death. I chose different training endeavors that lead me to shoot a target 600-750 meters away, close-quarter combat, martial arts, etc., (I wasn't in the military) and building a national company and a 2-5 index. As a result of our positive accomplishments and experiences in life, our self-confidence, self-image and early childhood values play influential roles in what humbles us today.

Yes, like you, I've gained a great deal of insight over my life. However, I was taught in Catholic schools to prioritize/value certain actions and behaviors over others that have degrees of right and wrong or not worth acknowledgment. My last thought is your last sentence sounds matter of fact or equally accepting in some respects. I don't value them remotely the same. Have a good day.

"I chose different training endeavors that lead me to shoot a target 600-750 meters away, close-quarter combat, martial arts, etc., (I wasn't in the military) and building a national company and a 2-5 index."

You left out the part where you threw the football over the mountain to win the the state semifinal game.

In my life, I've had the opportunity meet and interview a lot of very successful people. Most of them would rather talk about almost anything BUT themselves, and almost always downplay their accomplishments while elevating others. You seem to be the exact opposite ... odd.

Least you are consistent. I am really sorry not to live up to your limited stereotype versions of successful people. No, I am not humbled by your bias. I am done with this.

• Titleist TS2 9.5, PX HZRDUS Red 6.0
    • Titleist 917D2 15*, Diamana Blueboard 83 x5ct,"S"
    • Titleist 716T-MB 17* 2 iron, Steelfiber i95cw "S"
    • Titleist 716CB 3i-9i, Steelfiber i95cw "S"
    • Titleist 716CB PW, Steelfiber i110cw "S"
    • SM6 F-52*, Steelfiber i110cw "S"
    • SM6 M-58*, DG-S200
    • SC California Monterey
    • ProV1x

• cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Tasmania to CanadaMembers Posts: 12,490 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Pepper - at least your bragging (false or real) is consistent

Ping G410 LST 11.5* Aldila Nasty Long 60x
    Ping G400 3w 13.9* X-Torsion Cu 60s
    Callaway GBB 5w 17.5* NVS 85x
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* Catalyst 70s
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* Mitsu KK 80s
    Ping Blueprints 6i-PW DG xp115 x100 p-spec org dot
    Vokey sm2 TVD M grinds 50*, 54* & 60* DG s400 Onyx
    Scotty X7m
  • MtlJeffMtlJeff MontrealMembers Posts: 28,660 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Jul 16, 2019 10:05pm #66

@lawsonman said:
    I should just made it" when's the last time you got a beat down from someone twice your age". 😁

Had a very witty comment here. But no version of it doesn't get asterisked out LOL

Ping G400 Max 10 w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Epic Subzero 14* w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20 w/Diamana D+ 95
    Ping G410 4-SW w/S300
    Callaway MD 2.0 60 PM grind w/S300
    Odyssey O-works Red Tank #7
  • Man_O_WarMan_O_War Members Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

told this guy how good i was..then proceeded to top one off the first tee. Shaved. IT was a weird shot...Fell two feet from the tee peg. Couldn't make eye contact for a while. i was young then

Cobra F9 Camo/LTD PRO/LTD BLACK  Matrix F6M2/Project X LZ 6.0 71g HC/ 
    Cobra LTD 3/4 Kai'li 80
    Cobra LTD 4/5 Kai'li 80
    TM Mid_Rescue TP 22*
    Cobra Fly Z  Pro Irons Modus 120x SSx2 4-pw
    RTX 3.0 50, 54, 60 Modus 125
    Machine LN M6
  • MoonlightgrmMoonlightgrm Members Posts: 920 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was a member at a club from 1985-1991 and won the Club Championship 3 times in that span. I I could shoot even par in my sleep at this course. I joined another club in 1992 because it was a much more challenging track and had a terrific practice facility on its 288-acre property. In 1995 the one of the qualifiers for our state mid-amateur was being held at my old club. However, in 1995 I had developed a case of the hooks. No matter what I did, an ugly hook would show up at the most inappropriate time. I entered the tournament figuring my old stomping ground would be good medicine for my swing woes. When I checked in the pro told me I was a lock to qualify. Usually 1 or 2 over par gets in and this site was taking 7 qualifiers. The first hole is a straight away par 5, measuring 520-yards. It's a great opening hole to get you settled into your round. I aimed right, playing for my draw/sometimes hook and blocked it dead right out of bounds! I opened with a double bogey. I shot 41 front and 40 back for a smooth 81, 9-over par. Walking off of 18-green, I thought of posting "no card", but figured that'd be as disgusting as my round. My old pro asked me what happened and I told him my take of woe. He recommended Bob Rotella's book and even suggested a sports psychologist. He'd "been there", too. I bought the book and the CDs for my car. It was money well spent. It took some time to get my game back, but I finally got there. That 1995 mid-am was my all-time golfing low.

• Kevlar10Kevlar10 Members Posts: 91 ✭✭✭

My most humbling experiences weren’t about my play or my competition, it was about the course. Some tracks are very pedestrian and nothing special. Some are truly architectural marvels and are outright amazing. The way the architect sculpts them out of the existing landscape and the challenges that they draw out naturally, with a little man made kick in the a** added. I’m not referring to the totally man made, “fake” courses that are just trucked in soil and vegetation. It’s especially humbling when a course challenges you on every hole and when you finish, good score or bad, you just smile and say “Wow!”

• SixtySomePingSixtySomePing Members Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

My most humbling experience on the course which is what the thread is asking for, happened about 4 years ago. It was on a nice lazy summer afternoon at my local golf course where my league was. My oldest daughter had been asking if I could take her three kids, my grandchildren along with me sometime when I play golf just for fun. So I took the day off, knowing there would be practically no one there, and we could take our time as I explained what I was doing.
    The folks who run the course whom I know well, let us take 2 carts, and my grandson who was 14 at the time got to drive one. I put my bag in the other and off we went. I explained things like tee-box, and driver, irons, and approach shot, and par, and green. I told them to be quiet when I took my shot and to stand back behind me. They learned about the green and just all kinds of things. So the humbling moment came when we got to a par 5, which I explained to them was one of my favorite holes because many times I was able to birdie it, and I explained how, and what a birdie was, and they were getting into cheering for this. It was a dogleg left, and for whatever reason, I hit a hugely long tee ball, and decided to cut over a set of trees and pond with my 3-wood and go for the green. I couldn't see the actual green but I knew where it was of course. I really tagged that one too, and when we got down to the green, my ball was 2 1/2 from the hole. I couldn't believe it. They knew it was something special, but I took them onto the green and explained to them that they were about to see an eagle! I said I don't get many of these but you will see something very special, so be very quiet. I marked the ball like the pros do, cleaned it, looked at the hole, put my ball down, stood over the put, could sense they were watching, and totally pulled the putt to the left! Not only pulled it, but ran it past about 3 feet. Of course they all went 'awwww', sounded like a gallery of 5,000, and one of them said 'that's alright grandpa'... So I said, well, at least I'll still get a birdie, and sure enough, I putted short! I looked at them and my youngest granddaughter said 'now what grandpa? I said I have a new golf word for you- it's called a 'gimmie', and I picked up the ball and we all laughed...
    My grandson is going in the Army in September, and he was asking me about my league a few weeks ago, and he said 'have you had any gimmies lately?'

• ljrad1995ljrad1995 Members Posts: 98 ✭✭

When i was 17, I'd run through my state junior strokeplay tournament at -8 for 36 holes, qualified 3rd for the matchplay component. Won my first two matches 7/6 and 5/4 and i was thinking cruise control win in the semis and I'll be in the final. Stepped onto the first tee, downhill par 4 that I'd played well all week, probably 100 people watching, and snap hooked one across the next fairway out of bounds. Lost the hole and then the match 4/3. Learned quickly that overconfidence in golf will bite you in the **** quickly

TM M1 430cc 2016 9.5*. Hzrdus black 6.0 63g shaft.
    Callaway Epic Sub Zero 3W (15*) and 5W (18*) Fuji pro green 72X.
    Srixon U65 2 iron, aerotech steelfiber 110X.
    Mizuno MP4 3-PW, Dynalite gold X100 shafts.
    Mizuno T7 50.07, 55.09 and 60.10 blue ion. Dynalite gold X100
    RIFE antigua Island series blade putter
    Titleist ProV1x ball

5W and 2 Iron sub based on course and wind conditions, 50* replaces them on short courses.
  • Want2GetGoodWant2GetGood Members Posts: 57 ✭✭
    edited Jul 31, 2019 2:09am #72

I got beat by a 73 yr old in a match play comp. Despite being fairly new to the game, he was off 15 vs my 13, I just didn't believe he could beat me for his age, which he did, mostly due to me playing badly and him playing solid. Turns out he used to be off 5, had played the course for 40 years and won the comp twice in that time, but it was pure ageism on my part.

After the game my golf buddies laughed at me for losing to an "old guy", but 3 days later, he beats everyone (including those who laughed at me) at the club in the weekend comp and I got the last laugh and felt much better about my loss :)

Golf has a lot of instant karma in it, never get cocky or take it or people for granted, or bad things will happen.
    Lesson Learned.

• gene_brycegene_bryce Members Posts: 159 ✭✭✭

In 04' I played in the City Championship here. It was after my 1st year of playing college golf. I showed up that weekend ready to dominate everyone. I had heard about this older gentleman who was decent but never really played against him. No lie he was playing old mizuno blades, older woods, and ping anser putter. His bag was off colored green. The best part was he was a rancher/farmer work wore jeans, work shirt, and fixed his divots with a hunting knife. It was a 3 day tournament and you played 3 different courses. I opened with a 69 & 71 for a 3 shot lead going into the final round. He shot 72 & 71. We were paired together going into the last day I opened with a 1 under 35 and he shot 31. I was pressing at this point ending up shooting 71 and he fired a 63 to beat me into the ground. Come to find out he was a All-American at Baylor and had people offering to pay for him to go on tour. But he would rather be a farmer & rancher.

• ImpImp Fueled Members Posts: 6,022 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I'm right with the OP on that humbling part. Been there, done that.

Older players that can hit 150-200 and just be in the middle every time, up on the green, CLOSE, and 1 putt. I've said to myself many times, why do I even have a club that goes farther than 225?

--kC

Callaway Rogue 10.5 / Callaway Rogue 3W / Mizuno JPX-EZ Forged Irons / Callaway MD4 52*, 58*, 64*
  • PowderedToastManPowderedToastMan Members Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 7, 2019 1:15am #75

@Pepperturbo said:

@JJK947 said:
    The guy with no ego or inflated self perception is above being humbled by someone else's golf ability. Only the pinnacle of human sacrifice and valor is able to humble such a man. Right.

Speaking of abilities, being a scratch and a fairly long hitter, it's not overly common that something humbles me on the golf course but playing with guys who have done long drive is always fascinating. Their ability is not something that I can comprehend or relate to. On the self inflicted front, it's always humbling when testing the game in tournament mode doesn't doesn't come close to expectations. Triggers a mental reset for me.

I attended Catholic schools until college. Like others, I have an ID, Ego, and SuperEgo, and intimately acquainted with humility. Unfortunately, too many people redefine words not paying attention to why they exist in the first place. A few years back I played with a young guy that hit only one driver that day, from an elevated tee, it carried over 430 yards. No, I was not humbled by his ability, but impressed by his ability to smack the ball that hard.

Freudian psychology has been discredited for the better part of 100 years. You actually don’t have an id, ego, and superego. You have a brain.

I have been chronically ill for over two decades and am very sick most days. My life is good, but it’s really hard. I am still humbled by golf, A GAME. I’m humbled by a lot of things, because I’m open to growth and changing my views of the world.

Your definition of humble is totally wrong, by the way. I think you needed to pay closer attention at Catholic school.

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being. Reformed club ho.

In the bag:

PING. Lots of PING.
  • deadsolid...shankdeadsolid...shank ClubWRX Posts: 14,768 ClubWRX

“Oh Lord, it’s hard to be humble when you’re perfect in every way”!😀

If I had any computer ability I’d post a link to the song

Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
  • lawsonmanlawsonman Freeport, IllinoisMembers Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@deadsolid...shank said:
    “Oh Lord, it’s hard to be humble when you’re perfect in every way”!😀

If I had any computer ability I’d post a link to the song

THANKS A LOT!!!! I listened to and played that song in a band so much I wanted to rip my ears off. Through extensive therapy I had erased it from my mind until your post reminded me of it. I hate you! :)

Welcome to where dumb opinions are better than no opinion. :)

Ping G400 9°
    Ping Anser 17,20,23, hybrid
    Ping G410 6-UW
    Ping Glide 54,58ES
    Scotty Cameron Newport 3
    Ping DLX Bag

Snell MTB Black
  • Ski5280Ski5280 Denver, COMembers Posts: 49 ✭✭

We had a buddies trip to Vegas a few years ago and were playing Rio Secco. The cart girl drives up, and I proceed to miss an approach from about 165 out. She giggles and says “20 says I can put it on from here.” I hand her my club and with one of the most beautiful swings I’ve seen, knocks it within 5 feet of the pin. Lesson learned, don’t get hustled by the cart girl.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file